Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lazyfire posted:

That can be annoying especially when approvals run through a manager or you need direction on something. People get into those roles sometimes just because of technical competency and they never really drop what they were doing before being promoted.

That tendency is part of why my company gives you titles based on your level and business function. You can be a manager level person without any direct reports depending on what you are supposed to be doing. If you have nothing but shared services working your programs then you won't have anyone in your tree, so instead of trying to make you a people manager they just let you continue being an IC with a different title.

I feel like this is a big part of the problem when the ranking systems at every corporation basically function like the military, and even they developed warrant officers to deal with that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol my permissions all got pulled a week early so my computer is basically bricked.

On the other hand, I'm not doing any work today because of that.

Every other morning or so, my work computer will (suddenly and without warning) minimize all windows and pop up a message "your computer hasn't been restarted in X days, do you want to restart now?"

I do real-time court reporting. Having my transcription app, recording app, MS Teams, and the dozen other things all slam to a halt without warning (then *maybe* come back online properly) is just :discourse:

No, I can't restart, because IT will yell at me for breaking their tracking software

Edit: also there is a second popup that comes up sometimes saying "your PIV card password has expired. We will now log you out to update it in 30 seconds and there is nothing you can do about it." The relogging process only takes a few seconds and doesn't change my password or anything, just busts up my workflow that morning

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 24, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

My plant director and HR manager bought me some jumper cables, that was pretty cool. I was expecting nothing but platitudes so that's exceptionally cool.

Dudes did $950 worth of damage to my car because dude went at my ignition with a screwdriver to dump it out and hotwire... without dropping the underside sheath of the steering column. My mechanic had to spend 4 hours drilling that poo poo out and there was no ignition left when he finally broke it free.

Here, have a free video of my car at work at 2AM on Wednesday (imgur won't take the vid so it's twitter)

https://twitter.com/MrQwertykins/status/1583562502218035200

I will continue to demand they put those cameras up on the big TV between the CMs until the day the plant closes at this point

edit: note that dude's buddy closes the passenger side door to their truck to bug out and then dude opens it back up and has some words, I'm sure that was some "workplace" "drama"

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 24, 2022

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

People get into those roles sometimes just because of technical competency and they never really drop what they were doing before being promoted.

It's this, except he's an engineer and his Dunning Kruger brain means his perceived technical competency far exceeds his actual competency, so he doesn't drop what he should never have been doing.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It's so funny to me that if I wanted to I could send an email today and order 50 or even 100k yen worth of malt, 10k or yen more worth of yeast, same with hops. Because they're suppliers in our network. But because of how things are structured here I need to run approval up the chain of command all the way to the CEO for approval on ordering a couple thousand yen worth of hibiscus. I'm not going to be able to get it in time so I had to move the schedule around. We had some free yeast for a collaboration, so if the timing would have worked out I was gonna use the yeast for another beer (I cleared this with the person we're doing the collaboration with). Now I'm just gonna order yeast for ourselves and make a few beers with it, so it's not a huge deal. It's just goofy.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Escape From Noise posted:

It's so funny to me that if I wanted to I could send an email today and order 50 or even 100k yen worth of malt, 10k or yen more worth of yeast, same with hops. Because they're suppliers in our network. But because of how things are structured here I need to run approval up the chain of command all the way to the CEO for approval on ordering a couple thousand yen worth of hibiscus. I'm not going to be able to get it in time so I had to move the schedule around. We had some free yeast for a collaboration, so if the timing would have worked out I was gonna use the yeast for another beer (I cleared this with the person we're doing the collaboration with). Now I'm just gonna order yeast for ourselves and make a few beers with it, so it's not a huge deal. It's just goofy.

Where I work they'll trust me with a whole bunch of stuff that could produce a burning, toxic, carcinogenic cloud big enough to wreck the whole place, but they won't trust me with a packed lunch.

Organisations, hey?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atopian posted:

Where I work they'll trust me with a whole bunch of stuff that could produce a burning, toxic, carcinogenic cloud big enough to wreck the whole place, but they won't trust me with a packed lunch.

Organisations, hey?

What if you brought a carcinogenic lunch?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

This is China, so it probably would be by default.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We just got a TV mounted by our area that runs a looping Powerpoint of important IT news to weed out some of the more obvious dumb poo poo (e.g. "Here's where you go if the mail room says they have a package for you, because we don't have it" or "Here's the website where you can unlock your account" or "Yes! YES for the love of god YOU NEED A TICKET"). Right now it's just running from a USB drive, so we wanted to get another device like we installed on all the other TVs in the office so they can loop their own unified announcements and be configured remotely so we can add in slides to our TV for when there's outages.

So the co-worker who's been kind of in charge of the other signs reached out to the vendor for an estimate, telling them "We just need the box", and expecting a response of ~$400.

They want $5000 because they're insisting they draw of CAD plans for mounting it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

"I'm taking a smoke break."

"Ok."

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

"I'm taking a smoke break."

"Ok."

This poster gets it! Take a trip to flavor country!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's just goofy.

Supply chain due diligence is a thing, though. The suppliers in your network have likely been cleared and your company is confident that they aren’t involved in anything unethical that would expose your brewery to liability. You can’t just order whatever you want, because that hibiscus seller could be using child labour or dumping pollutants in the sea.

I mean, that’s always the justification, anyway. It may be that your CEO is just really into getting staff to get their approval.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Scientastic posted:

Supply chain due diligence is a thing, though. The suppliers in your network have likely been cleared and your company is confident that they aren’t involved in anything unethical that would expose your brewery to liability. You can’t just order whatever you want, because that hibiscus seller could be using child labour or dumping pollutants in the sea.

I mean, that’s always the justification, anyway. It may be that your CEO is just really into getting staff to get their approval.

Actually you're kinda right. The hibiscus industry is hilariously wasteful and a lot of growers have been criticized for dumping the plants at sea after they've harvested the flowers.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I knew it'd take extra time so I asked a month ahead of time. We also ordered it from Amazon before. I think the dumbass restaurant manager put it off. Whatever. It's fine.

Of course the day I'm brewing a lager is the day the glycol system decides to poo poo the bed. Not sure what I'm gonna do if this poo poo can't get fixed today.

Edit: Looks like it'll be able to at least hold the temperature at 10 degrees so I should be okay. Someone is supposed to come here soon.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 25, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Asked the restaurant manager if he's made any progress in getting accounts going with fruit puree providers. He asked what I meant so I referred to the messages I sent him with company information including contact information back in loving AUGUST!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I deliver chips on commission; I make 10% of my sales. The owner decided to order seventeen skids of 12oz Grippos, and only seven skids of the 8oz. We sell 3x as much of the 8oz as we do the 12oz so of course we're completely out, two days minimum before our next truck.

I made $50 today.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Salami Surgeon posted:

It's this, except he's an engineer and his Dunning Kruger brain means his perceived technical competency far exceeds his actual competency, so he doesn't drop what he should never have been doing.

Engineer Dunning Kruger is an amazing thing to experience. I've spent my entire career around them and I've never quite seen anything quite like them trying to apply their very focused intelligence towards figuring out the real cause of global warming (Solar Flares) and why they can't get the Excel File to work right while the big banner saying "Please enable macros to proceed" is right there (The Helpdesk corrupted the file!).

Asked the restaurant manager if he's made any progress in getting accounts going with fruit puree providers. He asked what I meant so I referred to the messages I sent him with company information including contact information back in loving AUGUST!

Does the restaurant have accounts with a broker/3rd Party vendor? A company that doesn't make anything and sells a ton of stuff from a number of other companies/manufacturers? It's not ideal because you'll pay a premium for anything they provide, but in cases where you can't go directly to a single source supplier you can use a company like that to make the purchase. It's how I bought poo poo off Amazon and Newegg to support our ancient system designs.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lazyfire posted:

Engineer Dunning Kruger is an amazing thing to experience. I've spent my entire career around them and I've never quite seen anything quite like them trying to apply their very focused intelligence towards figuring out the real cause of global warming (Solar Flares) and why they can't get the Excel File to work right while the big banner saying "Please enable macros to proceed" is right there (The Helpdesk corrupted the file!).

Explain this and watch them try and solve the Dunning Kruger problem using first principles

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

Does the restaurant have accounts with a broker/3rd Party vendor? A company that doesn't make anything and sells a ton of stuff from a number of other companies/manufacturers? It's not ideal because you'll pay a premium for anything they provide, but in cases where you can't go directly to a single source supplier you can use a company like that to make the purchase. It's how I bought poo poo off Amazon and Newegg to support our ancient system designs.

I get some things off Amazon or whatever if the regular restaurant or brewery supply doesn't have it. One of our brewery suppliers has aseptic fruit puree but the selection isn't great. I don't need this puree immediately but I know I'm gonna want it at the end of the year though, which is why I brought it up again. It's a long process getting stuff set up. I'm just sick of having to ride this guy's rear end to get anything done. I wish I could just do it myself. There's just no sort of easy third party supplier for things like 60-120 kilos of aseptic fruit puree that I know of. At least nothing practical.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I deliver chips on commission; I make 10% of my sales. The owner decided to order seventeen skids of 12oz Grippos, and only seven skids of the 8oz. We sell 3x as much of the 8oz as we do the 12oz so of course we're completely out, two days minimum before our next truck.

I made $50 today.

Regular or BBQ, because if they're not BBQ forget it! Also, have him get the BBQ Cheese Puffs, those things are amazing.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Lazyfire posted:

This is absolutely true. I love engineers. My grandfather was an engineer. My father was an engineer. My husband has worked as the only non-engineer in an engineering firm for over a decade. All of this time and experience around engineers has taught me that they are absolutely incapable of recognizing that all their intelligence and training has given them an inflated sense of what they are good at. Designing amazing, world changing machines? Yes. Absolutely. They are wonderful at that. Writing and video editing? No. Basic computer programs? Please, prevent your engineer from "improving" it unless you want it to never work again.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I get some things off Amazon or whatever if the regular restaurant or brewery supply doesn't have it. One of our brewery suppliers has aseptic fruit puree but the selection isn't great. I don't need this puree immediately but I know I'm gonna want it at the end of the year though, which is why I brought it up again. It's a long process getting stuff set up. I'm just sick of having to ride this guy's rear end to get anything done. I wish I could just do it myself. There's just no sort of easy third party supplier for things like 60-120 kilos of aseptic fruit puree that I know of. At least nothing practical.

That may be a Japan thing where there's just less of that product type available. Maybe the brewing supplier would be willing to order some other types special for you?

BrideOfUglycat posted:

This is absolutely true. I love engineers. My grandfather was an engineer. My father was an engineer. My husband has worked as the only non-engineer in an engineering firm for over a decade. All of this time and experience around engineers has taught me that they are absolutely incapable of recognizing that all their intelligence and training has given them an inflated sense of what they are good at. Designing amazing, world changing machines? Yes. Absolutely. They are wonderful at that. Writing and video editing? No. Basic computer programs? Please, prevent your engineer from "improving" it unless you want it to never work again.

My first job out of college was with a contracting company that assigned me to help organize/resolve design conflicts because the engineer who was my "boss" couldn't do it. What it became was making sure he didn't "fix" what I was working on because every suggestion he had was miserable. The example I always use is how he wanted me to color-code our issue tracker. This sounded miserable because I had charted over 300 issues (detail design was just starting) across two programs that had completely different personnel for each and either program had five disciplines/design teams. I suggested we just use the filters on the spreadsheet so people could find the issue type, person responsible, etc. Dragged my feet for months until my "boss" insisted it be done. I asked him how he anticipated I do this and he wanted severity, program, responsible team and disciplines involved to all factor in to each color. What I produced was the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I used just about every color imaginable based on the major factors (which systems had issues, who owned the action, the program, severity) and when I showed it to my boss he immediately asked it be reverted to the old form. I spent a lot of my time talking him out of making other decisions like that for my own sake.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

That may be a Japan thing where there's just less of that product type available. Maybe the brewing supplier would be willing to order some other types special for you?

It's just that this supplier doesn't stock a ton. It is sort of a Japan thing. They're a general supplier, but I don't use them so much if it can be avoided. They were the only game in town for a while so they still have a habit of sometimes shipping really old malt. They used to mix older harvest years of hops in with newer years but they seem to have stopped doing that as much. But that's why I'm trying to get us set up with these other suppliers. One is in Japan and I'm pretty sure it's the same company our other supplier gets their puree from, and the other is a Oregon Fruit supplier. I don't think our supplier would provide anything special for us they're kind of big and unwieldy.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm leaving my workplace and not looking back. Literally walking out.

I discovered they have been saying that I don't work. How the hell am I suppose to work if they can't pay the internet services? What the hell do they expect if they come asking for designs and logos one hour before a presentation? Or don't give me the information of the poo poo they need until weeks later, and just the same day they urgently need it.

The other day the owner's son asked me to do a power point presentation. I was like...what in the gently caress? He went on to sit down on the next room to play some videogame instead. The guy is an adult, a "lawyer", and he can't be bothered to do a loving power point presentation.

So, instead of talking with me,like adults, and see what's up with those rumors. They are trying to spy on me, trick me so they can check my personal phone messages, dying to see what I have on my personal laptop. Or they suddenly storm into my tiny office space and leave a second later, as if trying to catch me doing something shady.

Anyway, I talked to an old boss...waiting for her to call back and see if she wants me back on her printing company. I'm also waiting for a doctor to confirm, she's in the middle of an union campaign and is interested in having me as a designer and pseudo-community manager. GOD, I hope I get anything. lol

gently caress that place.

By the way, I spent a whole 10 days begging to be paid. Their first excuse, "Oh...we dunno what happened there, everyone got paid already. we are checking things." And final excuse: "we thought you weren't working, so we weren't paying you. But we see it' not true, our bad!"

gently caress off.

gently caress the gently caress off.
I go every single day, trying not to be late, doing whatever they want, working my rear end with their "urgent" designs, and they only buy on rumors and whatever.

So, mad. Me mad. haha.

Anyway, the whole company smelled of pyramid scheme-ish anyway.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

it is now a Coworker Controversy that our LLC that rents factory space that is functionally shutting down for a June finish-line isn't gonna cover me for my car.

Please, please, bitch about it nonstop people I work with.

poo poo, I was happy with the jumpers.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

gently caress em! Glad you got out!

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I made $50 today.

Oh poo poo, love some BBQ Grippos!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Desperado Bones posted:

Da Share Z0ne approves

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I made $50 today.

That kinda poo poo is why I refuse to work DSD jobs on pure commission. I'll do a good job and share in good fortune, but cuts and ordering mistakes can't bring me below a liveable wage.

That was literally his fault and you'll never get that money back.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cthulu Carl posted:

We just got a TV mounted by our area that runs a looping Powerpoint of important IT news to weed out some of the more obvious dumb poo poo (e.g. "Here's where you go if the mail room says they have a package for you, because we don't have it" or "Here's the website where you can unlock your account" or "Yes! YES for the love of god YOU NEED A TICKET").

Our podcast dept has access to giant monitors outside their cubicles. As their cubicles aren’t in a high traffic area these aren’t needed so they just run a looped video of a fireplace, perhaps to symbolize wasting electricity.

On another note coworkers work at a snails pace to turn out low quality content, & are not qualified for the jobs they have let alone other career paths. They have near zero supervision, metrics, or chance of being laid off, & have good pay & benefits. They’re like Orks in 40k wanting nothing but eternal war, they’ve already won.

Needless to say this is wildly unacceptable & they’ve zeroed in on not being given enough personal growth & career guidance, approaching the subject in a hostile & confrontational manner with management that has already led to one meeting devolving into a shouting match. While it’s true our leadership is lax on structure that’s nothing new & they are happy to pay for most any training an employee could want to learn new skills.

I’m happy in my role & get along fine with leadership so I’m staying far away, but it’s interesting how some folk have a toxic mindset & engage in self sabotage.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Our podcast dept

This reads like the intro from CarTalk.
"Hi folks, today we are broadcasting from Car Talk's Working Mother's Support Group Plaza"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Link the podcast you coward.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Splicer posted:

Da Share Z0ne approves

Someone send the admin my quote so they can make a rad pic.
lol

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Our podcast dept has access to giant monitors outside their cubicles. As their cubicles aren’t in a high traffic area these aren’t needed so they just run a looped video of a fireplace, perhaps to symbolize wasting electricity.

On another note coworkers work at a snails pace to turn out low quality content, & are not qualified for the jobs they have let alone other career paths. They have near zero supervision, metrics, or chance of being laid off, & have good pay & benefits. They’re like Orks in 40k wanting nothing but eternal war, they’ve already won.

Needless to say this is wildly unacceptable & they’ve zeroed in on not being given enough personal growth & career guidance, approaching the subject in a hostile & confrontational manner with management that has already led to one meeting devolving into a shouting match. While it’s true our leadership is lax on structure that’s nothing new & they are happy to pay for most any training an employee could want to learn new skills.

I’m happy in my role & get along fine with leadership so I’m staying far away, but it’s interesting how some folk have a toxic mindset & engage in self sabotage.

What industry is this mythical company that has internal podcasts and zero-effort positions?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Owners: "When you rack out barrel samples today, rack out one or two duplicates to make sure our testers are getting consistent results when testing for ABV."
Me: [makes 8 samples for the owners to taste, 10 samples to go to testing, labels 8 sample tray "FOR TASTE TESTING"]
Owners: [taste-test the 10-sample tray]
Owners: "Why didn't you make any duplicates for testing?"

Being a brewer so often means being a babysitter for owners whose brains go out the window the second a drop of alcohol enters their system. You'd think somebody would have noticed the difference between there being 8 cans and 10 cans. :bang:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

RocketMermaid posted:

Owners: "When you rack out barrel samples today, rack out one or two duplicates to make sure our testers are getting consistent results when testing for ABV."
Me: [makes 8 samples for the owners to taste, 10 samples to go to testing, labels 8 sample tray "FOR TASTE TESTING"]
Owners: [taste-test the 10-sample tray]
Owners: "Why didn't you make any duplicates for testing?"

Being a brewer so often means being a babysitter for owners whose brains go out the window the second a drop of alcohol enters their system. You'd think somebody would have noticed the difference between there being 8 cans and 10 cans. :bang:

You let management into your work area unsupervised and left something out they could interact with; this is on you. Next time immediately beat them with a sack full of doorknobs the second they enter your work area. hth.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Outrail posted:

immediately beat them with a sack full of doorknobs
Fixed that for you

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TheSpartacus posted:

Fixed that for you

:agreed: simplicity is key

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

:agreed: simplicity is key

I disagree. Sometimes a more complex system has a better payoff. Why take the time out of your day to beat your boss yourself with the sack of doorknobs, when you can hang the sack from a rope and have it slam into them at speed Home Alone style? Or rig up the Co2 tanks to a modified pony keg and potato gun smaller sacks of door knobs at them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tetrabor posted:

What industry is this mythical company that has internal podcasts and zero-effort positions?

Is there any MegaCorp that doesn’t have zero-effort positions? Seems inevitable once a company hits a certain size. I’d guess some hide it better than others.

goatface posted:

Link the podcast you coward.

lol I can’t (& wouldn’t anyway), this ten person dept that recruited a professional sound engineer couldn’t figure out how to set up a way to download eps so they just put it as an audio file on our internal video site. Sometimes their listenership hits double digits.

To be fair they are nice folk & don’t cause me any extra work, just baffling use of resources.