Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mirage posted:

This is entirely me playing devil's advocate, but: the whole concept behind crypto is that it doesn't have an "issuing party." This "FundCoin" or whatever Kickstarter is creating would exist outside of KS and continue to hold value even if KS itself went under, as long as other entities used it too. Which is kind of the rub, really.

Also since crypto isn't backed by government securities, one coin would have the same value no matter what country you're in, which makes receiving international funds a non-issue.

The downside, of course, is that it's yet another drat cryptocurrency with all their myriad problems.

In order for any of this to actually work, the entire supply chain would have to be based on "FundCoin". The moment you start converting into real currency, you lose all of the alleged benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Mirage posted:

This is entirely me playing devil's advocate, but: the whole concept behind crypto is that it doesn't have an "issuing party." This "FundCoin" or whatever Kickstarter is creating would exist outside of KS and continue to hold value even if KS itself went under, as long as other entities used it too. Which is kind of the rub, really.

Also since crypto isn't backed by government securities, one coin would have the same value no matter what country you're in, which makes receiving international funds a non-issue.

The downside, of course, is that it's yet another drat cryptocurrency with all their myriad problems.

If it was independent from KS, then why would KS invest in developing it? Where are they making their money? I mean other than using the project as a way to get investors to waste their money on the current buzzword.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Bucnasti posted:

If it was independent from KS, then why would KS invest in developing it? Where are they making their money? I mean other than using the project as a way to get investors to waste their money on the current buzzword.

This is what every blockchain startup struggles with but ESPECIALLY Kickstarter. Their model is already proven! There’s no need to improve on it unless they are adding Backerkit-style post campaign support.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Lumbermouth posted:

This is what every blockchain startup struggles with but ESPECIALLY Kickstarter. Their model is already proven! There’s no need to improve on it unless they are adding Backerkit-style post campaign support.

There's a card game called Burn Rate that's about the dot com bubble, there's no way to win it's just about being the last company to lose. I really want to make a game like that about Web3 and then Kickstart it.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bucnasti posted:

Getting investors to waste money or capitalizing on Cryptobros fomo is the entire point. Blockchain is the exact opposite of good tech development practices. It assumes a solution and then tries to make problems fit the solution. Any problem that is selected for a blockchain solution would be solved easier, cheaper, better by any other possible solution.

It’s just like AR, metaverse, etc. it’s all bullshit to get more investment. And it gets more investment because you have the big consulting firms and financial firms telling people it’s the next big thing and hyping it. Most big new technology is a complete scam that is perpetuated by Bain, McKinsey, etc.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bucnasti posted:

There's a card game called Burn Rate that's about the dot com bubble, there's no way to win it's just about being the last company to lose. I really want to make a game like that about Web3 and then Kickstart it.

There already is a game called Ponzi Scheme.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

A former Fantasy Flight Games tabletop dev has just come out with a new dogfighting game on kickstarter that looks pretty cool. Looks like it combines deckbuilding with the maneuvering gameplay of X-Wing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aerodome/aerodome-season-1

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bucnasti posted:

Amabel Holland is planning an expansion to For-Ex about cryptocurrency, iirc

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Itten + Knizia make some games

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/itten-games/funbrick-series

The boxes can be shoved into very narrow places.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Commissar Canuck posted:

A former Fantasy Flight Games tabletop dev has just come out with a new dogfighting game on kickstarter that looks pretty cool. Looks like it combines deckbuilding with the maneuvering gameplay of X-Wing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aerodome/aerodome-season-1

Mechanically, that’s my jam. But that is some wildly uninspiring art. Will watch with interest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SelenicMartian posted:

WarioWare physical editions

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Those are some cute games, but the two I'd be interested in (Viking See-Saw and 3 Second Try) look to be in separate sets. So.. I guess I'd have to also pick up the Ninja game just to get those two? That's kinda jank.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Chip Theory Games (Too Many Bones) has its new project up on Gamefound, and it's a little smaller and more affordable than their normal fare: a small solo deck/dice game called 20 Strong.

$30 for the base game, or $65 for the base game plus TMB and Hoplomachus themed expansion decks.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Chip Theory Games (Too Many Bones) has its new project up on Gamefound

You had me real excited up to this point, because I thought it was a different game. They're making an Elder Scrolls game, and I'm dying to see more info on that.

https://chiptheorygames.com/the-elder-scrolls/

edit: I'm back on-board, I remembered I've been looking for a good solo game.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SelenicMartian posted:

That's exactly where Knizia can shove his games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, even if they built this one protocol to rule them all, why would any other crowdfunding site want to put themselves on a blockchain project owned by a competitor?

It strikes me as the usual crypto nonsense. 'The only reason nobody has a monopoly on this industry is because they haven't built a good enough protocol yet' techbro stuff.

Xkcd competing standards dot pee in gee

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kwyndig posted:

So why is this CEO guy promising poo poo that's never going to happen, like one standard for crowd funding on a Blockchain. Just pie in the sky bullshit that's never happen because there's already like a hundred different coins in circulation so why wouldn't indiegogo just say gently caress Kickstarter and make their own Blockchain. Since they're decentralized there's very little risk in starting a new project on a Blockchain.

There's the "universal currency" thing Mirage mentioned, which immediately falls apart when converting into other currencies, and has additional issues of crypto prices being wildly unstable and most crypto currency transactions taking an impractical amount of time to process. They were also floating some vague thing about how you could use the blockchain to deliver unique kickstarter rewards to people... because what everyone really wants is for their backer rewards delivered to them as NFTs.

The real answer is that "decentralized currency" and "open ledgers" is catnip to tech bros who think it will liberate all of us somehow and/or they want us to convert immediately to this thing they've already invested a lot of capital in so that the pyramid-shaped structure they're sitting on top of right now gets really tall and is worth a lot when they cash out and move on to the next scheme.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
John Butterfield (Enemy Action: Ardennes, and Enemy Action: Kharkov) is working on a remake of an old game that is near and dear to my heart: Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora

It's a logistical exploration game where your ship and crew are on an n-year mission to explore strange new worlds, encounter new life, take samples (including caging "beasts" for humane study), and make it back home & find out if you did enough to get famous, or end up driving space cabs.

tl;dr :f5::siren::f5::siren::f5::siren::f5::siren::f5::siren:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

if you wanna kickstart a tiny paint company

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ttcfm2/ttcombat-paints-and-washes/description

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The Eyes Have It posted:

Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora

I did not read this title correctly.

:pervert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Eyes Have It posted:

John Butterfield (Enemy Action: Ardennes, and Enemy Action: Kharkov) is working on a remake of an old game that is near and dear to my heart: Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora

It's a logistical exploration game where your ship and crew are on an n-year mission to explore strange new worlds, encounter new life, take samples (including caging "beasts" for humane study), and make it back home & find out if you did enough to get famous, or end up driving space cabs.

Sounds like Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, so I’m in.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The game existed only as a few pages and a set of cardboard tokens in a gaming magazine from oh, close to forty years ago?

The game is played on multiple maps at different scales (this is something not seen much nowadays, maybe Titan is the best known modern example but that's actually not a very "modern" game)

Here's the interstellar map.

Here's an example of scan results for a planet:
Not geologically active, no significant bodies of water, heavy gravity, poison atmosphere, every turn consumes 4 life support (the max). Climate is TBD.

And an example of a short expedition on foot from the shuttle landing, ran into a fairly harmless local lifeform.

Each of those little hex maps are the maps used for a particular planetary combination of geology, etc. Exploring the hexes has the player referring to numbered paragraphs with some state tracking. (Sounds like CYOA but it's not really although there are a few elements of it.)

It was a management game, mainly about how best to spend one's limited resources for maximum gain, but a lot of things are unknown and only predictable in a limited way, or known only once you "put boots on the ground".

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That looks like it loving rules.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mirage posted:

In practice that is never true. Whoever writes the protocol writes in their own biases and control. Not to mention for cryptocurrency implementations, they universally pre-mine supplies of it so they can sell if it takes off for free profit.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Eyes Have It posted:

Oh wow, I think I have that somewhere still.

e: nope, it's the Wreck of the B. S. M. Pandora.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 26, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not to reopen a :can:, but Wyrmwood are likely gonna pull the plug on the Desk KS and doing what I said they should do - relaunch MGT 2.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wR--OWwHis

It's just a weird product all around, especially as you as An Gamer can get sit-stand desks like the following for a lot cheaper and they're more blinged towards what their clients likely want anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpnfTg7EhDA

Wyrmwood's desk is a boutique thing, and should have always been so. They need to stick to high-end gaming products.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Here's an interesting looking game about putting together outfits. It does that annoying thing where all the text is done as images, but the images have cute cats so I'm less annoyed than usual.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Eyes Have It posted:

The game is played on multiple maps at different scales
Sound like John Carter from 1979, but less sexist?

In other news, the stupidly colourful British game about Día de los Muertos, Die of the Dead, is getting a reprint, a solo module, and a puppy expansion.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/radical8games/die-of-the-dead-xolo-expansion-and-ofrenda-variant

Also, if you ever need tiny coffins for your game components…

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Eyes Have It posted:

The game existed only as a few pages and a set of cardboard tokens in a gaming magazine from oh, close to forty years ago?

Apparently all of Ares Magazine is on archive.org, they did some good stuff.

https://archive.org/details/AresMagazine06_VoyageoftheBSMPandora/mode/2up

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

mllaneza posted:

Apparently all of Ares Magazine is on archive.org, they did some good stuff.

https://archive.org/details/AresMagazine06_VoyageoftheBSMPandora/mode/2up

Dang, 41 years ago. :corsair:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Here's an interesting looking game about putting together outfits. It does that annoying thing where all the text is done as images, but the images have cute cats so I'm less annoyed than usual.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Cthulhu: Death May Die has its second kickstarter live right now (a few days old):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/dmd-fear-of-the-unknown

They just added reprints of the exclusives from the first kickstarter as well as the loving huge Cthulhu figure expansion. I missed out on the original kickstarter but really enjoy the game and am absolutely buying and painting an excessively large Cthulhu miniature.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

The sequel to The King's Dilemma, a legacy game about politicking and intrigue, went up earlier this week:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/horribleguild/the-queens-dilemma

Also, while the Kickstarter is going, The King's Dilemma is on sale on their website.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Saltpowered posted:

Cthulhu: Death May Die has its second kickstarter live right now (a few days old):

They just added reprints of the exclusives from the first kickstarter as well as the loving huge Cthulhu figure expansion. I missed out on the original kickstarter but really enjoy the game and am absolutely buying and painting an excessively large Cthulhu miniature.

I'm interested in DMD but $120 for a stretch goals box? GTFO.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My copy of Hamlet arrived, and my gosh what a lovely little box from a production point of view.
Lots of cardboard and wood, bare minimum plastic.

Will post some pics later.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: 2hr warning on Harrow County :siren:
Know there's a few Goons interested

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindmgmt/harrow-county-the-game-of-gothic-conflict

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Saltpowered posted:

Is each episode like a mission? wondering how much I need the $120 pack...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

I'm interested in DMD but $120 for a stretch goals box? GTFO.

From what I understand the box is imbalanced and not as great as core experience, an easy skip for the non-completionist.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Is each episode like a mission? wondering how much I need the $120 pack...

Oh you don't. I had the original and there was plenty there. The retail one came with six episodes and two big baddies which works out to twelve missions. At no time did I ever wish I had more plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Tsilkani posted:

The sequel to The King's Dilemma, a legacy game about politicking and intrigue, went up earlier this week:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/horribleguild/the-queens-dilemma

Also, while the Kickstarter is going, The King's Dilemma is on sale on their website.

Backed and just to recommend Kings Dilemma to any goons that enjoy politicking/story driven games.