Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Turns out Wrestling fans don't want to see a concert at a Wrestling event

The West Texas Rednecks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Turns out Wrestling fans don't want to see a concert at a Wrestling event (Unless it's Jam, Project at the start of an Event in Japan cause Jam Project)
This can be flexed if it's outdoors, free, on Spring Break, with Fear Factory.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I still find it hard to believe Eminem or Marilyn Manson never appeared on WWF TV during the Attitude Era.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I still find it hard to believe Eminem or Marilyn Manson never appeared on WWF TV during the Attitude Era.

Manson had a song be a theme for Smackdown

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I recently subscribed to Peacock+ and see they have a ton of wrestling shows. I know next to nothing about wrestling, but have looked around the net and know about some of what WCW/NWA put out. Is there a good list of what to watch from 70s to 00s? Should I just watch all of the PPVs then jump into the "Monday Night Wars"? I know Ric Flair, Dusty Baker, Sting, Hulk Hogan, and the NWO are essential to WCW/NWA, but is there anyone else I should keep an eye out for?

I've already watched Starrcade '83. Flair, Rickey Steamboat, Charlie Brown, Roddy Piper, Bugsy McGraw and Rufus R. Jones were all enjoyable personalities.

I am interested in the late 80s/early 90s era, but everything I read says the weekly shows are bad.

I browsed some parts of this thread and it seems like the catch-all WCW/NWA/Crockett thread so I hope my questions are in the right place.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 25, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

I recently subscribed to Peacock+ and see they have a ton of wrestling shows. I know next to nothing about wrestling, but have looked around the net and know about some of what WCW/NWA put out. Is there a good list of what to watch from 70s to 00s? Should I just watch all of the PPVs then jump into the "Monday Night Wars"? I know Ric Flair, Dusty Baker, Sting, Hulk Hogan, and the NWO are essential to WCW/NWA, but is there anyone else I should keep an eye out for?

I've already watched Starrcade '83. Flair, Rickey Steamboat, Charlie Brown, Roddy Piper, Bugsy McGraw and Rufus R. Jones were all enjoyable personalities.

I browsed some parts of this thread and it seems like the catch-all WCW/NWA/Crockett thread so I hope my questions are in the right place.

These would be the best top to bottom shows I can think of

Clash of the Champions 1
Starrcade 88
Great American Bash 89
Clash of the Champions 9
SuperBrawl I
WrestleWar 91
WrestleWar 92
SuperBrawl III
Spring Stampede 94

Also watch the 3 Flair/Steamboat matches from 89 but the full cards aren't really fantastic.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think wrestlewar 89 holds up actually no theres a lot of garbage filler but the flair/steamboat match is worth it along with the post match angle

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 25, 2022

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Late 1996 and all of 1997 were great for WCW. I've found the episodes of Nitro after the NWO formed really interesting. You should watch the Diamond Dallas Page vs Randy Savage feud, because it's probably the last great thing Savage ever did as a wrestler. They wrestle three matches at Spring Stampede, The Great American Bash and Halloween Havoc, all in 1997.

There's also a side-quest match of DDP and Curt Hennig vs Savage and Scott Hall at Bash At The Beach which leads to DDP vs Curt Hennig at Starrcade 97, possibly Hennig's last ever good match.

1998 isn't as good as 97 but there are some gems out there: the DDP vs Raven vs Chris Benoit saga, DDP vs Sting on Nitro, Goldberg vs Hollywood Hogan on Nitro, the rise of Booker T as a singles guy and finall, DDP vs Goldberg at Halloween Havoc. Then WCW pretty much falls off a cliff in 99 and never recovers.

Man, I just realised DDP was doing some heavy lifting keeping WCW watchable in the '90s.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I found this reddit watch list and would all of you say it is good or too much?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't think Fall 93 is good at all, Winter 99 is very bad and April 2000 is awful.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think Fall 93 is good at all, Winter 99 is very bad and April 2000 is awful.

Ok so take those out and add the PPVs and I should be good?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok so take those out and add the PPVs and I should be good?

The only PPVs I'd bother watching from Halloween Havoc 98 through the end of the company are Spring Stampede 99 and Greed. The rest are really genuinely bad. Also I missed the guy saying September of 99 through November is good, that's some of the worst poo poo the company ever did. Although there is one really funny Nitro in there.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MassRafTer posted:

The only PPVs I'd bother watching from Halloween Havoc 98 through the end of the company are Spring Stampede 99 and Greed. The rest are really genuinely bad. Also I missed the guy saying September of 99 through November is good, that's some of the worst poo poo the company ever did. Although there is one really funny Nitro in there.

Ok. Thank you for all the help. :)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok. Thank you for all the help. :)

Also WCW is weird in general where during the Monday Night Wars the TV is way better than the PPVs for the most part. Watching every Nitro was a lot of fun but late 96 through early 98 was incredibly fun when we did our rewatch... but the PPVs are often just kind of there.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The TV was where everything happened because Bischoff was obsessed with TV ratings rather than PPV buy rates.

If its in the award winning WWE network on Peacock© (and it should be) you could probably do worse than watch some Mid-South Wrestling. Start in 1983 and continue to 1986. It is some of the best weekly TV from the territories era.

If these aren't on peacock they'll be on youtube.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MrBling posted:

The TV was where everything happened because Bischoff was obsessed with TV ratings rather than PPV buy rates.

If its in the award winning WWE network on Peacock© (and it should be) you could probably do worse than watch some Mid-South Wrestling. Start in 1983 and continue to 1986. It is some of the best weekly TV from the territories era.

If these aren't on peacock they'll be on youtube.

They are. I watched a couple of episodes of the mid-atlantic and it was really dry.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
yeah. Mid-Atlantic can be a bit rough, since its a lot of studio wrestling with fairly small crowds.

Mid-South has some crowds that are really into it, some good workers and some good booking back when Bill Watts was actually the best booker in the business.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Dusty Baker wasn't in NWA/JCP/WCW. That was Scott Hall - you must have seen the toothpick and got confused.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Dusty Baker wasn't in NWA/JCP/WCW. That was Scott Hall - you must have seen the toothpick and got confused.

I meant Dusty rhodes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That cover is so loving bad.

https://twitter.com/WCWNitroBook/status/1584265480663359488

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can't wait to read 300 pages of Bischoff insulting anybody that's ever disagreed with him, calling them marks.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

"Highly anticipated" doing a looot of heavy lifting there

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Can't wait to read 300 pages of Bischoff insulting anybody that's ever disagreed with him, calling them marks.

Don't forget him, well, forgetting even basic details of events.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

MassRafTer posted:

Do what I did and watch El Generico's mash-ups of those late '99 Nitros

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x810e4e

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Does anyone have a link to the youtube video that has random clips of Nitro set to the Ben Folds song "Annie Waits"?

I'm pretty sure it was posted in this thread a long time ago but I can't find it

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A little bit late on WCW wasting money on singers:

Remember when The Cat was going on and on for months about how he knew James Brown as part of his self aggrandizing blowhard character. Then WCW paid a shitload of cash to get James Brown actually show up and dance with him. Only they did it on PPV with no build up and no real fanfare and it didn't draw a single extra viewer.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

BrigadierSensible posted:

A little bit late on WCW wasting money on singers:

Remember when The Cat was going on and on for months about how he knew James Brown as part of his self aggrandizing blowhard character. Then WCW paid a shitload of cash to get James Brown actually show up and dance with him. Only they did it on PPV with no build up and no real fanfare and it didn't draw a single extra viewer.

I bet that was a decent six figure payday for James Brown, easy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Starrcadde 84 rules. Some great matches and modern wrestling started taking shape.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Wrong Starrcade!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

haljordan posted:

"Highly anticipated" doing a looot of heavy lifting there

"It is highly anticipated by me, Mr. Tterrag Ffohcsib! Please don't ask about the tattoo on my chest!"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
MAGNUM T.A.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've seen a couple videos of people trying to explain or make fun of Bobby Heenan spoiling Hogan's heel turn, but did he at least get a chance to crow about being right after the fact?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/iandrewthegiant/status/1587613613908443136?s=46&t=UQBC7ZTQuFgB5w51cSHMLg

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's an unfortunate choice of trunks for Konnan there

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

just found this on an old machine

(recreation of the prototype name/logo of WCW Nitro)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

early 90s graphic design was unmatched

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Did you know that Comet Hale Bopp became visible to the naked eye in May of 1996 as the nWo invasion began?

Did you also know that it stopped being visible to the naked eye in December of 1997 before Sting vs Hogan?

Have you ever wondered what the Heaven's Gate cult really knew???????

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Did you know that Comet Hale Bopp became visible to the naked eye in May of 1996 as the nWo invasion began?

Did you also know that it stopped being visible to the naked eye in December of 1997 before Sting vs Hogan?

Have you ever wondered what the Heaven's Gate cult really knew???????

Hale Bopp sounds like a jobber on WCW Saturday Night in 1992.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Hale Bopp sounds like a jobber on WCW Saturday Night in 1992.

No it was a comet.