Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
At the start of the game each players removes between 1-8 pawns from the board and sets them in their research laboratory. Each pawn in the research laboratory accelerates the rate of research.

Note: players do not have to announce the number of pawns being moved to the research laboratory. Only remove pawns once the fog of war divider is placed on the board at the start of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Before the game, bid to determine who will go first in the tech / promotion ban phase. The same piece cannot have both its tech and promotion banned.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
can't believe someone with "Elo" and "NM" in his name wouldn't want to get into chess.

the gamer pride part of it reminds me of David Sirlin's Chess 2: The Sequel to Chess

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

vyelkin posted:

imagining a tech tree for chess: you start with only pawns and they can only move one square, after five moves you can choose to unlock either knights or bishops, or you can go down the pawn tree and unlock the double first move. To unlock en passant you have to have both the double pawn move and knights unlocked. Either knights or bishops lets you unlock rooks, and once you've unlocked rooks you can unlock your queen or research the ability to castle

bishops, rooks, and queen all start only able to move up to two squares and you have to research the ability for them to travel the whole board at once

endgame tech: unlock the ability for your queen to also move like a knight

pawns start out without the ability to promote, you have o research that too

thank you elon this is such a better game

Elon wouldn't want pawns to get promoted or stronger. He would sacrifice pawns to make himself the king better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Elon wouldn't want pawns to get promoted or stronger. He would sacrifice pawns to make himself the king better.

that's true, okay, endgame tech lets you sacrifice a pawn to increase your king's movement range by 1 for each pawn sacrificed. if you keep at least 7 pawns alive until the endgame you can sac them all to give your king queen-level movement

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ilmucche posted:

This is how chess used to be played. People thought the role of pawns was to die for the aristocracy, and it was immoral to protect them. It's probably not a coincidence that Philidor wrote "pawns are the soul of chess" in the intellectual lead up to the French Revolution.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vyelkin posted:

imagining a tech tree for chess: you start with only pawns and they can only move one square, after five moves you can choose to unlock either knights or bishops,

fundamental opening principles work the same way

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Want to take control of the early game? Quickly tech into g7 to unlock Fianchetto Bishop and advance your Modern Defense trait

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Want to take control of the early game? Quickly tech into g7 to unlock Fianchetto Bishop and advance your Modern Defense trait

Achievement Unlocked: Long Diagonal

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Who is better?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Salt Fish posted:

Who is better?

Unless I'm missing something it's white by a long shot, though the size of the lead depends on who is next to move.

If it's white to move, you win the game immediately with 1. Qxc2 Rxc2 2. d7. If it's black to move, I don't see how you prevent white from playing Rxb6 and eventually getting the pawn promoted with that rook

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

Unless I'm missing something it's white by a long shot, though the size of the lead depends on who is next to move.

If it's white to move, you win the game immediately with 1. Qxc2 Rxc2 2. d7. If it's black to move, I don't see how you prevent white from playing Rxb6 and eventually getting the pawn promoted with that rook
my first impression is black is winning because you can't stop Rxh4 and then Rh1 and your king doesn't really have a great escape route

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Who is better?

I want to say small advantage to black.

I start by looking if black has an immediate forced win with something like 1...Rxh4. I can't find one. So we head to step two.

White's got an advanced passed pawn, but black's king is in good position to defend it. Ganguly talks about this in the Semi-Tarrasch course a lot, where the advanced passed d-pawn is not such a concern because (1) black's king can easily come to e7/d8 and (2) black has a queenside majority for counterplay.

If we're going for this plan, we want to minimize pieces on the board. Black wins the pawn endgame, for example, because of the outside pawns. So we start with trading queens and eliminating white's remaining a-pawn. This gives us:

1...Qxd2+ 2.Rxd2 Rxa4.

Now I think black's 'best case scenario' from here is something like picking up white's d and h pawns in exchange for the last a-pawn. That gives black a 4v3 advantage with all the pawns on one side of the board. That provides some winning chances for black, but is a draw with average defending.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Off to a normal start

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

That passed pawn on d6 is making me queasy as black even if you try to trade down going to be really tough to stop.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

butros posted:

That passed pawn on d6 is making me queasy as black even if you try to trade down going to be really tough to stop.

Try to imagine what white has to do to actually promote the pawn. The obvious defence is black sitting a rook down on d8, so how does white get through that?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Sorry, it was black to move whoops! black is better

Analysis board:
https://lichess.org/analysis/standard/2r3k1/5p2/1p1P2p1/pR3p1p/P3r2P/4P3/2qQ1PP1/3RK3_b_-_-_2_29

I found that one to be very hard which is why I posted it. I really like these puzzles though. (from https://chessevaluationtraining.com/)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bharatrocity posted:

Off to a normal start

What variant is this

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Hand Knit posted:

Try to imagine what white has to do to actually promote the pawn. The obvious defence is black sitting a rook down on d8, so how does white get through that?

There is already a rook on D8?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

What variant is this
it’s the fischer random world championships i believe

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bharatrocity posted:

Off to a normal start

It won't happen, but that starting arrangement cries out to end quickly in an epaulette mate.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Powered Descent posted:

It won't happen, but that starting arrangement cries out to end quickly in an epaulette mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTQSj9aavXA

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
If we're doing "who's better" and you're willing to take a look at a position in an OTB lunch-break game where both players are probably triple-digit strength, here's an interesting(?) position (white to move):

Note that both players very bad, so don't expect anything subtle.

I was black and assumed that I was toast, since white's up +3 in material. I'm not actually sure why Stockfish rates it as about -4, so that's why it's interesting to me. I'm guessing it's because so many of white's pieces are undefended and the black queen is poised for Qxb2, causing a bunch of subsequent problems.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Bharatrocity posted:

Off to a normal start

So this is black offering white the option of 2. Qxh8 Nf6 3. Qxf8 Kxf8? And declining would require a pawn to become pinned on c3 or d4 while white got their queen out of the bishop's view?

Edit: hmm no i missed something, white can go 3. Qg7 Rg8 4. Qh6... I am perplexed

kalensc fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 26, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

kalensc posted:

So this is black offering white the option of 2. Qxh8 Nf6 3. Qxf8 Kxf8? And declining would require a pawn to become pinned on c3 or d4 while white got their queen out of the bishop's view?

Edit: hmm no i missed something, white can go 3. Qg7 Rg8 4. Qh6... I am perplexed

3.Qg7 Rg8 4.Qh6 d5. The queen is trapped and will drop to Rg6.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

do you really think hikaru saw all that in advance or did he just not trust that magnus would make that kind of mistake

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

do you really think hikaru saw all that in advance or did he just not trust that magnus would make that kind of mistake

They get the position twenty minutes or so in advance so I’d guess he’d have spotted the idea while looking for obvious opening ideas.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well i wouldnt have thought of all that

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

ilmucche posted:

Isn't blind chess a thing where you don't get to see your opponent's pieces and end up trying to get info by making captures/moves you aren't sure will be legal?

There's a couple of variations on this theme:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegspiel_(chess)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_chess

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Hand Knit posted:

Ah dangit almost had it, guess I assumed the queen could escape down towards h3 but forgot the knight did more than protect h7, derp

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Captain von Trapp posted:

If we're doing "who's better" and you're willing to take a look at a position in an OTB lunch-break game where both players are probably triple-digit strength, here's an interesting(?) position (white to move):

Note that both players very bad, so don't expect anything subtle.

I was black and assumed that I was toast, since white's up +3 in material. I'm not actually sure why Stockfish rates it as about -4, so that's why it's interesting to me. I'm guessing it's because so many of white's pieces are undefended and the black queen is poised for Qxb2, causing a bunch of subsequent problems.

New but taking a crack at it. I floundered on my own and then worked on it with a friend. White advantage, here is the logic:

Ne7 + Kh8,
e4 + Re8
Bg5 + [???]

If Qxb2 then Rc1 which is protected by bishop on g5

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 26, 2022

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
Re: the current thread title, I assume an actual highly competent/prestigious law firm would never allow that absurd language? Regardless of legal merit, it’s just so horrendously poorly written, like a literal child arguing with a teacher. I have no idea how it actually works, but I refuse to believe that actually good and reputable law firms don’t have people whose job it is to improve the actual prose of whatever the client brings in

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Lawyers can be really stupid, op.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Charles Ingalls posted:

Re: the current thread title, I assume an actual highly competent/prestigious law firm would never allow that absurd language? Regardless of legal merit, it’s just so horrendously poorly written, like a literal child arguing with a teacher. I have no idea how it actually works, but I refuse to believe that actually good and reputable law firms don’t have people whose job it is to improve the actual prose of whatever the client brings in
the thread title isn’t actually from hans’s lawsuit, it’s from a lawsuit a goon brought against something awful / jeffrey for repeatedly banning him

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

An 87-year-old judge writing about Something Awful's moderation policies is one of the funnier moments in the site's history.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Charles Ingalls posted:

i think to some degree a lawyer who knows they have no case is probably just going to write it up in the voice their client wants to see. so they're pretty clearly just transposing whatever insane screed Hans or his parents handed them

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

I bought a few chess sets to donate to my son's school so he can start a chess club.

I got the "Best Chess Set Ever" from amazon @ $40 each (Canadian bucks). These are nicer even then the marketing material claims - very impressed. There's an "XL" one for $50 with quadruple weighted pieces, I think I'm going to get that for myself.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Is there any practical meaning in the term "mating net"? I see it used surprisingly often but I've never been able to figure out a general definition, other than "make these moves and it's mate".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I always just assumed that meant like, you're focused on taking control of all the squares around the king in a long term way without having a specific forced mate, and once you get the net all built any check will win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Redmark posted:

Is there any practical meaning in the term "mating net"? I see it used surprisingly often but I've never been able to figure out a general definition, other than "make these moves and it's mate".

Keeping the king in an area where your pieces control the squares. Think of it in the way that, to checkmate the opponent's king, you have to not just attack the square the king is on but the adjacent squares as well.