Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo 49ers posted:

I know there's some mention of remaking Code Veronica, but I think we might be approaching them taking a crack at remaking RE1 again in the current engine and style. They need to tread carefully with that. I still think REmake holds up and remains the best example of how to do a remake in the entire industry - although I am curious to see it from an over the shoulder perspective and looking as good as the RE Engine would allow.

No joke they should remake the Dino crisis games in RE engine before remaking 1 again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Noob Saibot posted:

No joke they should remake the Dino crisis games in RE engine before remaking 1 again

Por que no los dos?

But yeah, I'd love a remake/expansion of RE1 but I'd easily pick Dino Crisis first.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

johnny park posted:

Anyone here have issues with Phasmophobia's voice chat? There's a considerable delay (like 3-4 seconds) before my teammates can hear me when I speak on local voice. Hoping someone else has run into this problem and figured out a solution

I haven't played a ton lately, but I haven't seen anything like that. There's a Phasmo thread if you want to ask there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942046

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

johnny park posted:

Anyone here have issues with Phasmophobia's voice chat? There's a considerable delay (like 3-4 seconds) before my teammates can hear me when I speak on local voice. Hoping someone else has run into this problem and figured out a solution

I have issues but not that one. Every time an area loads in (so, either the lobby or a new haunt) I need to go into audio settings, turn off 'always on', then turn it back on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I have issues but not that one. Every time an area loads in (so, either the lobby or a new haunt) I need to go into audio settings, turn off 'always on', then turn it back on.

This poo poo was happening to me and driving me insane. I personally fixed it by disabling my VR audio device (even though I wasn't using it) and it fixed it. Dunno if you have an oculus or whatever plugged in but it could be that like it was for me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This poo poo was happening to me and driving me insane. I personally fixed it by disabling my VR audio device (even though I wasn't using it) and it fixed it. Dunno if you have an oculus or whatever plugged in but it could be that like it was for me.

I have a PS5 controller plugged in, which has caused issues with other audio stuff (notably Discord) in the past. Might try disconnecting that before booting the game up again next time.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
i feel like i remember dino crisis having some really obnoxious key stuff

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This Signalis game seems to be getting pretty drat good reviews. One review said it took them around 9 hours so substantial even if the average player is faster than that. Sounds somewhat like an old school Resident Evil with a focus on inventory management, puzzles and a lack of ammo. You seem to be playing as a robot so I don't think it'll turn out to be depression or that you killed a loved one either.

Some of the reviews have given a little bit of info about its inspirations story/setting wise, I'll put in spoilers just cause I might have preferred not to be aware although I suspect the game will give it away, apparently it's heavily inspired by the King in Yellow/Carcosa story/setting.

It's on Gamepass apparently so probably worth a punt if you're in the mood for a horror game.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

apparently it's heavily inspired by the King in Yellow/Carcosa story/setting.

It's on Gamepass apparently so probably worth a punt if you're in the mood for a horror game.

Sold

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I'll try this, thanks

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, my review of Signalis should go up on Bloody Disgusting later today.
Edit: https://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3737923/signalis-review-a-puzzle-box-of-a-survival-horror-game/

Signalis isn't particularly subtle about what its horror sub-genre is once you actually play it. It does do a weird thing with its trailers and demo, however, where it makes itself look almost like a standard sci-fi/horror bug hunt, but starts to get weirder as you work your way further into it. The deeper you go into its derelict mining colony, the more subtly off everything gets.

I'm pretty cagey in my pieces about Signalis because I didn't know it was going to do that. After the PAX West demo, I thought I was signing up for your standard indie 2D nostalgia trip, and it took me totally by surprise. There's a lot of value in that, and I think it's best if you go into Signalis as absolutely cold as you possibly can.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 25, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

thebardyspoon posted:

Some of the reviews have given a little bit of info about its inspirations story/setting wise, I'll put in spoilers just cause I might have preferred not to be aware although I suspect the game will give it away, apparently it's heavily inspired by the King in Yellow/Carcosa story/setting.

Jokes on you I can't be spoilered because I'm not cultured enough to know what that story is.

I will probably try it out, was going to play it before but def going to play it if it's on gamepass

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Jokes on you I can't be spoilered because I'm not cultured enough to know what that story is.

I will probably try it out, was going to play it before but def going to play it if it's on gamepass

After you do play it, I will never not recommend that particular book

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The book is enjoyable enough that I'm instantly interested in a game that's inspired by it without knowing any other info.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I added Them and Us to my wishlist at some point, but I don't know why. It's on sale for $20, any thoughts on it?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Medullah posted:

I added Them and Us to my wishlist at some point, but I don't know why. It's on sale for $20, any thoughts on it?

Add it to your playlist too. It slaps.

edit: poo poo, my joke doesn't work. I meant Us and them. Disregard.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Wtf is a PT universe. It's one demo

MGSV is in the PT universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsYS9wlc85A

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Holy poo poo, this looks terrifying.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2193600/Paranormal_Tales/

https://twitter.com/dontplaypt/status/1584944714826256385?s=46&t=QVC-m0N5-gapqcRVwBp_TQ

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

looks pretty loving good visually, although they need a VA that's able to sell the horror more than him going "uhh! ahh!!! uggghh!!!"

i'm fine if they wanna have a voiced protagonist, but horror especially demands that the talent punches it up or else the contrast between abject terror and flat delivery can end up deflating the tension fast

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vermain posted:

looks pretty loving good visually, although they need a VA that's able to sell the horror more than him going "uhh! ahh!!! uggghh!!!"

I honestly thought it was Jerma at first

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Noooope I'm too chicken poo poo for that. Will watch Pat stream it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

No "Where is it??" after three exertion grunts, 4/10

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

whaley posted:

Yeah Dino Crisis Kinda loving Sucks, actually. It's a gigantic key hunt, every area looks the same, there are only like 3 enemy types and they are all raptor variations, and there's a T-Rex that chases you like two times for 30 seconds. Absolute trash game. Would be a good candidate for a remake, I suppose, but they'd have to basically make a new game.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

dino crisis blows but its creation led to dino crisis 2, which was amazing

so i guess it evens out

shame about them never continuing the series after that loving cliffhanger ending

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

whaley posted:

There was an LP of Dino Crisis I really loved.

It's how I know DC. It is pretty obnoxious with the puzzles and keys. Every locked room has two keys to it and then you have to solve al little word puzzle to get in even after you collect the keys. Like the L Keys lead to the Laboratory, W Keys to Waterway, and so-on.

It really was a lot more survival horror than RE was by this time, though. Bullets are fuckin' worthless against dinos and your best bet is to put them to sleep. I also think the dinos respawn but somebody once told me this is wrong and I have no idea. Anyway, dinos could follow you into rooms and if you were wounded you would start to bleed out. So yeah, a smattering of good ideas in a game which exemplifies the tedium people usually think of when they recall this era of gaming.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

0 rows returned posted:

dino crisis blows but its creation led to dino crisis 2, which was amazing

so i guess it evens out

shame about them never continuing the series after that loving cliffhanger ending

They did continue it in Dino Stalker aka Gun Survivor 3. Which nobody played.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man, this is definitely showing its age. The audio balancing, the fact that they're clearly using one mic to record all of them (and it's catching audio from the tv), and those aren't too bad but then every now and then they use 'gay' or the r-word as a pejorative and it's a reminder that, ah right, this is from 13 years ago.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yo horrorgoons.

Any of you played Spirit Hunter: Death Mark or its sequel?

These look really cool and unique, and are on sale on PS4 rn, but I don’t want to buy them on novelty alone and want some opinions, if anyone’s played and can offer them.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BurningBeard posted:

Yo horrorgoons.

Any of you played Spirit Hunter: Death Mark or its sequel?

These look really cool and unique, and are on sale on PS4 rn, but I don’t want to buy them on novelty alone and want some opinions, if anyone’s played and can offer them.

the horror parts are pretty good, but unfortunately it's also an anime game which means you will have to deal with women-in-peril-but-also-it's-scanty-fanservice-for-some-reason at multiple points (dependent on which version you get, i think the switch version had some of that cut)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yeah, a couple goons in the VN thread confirmed that the Steam version is a lot more raunchy than the PS4 version. Not sure if the scenes in question are removed completely, or are just censored.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, a couple goons in the VN thread confirmed that the Steam version is a lot more raunchy than the PS4 version. Not sure if the scenes in question are removed completely, or are just censored.

Ugh. Maybe a pass then. Thanks. Removed or otherwise that poo poo kinda skeeves me out.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BurningBeard posted:

Ugh. Maybe a pass then. Thanks. Removed or otherwise that poo poo kinda skeeves me out.

yeah imagine how i felt upon playing this after being given the collectors edition as an anniversary gift because my partner knows i love horror games :shepface:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mix. posted:

yeah imagine how i felt upon playing this after being given the collectors edition as an anniversary gift because my partner knows i love horror games :shepface:

Considering these games would have been part of my partner’s introduction to the hobby—I’ve been running her through lots of genres and tones to see what sticks and she loved AI: The Somnium Files—I think I dodged a bullet.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BurningBeard posted:

Considering these games would have been part of my partner’s introduction to the hobby—I’ve been running her through lots of genres and tones to see what sticks and she loved AI: The Somnium Files—I think I dodged a bullet.

if you're looking for more adventure game-y horror stuff there's a lot of rpg maker horror games that fall into that kind of category you could maybe check out instead, stuff like Ib or OFF :eng101:

There's also some actual point and click games that use horror more as the vibe/aesthetic rather than games that'll actually spook ya on steam, so those might be good too

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

How's that Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (on sale on PS4 for 55% off)? I assume there's no need to play the first? And how does the game hold up - I've seen someone play the first hour of the first game, seems like some spooky stuff, how does the game hold up through the experience?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

What' up with the reasonably realistic appearance? Just really good texture work?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

What' up with the reasonably realistic appearance? Just really good texture work?

Combination of a handheld camera style, low light, and (I'm assuming here) the latest Unreal Engine, which produces some excellent looking stuff. No idea if the textures used here are a pack you can buy or made specifically for the game though.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh yay an excuse to post this loving amazing thing

https://twitter.com/Yurukuyaru/status/1523643949826588674?t=DZcPdFS_9av2jSUq2SajBA&s=19

Unreal 5 can do some poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

yeah, unreal 5 is genuinely incredible if you're aiming for photorealism. don't think the pipelines are there quite yet for behemoth AAA productions but small hobbyist games like paranormal tales can take advantage of all its bells and whistles right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh yay an excuse to post this loving amazing thing

https://twitter.com/Yurukuyaru/status/1523643949826588674?t=DZcPdFS_9av2jSUq2SajBA&s=19

Unreal 5 can do some poo poo

That's absolutely incredible and I can't wait for this to hit actual games.