Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Alita Battle Angel rocks for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s a ‘if you don’t like this, you’re against fun’ kind of flick. It’s a great time and dammit I want a sequel.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I ask because the manga was good, but America is trash with Japanese ip

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I ask because the manga was good, but America is trash with Japanese ip

If you like the manga the movie is pretty unenjoyable except for a couple of the fight scenes, IMO.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a weird issue.

When I stream something (Chromecast on a fairly new Vizio OLED) and the show has low volume, like dialog with no BG music, the sound cuts out completely when there is no active sound.
Does that make sense?

If there's any music or droning it won't cut out.

It's weird to complain that there's no sound when there's nothing happening but it's like it gets muted and it's quite distracting.

Is there a setting that might cause this?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Possibility 1.) Reddit says go into Google Home Device Settings, and make sure "lower volume when listening" is turned off

Possibility 2.) From the vizio website:

quote:

This can be caused by a conflict between the program or device that you are trying to watch and the TV's advanced audio settings specifically SRS TruVolume.

To turn this function off you would need to take the following steps:

Go into the Main Menu
Go to Audio Settings
Go to Advanced Audio
Turn off SRS TruVolume
Another option would be to turn any audio leveling options in your other devices off.

Possibility 3.) Try switching the Digital Audio Out setting on your TV from Auto to Digital.

Seems like it's a known issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Official/comments/n9q7pz/audio_is_being_gated_at_low_volume/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 25, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Have OLED companies fixed the autodimming stuff yet or do you need to go into service menus as per this video still?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qXj-vpX5Q

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Vintersorg posted:

Have OLED companies fixed the autodimming stuff yet or do you need to go into service menus as per this video still?

I haven't noticed any autodimming on my C1 but it's only had about 300 hours of usage so far

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It happens during dark scenes of shows. Recently House of Dragons on HBO has triggered it with it's nighttime scenes and making things unwatchable. Part of it is the people making it master it on $30,000+ monitors and not accounting for consumer grade stuff but the other side of the coin is OLED's dimdown cause of burn in potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83SXcguwBU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vintersorg posted:

It happens during dark scenes of shows. Recently House of Dragons on HBO has triggered it with it's nighttime scenes and making things unwatchable. Part of it is the people making it master it on $30,000+ monitors and not accounting for consumer grade stuff but the other side of the coin is OLED's dimdown cause of burn in potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83SXcguwBU

I watched a few GoT episodes recently and even though they're both in DV the new show is just unwatchably dark in comparison, it sucks

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I was thinking about playing some FFXIV on my a80j but I'm scared of burn in. I read that it's possible to do things like hide the UI when not in battle, increase transparency and change the hud color but still.. you guys concerned about that sort of thing?

I'm slightly confused about burn in being cumulative and the recommendation to vary usage as a way to combat it. Is the implication that varying content "burns in" the display evenly, thereby balancing out the cumulative damage caused by static hud elements?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I was thinking about playing some FFXIV on my a80j but I'm scared of burn in. I read that it's possible to do things like hide the UI when not in battle, increase transparency and change the hud color but still.. you guys concerned about that sort of thing?

Don't be unless you're literally playing it as a full time job.

Google Butt posted:

I'm slightly confused about burn in being cumulative and the recommendation to vary usage as a way to combat it. Is the implication that varying content "burns in" the display evenly, thereby balancing out the cumulative damage caused by static hud elements?

Basically OLEDs just slowly burn out as they are used - kind of like a lightbulb. This results in the screen getting darker over time, no matter what you do. What people call "burn in" on OLEDs has absolutely nothing to do with what used to be "burn in" on plasmas. In the latter, the screen is actually being damaged by leaving an image on it. OLEDs just get darker when they're on, so if a pixel is on more, it will get darker faster relative to pixels that aren't on as much.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The long-form burn-in experiment by Blessed Website RTings put all this in perspective. It includes pictures of what the burn-in caused actually looks like.

They were able to make a visible impact, by looping footage from CNN (which has solid red idents) on maximum brightness for thousands of hours with all the mitigation features disabled. After almost 10,000 hours, the looping worst-case video game had started to show effects visible on solid colour backgrounds. All other footage (played at more normal brightness levels) was just starting to develop kind of a little haze. This was done on I think the C7 sets, which are now five generations of panels and mitigation features old. You will decide to replace your OLED TV before you detect burn-in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And there was the guy that stress tested the oled switch, and it still took something like 3600 hours for it to be noticeable.

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-switch-oled-screen-undergoes-3600-hour-burn-in-test

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

:eyepop:

this is really conspicuous in Ozark, I was sure it was part of the master. gotta get that service remote

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I am looking at getting a new TV in the near future and here in Korea LG OLED is the route we’ve decided to go with. I am looking at a 55incher. I can get an A1 at CostCo for around 900 dollars (1.3million KRW) or a C2 for around 1575 dollars (2.3million KRW). Is the C2 worth that much of a price difference? In dollars it might not seem like much, but it definitely is in KRW.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Do you plan to game on it? The A1 is limited to 60Hz with no VRR, while the C2 is 120Hz VRR so gaming will be much better on the C2.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah the A1 is the definition of a bedroom/guest bath TV.

It's probably ok if you just stream and don't need the game features and aren't crazy about Dolby 4K HDR10 geek stuff.

But aside from the contrast and such, some of what is aluded for in other panels will be missing.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

people put tv in their guest bath? or any bath? i...didn't know that was a thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

abelwingnut posted:

people put tv in their guest bath? or any bath? i...didn't know that was a thing.

How else can you watch your soaps while in the tub?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonna assume bath was a typo, but at the same time I don’t have any guests who are gonna get more than a $200 Costco special, certainly not OLED.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah the A1 is the definition of a bedroom/guest bath TV.

My guest bedrooms get whatever hand me down TV filters to them. Shout out to the 40 inch from the Bush administration hanging out in the least used room with a roku stick in it.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

I recently moved into a new house, and the previous owners left this part of a TV mount. What would I need to do to be able to actually use it? Would I have to buy the same brand/style of mount, and use whatever brackets or pieces I need?

If there's a better place to ask this question, let me know.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Super Dan posted:

I recently moved into a new house, and the previous owners left this part of a TV mount. What would I need to do to be able to actually use it? Would I have to buy the same brand/style of mount, and use whatever brackets or pieces I need?

If there's a better place to ask this question, let me know.

That's a pretty generic TV mount. You don't *have* to buy the same mount theoretically... just a similar one (but it might take some trial and error to find the right one). It's a pretty standard gravity based hook mount. So you just need the arms of a kit that will fit.

example: https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Dre...ps%2C89&sr=8-20

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wait you guys don't do guest bath TVs?

Do you even do kitchen TVs?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got a big enough TV in the living room that I can see it from the kitchen.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I refuse to have a bedroom TV because I sleep terribly when I fall asleep with the TV on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You kinda have to have a guest bath to even do a guest bath TV.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Man I really should upgrade my hallway and cupboard TVs to OLED soon

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Help my shower TV broke very suddenly and unexpectedly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Help my shower TV broke very suddenly and unexpectedly.

Go with Ocea

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRg8_qJ7U0

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" C2 $1700 shipped from BuyDig - includes $150 Visa gift card and 4-year extended warranty. All C2s except the 55" have these discounts and bonuses.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

https://www.costco.com/onkyo-tx-nr6050-7.2-channel-av-receiver.product.100804401.html

$399 for an HDMI 2.1 receiver.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Costco is definitely the best place to get a good deal on a new receiver, that or refurbs on AC4L

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

EL BROMANCE posted:

Gonna assume bath was a typo, but at the same time I don’t have any guests who are gonna get more than a $200 Costco special, certainly not OLED.

My guests get a Panasonic plasma that also serves as a heater.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How are Onkyo still releasing new things? I'd be weary of going back to them, the NET features on my 676 have been mostly dreadful.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
My 43" LG has started looking like this -

Pictured is a fully white screen on Youtube. Two large vertical streaks of blue, which bleed through the picture and turn everything in those areas blue-ish. I've futzed with various settings and controls and nothing has worked, I'm guessing this is a physical issue with the panel which is unlikely to be easily repairable. Correct me if I'm wrong?

That said I've been looking at replacements, (and have decided that OLED is way out of my price range) and based on the recommendations in the OP and a bunch of googling, I am looking at a Hisense 50A7GQTUK - 50" QLED which is £350.

All I really want to know is, Is this a Bad DecisionTM? It seems to fit all my requirements, has the right connections, will fit my current wall mount. I knoiw I could get better but price is a factor as this is coming right as we have just dropped £30K on home improvements, and tbh it doesn't get used for real high end viewing that often. The most common use is Kids TV and Mincreaft Youtubes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
LG OLED screens are worthless garbage for the most part. EVERY one of them I've installed has ended up having getting burn in or whatever the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

oh ok thanks