Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Zero VGS posted:

I ran into my first Priest of Possibility deck in Historic Mythic, I beat them with my Kobold/Dragon cheat deck but it was close.

Priest of Possibility seems like the closest we've had to a straight-up Slippery Bogle deck. Does anyone have a decklist? I hate Alchemy cards but I'm super tempted to craft those to get my non-interaction fix.

Deck
4 Priest of Possibility
4 Lae'zel, Githyanki Warrior
4 Danitha, Benalia's Hope
4 Sphinx of the Guildpact
4 Striped Riverwinder
4 Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
4 Curious Obsession
4 Staggering Insight
4 All That Glitters
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Razortide Bridge
1 Island
5 Plains
4 Adarkar Wastes
2 Cascading Cataracts
4 Hallowed Fountain

That's what I see for the historic list. The guy pops up in orzov aggro in alchemy occasionally, but I think the use there is more incidental minor bonuses rather than a deck focused on the actual guy himself.

What would be the big payoff for it in alchemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

Did a Quick Draft:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/68e5999b69ac42a1afee690361121c05

Probably the most "???" I went so far. I got a graveyard core and a little domain but not nearly enough lands. Wonder if I went obviously wrong somewhere or if the bots are just drafting really weirdly for this format. Happy for suggestions!

I actually never reported on this (it was in my stats screenshot tho), this went 5-3, which really surprised me. I feel like "just play good cards" can go a long way, even with a manabase as terrible as this. I lost twice to aggro and iirc once to a bad screw, which is exactly what the deck isn't good at. I won one VERY long and grindy game against a walls deck with two Chaplains, that felt awesome!

Simply Simon posted:

draft draft draft

Tried a Premier pretty much unassisted (got some company but no real tips), went into the direction of an archetype I know isn't strong but I feel like I can have some fun with this.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/fdf8d8e5c7644bb79eadd77cf491ef03

Not sure about some choices, including the first one. Yes I did raredraft the land and the artifact-loving elf. I think passing on Strike Team with a single white source in the taplands was correct but you can call me wrong on that, too.

Last card I cut was the Barricade. Maybe I could play Amplifier as a two-drop which can get surprisingly strong, don't think it'll end up being great. Would cut the Thrill for that? I like it as a hand refiller/land get rid offer (and I can e.g. discard Cult Conscript), but Shadow Prophecy already draws. I've personally been hit HARD by Aggressive Sabotage, but I don't know if I should play it despite having its colors (a rarity).
This one went 4-3, which I think is fine for a not-that-great color combination. Considering that, maybe I should have raredrafted harder, got some mythics on offer I passed :P. I ended playing Picker over Prophecy in the end. I lost twice to what I'd chalk up to bad luck - first game I used Picker thrice to discard three lands...and drew three lands, during that desperate dig I Soultendered for three spells, that was awful. Final loss was due to being color-screwed; I got only Swamps for two turns too long, then drew the Bog. Opp curved out. Probably should have mulliganed, but who knows what I'd have gotten then.

First loss was to Nemata. It counters Splatter Goblin, it counters Conoisseur, and I can't get through the air - just completely screws this deck on all fronts. If I'd have gotten a Lagomos (would have LOVED that), even that would have just fed Nemata!!

Chick did a lot of work, for the record - lots of games I had to close out or die next turn, and in total 3-4 pings and then three damage with the frenzy at once really matters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Standingstoic posted:

Deck
4 Priest of Possibility
4 Lae'zel, Githyanki Warrior
4 Danitha, Benalia's Hope
4 Sphinx of the Guildpact
4 Striped Riverwinder
4 Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
4 Curious Obsession
4 Staggering Insight
4 All That Glitters
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Razortide Bridge
1 Island
5 Plains
4 Adarkar Wastes
2 Cascading Cataracts
4 Hallowed Fountain

That's what I see for the historic list. The guy pops up in orzov aggro in alchemy occasionally, but I think the use there is more incidental minor bonuses rather than a deck focused on the actual guy himself.

What would be the big payoff for it in alchemy?

Thanks, I noticed that list has Sphinx of the Guildpact which has “Hexproof from mono colored” in the text. Does Priest get that limited version from Sphinx, or does it get full Hexproof because it only sees the keyword, or does it get nothing because the keyword isn’t only “Hexproof”.

Alchemy cards doesn’t show up in Gatherer so I don’t get the FAQ-style Oracle rulings.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks, I noticed that list has Sphinx of the Guildpact which has “Hexproof from mono colored” in the text. Does Priest get that limited version from Sphinx, or does it get full Hexproof because it only sees the keyword, or does it get nothing because the keyword isn’t only “Hexproof”.

Alchemy cards doesn’t show up in Gatherer so I don’t get the FAQ-style Oracle rulings.

subsets like that and 'protection from x' count as their superset (hexproof and protection). all the x-cycling abilities count as cycling abilities as well, iirc

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Recently built two WBg draft decks (5-3 and 2-1; premier and trad respectively) featuring my new favourite play pattern in DMU limited:

Kicked Benalish Sleeper
Braid's Frightful Return
Sleeper Again (and Braid's chapter 3 means you either draw a card or they sacrifice another thing)
Urborg Repossession (Braid's and Sleeper)
Sleeper
Braids
Sleeper + draw/sacrifice from Braids

5-7 dead dudes for three cards (albeit over a few turns). It's very hard to disrupt shy of Negate or Captain's Call/Strike Team, and two of the required cards (Braids and Sleeper) can sometimes go very late. There's a lot to recommend about the WB decks (even if they do require a little luck in coming together).

Quite often (assuming I'm in White or can splash), I'll spec on a Shield Wall Sentinel or two if they turn up in mediocre packs just in case this happens. And any on-colour walls that happen to appear in replacement level packs, too. I've ended up with more than one deck with a very strong defender package because Wingmantles dropped into my lap in Pack 3.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 24, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Town Razer Tyrant is very funny when it ETBs if your opponent has Ashaya on the board.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It always amazes me how badly Wizards manages to gently caress up a simple message on the Mastery screen basically every time. In the past things like the wrong set have been named, the current one says the nonsense "Unspent orbs from this mastery will be lost when the next set's mastery is complete."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh, I should have time to digest this Limited Level-Ups podcast before drafting ELD, this helps

https://limitedlevelups.libsyn.com/limited-level-ups-108-throne-of-eldraine-format-breakdown

I barely consumed any content relative to playing the format back then (I think I watched some LSV vods at the time) so this whole thing about a 13-4 manabase is both revelatory and makes complete sense given the card pool lol

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Free gold in the shop today!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh, I should have time to digest this Limited Level-Ups podcast before drafting ELD, this helps

https://limitedlevelups.libsyn.com/limited-level-ups-108-throne-of-eldraine-format-breakdown

I barely consumed any content relative to playing the format back then (I think I watched some LSV vods at the time) so this whole thing about a 13-4 manabase is both revelatory and makes complete sense given the card pool lol

yeah following this episode pretty much to the T has been great success for me, 4 drafts in and 3 trophy drafts so far.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

subsets like that and 'protection from x' count as their superset (hexproof and protection). all the x-cycling abilities count as cycling abilities as well, iirc

Eh well in practice, if there's a creature in my library with "Hexproof from Planeswalkers" in my library and Priest of Possibility hits it, it will only get "Hexproof from Planeswalkers" as well, and not the full hexproof.

After burning 7 rare WC, I can say the deck is no where in the same winrate league as my Minion of the Mighty deck. It isn't really competitive but it is very fun when I windmill slam a 2/2 on turn 2 with every ability in the game, though:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yo this draft was SICK. Nobody in the entire pod wanted green. This is basically a mono-green Domain deck, but I also raredrafted like a motherfucker, AND I can play almost all of them? Wild. Check this poo poo out:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/aabc31434400499e852178de773db4fa

The Shanna is really only there for lols. My biggest question rn is if I should put an Island in. For her, Nael, and the two kickers. It's probably a good idea to remove the Plaza for said Island...is it fun? Noooo but I should. The deck would probably be better if I just replaced the Shanna with the Soultender, too.

Any other thoughts?

(btw, this is BO3, I am 1-0 already, deck can do this which is fully sick:)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't believe these latest bans..

(I haven't updated the client on this computer in a long time)

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I see Auto-Pass still doesn't mean "I don't give a poo poo because I have a can't lose token. Please resolve whatever you want."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

babypolis posted:

1 or 2 days is usually enough. Theres a bunch of data already

This site populates the rankings based on 17Lands data, is the set really this cracked/17L users that skewed lol

There is a threshold of games played before it shows up on the chart so most of the mythics and some of the rares aren't on here yet. But lol, the first white uncommon really isn't until way down with a 56% GIHWR while blue has a common in the top ten.

I assume this is mainly skewed to the veterans who are going in with a solved format in their heads skewing the picks?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yes, you're seeing data skewed from preconceptions and a fairly low amount of data overall

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That makes sense. I looked at the data with the caveats and just went by reading the cards in line with the Limited Level-Ups tips.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/77b5ab79668c47a5a92bfc07fc8bc696

Is this anything lol? I followed the advice of taking artifacts early to see if there was anything . I saw a lot of blue early but I couldn't tell if it was any good. Red removal got my toe in there and when I saw Grumgully I went for GR... hoping for less R but is this doable

Edit: reviewing the draft could black have been good in pack 1, the Piper and two Reapers leading into one of the hybrid Bs in pack 2? I guess I got scared by the podcast saying "Black is the worst color but not by much" and there were a lot of cards to read...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 25, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
love mono blue players who tank for literally 30+ seconds on every trigger :shepicide:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

precision posted:

love mono blue players who tank for literally 30+ seconds on every trigger :shepicide:

I don’t play blue but I’m more often than not stoned out of my gourd when playing MTGA so please be patient when I’m trying to decide if I should attack into your obvious Wandering Emperor.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I had a go at Throne of Eldraine.

https://www.17lands.com/details/8b98b19840d34e05921c7f8f16e8a84b

Managed to draft mono blue, but ended up with too many answers, not enough threats. Finished 1-3.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Urcher posted:

Managed to draft mono blue, but ended up with too many answers, not enough threats. Finished 1-3.

If you're going to play blue in Eldraine, your main win is condition is going to be milling people out with Merfolk Secretkeeper, so you shouldn't pass three of them for less important cards.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Urcher posted:

passed way too many Secretkeepers, then missed on other decent cards like Turn into Pumpkin, Loch Dragon, Moonlit Scavengers and Run Away Together. Your deck could be just Secretkeepers and Run Away Together and you'd mill out a lot of opponents before dying.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Haven’t played very much limited this month after hitting mythic last month but I just drafted the first deck I have had in this format where the 3/2 that loses you life was good. Very fun deck when it’s open

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That makes sense. I looked at the data with the caveats and just went by reading the cards in line with the Limited Level-Ups tips.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/77b5ab79668c47a5a92bfc07fc8bc696

Is this anything lol? I followed the advice of taking artifacts early to see if there was anything . I saw a lot of blue early but I couldn't tell if it was any good. Red removal got my toe in there and when I saw Grumgully I went for GR... hoping for less R but is this doable

Edit: reviewing the draft could black have been good in pack 1, the Piper and two Reapers leading into one of the hybrid Bs in pack 2? I guess I got scared by the podcast saying "Black is the worst color but not by much" and there were a lot of cards to read...

Yeah this draft just looks like you didn't really find your lane, that can be pretty punishing in ELD especially I've found. Black was definitely where you wanted to be and Piper would've been a very good start, but obviously you don't know your p2p1 and p3p1 would've gone into a sick black deck at the time. Blue looked ok but I don't know where the on ramp would've been for that.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Midweek event looks bugged or the ban list is wrong. Liliana and fable are playable but some odd enchantment matters are banned.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Per Reddit:

quote:

Actual ban list, from going through the entire body of legal cards in the deck builder:

Wedding Announcement
The Wandering Emperor
Lier, Disciple of the Drowned
Hullbreaker Horror
Graveyard Trespasser
The Meathook Massacre (sure)
Rabbit Battery
Kami of Transience
Edgar, Charmed Groom
Galvanic Iteration
Jukai Naturalist
Hinata, Dawn-Crowned

Also, the following cards rotated from standard, but still show up in the deck builder as banned cards:

Luminarch Aspirant
Elite Spellbinder
Divide by Zero
Alrund's Epiphany
Deadly Dispute
Goldspan Dragon
Old-Growth Troll
Esika's Chariot
Expressive Iteration
Omnath, Locus of Creation
Faceless Haven

So, somebody clearly forgot to reset the card list from the last time it came up, lol

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's fixed now.

Also lol Standard Shakeup and I'm just rolling with the same mono black deck I usually do.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I played that domain aggro deck that got posted a while back, very quick 3-0. Never cast a fable either

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Never cast a fable either

a true warrior indeed. your soul remains unstained

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Second draft of the day:

Was originally in blue instead of white because I saw 3 essence scatters in pack 1 but then I didn’t see another blue card for 2 packs. Spec pick wing mantle got moved into the deck and I hoped I to see any other playable white cards and, luckily, I saw some.

This deck had no margin for error during gameplay but we got there:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Whoever made the ban list for the midweek event didn't know that monoU tempo existed. None of the good cards are banned, go nuts with a top tier standard deck.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Ithle01 posted:

Whoever made the ban list for the midweek event didn't know that monoU tempo existed. None of the good cards are banned, go nuts with a top tier standard deck.

I did fine (3/1 with the loss on what should have been a mulligan) with a basic ConnIvy deck.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

If you're going to play blue in Eldraine, your main win is condition is going to be milling people out with Merfolk Secretkeeper, so you shouldn't pass three of them for less important cards.

wei posted:

passed way too many Secretkeepers, then missed on other decent cards like Turn into Pumpkin, Loch Dragon, Moonlit Scavengers and Run Away Together. Your deck could be just Secretkeepers and Run Away Together and you'd mill out a lot of opponents before dying.

I didn't realise I should be making a mill deck going in. 2 of my losses were a turn or two away from milling out my opponent and a couple more Secretkeepers might have made a difference. Now I know for next time.

Thanks for the feedback.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

Mono white is mostly untouched as well

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Zero VGS i was playing a slightly modified version of your minion deck (just some dragons subbed cos i didnt want to spend wildcards on them) and would just like to report an absolutely stupid win

i kept a hand with no minions cos i had everything else and two faithless lootings so i thought surely i'd get it. sure enough despite flashing back both and drawing a third i still didnt get a minion, but the other guy was playing red burn with some kind of twincast theme to it. other guy was holding his spells for quite a while before he started burning me i assume to try and snag any creatures i did cast, but stalled out on 4 land.

i eventually got to 7 and just cast a terror of mount velus regular style because gently caress it i did have a cast red creatures daily and assumed it was a clear loss anyway, then he finally drew a land and (i guess assuming i was playing a regular dragon deck, not minion) cast double vision instead of burning the terror. my turn rolled around and i just hit it with several buff spells and punched him in the face for lethal regular style which i really dont think he was expecting

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

username post combo

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Urcher posted:

I didn't realise I should be making a mill deck going in. 2 of my losses were a turn or two away from milling out my opponent and a couple more Secretkeepers might have made a difference. Now I know for next time.

Thanks for the feedback.

The joke name when Eldraine was only on bot draft was “Throne of Milldraine”

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

kalel posted:

username post combo

yeah it took about 5x the length of any normal game with that deck

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MasterBuilder posted:

Midweek event looks bugged or the ban list is wrong. Liliana and fable are playable but some odd enchantment matters are banned.
and sheoldred as well lol

what a joke of a "shakeup"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MasterBuilder posted:

it's just a bad list