Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Upsidads posted:

No this is in fact a good one, not great on a plane but still super solid
Wait they do straight up Android too now?

I do not have a chromebook but it looks like it is just built on linux? You have to enable support in some dev menu, there are instructions on this page, and then you should be able install any roguelike with linux support (which is almost every open-source one, including the offline build of DCSS. Open source devs love linux!)

Give Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead or the fork Cataclysm: Bright Nights a shot too. It's an open world zombie survival roguelike.
And DoomRL for short and sweet dungeon dives full of blasting demons in the face with a shotgun.
ToME4 too.
If you are into games with ascii (no tiles) give FrogComPosBand a try, it's a fun kitchen-sink fork-of-a-fork-of-a-fork-of-a-fork of angband.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Deakul posted:

I love it!

Not sure what else to say besides describing it again, it's essentially Fights in Tight Spaces with even more options to clear levels and a slick presentation so if you like tactics games where positioning, building up combos, and switching stances is the name of the game then you'll probably dig it!

Alright you convinced me. I'm goin in!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
odd request but do y'all have any recommendations for a chill youtube/streamer that plays traditional roguelikes? i just like to have something on my second monitor while working and maybe i could get some inspiration along the way :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Your Computer posted:

odd request but do y'all have any recommendations for a chill youtube/streamer that plays traditional roguelikes? i just like to have something on my second monitor while working and maybe i could get some inspiration along the way :v:

The developer of Cogmind plays a lot of other roguelikes on the side so it might be up your alley.
https://www.youtube.com/c/GridSageGames

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Take a look at Dr. Incompetent (almost qualuude levels of chill) or ROGUELOVE. The latter is the dev of Caverns of Xaskazien, a roguelike that gets mentioned here sometimes, and he seems to like to do very traditional stuff like Moria and Angband. Sorry I don't have the exact name of his game at the moment.

edit: got the name

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 22, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://twitch.tv/roguelike_con

roguelike con's happening

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

There's a linked sale here: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/roguelikecelebration2022

Not everything seems to be on sale but Golden Krone Hotel (which is good) is 80% off.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Your Computer posted:

Vormithrax plays Cataclysm quite a bit and is just a middle aged dude that doesn't really get worked up about anything in game, and he says pretty much everything he's thinking about loud:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Vormithrax

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I remember Big Simple being alright, lots of playthroughs and guides for Caves of Qud as well as some other stuff.
There are also two video LPs of Nethack, one of them seems to be gone because a lot of these older video hosting sites no longer exist, but this one is archived on Archived.org still.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Your Computer posted:

Yulgash on twitch plays nothin but ADOM, he does a bunch of various challenge runs and sometimes speedruns. He currently holds the real time speedrun record even.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dr incompetent?

https://youtube.com/c/DrIncompetent

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
thanks y'all :sax:

just posted an update on my project today - there's a working inventory system now!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Your Computer posted:

twitch.tv/ninth_settler does a lot of dcss and rift wizard if you're into those

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

has anyone here tried Right & Down? seems surprisingly compelling for a game with literally only two controls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsoGEUuARpU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks for the Dr Incompetent recommendation. I've admittedly spent all day watching him play Planet Zoo but my goodness what a chill vibe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yulgash on twitch plays nothin but ADOM, he does a bunch of various challenge runs and sometimes speedruns. He currently holds the real time speedrun record even.

He mostly plays ADOM, but he does from time to time play other games too. He really does know his poo poo when it comes to ADOM though; he found so many bugs in it down the years that the Wand of Grond is named for him (Grond being his ADOM forum handle).

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Spectacle Violencelite a'hoy:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1594460/I_See_Red/

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

has anyone here tried Right & Down? seems surprisingly compelling for a game with literally only two controls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsoGEUuARpU

Launches without controller support, come on devs.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
No Mac support, boo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

an iksar marauder posted:

No Mac support, boo

Plays you a sad song with the itty-bittiest linux violin.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
crossposting since y'all seemed interested, i've implemented a targeting system and an inspect mode now and the next step is using the targeting tech for throwable sub-weapons and activated abilities :toot:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

crossposting since y'all seemed interested, i've implemented a targeting system and an inspect mode now and the next step is using the targeting tech for throwable sub-weapons and activated abilities :toot:

protip: make a single targeting function that takes a delegate that takes a start/end cell and returns a set of targeted cells for that selection (the simplest being just returning the end cell), you'll be happy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unormal posted:

protip: make a single targeting function that takes a delegate that takes a start/end cell and returns a set of targeted cells for that selection (the simplest being just returning the end cell), you'll be happy

you are a gentleman and a scholar, qud/sproggi guy

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you are a gentleman and a scholar, qud/sproggi guy

the most fun part about having a curse is transmitting that curse to the next host er i mean helping out

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Unormal posted:

you can't assume i know anything about programming just because i'm posting some screenshots :v: i'm sorry but this went over my head. i'm doing things in a very 'godot' way and even my aoe markers are defined in terms of scenes with child nodes and not programmatically

as for the player's targeting i'm implementing it in the form of "modes" with a base targeting mode that does a lot of the setup and then other modes that inherit from it like the inspect mode and my newest one which is the firing mode :toot:

this one targets the nearest enemy and lets you cycle between targets based on distance and is for sub-weapons that essentially function like guns, i.e. they fire against a single target. throwing daggers will probably be my first sub-weapon of this kind

next one up is the 'throw' targeting mode which in contrast has a limited distance and an aoe target reticule but is free-aim, basically for sub-weapons that are "grenade-like" such as holy water and garlic.
e: and just like that i have a first draft for the throw mode :toot:

i'll need to draw some nice and clear indicators of the range and aoe marker (i just used some assets i had lying around for this) and i'd appreciate any input here - what colors/patterns do y'all think would be the cleanest and most readable?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 25, 2022

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
sorry for doubleposting here but i recently came to the realization that i think i prefer "coffee break" roguelikes that are small and self-contained without a million systems - infra arcana is still my absolute favorite, i think it's really tightly designed and fun even if i die on the first level. anyone got any recommendations for similar ones?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Forward (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1766390/FORWARD_Escape_the_Fold__Ultimate_Edition/) is pretty fun and like that I think

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Brogue

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

why is this dungeon covered in piss

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally got around to trying The Last Spell and I'm really enjoying it. Had to stop after Night 4 in Gildenburg(sp?) but I unlocked recruitment so looking forward to night 5 with another body fighting back the horde!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I played it a bit at EA launch but it was a bit of a rocky start, a lot of required metaprogression to even see a win, not a lot of variety.

I waited until the most recent patch and the progress wipe to try it again and so far the experience is a lot smoother and I am going to put quite a bit more time in I think.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

new thread title posted:

Roguelikes - why is this dungeon covered in piss

Real answer, Rift Wizard is an enjoyable roguelike (maybe? Does it count? It's got random items and enemies and permadeath) that finishes pretty quick and has a lot of variety too

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 26, 2022

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

sorry for doubleposting here but i recently came to the realization that i think i prefer "coffee break" roguelikes that are small and self-contained without a million systems - infra arcana is still my absolute favorite, i think it's really tightly designed and fun even if i die on the first level. anyone got any recommendations for similar ones?

Forays into Norrendrin
The Ground Gives Way
Dungeons of Everchange (Believe~)
Frozen Depths
Professional Adventurers League
Rogue Effect Rings of Valor Drakefire Chasm

Definitely forgetting several others at varying degrees of in the shadows..

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GetDunked posted:

Real answer, Rift Wizard is an enjoyable roguelike (maybe? Does it count? It's got random items and enemies and permadeath) that finishes pretty quick and has a lot of variety too

I am incredibly bad at Rift Wizard but boy it's fun. I made a build where my wolves kill things and those things spawn fire ghosts when they die and then every time someone burns more ghosts happen. It's one of those games, where messed up synergies are the point. Like Siralim.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Rift Wizard also does the super important thing where the numbers are quite small and understandable, and all the upgrades are absolutely enormous

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Somfin posted:

Rift Wizard also does the super important thing where the numbers are quite small and understandable, and all the upgrades are absolutely enormous

one of these days i'll come back to that game. hopefully by then i'll be more overwhelmed by the enemies than by the size of the spell/etc list

choice paralysis be a bitch

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm trying out brogue and piss aside this is pretty great and has that "tightly designed" thing i like about infra arcana.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

one of these days i'll come back to that game. hopefully by then i'll be more overwhelmed by the enemies than by the size of the spell/etc list

choice paralysis be a bitch

there is a helpful hotkey to filter out all the bad spells and skills. just press "S" in the shop menu and it will take away all the bad choices, leaving you with a much more manageable list

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

there is a helpful hotkey to filter out all the bad spells and skills. just press "S" in the shop menu and it will take away all the bad choices, leaving you with a much more manageable list

sooooo stuff that isn't Sorcery is garbo is what you're telling me here, or am i misunderstanding

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Probably making a joke about the opposite, about how most builds are built around a ton of passives with only a few spells thrown in to get the ball rolling.

edit: Someone has won with every terrible gimmick you can imagine, but in general the idea of "just keep buying bigger spells to nuke bigger enemies" is gonna run into a wall very fast. Spawners filling the screen with chaff quickly outpace your action economy of one spell a turn, so you need a lot of "free" stuff that triggers off of each other to do the heavy lifting. A good example is the classic ice build: it's mostly just a heavily upgraded Icicle with snowball as backup, but there's two mid tier ice passives freeze extra enemies per ice spell cast, then damage everyone when dudes unfreeze, which leads to a lot of passive murder.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 26, 2022