Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

How were you measuring this? I remember some folks having problems with this in Windows 10 (myself included) that all turned out to be driver issues.

LatencyMon. It was triggering on either the Kernel itself or the Nvidia drivers.. which are okay in Windows 10. The spikes were so bad the system would glitch and cursor would jutter. It was after 22H2 for sure that I noticed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

redeyes posted:

LatencyMon. It was triggering on either the Kernel itself or the Nvidia drivers.. which are okay in Windows 10. The spikes were so bad the system would glitch and cursor would jutter. It was after 22H2 for sure that I noticed it.

Yeah, I'll run it for a bit and see. I haven't noticed any weird issues so I'm wondering if it's some chipset driver/etc that might get improved over time like it was in Win10.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, I'll run it for a bit and see. I haven't noticed any weird issues so I'm wondering if it's some chipset driver/etc that might get improved over time like it was in Win10.

Im sure its that.. I just couldn't fix it trying different driver cobos and also BIOS updates. It could be the drat mobo as well, so hard to say for DPC crap.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
DPC has to be the worst thing in Windows.
Boy, I love buying a brand new laptop and not being able to play video (or sometimes even audio!) without stuttering.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
New easier method for installing with a local account only in 11 22H2:

1. During account setup, say you already have a MS account
2. Enter "test@test.com" as your email, and "test" as the password
3. After it fails, click next and you can make a local account

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

redeyes posted:

Can the free edition measure DPC stuffs?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Klyith posted:

New easier method for installing with a local account only in 11 22H2:

1. During account setup, say you already have a MS account
2. Enter "test@test.com" as your email, and "test" as the password
3. After it fails, click next and you can make a local account

Haha. Great tip.

What happens if the machine has no internet connection?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Heran Bago posted:

Haha. Great tip.

AFAIK if you aren't connected to the internet it still won't let you make a local account. You have to either use a registry setting on the installer, the OOBE command, or this blacklisted email trick.

edit: or did you mean "does the test email work if you have no internet connection?" I haven't tried this myself, evidently these are hitting a local blacklist so probably work with no internet? But I don't know for sure, and 11 will halt the install when you have no internet. If the no internet halt is before it asks to make an account, that wouldn't work.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 26, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt. Parts posted:

Can the free edition measure DPC stuffs?

Definitely.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

Haha. Great tip.

IM not %100 sure but you used to be able to Shift-F10 which drops you to a CMD prompt and then run tasmgr.exe. Then kill the 'Network Connection Flow' process which allows just adding in a local account.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

Jesus Christ
Right? As Falcon said it doesn't seem to affect Notepad but seriously how does this keep happening.

redeyes posted:

IM not %100 sure but you used to be able to Shift-F10 which drops you to a CMD prompt and then run tasmgr.exe. Then kill the 'Network Connection Flow' process which allows just adding in a local account.
Yep, I had to do this the last time I installed Win11. Hopefully it still works, quoting this now in part so I could find this later :)

Unfortunately we'll probably be soon at a point where we have to just clone complete images over in order to avoid this bullshit. I really don't get why they're focused on this so much, 99% o the normies will just get a pre-setup system anyway.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
They've gotten rid of the network connection flow trick on newer installs, now they throw up an error and go back to the previous step.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Can you setup with a MS account, make a local account, and then nuke the MS account? Even if this is possible, it's real loving dumb.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Can you setup with a MS account, make a local account, and then nuke the MS account? Even if this is possible, it's real loving dumb.

That's what I did on the new laptop I bought in August at least.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Right? As Falcon said it doesn't seem to affect Notepad but seriously how does this keep happening.

Yep, I had to do this the last time I installed Win11. Hopefully it still works, quoting this now in part so I could find this later :)

Unfortunately we'll probably be soon at a point where we have to just clone complete images over in order to avoid this bullshit. I really don't get why they're focused on this so much, 99% o the normies will just get a pre-setup system anyway.

I just tried this on a brand new HP with 22H2... and it loving failed. The OOBE poo poo its pants and just refused to go further, restarted itself, broke the wifi permanently and then I just nuked the loving SSD and installed Windows 10 because I don't have time for this poo poo. Microsoft hates us all.

[edit] fwiw I spent 30 mins trying some registry stuff. None worked, but Im sure someone with more time will figure it out

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 27, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Rufus can create install media that doesn't have the Microsoft account requirement.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Rufus can create install media that doesn't have the Microsoft account requirement.

Huh, maybe thats the best idea, nuke the SSD and use that to make a new install.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah, I was surprised to discover that one by accident pretty much.
(Those two options were checked by default, I think.)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Is it possible to have tray icons on other displays than the primary one yet?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hooo boy getting some 30-second-long freezes after installing KB5018496

Wonder if the UI changes aren’t playing too well with StartAllBack

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cross-Section posted:

Hooo boy getting some 30-second-long freezes after installing KB5018496

Wonder if the UI changes aren’t playing too well with StartAllBack

Is it the file explorer doing this or specific applications?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is it the file explorer doing this or specific applications?

File Explorer, Firefox, and the Photos app of all things. In any case, it stopped when I uninstalled the update.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Bypass Windows 11 22H2 Online account

quote:

When you get to the “connect to the internet” screen, hit Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.
Type OOBE\BYPASSNRO and then press enter.

And it works. It does restart the system once but NICE.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Cross posting from the windows thread since it seems to be dead now

beuges posted:

I have a low powered spare laptop that would ideally be better suited as an extra screen to my main laptop than a separate machine. Is there any sort of software that will treat a separate pc as an extra screen?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

beuges posted:

I have a low powered spare laptop that would ideally be better suited as an extra screen to my main laptop than a separate machine. Is there any sort of software that will treat a separate pc as an extra screen?

There is KVM software that would do that. Something like Synergy (paid now), Input Director, Mouse Without Border (Microsoft's version). I used Synergy back in the day, but not since it went paid. MWB I used recently, and it's pretty good.

Windows itself has Project to this PC. Both systems have to be on Win10 at least.

Last one I know of is called Spacedesk. I've seen it talked about that it can be used with just about anything that can connect to your network and is/has a screen.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
[edit] wrong thread, sheesh

redeyes fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 2, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Koskun posted:

There is KVM software that would do that. Something like Synergy (paid now), Input Director, Mouse Without Border (Microsoft's version). I used Synergy back in the day, but not since it went paid. MWB I used recently, and it's pretty good.

Windows itself has Project to this PC. Both systems have to be on Win10 at least.

Last one I know of is called Spacedesk. I've seen it talked about that it can be used with just about anything that can connect to your network and is/has a screen.

Are some of those capable of working over a cable of some sort? I've made light use of the Windows Project to PC function, and found that on low-powered hardware it struggles, and even on higher-powered hardware the wifi lag can be annoying. I've also tried using a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and run into some of the same issues. With the lag it would be okay for presenting or something, but as a second monitor it frequently left something to be desired.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are some of those capable of working over a cable of some sort? I've made light use of the Windows Project to PC function, and found that on low-powered hardware it struggles, and even on higher-powered hardware the wifi lag can be annoying. I've also tried using a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and run into some of the same issues. With the lag it would be okay for presenting or something, but as a second monitor it frequently left something to be desired.

Synergy, at least when it was free, doesn’t actually make the laptop a screen for the main computer. Instead it lets you use the main computer’s keyboard and mouse to control the laptop, so you can run whatever on the laptop and still only have one set of input devices. It works fantastically as long as you don’t need to move stuff between computers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kalman posted:

Synergy, at least when it was free, doesn’t actually make the laptop a screen for the main computer. Instead it lets you use the main computer’s keyboard and mouse to control the laptop, so you can run whatever on the laptop and still only have one set of input devices. It works fantastically as long as you don’t need to move stuff between computers.

For that purpose my Logitech mouse and keyboard could do that, although I've never really played around with it. They call it "Flow," I think. I hadn't really thought about that as a way to achieve something akin to a second screen, even if the two machines are still discrete devices.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Far as I know, no. They all will require network connection of some sort.

Unless your laptop has a video input (which I can't recall ever seeing on a laptop), it will have to be done through software. Unless...

There is always the option of ripping the screen off the thing, get a small input board, and viola, you have a second monitor. You can probably find a frame and stand setup through one of the many 3d printing repositories, or make one out of some u-channel. There are multiple videos out there on how to do this But, the cost and time to get everything could be days or weeks.

You might be better off just getting a cheap monitor and not having to deal with any of that, just hook it up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Koskun posted:

Far as I know, no. They all will require network connection of some sort.

Unless your laptop has a video input (which I can't recall ever seeing on a laptop), it will have to be done through software. Unless...

There is always the option of ripping the screen off the thing, get a small input board, and viola, you have a second monitor. You can probably find a frame and stand setup through one of the many 3d printing repositories, or make one out of some u-channel. There are multiple videos out there on how to do this But, the cost and time to get everything could be days or weeks.

You might be better off just getting a cheap monitor and not having to deal with any of that, just hook it up.

That's kind of what I did for my main machine - I got a weird little 11" touchscreen monitor and run it on a monitor arm off to the side of my main screen. The touchscreen doesn't really work in this application, but if I was mirroring a tablet or phone it could be handy. I don't need a full second monitor, and this little thing works well for keeping Discord up or having a map up while I'm playing a game and using a walkthrough of some sort.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I bought Synergy ages ago. Still use it from time to time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

There is a windows 8.1 computer a family member has that I am trying to upgrade, and the windows 10 upgrade installer fails with a simple “Windows 10 installation has failed” popup. Apparently you can’t upgrade directly from 8.1 to 11, and booting from a windows 10 iso directly asks for a product key. I tried everything on this website to no avail. Am I going to have to buy a new copy of windows?

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-10-installation-has-failed/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

There is a windows 8.1 computer a family member has that I am trying to upgrade, and the windows 10 upgrade installer fails with a simple “Windows 10 installation has failed” popup. Apparently you can’t upgrade directly from 8.1 to 11, and booting from a windows 10 iso directly asks for a product key. I tried everything on this website to no avail. Am I going to have to buy a new copy of windows?

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-10-installation-has-failed/

If the machine was made for 8.1 then it might not be a great idea trying to install 11 on it.

Is there a Certificate of Authenticity on the laptop? Maybe under the battery? That should have a product key on it.

If you need to pull a product key off Windows there are applications that will do it, but it's been a while since I last needed to and don't remember offhand what to use.

In any case, if you need to get a Windows product key you can buy one on SA-Mart for like $20 or less. I've bought several from Brown Thunder and had no issues.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
ancient rear end Belarc Advisor is still available as freeware and can pull the windows key from the 8.1 machine

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If the machine was made for 8.1 then it might not be a great idea trying to install 11 on it.

Is there a Certificate of Authenticity on the laptop? Maybe under the battery? That should have a product key on it.

If you need to pull a product key off Windows there are applications that will do it, but it's been a while since I last needed to and don't remember offhand what to use.

In any case, if you need to get a Windows product key you can buy one on SA-Mart for like $20 or less. I've bought several from Brown Thunder and had no issues.

It's a machine I built like 10 years ago, it doesn't have TPM so can't run windows 11

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

It's a machine I built like 10 years ago, it doesn't have TPM so can't run windows 11

Well, yeah, that's why I said you probably wouldn't want to try installing 11 on it. :confused:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I would use Rufus to make a Windows 10 install stick and I bet Windows activates itself.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You dont need to retrieve the key if it already had 8+ on it. Just google "media creation tool" and use the resulting MS link to create a bootable win 10 install USB and install cleanly from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a self-built PC then the license won't be stored in the firmware