Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Give it some time before fridging after shaping. Maybe purposefully overferment one. Your loaves are vertical/bulbus enough you're certainly not overfermenting.

I'll try doing it longer. I've normally been shaping about 6 hrs in and fridge it 2 hours after. Here's the crumb of that loaf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Dacap posted:

Another new bake. Still getting the same aggressive torn ears. I did a longer proof than normal this time, 8 hrs bulk and a 24 hr fridge proof so I think I've ruled out the underproofing theory and I must be shaping too tight. Also my first time trying an unlined banneton to proof

This was laminated with 4 coil folds and then stitched in the banneton before the cold retard.

What are you using to score your bread?

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

null_pointer posted:

I just got a copy of Flour Water Salt Yeast and wow is it totally on the opposite end of the spectrum than I'm used to. Super wet doughs, everything kneaded by hand, a huge focus on folding and shaping that wet dough, long overnight cold final proofs, etc. I'm actually wondering if I should return it, but it comes so highly recommended.

How do bread-goons view the book? Is it worth it? Are there ways to work in my stand mixer because holy poo poo do I hate kneading by hand, especially wet doughs.

I'm a big fan and it's honestly the easiest possible process after literal no-knead bread, definitely no mixer required. It only needs enough hands on work to combine all the ingredients, then you're doing 2-3 sets of folding it onto itself over the next hour or so. The hands on time is low and it's not at all like traditional kneading.

I also found the higher hydration doughs surprisingly easy to work with. With wetting your hands a bit and only having to do folds it never really sticks too much and the dough gets so much more structure to it after just to 1-2 folds, so it's never hard to deal with it.

There's at least a few recipes that are same day ferment + proof, the overnight is nice for a bit of extra flavour though. I'm sure in most cases you could replace an overnight proof with a few hours at room temp and it would still work fine.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Toast King posted:

I'm a big fan and it's honestly the easiest possible process after literal no-knead bread, definitely no mixer required. It only needs enough hands on work to combine all the ingredients, then you're doing 2-3 sets of folding it onto itself over the next hour or so. The hands on time is low and it's not at all like traditional kneading.

I also found the higher hydration doughs surprisingly easy to work with. With wetting your hands a bit and only having to do folds it never really sticks too much and the dough gets so much more structure to it after just to 1-2 folds, so it's never hard to deal with it.

There's at least a few recipes that are same day ferment + proof, the overnight is nice for a bit of extra flavour though. I'm sure in most cases you could replace an overnight proof with a few hours at room temp and it would still work fine.

Agree with all this, I was a little disappointed that all the recipes involved hand mixing as I had just gotten a stand mixer shortly before getting the book but once you do a few, you realize it's actually very easy and the bread comes out great.

This was my first attempt - which yielded the best bread I'd made to date, and they've gotten a little better since after getting used to the process.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Ishamael posted:

What are you using to score your bread?

UFO-style lame with a razor

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Boxman posted:

We got a stand mixer for an absolute steal at a garage sale so I am, for the first time in my life, trying to make bread. It is...not going great.

I've decided that mixer knead times are just longer. I had more and more success as I increased the time. I started with about three minutes and have so far gone up to around eight.

A major problem with testing your kneading is you can delude yourself into thinking it's ready. The windowpane can pass with a little bit of extra handling and you can fool yourself into thinking it's ready to go. We're afraid of overkneading but a few videos I saw in the last year experimenting with that concluded that you really have to work at it to make that happen. I did it once with one dough but turned out the flour I used was incorrectly labelled and it was low-gluten to begin with.

I was about to do an experiment for my next loaf where I let that son of a bitch go for 20 straight minutes. Note that I'm using a 5-gallon Hobart with a mechanical transmission that laughs at my dough. I don't remember the spec for a contemporary KitchenAid but I know it doesn't recommend running so long at once.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've decided that mixer knead times are just longer. I had more and more success as I increased the time. I started with about three minutes and have so far gone up to around eight.

A major problem with testing your kneading is you can delude yourself into thinking it's ready. The windowpane can pass with a little bit of extra handling and you can fool yourself into thinking it's ready to go.

So, my doughs never ever pass the windowpane test when I pull them out of the stand mixer. They follow the instructions of "sticking to the bottom but clearing the sides" of the mixing bowl, but it takes three letter folds over the course of 90 minutes or so before it's really properly stretchy.

Am I pulling my dough from the stand mixer way too early?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That's stuff I'm trying to figure out. I am thinking that the bit of fiddling I do with under-kneaded dough when doing the windowpane test improves it beyond what the rest of the dough is like and I foil it. Or I stretch it out enough and decide it passes when it should actually stretch more. I'm setting myself up for a loaf tomorrow where I plan to gun it on the kneading and see what happens.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Started the basic white loaf in flour water salt yeast (or whatever the hell it's called). So far there's not a whole lot of difference between this one, and the one I typically do from serious eats. The dough is basically the same, I'm doing the same folds, it really doesn't have any different structure, in the bowl. I'm hoping that it turns out well, but I'm not expecting any real big surprises from your basic all day white bread loaf.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Ummm, okay. Maybe there's something to all the hype that Flour Water Salt Yeast gets.

On the last one, turn on the sound. I haven't gotten that sort of crackling in a long time. I have no idea what part of this recipe or technique makes it so impressive.

Edit: No idea why embedding MP4s won't work. Here's a link to the gallery: https://imgur.com/a/ReZZO0S

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Ummm, okay. Maybe there's something to all the hype that Flour Water Salt Yeast gets.

It looks good! It feels a bit like magic when it all comes together properly sometimes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I like to buy weird flours and throw a bit of them into my breads. Since most of them are non-glutenous, I throw in a fairly small percentage compared to the wheat, but they definitely can effect the taste. Cornflour's very successful, leading to golden loafs that taste pleasantly corny. Anyway, I've got some coconut bread on the go, so wish me the best of luck. I'm wondering if I should put some dessicated flakes on the top just to commit to the gimmick.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

pleasantly corny.

The Bread Thread: Pleasantly Corny

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Mixer kneading trip report:

The bread came out a little bit better. I actually got something close to an ear this time. However, that could have been from a longer preheat of my Dutch oven at a little lower temperature. This is something I heard about recently and gave a shot. So I was changing a few variables. I also used 100% KA bread flour and not a 50/50 mix with some hippy flour. So either it was that or accidentally using 475g of water instead of 425g but the dough was really drat wet.

Anyways, after 6 minutes of kneading, the windowpane test sucked. After 20 minutes of kneading, it still sucked. After 40 minutes of kneading, it still sucked.

The lamination was no better. It was still stupidly sticky and there was no drat way I was going to pick it up and pull it out. I just kind of spread it around with my paddles.

The dough also didn't cut any different. It was still a pain in the rear end with a straight razor blade.

What I'd like to do is try to double the recipe, but my bannetons are two small for that. I think my 5-gallon mixer is just kind of spinning the dough ball around when it kneads. If I can't get larger bannetons to do a larger loaf then I guess I experiment with some manual kneading methods after a first pass in the mixer. Either way, I don't think I'm really using the gluten anywhere as well as I could.

Edit: actually I have a bread couche so I guess I could push that into any old bigger bowl and give that a go too.

Edit edit: I also do pizza and for that I'm doing multiple kilograms and getting some big dough moving around in the mixer. I'm not literally doing the lamination method on that dough afterwards but I am pulling it to make pizza. That's at 65% hydration without too much extra flour. So that's one reason I think I just need to make more dough. For an experiment, I could even just double the recipe and freeze half of it.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 29, 2022

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

In my experience, the stand mixer will save you the kneading but not the resting. Making a very basic pizza dough of 65% hydration, it will come out of the mixed crumbly almost but very smooth. After resting for 15 minutes, cutting it into small balls that will I'll let sit for an hour before shaping into pizza's will make for super thin crusts (if I feel like that), definitely passing the window pane test.
The title of that book should be "FWSY and time".

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

First try of the 50% whole wheat biga from FWSY - I went a bit light on flour in the banneton and it stuck a little when getting it out. It didn't lose too much of the shape in the end which was a relief. Having a good time picking randomly from these two books lately.

The loaf recipes from his other book have been great too, majority can be done in either a loaf pan or regular round dutch oven if preferred. No photos of those loaves but putting 100g of levain straight from the fridge is such a nice boost to flavour longevity. Works great as an add-in for any yeast-based FWSY recipes too.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 29, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Keetron posted:

In my experience, the stand mixer will save you the kneading but not the resting. Making a very basic pizza dough of 65% hydration, it will come out of the mixed crumbly almost but very smooth. After resting for 15 minutes, cutting it into small balls that will I'll let sit for an hour before shaping into pizza's will make for super thin crusts (if I feel like that), definitely passing the window pane test.
The title of that book should be "FWSY and time".

So are you saying to try the windowpane test after letting rest a bit?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So are you saying to try the windowpane test after letting rest a bit?

I would say trying the test after resting and folding. I've never gotten a good windowpane test out of the mixer, either, but I probably could after two or three folds.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Happy 3rd birthday to my sourdough starter! Samwise makes many good breads, but pizza is probably my favorite.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was rummaging around online trying to substantiate mixer knead times and concluded that 3 minutes is too short, but something like 5 minutes, break, 5 minutes seems to work well. I tried that one today.

Something else I've figured out is that I am not getting that "gluten skin" or "surface tension" or whatever you want to call it. After a bunch of handling, the dough was still sticking to the counter. What I read was that the dough had to ferment more. When I do pizzas, I cold ferment for days, and I don't have anywhere as much sticking. On the other hand, I'm doing 65% hydration for pizza. My bread dough is 85%. Well, I'll see. It went in the fridge with some plastic wrap over the bowl.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was rummaging around online trying to substantiate mixer knead times and concluded that 3 minutes is too short, but something like 5 minutes, break, 5 minutes seems to work well. I tried that one today.

Something else I've figured out is that I am not getting that "gluten skin" or "surface tension" or whatever you want to call it. After a bunch of handling, the dough was still sticking to the counter. What I read was that the dough had to ferment more. When I do pizzas, I cold ferment for days, and I don't have anywhere as much sticking. On the other hand, I'm doing 65% hydration for pizza. My bread dough is 85%. Well, I'll see. It went in the fridge with some plastic wrap over the bowl.

My sandwich dough is 80% hydration and I don't have problems with it sticking, but I also mix it and then leave it alone for hours or days before I mess with it again. (It's a no-knead dough.) Also the sourdough starter always helps; the gluten in it helps kick off good reactions for structure I think.

Time (almost) always helps bread!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like to buy weird flours and throw a bit of them into my breads. Since most of them are non-glutenous, I throw in a fairly small percentage compared to the wheat, but they definitely can effect the taste. Cornflour's very successful, leading to golden loafs that taste pleasantly corny. Anyway, I've got some coconut bread on the go, so wish me the best of luck. I'm wondering if I should put some dessicated flakes on the top just to commit to the gimmick.

I was super happy with it when I pulled it from the oven, but the texture is very dense and it was a bit underbaked. It does smell softly of coconut, and has a coconut aftertase, which I actually kinda like. But I probably won't be repeating the experiment any time soon, mostly because I killed the bag of flour and am currently in a mood for emptying the flour cupboard, not refilling it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

effika posted:

My sandwich dough is 80% hydration and I don't have problems with it sticking, but I also mix it and then leave it alone for hours or days before I mess with it again. (It's a no-knead dough.) Also the sourdough starter always helps; the gluten in it helps kick off good reactions for structure I think.

Time (almost) always helps bread!

Do you leave it in the fridge or is all this on the countertop?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you leave it in the fridge or is all this on the countertop?

Like 12-15 hours on the counter, or sometimes 4-8hrs on the counter plus possibly 2 or 3 days in the fridge, depending on if I get time to bake it or want a really sour loaf.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My late mother-in-law always swore by stone-ground cornmeal for cornbread. I believe in her and her ways. Since we moved out of the South, shipping on stone-ground has been eating me alive; I had been buying from Anson Mills in Texas, but I just can't afford it. Who can you recommend on the West Coast to mail-order stone-ground cornmeal and grits and such?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Drill tweet, but with stone ground cornmeal.

You could try Goya Fine Yellow Corn Meal which I think is probably easier to get locally. It's not a "stone ground" label but it might be closer then you expect

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The whole point of stone-ground corn meal is that it is not fine.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

For people making super high hydration sourdough yeats, about what percentage by weight of flour are you putting in there? A rough calculation has me at 65%, but from these posts about the dough being unkneadable I guess that's pretty low.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

For people making super high hydration sourdough yeats, about what percentage by weight of flour are you putting in there? A rough calculation has me at 65%, but from these posts about the dough being unkneadable I guess that's pretty low.

I think the lowest hydration bread I do on anything is something like 68%.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bagels can go as low as 45!

This also kills kitchen aids

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My late mother-in-law always swore by stone-ground cornmeal for cornbread. I believe in her and her ways. Since we moved out of the South, shipping on stone-ground has been eating me alive; I had been buying from Anson Mills in Texas, but I just can't afford it. Who can you recommend on the West Coast to mail-order stone-ground cornmeal and grits and such?

I'm a long time lover of good stone ground cheese grits, but for corn bread I'd suggest giving this recipe a shot: https://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/old-fashioned-cornbread-and-buttermilk-with-spring-onions/

It uses a fine grind but it's the best God damned corn bread I've ever had.

I've used random fine ground stuff from grocery stores, Goya, etc.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gwaihir posted:

I'm a long time lover of good stone ground cheese grits, but for corn bread I'd suggest giving this recipe a shot: https://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/old-fashioned-cornbread-and-buttermilk-with-spring-onions/

It uses a fine grind but it's the best God damned corn bread I've ever had.

I've used random fine ground stuff from grocery stores, Goya, etc.

Your link gives a "page not found" error.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Well poo poo. Here it is from archives. My notes: make sure to let your cast iron get good and hot in the oven first, do not skimp on the preheating time. You probably also need to use more oil than called for, you need enough to generously coat the whole bottom and sides of your pan.

Yields
2 cornbreads

Recipe from chef Kevin Gillepsie of Gunshow, Atlanta, Georgia

Ingredients
For the cornbread:
4 ounces vegetable oil or lard, divided
4 cups fine white cornmeal, preferably J.T. Pollard brand
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons salt
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
4½ cups buttermilk, plus extra for serving
2 eggs, beaten
5 ounces butter, melted

Directions
Make the cornbread:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place two (10-inch) cast-iron pans into oven, each filled with 2 ounces vegetable oil or lard. Allow pans to preheat along with oven.
Combine all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Combine wet ingredients with dry, and add melted butter. Adjust consistency of batter with additional buttermilk until the mixture resembles thick pancake batter.
Pour mixture into preheated cast-iron pans and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.

E: some previous pics

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 2, 2022

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Give it some time before fridging after shaping. Maybe purposefully overferment one. Your loaves are vertical/bulbus enough you're certainly not overfermenting.

Gave this a try and pushed the time from mixing in the starter to the fridge to 10 hrs. Definitely over proofed so I'll try dialling back an hour.

Also hosed up the score because the blade dragged

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Had an extra successful basic white loaf from FWSY tonight, with 100g starter added in for extra flavour/to make it a little bit bigger.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Used this recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TjUWnAK0cg&t=439s

Specifically to duplicate that Pizza Hut style my family apparently loves. Worked out ok (still more flour than the recipe required, but at least not twice as much). They did ask for a thicker crust next time - any specific recipes for that, or alterations to the recipe above?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Toast King posted:

Had an extra successful basic white loaf from FWSY tonight, with 100g starter added in for extra flavour/to make it a little bit bigger.

Looks awesome!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Made this kumara bread recipe. It's fine, I love the rosemary but am not getting much sweet potato, and I baked it about twice as long as recommended. (I did expect a longer bake time since I scaled it up to get a 3rd loaf.) Think I'll make it as a sourdough next time I have leftover baked sweet potatoes. She has you boil them but I didn't get a very even mash out of it.

Still, though-- recommended if you have leftover baked sweet potatoes, since rosemary, whole wheat, and sweet potatoes are a pretty good combo.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Good crumb on the bread today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The breadmaking machine I used to mix my dough stopped mixing for... whatever reason. Age and pure embarrassment, probably.

Got a mixer with a couple of dough hooks:
https://hamiltonbeach.com/dough-hooks-62630r-990143000

And the dough just climbed up the hooks and onto the mixer like a strangling vine. Would a more hook-like mixing hook help? Is it a matter of dough consistency? Just a fact of life?