Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bicievino posted:

Wait, what? XTR di2 came out in 2014.

Oh yeah, I started looking for first wireless mtb group and performed some erasure on Shimano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Scrapez posted:

Why don't they make dropper posts with linear actuators that allow up and down travel without having to use your body weight to lower them?

Running directly with a motorized linear actuator is really power hungry and would need a big battery. The seat isn't exactly heavy but you still have to move >100 grams >100mm over and over. With something like a reverb (axs or not), it only has to move a small actuator a small distance to trigger the release of stored energy in the air spring that the rider helpfully compressed.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Today I cleared all three scary downhill features in the gully on Horsetheif but paid a blood price for it. Probably worth.

This segment in particular https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxuUIe6odcuyC1cYIMhqIi4z5DXiFIUHoN

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Eejit posted:

Today I cleared all three scary downhill features in the gully on Horsetheif but paid a blood price for it. Probably worth.

This segment in particular https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxuUIe6odcuyC1cYIMhqIi4z5DXiFIUHoN

gently caress ya! Nice work

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I thought this was a pricing error, but their site just sent me a shipping confirmation:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-36-FLOAT-Factory-Grip-2-29-2022

apparently the fit4 is on sale as well

n8r fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 27, 2022

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Got some Deity High Side 80mm rise bars for my San Quentin 2. The stack height is super low in stock form and my old back isn't a fan.

I ordered the 35mm because Marin lists the stem as 35 only to find out the stem is 31.8. Found a new Race Face Turbine locally so I swapped that out as well. (The parts swap addiction has begun.)

I'm sure it'll make climbing more difficult. I can already tell the front tire is easier to bring up on flat ground. But, hunching over was killing my back.

I rode all of Esther's Loop today without putting my feet down or for a rest for the first time. Really bad at riding a mountain bike but getting better. This poo poo is hard. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arkansas/esther-s-loop

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Scrapez posted:

Got some Deity High Side 80mm rise bars for my San Quentin 2. The stack height is super low in stock form and my old back isn't a fan.

I ordered the 35mm because Marin lists the stem as 35 only to find out the stem is 31.8. Found a new Race Face Turbine locally so I swapped that out as well. (The parts swap addiction has begun.)

I'm sure it'll make climbing more difficult. I can already tell the front tire is easier to bring up on flat ground. But, hunching over was killing my back.

I rode all of Esther's Loop today without putting my feet down or for a rest for the first time. Really bad at riding a mountain bike but getting better. This poo poo is hard. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arkansas/esther-s-loop

I've been looking at these for a few months. I'm 6'7 so I just need a gently caress ton of stack height, even on my XXL Fuel EX.

How's the stiffness? And were there any climbs on your ride today?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

PolishPandaBear posted:

I've been looking at these for a few months. I'm 6'7 so I just need a gently caress ton of stack height, even on my XXL Fuel EX.

How's the stiffness? And were there any climbs on your ride today?

They seem more stiff than the stock bars but hard for me to tell. I've only just put them on tonight and ridden around the street with them.

There were lots of climbs on my ride today and I did that with the stock bars. Plan to do the same route tomorrow for direct comparison so I'll let you know.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

3D metal printing has come a long way in the last few years.

That pulley is pure showing off but the tech is real.

Oh for sure, the WTF was the price, not the technology

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Scrapez posted:

Interested to hear how these go also. I had some 50mm bars on my fuel but never feel like the stack height is enough. Now I have a longer stem with a higher angle (adjustable from like 13 to 21 degrees I think) to try to accomplish the same thing but still doesn't seem like enough for my shoulders/traps. My hips joints are not OEM and my riding position is more upright because of it so all new bikes feel super stretched out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've always felt like I'm more comfortable in DH with the highest stack I can get, I know pros will lower their stack on some tracks to I guess have their weight more over the front but I can't fathom it.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Meet the new-to-me bike: a 2020 Scott Scale 970 hardtail

The previous owner had the wheels re-done with wider tubeless rims and WTB Ground Control brown wall tires. I'm not 100% sold on brown wall tires but they grip really well so there's no reason to change those out any time soon. He also replaced the stock Synchros bars with the red anodized bar and added some aesthetic touches such as the red bottle cage and a "Patapsco Valley State Park" stem cap.

Here's the listing photo:

To that I added some gray anodized Deity Black Kat pedals and a PNW Components 140mm Loam dropper post. I also have an SDG saddle on order, but might end up sticking with the Synchros one because it's super lightweight and more comfortable than I expected it to be.

I got it out on the trail yesterday and it's a goer! I did have to re-learn how to do log overs without the benefit of a rear shock and my legs will need some re-calibration to act as the rear suspension on descents. The 32t / 50t combination is just right and the WTB Ground Control tires are nice and grippy even on damp rocks and logs.

TL:DR it's fun bike and will make a great training tool for teaching NICA riders how to get the most out of their hardtail!

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 2, 2022

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Rode the same 5 mile loop today with the Deity 80mm rise bars.

Verdict: I freaking love them. I honestly didn't notice the front end coming up any more easily on the climbs. My wrists and back feel a million times better with the more upright position.

The new stem I put on is 50mm so it pushed the bars forward a tad from the stock stem. The height of the bars brought them back so I think it was pretty much a wash. The result is the reach being the same but the stack height being much higher.

Not sure if it would work as well for others but I won't go back.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I went the opposite way and have a 35mm stem and 20mm rise bars because my head angle is so slack, I need to be forward to weight the front as much as I can so I keep grip on the front. I hate front wheel washouts.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Aphex- posted:

I went the opposite way and have a 35mm stem and 20mm rise bars because my head angle is so slack, I need to be forward to weight the front as much as I can so I keep grip on the front. I hate front wheel washouts.

Being new to riding, I'm not going fast enough for this usually to be an issue but I could see that when you're taking fast turns.

My headtube is 65° so definitely could be a problem in the future if I get better at riding.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there a primer on what bike to buy? It seems to be missing from the OP.

I want to get back into mountain biking after not doing it since high school but don't know where to start. I bike for my commute and errands almost daily. I've built up every bike I've owned for the last ~15 years but none of them were even vaguely for off road so my knowledge is pretty limited in the mtb world.

I'll probably ride mostly singletrack in the general Seattle area, where flat land does not exist. What features am I looking for? Full suspension? Any particular travel or geometry? What wheel size? I'm about 6' 2" so is 29er a good option or is that choice just personal preference?

Buying a full bike is the obvious easy solution here, but I'm also not opposed to piecing one together. I enjoying the process of finding and choosing parts, and through a volunteer thing I do I have access to the QBP catalog and a fully equipped professional shop. My timeline is to have something rideable by next spring so I'm in no rush. Not sure what my budget is exactly but I don't want to cheap out.

Any recommendations?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Most folks I see riding around here (greater Seattle area) fall in to a few categories of bike:
The hardtail masochists: you can do it, but even the folks I ride with who love their hardtails admit that many trails just aren't as fun on em

Full suspension xc bike: light enough to not hate the climbs, enough travel (barely) to enjoy most everything.

Trail bikes: for if you don't mind kinda hating the climb to enjoy the descents more

Emtbs: for if you dgaf about the climbing and just want to go downhill. not legal on most trails but doesn't seem to stop folks?

Everyone is on 29" wheels, and I'd be surprised if even with qbp access you could build something up cheaper than a full bike. OEM pricing is too good.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bicievino posted:

Most folks I see riding around here (greater Seattle area) fall in to a few categories of bike:
The hardtail masochists: you can do it, but even the folks I ride with who love their hardtails admit that many trails just aren't as fun on em

Full suspension xc bike: light enough to not hate the climbs, enough travel (barely) to enjoy most everything.

Trail bikes: for if you don't mind kinda hating the climb to enjoy the descents more

Emtbs: for if you dgaf about the climbing and just want to go downhill. not legal on most trails but doesn't seem to stop folks?

Everyone is on 29" wheels, and I'd be surprised if even with qbp access you could build something up cheaper than a full bike. OEM pricing is too good.

Thanks!

I forgot to say that I'll almost certainly be adding a motor kit to this bike. I jumped on the ebike train about 6 years ago its been amazing. No idea what the legality of ebike on trails is but I see them out when I'm hiking fairly regularly. I've found on the street that simply not riding like an rear end in a top hat prevents any trouble.

Given that I'm planning on making it an ebike, does a trail bike make sense over XC?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If you're gonna put a motor kit on it just buy an ebike.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

If you're gonna put a motor kit on it just buy an ebike.

I prefer kits for several reasons. Configurability, power, mod-ability, etc.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I prefer kits for several reasons. Configurability, power, mod-ability, etc.

You won't prefer it on a mountain bike.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Aphex- posted:

You won't prefer it on a mountain bike.

Why not? Not being stubborn, I'm curious why it would be worse on a mountain bike than a street bike.

A modern mid drive kit installed carefully installed is functionally identical to OEM models. The motor weight is in the same place, torque sensing is built in, there's more freedom on battery placement, and with some effort the wiring doesn't get in the way.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

There's too much variation in frame design to really be able to recommend something for an ebike kit since we don't know the requirements.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

There's too much variation in frame design to really be able to recommend something for an ebike kit since we don't know the requirements.

I don't need specific bikes, general categories are enough. Part of the project for me is figuring out frame's that will work with the system I want to use.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Get a bosch drive and slap a rohloff on, tear that poo poo (your wallet) up

https://www.cyclemonkey.com/blog/tech-talk-retrofit-your-e-bike-rohloff-e-14-electronic-shifting

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I don't need specific bikes, general categories are enough. Part of the project for me is figuring out frame's that will work with the system I want to use.

I think you will be making a lot of compromises and ultimately end up with a not great solution and/or spending more money. Especially with a full suspension bike. Many EMTBs come with different hubs and rims. Where the weight sits will really matter in the handling. You can do whatever you would like but not the route I would go.

Parting out a FS Mountain bike from a frame build up is usually laughably more expensive that just buying a complete. Alternatively... :homebrew:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Why not? Not being stubborn, I'm curious why it would be worse on a mountain bike than a street bike.

A modern mid drive kit installed carefully installed is functionally identical to OEM models. The motor weight is in the same place, torque sensing is built in, there's more freedom on battery placement, and with some effort the wiring doesn't get in the way.

Mountain biking is so different from street biking, if you kitted up a non stock MTB with a motor and battery like a street bike I wouldn't be surprised if it failed after one rough downhill trail.

EMTBs have had an insane amount of thought and effort invested in their design over years of iteration and are only just now becoming actually good. They still have problems but they'll have fewer problems than any home made DIY job.

Buuut if you are intent on doing it yourself then hell yes do it and post your frankenbike in this thread.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Please dont throttle drive a dirt bike at 20+ mph on MUPs and trails. TIA.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Car Hater posted:

Get a bosch drive and slap a rohloff on, tear that poo poo (your wallet) up

https://www.cyclemonkey.com/blog/tech-talk-retrofit-your-e-bike-rohloff-e-14-electronic-shifting

Lol. I actually run an IGH on my street bike, but it'd get shredded if I tried to use it much offroad. There are a couple new IGH's supposedly rated for ebike power coming out this year, but who knows if they're real and/or any cheaper than a Rohloff.

Aphex- posted:

Mountain biking is so different from street biking, if you kitted up a non stock MTB with a motor and battery like a street bike I wouldn't be surprised if it failed after one rough downhill trail.

EMTBs have had an insane amount of thought and effort invested in their design over years of iteration and are only just now becoming actually good. They still have problems but they'll have fewer problems than any home made DIY job.

Buuut if you are intent on doing it yourself then hell yes do it and post your frankenbike in this thread.

Building the bike is half the fun! I do product design and engineering for a living and its fun to use those skills for personal projects.

For reference I'll probably end up with something like this setup, battery shape/position notwithstanding.

And here's my current bike. The only part of the kit I'd be worried about mountain biking is the battery mount. That's something I'll need to be pretty careful with for mtb.

vikingstrike posted:

Please dont throttle drive a dirt bike at 20+ mph on MUPs and trails. TIA.

I already go out of my to avoid doing that. The only times I let the bike get to full speed and power are on long downhills on the road or once in awhile I'm stuck riding in fast car traffic.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

who knows if they're real and/or any cheaper than a Rohloff.

Don't ask how I know but yes and no in order.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Do the kit setups have the motor tied to pedaling or is it just all throttle? I would think most of those motors aren’t designed for the vibrations/impacts that a mtb can hand out.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Car Hater posted:

Don't ask how I know but yes and no in order.

Hell yeah and dammit. Thanks.

n8r posted:

Do the kit setups have the motor tied to pedaling or is it just all throttle? I would think most of those motors aren’t designed for the vibrations/impacts that a mtb can hand out.

Depends on the kit. The newer and better ones have crank torque sensing like any prebuilt system does. Most of them are configurable for any combination of pedal sensing control and/or throttle control you can think of.

They're absolutely durable enough for mountain bike use and people have been doing so for a decade. Vibrations aren't any different from a prebuilt motor. Direct impacts might be a bigger issue but they're basically a clock of metal. Anything that would damage it would damage any other part of the bike too.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
I dont have direct experience of ebikes, but a couple of riders that i know that do use and have them they reckon the bosch motors are a bit overkill as they wear out 12speed chains super quick - i think one of the guys had moved to a different bike with a weaker motor(i think a shimano) as the drive train costs were adding up. The other was just putting up with the costs and grumbling. I seem to remember them both saying 100 to 200 miles per chain. Geting the most powerful motor might sound good on paper but it might sting in other ways.

I also spoke to some bike shop guy saying that new ebike drive trains are probably going to be coming out at 11 speed for this reason. I would check out this sort of thing before investing.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
An actual emtb is going to have better integration, and you’ll be far less likely to destroy it or tear important bits off if you happen to lay it down or bin it. It’s going to feel better and work better, and honestly depending on your budget and how much those kits cost, it might not be that much more expensive. For actual mountain biking, it’s absolutely the better option. I don’t know Seattle area trails very well, but I’d make sure you’re checking the rules for local trails. Forest Service non-motorized trails do not allow ebikes. I don’t think Tiger or Raging River allow ebikes either.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Honestly the custom ebike mtb application is a quasi-dirtbike anyway, stay off any non-hardpack trails please. Over 750W and having an open throttle means you might not actually be legal off private property without a license and the most recommended bafang hub is 1000W, it's real wild-west stuff, most appropriate for the desert west.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 31, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Don’t buy a new bike if you’re going to convert it.
Just get a used alloy frame with room in the triangle for a battery

It can be done functionally if you know what you’re doing but there’s no point at all at spending a bunch of money on a new frame

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If I ever wanted an emtb I'd probably just get one of these

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/mountain/rise/cat/rise-m20-20mph

and I don't think bosch vs shimano has any real power difference. (although that rise is a lower power motor and smaller battery than what you can get).

Shimano has a drivetrain called "linkglide" that is supposed to last longer and is also I think working on an automatic shifting setup for e-bikes. It's incredibly common for people to leave it in like one gear all the time and then destroy just that cog on the cassette in a matter of like, weeks.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Been having thoughts about getting a used fatbike for snow riding again...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nohearum posted:

but can you put a motor on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Nohearum posted:

Are you near groomed trails? If so go for it.