Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Bayonetta 3? God of War 5? pff, hit me up when you're ready to play a REAL action game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8YiwgiN6Uw

Hahaha its comes out today and there are zero reviews online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The show is massive in Europe (and apparently South America), and basically unknown elsewhere. When I lived in Spain, there were as many little girls dressed as Ladybug for holiday festivals as there were boys as Marvel heroes, for instance. The UK, though? Nothing. It's made zero cultural impact whatsoever despite now being on Disney+. So I'm not really surprised that a Switch-looking cartoon fighting game that suddenly appeared from nowhere with almost no promotion hasn't drawn any attention.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am sort of curious if there’s actually any merit to the game or if it’s just another case of licensed shovelware (they did get the voice cast from the series back for it at least)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So at the end of ep 3 Hawkmoth is still running around cataclysm'd and presumably dying or whatever because he took ladybug's lucky charm, so... how is she ever going to lucky charm/fix poo poo if he has it? Does it expire? Can she do more than one at a time? Did I miss something?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Payndz posted:

The show is massive in Europe (and apparently South America), and basically unknown elsewhere. When I lived in Spain, there were as many little girls dressed as Ladybug for holiday festivals as there were boys as Marvel heroes, for instance. The UK, though? Nothing. It's made zero cultural impact whatsoever despite now being on Disney+. So I'm not really surprised that a Switch-looking cartoon fighting game that suddenly appeared from nowhere with almost no promotion hasn't drawn any attention.

I've heard people talk about it in Montreal. They seem convinced that the french dub is the original language even though the lipsync is done for the english recording.

The movie is also being made in Montreal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How popular is the show in the US for that matter?

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

Ccs posted:

I've heard people talk about it in Montreal. They seem convinced that the french dub is the original language even though the lipsync is done for the english recording.

The movie is also being made in Montreal.

He is called Papillon because he is a butterfly. He is in no way a hawk moth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well he has a new name now he's Monarch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I always assumed the show originated and was written/recorded first in France given the setting (I think the creator is French at least though Toei made the original 2D test pilot)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's a French show with regards to the creators and the primary production company (Zag), but was always aimed at an international (read English-speaking) market first and foremost. Hence the English lip-sync. Toei were going to be a major partner when it was 2D, but took a smaller role when it shifted to CGI.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

say no to scurvy posted:

He is called Papillon because he is a butterfly. He is in no way a hawk moth.

You mean Papa Leon, which sounds like a pimp, which starts to raise some questions on all those outfits

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was Ladybug’s costume the main reason they switched to CG (as reportedly it was a major pain in the rear end to draw/animate) or were there other factors? Because I always thought the Toei version looked really good and was glad they incorporated it into the series proper as an in-universe movie

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Even though the lipsync is “English first,” the voice directing has always had a forced lip-flap anime dub vibe to it. I wss watching the new episodes last night and it felt like everyone was rushing their lines.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Larryb posted:

Was Ladybug’s costume the main reason they switched to CG (as reportedly it was a major pain in the rear end to draw/animate) or were there other factors? Because I always thought the Toei version looked really good and was glad they incorporated it into the series proper as an in-universe movie

That was one reason given yeah. Consistency of spot placement is a pain. I think cost was the other though, 2D animation isn't cheap and fewer and fewer studios do it anymore.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Larryb posted:

I am sort of curious if there’s actually any merit to the game or if it’s just another case of licensed shovelware (they did get the voice cast from the series back for it at least)

I've scrubbed through some footage because while I've never watched the show my niece is into it so I figured even if the game was just kinda mediocre she might get some value out of it so I'd keep an eye on it with Christmas coming up but it looks super low rent. Really empty and basic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Yeah, I looked up the game on youtube and the first result was a 3 hour long full playthrough. No commentary, so if you really wanna experience the game there's that. An All Cutscenes video is also there for the length of a regular episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, I looked up the game on youtube and the first result was a 3 hour long full playthrough. No commentary, so if you really wanna experience the game there's that. An All Cutscenes video is also there for the length of a regular episode.

So what’s the game like then, is it basically a 3D brawler or is there more to it than that? Also how’s the story portion?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

S5E4: And with this we officially begin the new status quo for the season (Monarch uses the rings to transfer Miraculous powers to the people he akumatizes).

I also like that Socqueline was modeled after the 2D pilot version of Marinette but I couldn’t tell, did she have the same VA as well?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Episode 6 has surfaced, Marinette continues to be terrible with wax model.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Larryb posted:

S5E4: And with this we officially begin the new status quo for the season (Monarch uses the rings to transfer Miraculous powers to the people he akumatizes).

I also like that Socqueline was modeled after the 2D pilot version of Marinette but I couldn’t tell, did she have the same VA as well?

I don't think they ever did any dialogue for that; it was more of a demo/mood board.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Payndz posted:

I don't think they ever did any dialogue for that; it was more of a demo/mood board.

I meant did Socqueline have the same VA as Marinette

Also how did “Determination” come out early out of curiosity? The wiki says it’s not supposed to be out for another week or so

In regards to the actual episode I wonder if we’ll finally get an identity reveal this season that won’t be undone within an episode (from what I hear S5 will apparently bring the whole Gabriel plotline to a close after all)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 30, 2022

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

PowerBeard posted:

Episode 6 has surfaced, Marinette continues to be terrible with wax model.

the last time Marinette interacted with wax models, my SO and I had to pause the episode to scream for like three minutes. I hope it's close to that level

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Jubilation: I think my favourite gag in the show is now the bit where the Owl throws his homemade smoke bomb and there's a Batman-style scene transition...that just takes us back to the same scene.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So is it just me or between Chat freaking out about cataclysming Hawkmoth last ep and Chat losing his poo poo and being ready to cataclysm Darker Owl after his dream world shattered mean our boy is going to completely lose it this season? He seems to have an increasingly tenuous hold on himself...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oracle posted:

So is it just me or between Chat freaking out about cataclysming Hawkmoth last ep and Chat losing his poo poo and being ready to cataclysm Darker Owl after his dream world shattered mean our boy is going to completely lose it this season? He seems to have an increasingly tenuous hold on himself...

He also tries to cataclysm Manipula in Determination (though it doesn’t work since she had the power of the Bull Miraculous). I’m starting to wonder if this is going to become a trend this season

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 30, 2022

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Chat Blanc build up.

Hilarious that it's a preorder skin for the game.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Subbed Episode 7 is out in the wild. "Passion" is all the awkward flirting you've come to the show for, but in reverse. Clearly connects to Episode 6, so no worries there.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Finally found somewhere I could watch 5x03 and 4 that weren't riddled with malware or "see description for link to full episode!" (that leads to a site riddled with malware). Gabe is just straight-up Sadistic Evil with the way he treats the kwamis now, isn't he? "I'm so hungry..." [Dry pet nuggets drop from a chute] He was also hardcore to a degree never seen before, though: deliberately getting himself Cataclysmed and then removing the only way he could heal himself so he could escape was... ouch.

Marinette's plan in 03 was probably the most genius-level thing she's ever come up with. Just a shame that the episode didn't trust the viewers to work out what had happened for themselves and decided to recap what we'd seen five minutes ago with commentary rather than only filling in the blanks. But it was worth it for a grown-man supervillain being punked by a 14-year-old girl like Moe from The Simpsons. "42 Halfwit Street?!?" :argh:

I see that 5x05 isn't up anywhere yet, but 6 and 7 are; is there anything in them that links directly to what came before? It would be nice just once to be able to watch an entire season in the right order!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
No, 6 and 7 are very much post "Ring" episodes, the (other) Monarch is very much effected by the events of before.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Fully up to date. 'Passion' was great; I'd wondered how the writers were going to get Lady Noir and Mister Bug back, and the solution involved zero wacky hijinks! It was a nice moment to see Adrien be tempted in the same way as his father, but take the right path. Safari was a fantastic villain as well - I hope she comes back. We found out more about Natalie in two episodes than the previous four seasons.

Watching the episodes in order is probably more essential than ever this year, because all the Marinette/Adrien and Gabriel/Natalie stuff is serialised even in the villain of the week stories like the Pharaoh one. (Natalie pounding Gabriel's face into a counter and mocking him with "Gabe" was both surprising and a long time coming.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Payndz posted:

Fully up to date. 'Passion' was great; I'd wondered how the writers were going to get Lady Noir and Mister Bug back, and the solution involved zero wacky hijinks! It was a nice moment to see Adrien be tempted in the same way as his father, but take the right path. Safari was a fantastic villain as well - I hope she comes back. We found out more about Natalie in two episodes than the previous four seasons.

Watching the episodes in order is probably more essential than ever this year, because all the Marinette/Adrien and Gabriel/Natalie stuff is serialised even in the villain of the week stories like the Pharaoh one. (Natalie pounding Gabriel's face into a counter and mocking him with "Gabe" was both surprising and a long time coming.)

I’d argue it was already pretty essential back in Season 4 as the show has gradually become more and more serialized as it’s gone on

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Subbed Episode 8 is out, turns out Chloe is the real villian, she shitposts from her main account!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do episodes come out daily in France or something? New ones seem to be dropping pretty rapidly as of late

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Looks like it, but wasn't there production issues that meant they haven't finished the season yet?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PowerBeard posted:

Subbed Episode 8 is out, turns out Chloe is the real villian, she shitposts from her main account!
"Akuma88" as the first shitposter, they know their online trash even in France.

As for 'Elation' (5x09), you know how the love square has been an integral part of the show from day 1? That just got blown up. And put back together in a brand-new and probably more painful way. The first half of the episode was a real "just let them be happy, you bastards!" job, and they came so close... and then the akuma gets Marinette and it all goes to hell. Plus now Monarch is going to be threatening Marinette specifically because of what he learned.

But since there are now only 17 more episodes left of the situation as we've known it, and things have already been thrown into chaos this season, it's starting to seem like being on a roller coaster with no brakes. Bring it on. :toot:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Okay, who uploaded their weird Sims 4 Fanfiction video as Episode 9? It basically broke down to incomprehensible gibberish and kissing and I will not fall for it!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Still can't believe they actually kissed. No reset button, no mind control, not a hoax, not an imaginary story.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
André André might need to be put on suicide watch if he sees Ladybug and Adrian dating, or anyone else breaks up after eating his ice cream...

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 6, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally caught up with the most recent episodes, Nino’s little resistance group was fun and it was nice to see Lady Noir and Misterbug again. Maybe I missed a scene but what was up with the random Time Tagger cameo in Passion? Was he just an illusion or something?

Anyway things appear to be heating up now with the revelation that Gabe is slowly dying from the Cataclysm, the fact that Emile left a video explicitly stating she didn’t want to be brought back, Marinette and Adrien discovering the others’ feelings for their respective alter egos (and so did Monarch since the former now seems to have a giant target on her back) and based on her warning in Illusion it seems that Lila might be aware of Gabriel’s secret identity (Kagami’s mom seems to be in on it for some reason as well)

Assuming Season 7 is in fact the end of things I’ll be very curious to see where the plot goes from here (Felix seems to have some kind of plan brewing with the Peacock at the very least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Looks like the next two episodes to air (in Brazil) are going to be 5x12 and 5x18, skipping over the two-parter that's meant to come first. Hi ho, back to the usual muddle...