Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Miraculous Ladybug / Miraculous / Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir / Miraculous, les aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir is a French CG Superhero/Magical girl show set in modern-day Paris, teenagers. Marinette Dupain-Cheng(the titular Ladybug) and Adrien Agreste(Cat Noir) transform into superheroes when evil arises using magical jeweled objects known as the Miraculous. Oblivious to each other's true identities, the two work together to protect Paris from the mysterious villain Hawk Moth, who covets and attempts to steal their powers by using his akuma, butterflies infused with negative energy, to transform the city's everyday citizens into supervillains.

The show has run into some problems during its production as evidenced by the fact that it started in September 2015 and is currently on its 3rd Season. There are 56 episodes and a special currently. Episodes are available on Netflix if you're in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just saw a person review this, the show seems popular but the floaty 3D stuff feels off-putting to me.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Can you clarify what the problems with production were? A quick google search are just complaints about how the plots are not complex and how there is not enough character growth.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TV Zombie posted:

Can you clarify what the problems with production were? A quick google search are just complaints about how the plots are not complex and how there is not enough character growth.
AFAIK, most of the production problems started in season 2 when an additional animation house was brought in, and episodes kept having to go back for fixes - the show's creator Thomas Astruc (the source of the quote in the thread title) is pretty vocal on Twitter about all manner of things, especially politics, but he's railed in the past about animators who don't follow the director's storyboards. Since he's one of the main directors, it's easy enough to read between the lines. As a result, season 2's episodes were stretched out over more than a year, and frequently TV networks worldwide would schedule a particular episode, only for it to be postponed at the last minute.

Season 3 is already living up to this record, with four of the nine episodes scheduled to be shown in Canada this month being pulled.

As for the character growth issue, an unusual aspect of the show is that it's sort-of-but-not-entirely intended to be viewed in any order within a season; there are milestones within it when something of importance happens (eg, two of the major supporting characters start dating part-way through season 1), but between them they can be jumbled to allow for individual networks' preferences (and production snafus). In practice, though, even the milestones get jumbled, so apparent character development one episode (mainly Marinette's) gets reversed the next. Because of this, you get the impression that the writers have gone "gently caress it" for gradual developments and now save everything for the season openers and enders.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Content du jour to kick things off!

Why Is Everybody So Upset With Stormy Weather 2? on Tumblr (not mine, too long to repost in full)

For the uninitiated, the last episode (Stormy Weather 2) was loudly panned by much of the fandom. It was described as a clip show full of recaps, an inexplicable reset of several cast members to their Season 1 personalities, a returning villain whose battle with the heroes (on a villain-of-the-week-centered show) took place off-camera, hamfisted writing, and flat-out schizophrenic behavior from the leads.

(Marinette finally expressed some feelings to Adrien directly at the end of Season 2, kissing him on the cheek. The season opener, one of the only episode positions in which Miraculous can ever be said to possess any kind of serial continuity, showed Adrien having some flicker of awareness about Marinette. So what have we had since then? Weredad, in which Marichat hijinks dominated. Chris Master, :catdrugs:. Backwarder, in which Our Heroine takes another quite significant step forward in expressing her feelings, literally handing a confession of love to him (as far as she knew) and failing because of what was obviously a mixup. And ONE EPISODE LATER, she's decided that she's giving up and accepting that they'll just be friends?)

Cue the above link, trying to lay out how this clip episode was in fact the hidden masterpiece of the season and the long-awaited beginning of actual series continuity and progression. Astruc himself called it "Perfect analysis" on Twitter.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The character designs for this show are pretty great, and there's some older high-res renders that are spectacular, but it's another case of "what's wrong about fandom" a lot of the times.

I think part of it is that there's this group of people who were excited for the more traditional anime that was teased years and years ago, and the show that eventually fell into their laps is not one for them, and they can't let go. I have like a combined 200 posts across two Power Rangers related threads so I understand being a fan of some superhero thing that's not meant for you, but Ladybug is aimed at an even younger audience than that (or at least the dolls and syndication-friendly plot design seem to suggest as much) and people are concerned about shipping?

EDIT: To sound less like I'm trolling I'll point out that during it's very Sweet Valley High inspired beginning years, PR had like two kisses and four dates (and one of those was essentially "hanging out with a friend in the park") across the dozen or so relationships that it presented. Ladybug has one main relationship, and kissing is about as far as you're going to get in this age target. They could do whatever the French equivalent of a school dance episode is, I suppose.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 18, 2019

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Love Square, as the fans have dubbed it, really is one of the selling points of the show. For the uninitiated:

* Marinette is Ladybug. She is crushing hard on Adrien. She tends to get tongue-tied and nervous around him, though she's improving, and can't make herself just tell him.
* Adrien is Chat Noir. He is crushing hard on Ladybug. Ladybug values him greatly as a partner and friend, but has rebuffed his romantic advances consistently because she's in love with someone else (who is actually him, but she doesn't know that.)
* Marinette and Chat Noir are on friendly terms, and have shared some adventures together but do not view each other romantically.
* Ladybug and Adrien are crushing on each other, obviously, but are both too bashful to say it out loud and, like, don't hang out together in circumstances where they could finally express it.

Which means you have romantic tension out the wazoo through the entire series. The show does present well the pains and frustrations of unrequited feelings, jealousy, figuring out the one perfect plan that will make your loved one notice you and understand your feelings, and other side effects of being fourteen years old. The fanbase's desire for a capital-R Reveal, some Very Special Episode in which the secrets come out and everything changes, are quite likely to go unfulfilled for years (if not forever).

Payndz addressed the other major problem with the show; creator Thomas Astruc gnashes his teeth regularly on Twitter (in marvelous displays of pure French snark) over the lack of control he has over his own show. Networks air spoilers and season synopses despite his pleas to keep them under wraps, episode teasers air and he begs fans not to watch them, episodes air out of the production order and he grumbles at those who ask about it. His own teammates at Zag released concept art at one of the conventions about changes to the Miraculouses (the magic totems that make the show go): old characters with new identities, combinations of Miraculouses, swaps between the mains. Astruc responded to this as if someone had poisoned his mother even though the leaks were essentially coming from his own staff!

Near the end of Season 2, if you'd asked me when the next episode would air, I couldn't tell you. Which episode WILL be next? It's hard to tell. (Famously, a three-parter either aired or was scheduled with the second part first.) What network will it air on? Dunno. What country will it first air in? Dunno. What _language_ will it be in? Dunno. When will the episodes reach Netflix? Wait and see. Which is hellacious for anyone who wants to produce a consistent product, and is part of the reason for Astruc's migraines.

So what they came up with is nicknamed the 'mosaic' season structure. The opening and closing for a season are pretty much the only episodes whose positioning is nailed down in stone. They serve as a frame for the others, which are not true 'bottle' episodes but are meant to at least contribute elements to the overall season. There is an extremely loose continuity; certain episodes _have to_ air after other ones to make sense, but that might be 5th and 6th or 4th and 17th depending on how the flow of episode production and network demands goes. But you're supposed to be able to look at the completed season and go "wow, A and B and C and D and E all happened along the way, and F and G built on those, and now we're here" even if the actual airing order of those was A, D, E, B, F, C, G instead.

Which works fine if you're looking at it with the benefit of post-season hindsight. Not so much if you're watching episode 5 and expect things that happened in episodes 1-4 to be acknowledged or called back to, which is what the fanbase wants, which is why they scream.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As a viewer, the whole will they schtick sort of died for me in the one episode where Ladybug sends Chat Noir a voicemail to protect Marinette. Chat drat well knows who Marinette is, he knows he’s getting flexy and flirty with the quiet middle class girl from school, and she’s still rolling her eyes and gagging while he isn’t looking. This was kind of sealed it for me because it showed that Adrien likes both Marinette and “Ladybug”, but it’s not really the same energy going back. If DC Comics introduced a character who loved Bruce Wayne but thought Batman was at best kind of okay, nobody would take that relationship too seriously, even if she was also Wonder Woman. To get into why is to explain that Chat shares a Batman trope where the personality behind the mask is who he really is, and why you have to be careful not to sell yourself on the carefully crafted illusion of a person. But that’s a much longer post.

Anyway, my greater point was that there’s not a lot an All-Ages show can do portray romance between young teens aimed at children, and even the cultural “but they’re French” excuse really doesn’t help get around that with networks etc. So their relationship resetting to season 1 status isn’t exactly Spider-Man’s “One More Day” plot in the hall of bad retcons.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 18, 2019

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Craptacular! posted:

As a viewer, the whole will they schtick sort of died for me in the one episode where Ladybug sends Chat Noir a voicemail to protect Marinette. Chat drat well knows who Marinette is, he knows he’s getting flexy and flirty with the quiet middle class girl from school, and she’s still rolling her eyes and gagging while he isn’t looking. This was kind of sealed it for me because it showed that Adrien likes both Marinette and “Ladybug”, but it’s not really the same energy going back. If DC Comics introduced a character who loved Bruce Wayne but thought Batman was at best kind of okay, nobody would take that relationship too seriously, even if she was also Wonder Woman. To get into why is to explain that Chat shares a Batman trope where the personality behind the mask is who he really is, and why you have to be careful not to sell yourself on the carefully crafted illusion of a person. But that’s a much longer post.

There are those in the fandom who subscribe to the True Selves paradigm, where unless Chat fully loves Marinette anxieties-and-all he's never worthy of Ladybug, and vice versa with Marinette/Chat/Adrien. And there are those who howl at that idea and stab it with pitchforks. I tend to be among the latter.

(long-winded fanfic author warning)

Myth one to bust is that Marinette and Ladybug, and Chat and Adrien are fundamentally different people in and out of the mask. They appear different to the uneducated viewer, but once you get past the very early episodes, Ladybug is basically just Marinette peeping through a supersuit in personality, drive, moral character and passion. She's pretty down-to-earth. Adrien, on the other hand, is heavily sheltered; his public school experience is basically the first time he's been around multiple people his own age with any regularity. He plays up being Chat Noir deliberately, in part because he feels like it kind of goes with the role and image, in part because he's met this girl who blew his loving mind and he's acting in a way he imagines that a romantic, swashbuckling, sweep-her-off-her-feet guy should. And Marinette has no time for that poo poo, and he's slowly learning that, and she's slowly more receptive as he does. In one of the webisodes, she comments that if it wasn't for Adrien, she might be tempted to give Chat a shot relationship-wise.

The "if it wasn't for Adrien" phrase is key, though. These are two fourteen-year-olds who will not be dislodged from their first major crushes without a shotgun being involved. Adrien has taken two-and-a-quarter seasons to even entertain the possibility that Marinette might like-like him, let alone that he'd want her to, because he's laser-focused on Ladybug. Ladybug knows all about Chat's crush, but shrugs it off because (a) at first he might as well have been wearing a fedora, (b) she's laser-focused on Adrien as herself, and (c) even if she did have a thing for Chat, she's dead serious about the secret ID thing and feels she can't take that risk. And when she _did_ realize Chat was sincere about Ladybug, it was something of a real eye-opener for her.

Marinette and Chat just don't see each other romantically yet. There was a recent episode in which Marinette blurted out "I'm in love with you!" to Chat to help protect her identity, and it stunned him because, to him, she's a very good friend but that came out of nowhere. They reconciled as friends; each one is too focused on their crush to think otherwise. Likewise, Marinette grows on Adrien more every day; she's becoming more comfortable with him, and he's starting to give her that pink-cloud-daydream face now and then. But romance? It's only barely crossed his mind, because he has spots in his eyes.

The fanfic community is pretty intense for Miraculous because of how many plotlines and aggravations could be resolved if they'd just loving TALK to each other once in a while. So there are millions of fanfics out there in which they do.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

For me personally, I can see why the plot wouldn't progress that quickly, but it is also something I have less patience for after watching shows like Avatar that had the story move practically every episode and was consistently good for most of it.

Compared to like, Ultimate Spider-Man where the story introduced tons of characters, had lots of fights and flashy scenes but absolutely nothing seemed to happen at the same time. Then they introduced character backstories and motivations and had like a single episode to resolve it.

And then it wasn't mentioned again in favour of replacing team members or changing up the season's big bad.

Compared to that Ladybug is high drama.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
New episode premiering on Disney Channel UK today: 'Animaestro', where the villain is Thomas Astruc himself - or at least an acne-ridden cartoon version. It was going to be 'Oblivio', but the episodes were switched at the last minute for the usual :iiam: reasons.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm of two minds on the episode.

On the one hand, the Akuma was super neat and I really liked the 2D animation. On the other hand this seemed like a Kagami episode until Astruc was akumatized and like most Akumas, she would've been entirely in the right. I'm disappointed that Marinette was rewarded for her role in the episode.

Also the whole Kagami only exists to be yet another rival for Adrien thing. Makes the character extra disappointing, especially because I found her super interesting in her debut episode.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Man, when is Netflix going to get off its keyster and get the new episodes uploaded?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

Man, when is Netflix going to get off its keyster and get the new episodes uploaded?

Usually around Christmas. They wait for entire season or half season runs to be aired on the various channels before putting anything up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ha, I grinned like an idiot through the whole episode. Gee, I wonder if Astruc is working out some personal issues here? :haw: "You're slamming it and you haven't even seen it yet!" (Having Marinette praise her own creator was... weird?) Loved the :catdrugs: 2D (and super-low frame rate at times) stuff, and it was cool seeing the original demo version of the show for 'real'.

And oh hey, is that an ongoing plot arc with Gabriel and Kagami's mother? I think that's now the third time we've seen them working on some mysterious deal.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ve seen some episodes of this show and not too impressed. The characters are cute but tv cgi always s looks so cheap. However the movie coming in 2021, which is being sold as a combination of Spider-Man and Frozen, sounds like lots of fun. https://miraculousladybug.fandom.com/wiki/Miraculous:_The_Film_(tentative_name)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'll believe the movie's coming when I see it. Despite being a relatively young company, Zag already has a history of announcing projects that either get hugely delayed or never appear at all. (Miraculous was meant to have four double-length specials - Christmas, Halloween, China and New York - and so far only the Christmas special has arrived, as a regular-length episode.) They already announced a live-action movie for, er, 2019 that vanished into the ether.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Oblivio has arrived...

And we have The Reveal.

And we have A Ladrien kiss.

And we have A full-on mouth-to-mouth hands-squeezing tippy-toes with-full-permission LadyNoir kiss.

And we have all memory of all of the above washed away, of course.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really liked the different focus on the episode. It's probably my favorite episode of the show, for the same reasons why "Whatever Happened to Della Duck" from DuckTales and "Here I Go Again" for Legends are my favorites. They eschew tradition and just laser focus on a single character (or in this case, the relationship between Marinette and Adrien)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, that was a good episode. Any time a genre show revolves around memory wipes you know there's going to be a reset button, so you might as well roll with it.

It actually showcased how smart and capable Marinette really is when she isn't hampered by her crush (which has risen to stalkerish levels recently, and Tikki is clearly fed up of it) or her lack of confidence - proving Tikki just gives her her powers rather than somehow altering her personality. Seeing Adrian as he arguably should be, neither repressed by his father nor overcompensating as Cat Noir, was also an unexpected pleasure. Plus there were all kinds of cool little details thrown in as they rediscovered who they are. (And got to laugh that akumatisation is now so commonplace for Parisians that a simple "my bad" is enough to atone for terrorising the city.)

And yeah, they finally kissed each other. Awww/about goddamn time.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Pound it?

.... Pound it.

This episode was great fun throughout and definitely made up for the clip show feeling like the show regressed.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Poor Chat Noir has been kissed on the lips by Ladybug TWICE now, and doesn't remember either time happening.

The episode highlighted just how made-for-each-other Our Heroes are (in and out of costume) when they can freaking talk to each other naturally. Take away Marinette's lovesick wibbling, Adrien's family distractions, Chat's full-court press on Ladybug and Ladybug's secret identity fretting, and whammo, everything just clicks. Adrien sees Marinette for who and what she is almost instantly, and she's most definitely his type. Marinette gets to know Adrien without crush-stuttering in play, and she's not prepared for Adrien's being quite so smitten... but she's quickly receptive.

The lack of serial episode continuity, of course, is going to make people screeeeeam when the next couple of episodes are as if this one never happened. Chat has a point that's hard for Ladybug to ignore; while they don't remember the specifics, when they got to know each other all over again without their history in the way, they fell for each other almost instantly. I wonder how much, if any, Tikki retained from the experience?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Another part that killed me this episode was Master Fu's phonecall, where it basically boiled down to "Ha, you two know your true identities then?". I'd like to think that he really only told them not to tell each other to keep each other safe, rather than there being some sort of weird code or magic rule in place.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The best moment was the two of them just casually showing off their stalker photos on their phones

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The entire episode was filled with great moments.

Adrien using his Cat vision on the cardboard boxes to make his Cat Noir Mark 1 suit

Ahhhh, bug-mice!

"Do something, you're a cop!" "I am?"

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It's amazing, isn't it? They give the fanbase a taste of what they want -- Our Heroes acting and interacting intelligently, developments that cause them to view each other in a new light, a touch of Love Square progression (however temporarily), and something _different_ happening -- and the response from the fans is overwhelmingly positive even when the Reset Button gets pressed.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Silence(r) was another solid episode, and they actually made a move forward on the Marinette/Luka relationship - that wasn't reset at the end! (Now watch it not be addressed again for another 12 episodes because of the random airing order.)

Bob Ross is XY's dad? That came out of nowhere. Wonder what Jagged Stone thinks about his manager using his son to undermine his sales...

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I remember Bob Roth pushing hard for Jagged Stone to do a collab with XY, so maybe there was motive to that, besides wanting Jagged Stone to get with the times.

Good episode overall, even if this ship is probably going to lead to some awkwardness in the future.

I just hope the episode schedule is back on track and we're not waiting weeks on end for each new episode.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

PowerBeard posted:

I just hope the episode schedule is back on track and we're not waiting weeks on end for each new episode.

*monkey's paw curls a finger*

You will not wait weeks for the next Miraculous sighting, if you're in America... but it won't be a new episode.

The Disney Channel has picked up Miraculous and is airing episodes from Season 1 starting today from 2 - 3 PM EST, with Stormy Weather and The Bubbler.

(Will this lead to an actual American presence for the show and maybe some merch? Doubtful. But it's a start.)

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I would feel so bad for anyone watch this in that weird order and seeing Stormy Weather 2 after Oblivio and Silencer.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

PowerBeard posted:

I would feel so bad for anyone watch this in that weird order and seeing Stormy Weather 2 after Oblivio and Silencer.

Anyone trying to apply rhyme or reason to Miraculous episode ordering outside of the first, the last, and very few milestone episodes in the middle is playing a dangerous game.

So far, the episodes that have aired are 301 (Chameleon), 306 (Weredad), 312 (Christmaster), 317 (Stormy 2), 304 (Backwarder), 302 (Animaestro), 310 (Oblivio), 307 (Silencer). Those production codes are the best guess as to the originally intended order, but as is usual with this show, everything gets scrambled.

Now, their defense for this is that they intend the "middle" episodes to be largely interchangeable, each contributing to the season in its own way but not following any kind of serial continuity. The thing is, Stormy 2 was a disaster from that aspect! It was a clip-show episode, almost universally panned by the fandom, and those who defended it mostly claimed that it was a placeholder meant to foreshadow major changes about to happen.

And maybe that's true. But major changes, due to that lack of serial continuity, don't usually happen until near the end of a season. That makes Stormy 2's production code of 317 logical if that interpretation is true... but it also means that there are a dozen episodes or so to go that _won't_ show that promised change before the 318-and-after episodes get to air!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Well, poo poo. The view from Marinette's rooftop balcony won't be nearly as impressive now. :smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Dammit, technically a double post even though they're over two weeks apart...

Anyway, a rare double-bill of new episodes! 'Bakerix' was pure fluff with Hawk Moth on an off-day - "I'll use my powers to create a... bread-themed supervillain! Whose gimmick is that he's... kind of strong, I guess?" - but still good fun, and introduced a new member of Marinette's family. (I can't really imagine Gina falling for such a weirdo stick-in-the-mud, though. And the Channel Tunnel was opened 25 years ago, so Roland should have heard of it...)

'Oni-Chan' also felt like it should have been fun fluff, right up to the end where Gabriel effectively recruits Lila to be Adrien's [girl]friend and his own sidekick, which was kind of a bombshell that I'm sure won't be diminished by the random episode scheduling, nope. (Adrian now has four girls from the regular cast chasing after him, by the way.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm just now watching the new episodes, and I want to say everything about "Were-dad" was perfect. They actually did something interesting with the "love square" premise, Tiki got to stare into the camera like she was in the Office, and the start of the episode was great for being a glimpse at how an average episode of the show is just bizarre and terrifying when you're not a superhero.

But mostly, Cat Noir's characterization in this one made me like him a lot more. Playing up the isolation of his situation worked really well--"this is the friendliest meal I've had in a long time" went right for the heart. And heroes who just keep trying to fight no matter how many hits they take are the best.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
This season has been pretty good so far, so I pray they can stick the landing on all the stuff they are setting up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Miraculer' aired. Good episode with some proper character development for Chloe (hell, she is the first person to successfully fight off being akumatised! ) that helped reverse the rolling-back of her personality to its S1 default in earlier episodes. I was even surprised by the ending: At the start, Ladybug and Cat have agreed that Chloe can't be Queen Bee any more, but Ladybug just can't seem to find the right time to break it to her. Action, fights, Queen Bee proves herself and helps save the day... you'd expect that Ladybug relents and lets her stay part of the team, right? Nope!

It was just jarring that the heroes now know about Mayura and her 'sentimonsters' (a word never before used in the show) thanks to, as always, the mixed-up airing schedule. She was apparently supposed to reveal herself in 'Reflekdoll', but that hasn't been shown yet. :sigh: At least it followed 'Oni-Chan', otherwise we'd be wondering what the hell had happened between Lila and Gabriel! (Speaking of Lila, it was fun seeing the master manipulator being used herself without even realising it. Gabe is such an rear end in a top hat, and gleeful about it.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Payndz posted:

'Miraculer' aired. Good episode with some proper character development for Chloe (hell, she is the first person to successfully fight off being akumatised! ) that helped reverse the rolling-back of her personality to its S1 default in earlier episodes. I was even surprised by the ending: At the start, Ladybug and Cat have agreed that Chloe can't be Queen Bee any more, but Ladybug just can't seem to find the right time to break it to her. Action, fights, Queen Bee proves herself and helps save the day... you'd expect that Ladybug relents and lets her stay part of the team, right? Nope!

It was just jarring that the heroes now know about Mayura and her 'sentimonsters' (a word never before used in the show) thanks to, as always, the mixed-up airing schedule. She was apparently supposed to reveal herself in 'Reflekdoll', but that hasn't been shown yet. :sigh: At least it followed 'Oni-Chan', otherwise we'd be wondering what the hell had happened between Lila and Gabriel! (Speaking of Lila, it was fun seeing the master manipulator being used herself without even realising it. Gabe is such an rear end in a top hat, and gleeful about it.)

Yeah I wish Reflekdoll had aired first.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Solid episode, I hope they reuse Miraculer at some stage.

The end with Chloe was tough, but can see them expanding on that soon. Plus Queen Bee transformation is best transformation.

Also Nino and Alya parcour training on a date was great fun.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Miraculer had a really cool costume and power set.

I'm hopeful that Chloe's de-powering is only temporary because honestly she's my favorite character at this point.

A large part of what probably hurt this episode is that I think it probably should've come right after or at least very close to Stormy Weather 2 because that plot point makes more sense after that episode than after a gap after the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Timetagger' is excellent. Watch it totally unspoiled if you can. They threw an absolute ton of stuff into this story, and amazingly it all works. The only thing I thought was even slightly shaky was the speed at which Ladybug and co found the frozen Bunnix, and even that was just because the sheer pace of the episode meant there wasn't time to expand on it.

How much of what got revealed about the future will actually get paid off and how much was just the writers having fun with the concept remains to be seen, but amazingly they finally brought back Alix's watch - and it was a goddamn Miraculous all along! Now I'm trying to think of any other throwaway details from the early episodes that might unexpectedly make a comeback.

Poor old Gabriel, though. Not only is he reduced to akumatising Mr Pigeon over and over - I loving loved Ladybug and Cat's weary "not this poo poo again" attitude to taking him down, but at some point he's going to lose his own Miraculous and not even be Hawk Moth in the future. The cameo near the end now makes me wonder if the new villain that Jeremy Zag described as making Hawk Moth look like a baby isn't Mayura at all...

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 19, 2019