Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Google Butt posted:

So like I want to play this on PC using my xbone controller. Where do I even start? It's scary.

I got ya

https://www.akhmorning.com/resources/controller-guide/#about-this-guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Macaluso posted:

There will never be a perfect mount until I get a skateboard (this goes for WoW as well)

Edit: don't come at me with that weakass hoverboard poo poo either. I said SKATEBOARD

skateboard mount with action buttons like some other mounts have, which make you do kickflips, manuals, etc
hire me creative business unit 3

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Google Butt posted:

So like I want to play this on PC using my xbone controller. Where do I even start? It's scary.

Okay, the first thing you do, the *first*, is you go into Character Configuration - > Hotbar Settings - > Custom, then you enable both Expanded Hold Controls. One lets you access a second hotbar by double-tapping L2/R2, the other lets you hold L2 and R2 or R2 and L2 for another set of buttons. So that's more or less tripled your button real estate.

I recommend using Legacy Controls but muck around with both and see what you prefer. I also suggest enabling auto target.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Zeruel posted:

skateboard mount with action buttons like some other mounts have, which make you do kickflips, manuals, etc

Flying/swimming with the skateboard mount just summons Tony Hawk doing a non-stop 900 for you to ride on top of.

The mount description and flavor text will still indicate nobody recognizes who he is and everyone confuses him for famous skater Tony Hawk.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Skateboard would be the reward for a TWEWY crossover event. Along with *so much clothing*

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Dareon posted:

If they actually put the wind-up delivery moogle on the cash shop I would buy it instantly.
:same:

SE won't sell anything to Australians (because they won't ship here), so I literally can't get any of the 'bonus with physical item' things without going to a reseller.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hogama posted:

I helped two friend groups grind the scales for the mount, I refuse to believe there's a whistle.

Yeah. Same. Literally never seen it across at least 70-80 runs.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I just learned during arr Thancred calls a lady WoL 'darling' and flirts and there is no mod to make it so for dude WoL :mad:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

"I am freezing my nipples off. :D"

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Failboattootoot posted:

Rath ex can be solo'd by warriors apparently. Since the bar in the 2nd phase builds up by gcd use and not anything else, I've also been able to solo it as a samurai and both monk and nin would also presumably work. Reaper could not solo it since it had no attack speed buff.

I've solo'd it on DRG recently, so I imagine RPR could, too

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

No poo poo? I might have to do that for the mount then. Hmm.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

S.J. posted:

No poo poo? I might have to do that for the mount then. Hmm.

The best thing to do is just get 3 buddies and pound it out real quick. With a full unsync party, you can do it in 2 minutes. So just do that for 2 hours and everyone gets their 50 scale mount - since scales are personal loot and there's no competition.

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS

Failboattootoot posted:

It gives you 1 star riding, not max.

I think the cash shop sucks and so does all the out of game things having in game things packed in with them. But on the other hand, I don't really mind paying for them either. So it's a wash I guess.

Edit: It just chaffs. The original pitch of subscription fees back when mmo's were first kicking off is hey, we're running a large scale thing here and we need the extra money a month to cover the costs of ongoing development and infrastructure. Which at least didn't come across as unreasonable to me, a person with near 0 knowledge of the actual costs of that sort of thing. But here it's pay 80ish bucks for base game + latest expansion, pay a monthly fee, and none of that money really makes it back into ff14. Here is a cash shop where the money does make it back into ff14 and it's like no fuckers, that's what the sub fee is for! Why are you gouging me on this extra poo poo other than because you know you can and the c-suite wants more bonuses?

It's not worth getting mad about because there are several hundred more pressing and serious issues of corporate malfeasance that have lead/continue to lead to actual catastrophe and not just eye-rolls. But it is annoying regardless.

except with this game its the sub fees etc going to the c-suite and SE generally, and the cash shop all goes to CBU3 directly so if you want to actually just support these devs then the cash shop is the best way to go about it

Yapping Eevee posted:

:same:

SE won't sell anything to Australians (because they won't ship here), so I literally can't get any of the 'bonus with physical item' things without going to a reseller.

I buy it all from Booktopia. I find they're often unable to fulfil preorders on time and you have to wait, so SE seem to stuff them around too, but I've never not gotten my stuff eventually.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I just want the pizza emote

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why should the customer, who already pays the boxes and sub fees, care about the internal financing structure of SE? It doesn't make it less lovely if they divert all the profits from their very successful service game to other projects, then expect users to also buy overpriced ingame items to actually pay for said successful service game's further development.

While I also buy mogatation items occasionally, I would never rationalize it as a good thing ~because the money goes back into the game~.
:cmon:

Zeruel posted:

I just want the pizza emote
I think they never ran that promo in Europe or did they? It's going to be like the black fat chocobo, they will finally run the event here decades after the first time in NA and I'm going to miss it and oops, never gonna have that reward :(

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 26, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zeruel posted:

:hmmyes:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How does the individual dungeon loot awarded at the end of a dungeon work? I want a piece from a dungeon for glam, and if it can't roll dupes and always rolls your class it seems like it should be pretty fast.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How does the individual dungeon loot awarded at the end of a dungeon work? I want a piece from a dungeon for glam, and if it can't roll dupes and always rolls your class it seems like it should be pretty fast.

It will drop one item for your job directly into your inventory. And yes, it avoids dupes, so you should have the full set after 10 runs if you don't get anything from the treasure chests.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

well, you've got ten slots (tho i guess rings are unique?) so not that fast if you're unlucky

but yes, it'll give you a piece you don't already have in your character inventory

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bear in mind that only works for levelling dungeons. Level cap dungeons don't have automatic drops so you're at the mercy of the rng there

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Oneiros posted:

well, you've got ten slots (tho i guess rings are unique?) so not that fast if you're unlucky

but yes, it'll give you a piece you don't already have in your character inventory

Rings are unique, but you also have a weapon/shield slot, so it's still 10 runs :eng101:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cleretic posted:

If you get dragged into an Extreme by a mentor roulette (mercifully, it doesn't include Savages), chances are pretty good they can't be helped the way they want within an hour's time.

If it's Ifrit, Titan or Leviathan, or one of the 'psuedo-Extremes' like Ultima Weapon or Odin, they can probably fail forward into eventual success via Echo buffs. Anything else... well, the main thing you can teach them about is the vote abandon tool and 'use Party Finder next time'.

i find most sprouts who duty-find their way into extremes are much more capable of learning and self-improvement compared to mentors who simply unsynced all ex trials to unlock the roulette, and who gave up any semblance of human thought

frankly i think they should make mentors do ex trials synced to unlock mentor roulette to filter out the worst offenders. we know they already have the tech to check for that since the blue mage cheevos require you to be synced (and disable echo)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Tamba posted:

Rings are unique, but you also have a weapon/shield slot, so it's still 10 runs :eng101:

I thought they changed most of the PLD weapon drops to be a single item that when used gives both the sword and shield now?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

I thought they changed most of the PLD weapon drops to be a single item that when used gives both the sword and shield now?

they did but it's still 10 unique slots

Head
Torso
Legs
Feet
Hands

Earrings
Necklace
Wrists
Ring

Main/Off Hand

i forgot about the actual weapon while i was counting :negative:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

i find most sprouts who duty-find their way into extremes are much more capable of learning and self-improvement compared to mentors who simply unsynced all ex trials to unlock the roulette, and who gave up any semblance of human thought

frankly i think they should make mentors do ex trials synced to unlock mentor roulette to filter out the worst offenders. we know they already have the tech to check for that since the blue mage cheevos require you to be synced (and disable echo)

i've only had a couple of extremes that were unsalvageable when we actually put effort into it. mentors leaving the second they load in is disgusting

even in the cases where a bunch of mentors bail immediately i stick around to explain the party finder and how the duty finder probably isn't their best bet for extremes and such on english servers. if you can't even be bothered to do that then stop loving queuing for mentor roulette.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 26, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Oneiros posted:

they did but it's still 10 unique slots

Head
Torso
Legs
Feet
Hands

Earrings
Necklace
Wrists
Ring

Main/Off Hand

i forgot about the actual weapon while i was counting :negative:
I believe weapons are not among those guaranteed gear drops from leveling dungeons.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dwesa posted:

I believe weapons are not among those guaranteed gear drops from leveling dungeons.

they are

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Looking back at this tier does anyone else find it hosed up how nothing happens when you do the towers properly in 5s? It feels so weird that they just vanish without any fanfare....Mechanically it all makes sense but it just FEELS wrong you know??

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Looking back at this tier does anyone else find it hosed up how nothing happens when you do the towers properly in 5s? It feels so weird that they just vanish without any fanfare....Mechanically it all makes sense but it just FEELS wrong you know??

it should have been inverted; you have to stand in the towers to feed carby or he gets extremely grumpy and eats you

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
yeah I can confirm they are

Regy Rusty posted:

Bear in mind that only works for levelling dungeons. Level cap dungeons don't have automatic drops so you're at the mercy of the rng there
it's cool it's Ktisis Hyperborea, I want the big hat with the mask

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

At least "stand in the poison puddle or a big exploding slime will appear" has actually been used as a mechanic before.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

a cartoon duck posted:

That's not going to help, because you've forgotten what's often just as likely: that it's been loving years sometimes. If I threw you into Sophia Extreme right now, no warning, I don't think you'd do very well no matter how good you actually are, because chances are slim to none your experience was recent enough to recall usefully.

What I'd think would be the best angle, if keeping the Extremes in mentor roulette is indeed a requirement despite their unpopularity, is to have essentially separate 'Mentor' and 'Extreme Mentor' roulettes; give the Extreme Mentor roulette ten times the achievement progress or maybe their own separate rewards just to bait the hook, but somehow increase the penalties for leaving that one. Mentor Roulette keeps everything that aren't the Extremes so that it can keep being basically 'help sprouts understand basics' roulette (which is probably the more useful purpose of it all things considered), Extreme Mentor lets people who actually are prepared for 'Remember Thornmarch EX Four Years Removed Challenge' give that help.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah an animation (and maybe some trivial damage) of the baits trying and faililing to pop up would help sell the mechanic

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Dwesa posted:

While others have said otherwise now: This used to be the case. It sucked, obviously.

This was changed sometime during Shadowbringers, I believe.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Cleretic posted:

That's not going to help, because you've forgotten what's often just as likely: that it's been loving years sometimes. If I threw you into Sophia Extreme right now, no warning, I don't think you'd do very well no matter how good you actually are, because chances are slim to none your experience was recent enough to recall usefully.

What I'd think would be the best angle, if keeping the Extremes in mentor roulette is indeed a requirement despite their unpopularity, is to have essentially separate 'Mentor' and 'Extreme Mentor' roulettes; give the Extreme Mentor roulette ten times the achievement progress or maybe their own separate rewards just to bait the hook, but somehow increase the penalties for leaving that one. Mentor Roulette keeps everything that aren't the Extremes so that it can keep being basically 'help sprouts understand basics' roulette (which is probably the more useful purpose of it all things considered), Extreme Mentor lets people who actually are prepared for 'Remember Thornmarch EX Four Years Removed Challenge' give that help.

'Remember Thornmarch EX Four Years Removed Challenge' is that that the king regenerates the adds using his own health so you take all of them down as far as possible before killing one and then repeat. that's it. that's the fight.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cleretic posted:

idk i think the people that are actively choosing to be mentors, to keep being mentors, and use the mentor queue should be okay with the assumption of being somewhat knowledgeable of whatever gets thrown at them and the obligation to help people out. mentors that get angry at queueing into an instance that isn't a sleepwalk shouldn't be rewarded for their behavior, especially given all the other queues that are for those sorts of people

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oneiros posted:

'Remember Thornmarch EX Four Years Removed Challenge' is that that the king regenerates the adds using his own health so you take all of them down as far as possible before killing one and then repeat. that's it. that's the fight.

'Remember How To Herd Seven Naive Cats Through Thornmarch EX Four Years Removed' is probably more accurate for that one, yes. It's not really the mechanics or process that are overly heady for that one, it's more getting everyone to do it. Shiva would've been a better example.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oneiros posted:

The craziest part is that people queueing for it now are going in with new Thornmarch as their only experience, where the king doesn't even have any adds with him, so EX no longer even remotely resembles normal even to the degree that they're usually different.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The craziest part is that people queueing for it now are going in with new Thornmarch as their only experience, where the king doesn't even have any adds with him, so EX no longer even remotely resembles normal even to the degree that they're usually different.

yeah, nu thornmarch is, uh, interesting in that it features all the new hotness in terns of mechanics and markers (shared tank busters, really?!) and has absolutely nothing left to do with it's extreme version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
realtalk one of the best things about ffxiv is how the community treats new players with warmth and how the game's designed multiple mechanics to support it, and it frustrates me how some people feel like the effort to continue that is too much to ask of them when all they want are the mentor queue rewards. i think the first bad experience i had with the game was spending 30+ minutes queuing for some non-standard instance, having it pop, and getting told 'lol you all hosed up, try party finder next time' before they dropped group and everyone else left