Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Is anyone else finding it difficult to get directly what they want right away? I often find I'm opening one window just so I can click on something in it to open a different menu window. Or hovering over a word in an alert so I can then click on something in that tooltip to open a window. Hopefully it's just me being new to it, but it's not a great first impression of the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i'm completely lost on how to play this only a few hours in so bare with me, but so far it doesn't seem like there's much historical content? journals seem rather empty compared to the extensive missions of EU4. it makes the game kind of stagnant which vanilla Vic2 had the same issue - nothing really ever changes politically

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So before I buy this, my gaming pc is still in storage (moved in with gf and don‘t have a space for it yet), so I have to play my map games on a 2016 Mac Book Pro with an i7 chip.
Windows runs native on it (boot camp) so I don‘t have to use the usually lower performance MacOS port.

Anyone running this on similar specs?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Re: IGs, you can change their ideologies through event so there's ways that modders could mix things up even if Paradox don't want to

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Victoria was the one Paradox series that I never played before, and doing so now for the first time sure is a thing. On the surface it's less abruptly confusing than EU, but there is certainly a lot of hidden depth. The journal system has been really helpful for getting a few basic systems figured out, although just poking around the UI has been good too which is a mark of a well made UI, even if checking on your trade routes is a bit of a pain in the rear end and needs a more condensed "at a glance" list.

Right now I think I need to more fully understand the push and pull of trade, if a good is super expensive then it drags down the market for the produced goods, but if I import that material then productivity goes down. I'll have to pull some levers and see how that works out.

It's certainly going to be a game I play for a while because I made a coal mine and saw the price for coal drop which caused profitability of iron increase and my toes curled.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Hefty Leftist posted:

i'm completely lost on how to play this only a few hours in so bare with me, but so far it doesn't seem like there's much historical content? journals seem rather empty compared to the extensive missions of EU4. it makes the game kind of stagnant which vanilla Vic2 had the same issue - nothing really ever changes politically

If you mean there aren't many events with specific triggers that tell you that something akin to what happened in real history has happened in game then yes, there isn't much of that, and when it's there it's mostly flavor and it's triggered by your actions. Like if you start a Return Core diplomatic play as Ottomans VS Egypt you get a custom event describing the situation.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

JosefStalinator posted:

What on Earth?

Onyx DLC confirmed

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Give it a couple of years and you'll rapidly hit the point where you can't built things fast enough to employ all the immigrants.

yeah four years later im at 2 million people but its capped out a bit since theyre now just admiring the completely desolate landscape

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

RabidWeasel posted:

I was very impressed with how well this game ran on my garbage old PC, it's smoother than Imperator.

Is there a good way to bootstrap demand for tools without also needing other industrial products? I started out as Persia so I can't just import stuff because I don't have trade access to Europe yet.

Take the port Oman has, build shipyards & port.

Also make an iron mine, tool factory, research lathes & change PM in the furniture factory, and switch to tools on farms. You're tool demand will skyrocket.

Another Persia/diplo issue, I can't make plays in Afghanistan, Makran, etc? They're in Persia and I could have initiated plays at the beginning of the game but can't anymore, though. Relations are in the green, do I need to damage them first?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

fuf posted:

Judging from a lot of the posts in this thread it seems like a dedicated "Pop Needs" screen would have been super helpful

Something that shows clearly what pops are spending their money on and why/how/when their SOL is changing

It seems like really important info to be tucked away in tooltips

Yeah this is the one bit where the UI is somehow worse than vicky2, though at least the goods breakdown is a little better once you get to it. The trade screen is a bit of a mess but that's still technically an improvement

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

Another Persia/diplo issue, I can't make plays in Afghanistan, Makran, etc? They're in Persia and I could have initiated plays at the beginning of the game but can't anymore, though. Relations are in the green, do I need to damage them first?

Maybe you need to declare interest in the strategic region if it's a different one from you?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If a country is too friendly to you, you can't make plays against them. It's not communicated very well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If a country is too friendly to you, you can't make plays against them. It's not communicated very well.

If a country is very small and friendly, can you integrate it peacefully, or is this a game where territorial expansion means 100% war all the war time, on all war channels? Because in Stellaris, making other space nations give up and join you was always maximum fun for me.

Also my small kingdom is surrounded by half a dozen tiny states and like half of them love our dumb kingdom. Should I instead sabotage our relations to get them? I wouldn't want to do that, since the states who love us best are also major trading partners. I'm guessing making them hostile would put a damper on our trade revenue

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

^add to customs Union and one more that aren’t plays themselves. The one I can’t remember gives you some infamy

OddObserver posted:

Maybe you need to declare interest in the strategic region if it's a different one from you?

They’re in Persia with me

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Libluini posted:

If a country is very small and friendly, can you integrate it peacefully, or is this a game where territorial expansion means 100% war all the war time, on all war channels? Because in Stellaris, making other space nations give up and join you was always maximum fun for me.

Also my small kingdom is surrounded by half a dozen tiny states and like half of them love our dumb kingdom. Should I instead sabotage our relations to get them? I wouldn't want to do that, since the states who love us best are also major trading partners. I'm guessing making them hostile would put a damper on our trade revenue

You can try to get them to join your customs union or become your puppet but outright territorial expansion is going to be hostile. Either from war or the threat of it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Conversely I'm not sure why you'd want to annex a country that voluntarily is in your customs union, except maybe if you really wanted to develop some specific buildings/resources there. The people there consume things produced in your market, and your market has access to the goods produced by them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Conversely I'm not sure why you'd want to annex a country that voluntarily is in your customs union, except maybe if you really wanted to develop some specific buildings/resources there. The people there consume things produced in your market, and your market has access to the goods produced by them.

You get to use their pops for military and tax, I guess?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

FishBulbia posted:

The Balkans are a beautifully culturally diverse place

There seems to be no restrictions on what pops can move and where?

I saw 100 000 African Americans move to Wallonia in like 1850 with slavery in full effect.

I also somehow made my Congo colony have a better standard of living than Europe as I never lacked educated pops there for some reason

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

In my case I'm planning my survival: I'm playing the Kingdom of Hannover, and I'm surrounded by a lot of tiny German states that, if history runs its course, will all be swept up by Prussia. And even if I manage to stay neutral, then my nation would be surrounded on three sides by a big, potentially hostile nation.

And if German unification happens, even if I stay out, that'll make the future of our tiny country even worse. Like, Hannover in 1836 doesn't even control much of the North Sea coast: We have one port, and all other ports on the North Sea are littered across the tiny states of Oldenburg, Bremen, Hamburg and Schleswig. The three former ones especially would be a good fit culturally, it's just that they're independent city-states since time memorial.

Pylons posted:

You can try to get them to join your customs union or become your puppet but outright territorial expansion is going to be hostile. Either from war or the threat of it.

Aww, too bad. I guess stuff like the German unification is only done by events then.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

so is the game good or nah? i'm busy this week but i want to play on the weekend

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

so is the game good or nah? i'm busy this week but i want to play on the weekend

the game is good if you like spinning plates and seeing number go up and down

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

So before I buy this, my gaming pc is still in storage (moved in with gf and don‘t have a space for it yet), so I have to play my map games on a 2016 Mac Book Pro with an i7 chip.
Windows runs native on it (boot camp) so I don‘t have to use the usually lower performance MacOS port.

Anyone running this on similar specs?

I've seen a couple reports that the Mac port is pretty slow

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I'm pretty sure the game is bad. At least if you were hoping for an improved Victoria 2. All the focus is on buildings and fancy graphics, the rest seems lifeless or silly.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Played 6h so far, restarted today as Sweden after learning how to even build buildings and import/export stuff at first. What are some good things to focus on early?
Seems like as Sweden you'd want to produce a lot of wood and iron since you have bonuses for that?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Party In My Diapee posted:

I'm pretty sure the game is bad. At least if you were hoping for an improved Victoria 2. All the focus is on buildings and fancy graphics, the rest seems lifeless or silly.

really? i mean aside from the warfare changes which i'm on board with. the whole economic and political side is lifeless? imperator all over again or?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's really focused on domestic politics and economics over international if that makes sense. if you want a paradox game about industrialising a victorian nation with solid factory production gameplay loops that doesn't really care too much about the international politics and history of the era, you'll be into it. i'm not really a fan so far as i definitely preferred the more railroaded style of Vic2 with things like New Nations Mod

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 26, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TwoQuestions posted:

How the poo poo do they have mods started hours after release?!?!?

The post says that they got early access from Paradox and presumably it was enough to at least get started.

It might still be a while if their CK3 version is any indication (announced on launch, still not out) so modulate your fully automated gnomish mecha-communism hype levels accordingly.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Everything I'm seeing about this game says its got a really solid base gameplay loop and is a Good Game but some of the international politics stuff needs more work put in. Given the strong sales, I think it's reasonable to expect this will get long support legs like an EU or HOI game.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Oh man, I opened up the game and let it run in observer mode to 1860 while I had breakfast, and it's making me wish I had been playing. The UK joined the Mexican-American War on the US side opposite Mexico, Russia, and independent military dictatorship Canada. The Ango-American side won but was bled so dry that the US lost the civil war right afterwards. Now North America is split between the Canadian-Mexican alliance, the US-UK alliance, and a huge CSA with Illinois, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. And everyone hates each other.

Also I love that West Virginia still went union in this timeline.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OPAONI posted:

Everything I'm seeing about this game says its got a really solid base gameplay loop and is a Good Game but some of the international politics stuff needs more work put in. Given the strong sales, I think it's reasonable to expect this will get long support legs like an EU or HOI game.

I think some numbers tweaks are all that's really needed. The systems are there but the external and internal pressure to keep the plates spinning isn't quite high enough.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

OPAONI posted:

There is definitely an argument that V3 is less of a grand strategy game than V2 was, it's closer to something like a city builder in a lot of ways. You have so many levers to play with for your economy and so much less to do externally that I can understand why some people don't like it.

Also it's a lot more sandboxy than I was hoping, like I was not expecting much in the way of historical railroading but the amount of curated content is tiny and it doesn't seem to work out in a very satisfactory way anyway (see: Egyptian Istanbul)

With that said, it's still fun, and the economy stuff is an amazing basis to build other systems on top of, but right now the game does feel like it's almost entirely about your economy, then a bit of politics on top of that and some tiny sprinkles of other things

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Libluini posted:

In my case I'm planning my survival: I'm playing the Kingdom of Hannover, and I'm surrounded by a lot of tiny German states that, if history runs its course, will all be swept up by Prussia. And even if I manage to stay neutral, then my nation would be surrounded on three sides by a big, potentially hostile nation.

And if German unification happens, even if I stay out, that'll make the future of our tiny country even worse. Like, Hannover in 1836 doesn't even control much of the North Sea coast: We have one port, and all other ports on the North Sea are littered across the tiny states of Oldenburg, Bremen, Hamburg and Schleswig. The three former ones especially would be a good fit culturally, it's just that they're independent city-states since time memorial.

Aww, too bad. I guess stuff like the German unification is only done by events then.

I recall from the Prussia stream that it’s specifically possible to diploannex German minors as a German nation - as I recall this isn’t restricted to Prussia or Austria, other German nations can join in the fun too. I’m not sure of all the requirements but you do need a customs union and high relations among other things, and once the triggers are in place eventually they’ll ask to join up by event. Check the journal to see if the German Unification entry goes into more detail.

Edit: Here’s the dev diary on the subject, keeping in mind there may have been tweaks since it was written.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 26, 2022

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
This game feels more like Democracy 4 with an actual map this time, rather than HOI4/CK3 style wargames like Paradox usually puts out, so I can see why people are mad.

I'm still glad they went this way, there's nobody else that does the econ/political sim like Vicky 3 does, and I hope they flesh out the political and warfare systems as time goes on. The plate-spinning bits of the economy are top-end, and I'm amused by the Steam reviews saying it's a command economy because Capitalists can't build lolrandom buildings in dumb places.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Tomn posted:

I recall from the Prussia stream that it’s specifically possible to diploannex German minors as a German nation - as I recall this isn’t restricted to Prussia or Austria, other German nations can join in the fun too. I’m not sure of all the requirements but you do need a customs union and high relations among other things, and once the triggers are in place eventually they’ll ask to join up by event. Check the journal to see if the German Unification entry goes into more detail.

Edit: Here’s the dev diary on the subject, keeping in mind there may have been tweaks since it was written.

The diploannex is opaque and random enough that I think it might be buggy but am not sure. For example it seems like if a minor state is your protectorate the diploannex event doesn't fire, and even after pan-nationalism was researched none of the South German states would annex to the North German Confederation.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Game really needs another pass of events to nudge things towards historical outcomes. The systems work though but they need some polish and the AI seems timid or will get into irrelevant fights instead of having a concrete goal.
That said probably paradoxs second best release?
Edit: there should also be another path to recognition as well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also +1 on Southern cone countries being genuinely miserable.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Pylons posted:

I think some numbers tweaks are all that's really needed. The systems are there but the external and internal pressure to keep the plates spinning isn't quite high enough.

Yeah, I haven't played enough to know if it really works well, but the diplomatic play system is cool and exciting.

I also suspect that it will only shine with the Aggressive AI game rule.

TwoQuestions posted:

This game feels more like Democracy 4 with an actual map this time, rather than HOI4/CK3 style wargames like Paradox usually puts out, so I can see why people are mad.

Are people mad? I saw people not liking the war system and realizing that it's not Vicky 2.5 and really isn't comparable to any other Paradox game. The state of the game is fine. It crashed o me twice but I hope stuff like this will be quickly ironed out. In this thread, people want more railroading but I'm sure these people realize that plenty of other people demand less railroading and you can't call it an objective criticism. More stuff would be cool but in no way this game feels incomplete or barebones.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 26, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

TwoQuestions posted:

This seemed pretty clearly communicated, though. So yeah I get some people are bummed but then I don’t know why they bought the game.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would people mind reporting these two mods?
https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/51803/Any
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=529340

They basically promote Russification based genocide. This isn't a historical name pack (which I get and is fine), it's simply "Russian names for Ukraine and Belarus."

Thanks!

Back to good and cool stuff, namely this game. I barely have any idea wtf I'm doing....but man it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Anno posted:

This seemed pretty clearly communicated, though. So yeah I get some people are bummed but then I don’t know why they bought the game.

Agreed, I don't know how they could have indicated that Victoria 3 wouldn't be a wargame and that's not their main focus any harder. If you want to go a-map painting, HOI4 and CK3 are right there!