Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lol at all the supposed communists who arent atheists, sad to see it folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mandatory lesbian posted:

This is blatant Diggers erasure!!!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Imagine taking mushrooms and the next day you're like "yep, nothing weird about being alive, I totally understand all of this" lmao

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Caller, what do you know of the theory that the UFOs are aliens and the aliens are communists?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Its wild how despite being like 10 years removed from their apex the consequences of the r/atheism and Dawkins movements have still been a disaster for atheism as a whole. I still ain't gonna worship poo poo though

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

Imagine taking mushrooms and the next day you're like "yep, nothing weird about being alive, I totally understand all of this" lmao

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A good troll is one that is plausibly sincere, but yeah you're still being a bacon rear end redditor right now

For anyone sincerely into this stuff, this channel [Religion For Breakfast] is a good gateway into religious literacy in a way that takes a non-polemic/non-apologetic line of inquiry, and embedded in this video specifically is a decent primer on how these concepts are actually pretty messy. Even if it's not strictly on-topic, probably a good primer on this subject given the direction of discussion

Like I dunno, interactions between belief and marxism in just about everywhere it's implemented are infinitely more complex than "good marxists are atheists" which is a dogma that has never mapped onto reality, fyi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N2LG_pkQnU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

A good troll is one that is plausibly sincere, but yeah you're still being a bacon rear end redditor right now

For anyone sincerely into this stuff, this channel [Religion For Breakfast] is a good gateway into religious literacy in a way that takes a non-polemic/non-apologetic line of inquiry, and embedded in this video specifically is a decent primer on how these concepts are actually pretty messy. Even if it's not strictly on-topic, probably a good primer on this subject given the direction of discussion

Like I dunno, interactions between belief and marxism in just about everywhere it's implemented are infinitely more complex than "good marxists are atheists" which is a dogma that has never mapped onto reality, fyi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N2LG_pkQnU

Religious literacy is also an incredibly useful tool for upsetting the most dyed-in-the-wool libertarians.

"The Bible very specifically says that all loans should be forgiven every 7 years, and Jesus himself says you should pay your taxes" almost got me forcefully ejected from dinner with my in laws' once

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

Religious literacy is also an incredibly useful tool for upsetting the most dyed-in-the-wool libertarians.

"The Bible very specifically says that all loans should be forgiven every 7 years, and Jesus himself says you should pay your taxes" almost got me forcefully ejected from dinner with my in laws' once

I guess religious literacy isn't just an in-depth understanding of a given belief system, but is more meta than that. A decent comparison is that I am learning a language right now, but I am not studying linguistics in a broader sense.

Your actual knowledge of scripture here was useful, and in a sense more genuine than the person you were discussing those matters with, at least in how it maps onto behavior reasonably derived from christian scripture, but that's not religious literacy in the way I mean.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lol

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Given the shift in discussion I feel like I should point out that my dumb lil gag from earlier was not meant to indicate an encounter with the divine, or something approaching an NDE, or anything like that in the experiences I've been having in these sessions. I've actually been really cautious about that, because over the past few years it's become increasingly apparent to me that I really *want* those experiences, because my brain has desperately needed a break from a lifetime of crippling thanatophobia.

Where the experiences have been really surprising is how ontologically ruminant they've been. All I can seem to keep my focus on at the height of the experiences is the relational qualities between my sense of self (or what remains of it) and the spaces I'm exploring and inhabiting, which often feel like the same thing. I feel like when I'm in it, there's something about those qualities that I understand and understand implicitly, but I don't carry that knowledge outside of the trip: it's as though the cognition I experience in that space is, for lack of a better description, incompatible with my waking kit. Language-wise I've been able to trace outlines and describe shapes of these thoughts and feelings, but I just can't access them as completely.

if my sadsack agnostic biases toward feeling anything are pointing in any specific direction during these trips, it hasn't been the divine -- it's been toward the very idea of subjective experience. When I'm in it I feel like I can appreciate just how truly, mind-bogglingly, breathtakingly loving bizarre it is to be alive, to feel, and to think. I feel like if I've been given any kind of insight along this process, it's that we're right to be puzzled, and that's 100% enough for me.

typhus has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Oct 26, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

I guess religious literacy isn't just an in-depth understanding of a given belief system, but is more meta than that. A decent comparison is that I am learning a language right now, but I am not studying linguistics in a broader sense.

Your actual knowledge of scripture here was useful, and in a sense more genuine than the person you were discussing those matters with, at least in how it maps onto behavior reasonably derived from christian scripture, but that's not religious literacy in the way I mean.

Yeah, it actually look me quite a while to understand that the guy I know with a doctorate in theology that is a Christian doesn't mean that he has a "doctorate in Christianity" but literally just what it says it is: a doctorate in the study of religious history

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

Bilirubin posted:

the entire interview is excellent I have to say, the interviewer really had Chris engaged
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg0YLxT_Rbg
This is stupid but I had a chuckle when Mellon was referring to the CIA at 21:50, he says "We would translate" and then quickly corrects himself with "They would translate" in regards to Russian Intelligence.

:tinfoil:

edit: also has some interesting comments about Disclosure around the 34 min mark. Says he and :tinylue: aren't puppets

Human.Frank has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Oct 26, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

typhus posted:

Given the shift in discussion I feel like I should point out that my dumb lil gag from earlier was not meant to indicate an encounter with the divine, or something approaching an NDE, or anything like that in the experiences I've been having in these sessions. I've actually been really cautious about that, because over the past few years it's become increasingly apparent to me that I really *want* those experiences, because my brain has desperately needed a break from a lifetime of crippling thanatophobia.

Where the experiences have been really surprising is how ontologically ruminant they've been. All I can seem to keep my focus on at the height of the experiences is the relational qualities between my sense of self (or what remains of it) and the spaces I'm exploring and inhabiting, which often feel like the same thing. I feel like when I'm in it, there's something about those qualities that I understand and understand implicitly, but I don't carry that knowledge outside of the trip: it's as though the cognition I experience in that space is, for lack of a better description, incompatible with my waking kit. Language-wise I've been able to trace outlines and describe shapes of these thoughts and feelings, but I just can't access them as completely.

if my sadsack agnostic biases toward feeling anything are pointing in any specific direction during these trips, it hasn't been the divine -- it's been toward the very idea of subjective experience. When I'm in it I feel like I can appreciate just how truly, mind-bogglingly, breathtakingly loving bizarre it is to be alive, to feel, and to think. I feel like if I've been given any kind of insight along this process, it's that we're right to be puzzled, and that's 100% enough for me.

Was this from the ketamine therapy, by any chance? Because of all of this sounds very familiar (speaking as someone who is, uh, quite familiar with the substance). Especially the feeling, every time I go back to that particular realm/mode/space of consciousness, of "oh yeah...how did I ever forget this?". I feel a deep connection with my surroundings and with other people; the boundaries become incredibly porous. That's where I'm on a moderate dose, anyway. When I go towards the Hole then all bets are off.

I've gone deep down into the wells of consciousness a few times this year, sometimes a lot further than I meant to/desired, though it was always welcome in the end. Some of it has been heavily inflected by this thread. I jotted something down in my journal about one time, I'll see if I can dig it out when I get off work

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Have you ever done 3.5g or better mushrooms? One strong tab or two middling tabs of acid?

It's not common to have that experience without experiencing at least briefly the Oneness of all things. Religion derives therefrom. The psychedelic trip is not the only way to achieve this transpersonal experience but it is the quickest way.

Unrelated: All the researchers and YouTube parapsychologists and HighStrangeness, /r/afterlife, and /r/experiencers people I'm reading and listening to regularly all have glowing things to say about past life regression. I'm not sold but figured it wouldn't do any harm to have a firsthand experience so I did a lookup and called the nearest PLR hypnotist. Five hundred loving dollars??!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Found it! I know that trip chat can be pretty boring for a lot of people, so feel free to skip over this if, uh, you're one of those people

quote:

Accidentally tripped my tits off last night.

Thought the new stuff was bunk so took more than was ultimately advisable. Did not expect or intend that. The beats of the DnB I was listening to slowed, the gaps between them widened, until I slipped between them entirely. Out of space & time entirely.

I was pure consciousness. I was the only consciousness, playing and growing and shrinking and turning myself in and out and round and round, all people (my human self included) merely thoughts, puppets to entertain me. Because it is so dull and lonely being everything there is and the only person there is in existence (which is also Me).

I saw things I can't describe, went to places I can't name. I was showered (I showered myself) in glittering, golden healing light; I was doused (I doused myself) in dull, red, viscous horror. I met things that were like dragons, and things that were like octopuses, and entities I have no frame of reference for.

I zoomed back in from the realm of consciousness back to the Earth; then the country; then the city; then the flat; and there, as I was looking straight down through the ceiling, was my body, my puppet, slumped in its seat. And then I was back. And ringing in my mind was a message, quite clear, in a voice that was and was not my own:

'Why do you keep trying to come back here when you were here before and will be here again? You chose to be a human, go and actually bloody well pay attention & DO IT'

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Unrelated: All the researchers and YouTube parapsychologists and HighStrangeness, /r/afterlife, and /r/experiencers people I'm reading and listening to regularly all have glowing things to say about past life regression. I'm not sold but figured it wouldn't do any harm to have a firsthand experience so I did a lookup and called the nearest PLR hypnotist. Five hundred loving dollars??!

Yikes.

Honestly that sets off my scam alarm somethin' rotten

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Oct 26, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The $500 gets you a single 1.5hr session by the way. Yikes

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

this friday/monday's uap congress report better not be a flop. jrooti needs to be exposed.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i'm curious whether they'll do a friday dump to try and bury it, or if they drop it monday morning for max drama

i guess what happens friday afternoon will be telling either way

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I feel like dumping UFO news on Halloween is taking the drama to 110%, so here's hoping!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

there sure are a lot of goofballs on twitter who are absolutely convinced that everything any crank ever believed about UFOs is going to be revealed in that report. lol.

it's gonna be more like "yea we're still seeing weird stuff. we need to watch more. we'll give you more details in a classified briefing"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A NEW NEIL HAS ENTERED

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

also: "we're going to need a larger budget to really get this done properly"

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The $500 gets you a single 1.5hr session by the way. Yikes

I have a feeling it will.also reveal you were some famous person

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I want to read more past life regressions where the person was all hosed up and evil. No one ever says they were Nero Caligula or Leopold II

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 18:18 on Oct 26, 2022

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I want to read more past life regressions where the person was all hosed up and evil. No one ever says they were Nero Caligula or Leopold II
IIRC one of the regressions in Michael Newton's Souls books is a woman who was a big bad marauding raping viking man

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've heard more than one where they were a bad person but I think exactly never a famous bad person. Whereas there's many more people who used to be Cleopatra than there are Cleopatras

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

bad enough to still be here each and every one

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Was this from the ketamine therapy, by any chance?

Yeah. It started off slowly and gently, but yesterday was infusion #5 and the first time I felt like I really scraped at the ineffable. I don't think I've fully k-holed yet but god drat if it doesn't feel like I'm close. And your journal entry sounds extremely familiar (and thanks for sharing!); the only major difference is that I've not yet encountered anything that feels like an other in any capacity. I'm not conjuring visions of people or animals or anything: it's just me, myself, and an all-encompassing geometry of thought and being. I loving love it. Best gift I've ever given myself.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

500 for one session is kinda crazy just because i straight up do not believe the average person can enter a guided trance and stay in it from day one that poo poo takes practice

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I can't believe an obvious conman is ripping people off! I'm going to tell my reiki therapist all about this!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
If they charged more reasonably they could've actually ripped me off. Huge L frankly

I want to try it and see if it's bunk. I mean regardless of its truth I'm going to be talking to my subconscious in some capacity which is itself worth the (a reasonable) price of admission assuming that trance and/or meditative states enable that communication which I think is highly well evidenced

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Apparently hypnotherapy may be covered by insurance so you could just go to a licensed hypnotherapist instead of some psycho conman and save some green

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Its wild how despite being like 10 years removed from their apex the consequences of the r/atheism and Dawkins movements have still been a disaster for atheism as a whole. I still ain't gonna worship poo poo though

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Kind of you to assume I have health insurance. But actually my therapist can probably make some useful recommendations now that you mention it. Definitely gonna ask cheers for the idea

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I've heard more than one where they were a bad person but I think exactly never a famous bad person. Whereas there's many more people who used to be Cleopatra than there are Cleopatras

maybe u escape samsara by being a pos

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Remember that episode of the Animatrix where the one guy was breaking out of the matrix because he was so good at running? It’s pretty much like that. You just gotta hit level cap at <whatever> then you can spec into a different plane of reality.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Sextro posted:

Remember that episode of the Animatrix where the one guy was breaking out of the matrix because he was so good at running? It’s pretty much like that. You just gotta hit level cap at <whatever> then you can spec into a different plane of reality.

this is why so many chaos magicians major in masturbation

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ah, the 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea i was like this in my mid-20’s too, you’ll grow out of it