Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hixson posted:

Hell yeah dude, good choice. Sevatar is a blender. Stick him in an assault transport with pretty much anything and you have a solid core for your list.

Out of the legion unique units Raptors are the best imo. Unfortunately Contekar compete for the same role and Raptors are just better at it. I like to give them nostroman chainblades for high volume shredding ap3. They do get very expensive though.

Terror squads are nice if you give them a bunch of rotor cannons. Night Lords excel at pinning and fighting pinned things. Go crazy

Thanks for the input. I've already backed off Contenkar a little because they don't seem like they're great against other Terminators. Infantry, sure, but as you say I've already got guys who can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Getting deeper into the lore, wow Magnus really did nothing wrong

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yep. I haven't read a ton the BL stuff, but Magnus and his sons are one of the more tragic story archs

Their relative power, along with legions like the Iron Hands, makes it clear why Horus had them targeted for being removed from the war as quickly as possible

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

As an Iron Hands player...

:negative:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's cool, you can collect your entire legion in like two boxes. Feel bad for ultramarines.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Finally played for the first time today. My god the Mhara Gal was disgusting, he blew up a double fist contemptor in one charge.

If a unit has Chosen Warriors but no leader like Gal Vorbak, do you just elect one model to accept a challenge?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

War and Pieces posted:

Getting deeper into the lore, wow Magnus really did nothing wrong

Magnus was blinded by hubris, consorted with demons, and and generally was a sketchy little poo poo. Magnus did plenty wrong, it's just that Big E and Horus are worse.

EDIT: There's a conversation between Vulkan and Magnus in the latest Siege of Terra novel which rips apart Magnus's victim complex, this was posted in the Black Library thread:

Shroud posted:

These are from a conversation in the Webway, in the moments between physical blows

Magnus: “What do I have to justify? Each time I was attacked, I defended myself. Each time they tried to silence me, I made sure to speak out. The Imperium lavished punishments upon my Legion, draping its hypocrisy over us as a funeral shroud. We fought back”

Vulkan: “Look at the horrors your side has unleashed upon Terra. The massacres, the mutations. Magnus, you are taking part in the extinction of your species… You cannot truly think you have done nothing wrong. Even you, brother. Even you, in your arrogance, cannot believe this is justified.”

Magnus, using Lorgar's arguments: “Necessity justifies all. And this is necessary. Without this primeval force, without this Chaos, there will be stagnation. Ignorance instead of illumination. Existence instead of life. I did not write the laws of our universe, brother. I take no joy in the truth of reality. But I won’t hide from it.”

Vulkan: “Necessary according to whom? The alien god that exalted you and now demands you commit genocide?”

Vulkan: “Russ was lied to by Horus, deceived into attacking.”

Magnus: “I know. It changes nothing”

Vulkan: “But it should. You, who value truth so highly, willingly align yourself with the one that engineered Prospero’s death. And when the Space Wolves fleet arrived in your sky, what did you do, Magnus? Did you try to enlighten Russ? Did you use your power to prevent the assault? Or did your belief in your own persecution leave you assuming the worst of the Emperor’s intentions? All witness accounts say you languished in your tower, welcoming the destruction as your penance, until you decided to fight in the final hours, when it was far too late to stop the massacre.
Why would the Emperor order you and your entire Legion dead? Did you not stop to wonder at the scale of this misunderstanding?”

Magnus: “But how was I to know? He refused to tell me of His grand plan. If He had told me…”

Vulkan: “Again, you see the worst in all others, absolving yourself of blame. Why did you need to know of the Great Work? You were warned not to toy with the warp. We all were. But you couldn’t resist. You believed that you knew more, that you knew best. And why is it that you alone lament being kept unapprised of father’s plans? Why is Sanguinius not enraged that he never knew of the Webway Project? Why am I not enraged that I was kept ignorant of it? Why did you need to know?”

Magnus: “Had I known the truth, I would never have… done what I did. Father should have told me.”

Vulkan, laughing in disbelief: “How could father have predicted you would defy His one command? Not only did you use the warp against His orders, you fuelled your psychic warning with human sacrifice. How could any of us have known you were capable of such barbarity?”

Long passage:

“Here,’ said the Magnus of Now, watching the Magnus of Then. ‘Here is where I made my choice. You saw the Emperor make His final offer to me. You heard Him promise me a new Legion, if I would only forsake Horus and come back to you all. A matter of mere weeks ago, brother. Will you tell me you’ve forgotten it?’

Vulkan sighed. He seemed suddenly weary. ‘That is not what transpired here, Magnus. The last unstained shard of your soul burst into the Throne Room and begged to be saved. With a heavy heart, father refused you. That is what I saw. That is what happened.’

Magnus’ laughter was blunt, practically a derisive bark. ‘And you say I’m the one who has been deceived?’

Vulkan was too tired to rise to the bait. He met derision with solemnity. ‘This thing that runs through you, this chaotic force you proclaim as freedom, is not a disease to be caught on contact. It is the layer of emotion behind reality, a poison that has achieved near sentience. It makes its prey into willing victims in their own damnation. You are riven by it, Magnus. Hollowed out by it. And it was already in your Legion, in your sons’ blood and genetic code, in the form of the Flesh Change. And when you dealt with the Pantheon, believing you had cured your children, all you really achieved was a deepening of the taint, hiding it from sight, delaying the inevitable. This thing, this force, cannot be cured, Magnus. You cannot pray it away once the rot sets in. Once you are on the Path… your fate is sealed.’

‘Wait, Vulkan. Wait. How can this be? How do you know all of this?’

In the silence that reigned in the wake of those words, the Throne Room began to fade. Golden mist hazed its way around them, revealing patches of wraithbone architecture.

Vulkan was relentless, his voice growing firmer. ‘How could the Emperor ever trust you now? Why would He offer you a new Legion, let alone a place at His side? You dreamed up your own redemption, just to give yourself something to rage against. Because you need to feel as though you are the one choosing, not having the choices made for you. The creature that exalted you will never let you see the chains that bind[…]”

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 23, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pinwiz11 posted:

As an Iron Hands player...

:negative:

I know your pain

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Magnus did EVERYTHING wrong, and is too arrogant to admit it. Kid has a victim complex a mile wide.

Hell, when he is forced to face the reality that Horus was the one who orchestrated The Burning of Prospero, he just cries even more about how it was still Dad’s fault, and Russ is a meanie, etc. etc.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Broken Record Talk posted:

Magnus did EVERYTHING wrong, and is too arrogant to admit it. Kid has a victim complex a mile wide.

Hell, when he is forced to face the reality that Horus was the one who orchestrated The Burning of Prospero, he just cries even more about how it was still Dad’s fault, and Russ is a meanie, etc. etc.
It IS dad's fault and Russ IS a meanie

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

War and Pieces posted:

It IS dad's fault and Russ IS a meanie

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

That was a good point though how did Vulkan know all that. I'm going to guess perpetual bullshit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

That was a good point though how did Vulkan know all that. I'm going to guess perpetual bullshit.

The implication is that he's being partially controlled by the Emperor, and that's who Magnus is really having the conversation with.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I broke out a Knight army for the first time this past Saturday. Not nearly as OP as in first. It turned out 3 hours in that our IW player was doing Haywire wrong, which would have helped to know, but it was a good time all round.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
yeah knights are quite tame this edition, a dread will eat one for lunch :cool:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Okay.... serious question. How do you, or did you, pick which legion or army to play?

I cannot decide for the life of me. I honestly can't. I have the starter and I specifically bought a nice 3d printer for this game. I adore the setting, love the game and was a rabid 40k player for years.
I can't pick and it's driving me insane. I have tickets for the LVO 30k event and need to get my rear end in gear painting and all that.

I always loved Imperial Fist and want to do the reverse colour scheme. The new paints available now vs last time I did a yellow army would make it so much easier!! Yellow shoulder pads and heads with black armor?
That's hot!!
Then I see the rules. Wtf..... how did that legion rule get through??
I don't want to be "that guy" playing them but I've always loved them as well

Okay, Iron Warriors have my favorite black library novel so I'd be good with them. They look, potentially, strong. Evil with lots of shooting

Deathguard have a cool paint scheme. Line em up, march up the field playstyle

Word Bearers?? The true villains of the whole horus heresy and I get to do script and poo poo all over the models??? That's bad rear end sounding!!

But am I playing for fun/ theme or moreso trying to win more matches then I potentionaly lose if all things otherwise are equal? And if so, am I better off taking a specific legion?
I don't want to be that douche bag player but i also don't want to handicap myself either too much if I can avoid it

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I painted the Betrayal at Calth game in order to play it with painted figures, so that made my decision for me and it means my legions are Ultramarines and Word Bearers :v:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I went with Alpha Legion because I don't know what's going on, so why should my opponent?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
During 1.0 I was chasing the things I always wanted when I was into 40k: a traitor legion, the imperial army, the dark mechanicum.

For 2.0 I wanted something totally fresh, so I picked a legion few people played that I could take into an interesting direction. WS have been a fun ride because they're a total break from what I was doing before. From gameplay, to color scheme, to theme.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

But am I playing for fun/ theme or moreso trying to win more matches then I potentionaly lose if all things otherwise are equal? And if so, am I better off taking a specific legion?
I don't want to be that douche bag player but i also don't want to handicap myself either too much if I can avoid it

The most important things: play something you think is cool, something your painting skills will let you achieve to a level you like, and with rules that let you play how you like.

Forget about tier lists. Heresy is way less WAACY than 40k and the balance is generally a lot tighter, especially in the early meta, so you're neither gimping yourself nor becoming 'that guy' by simply picking an army. How you play that army, how harsh you make it, and how far from the background you go are the factors that distinguish 'strong list, but cool dude, fun fluffy army' vs 'half painted dickhead who thinks this is 40k'.

All the legions you listed can field some harsh poo poo. You don't have to do that though. There's just not that kind of pressure... and if you want to kick dicks with your friends, there's a time and place where you'll agree to take the gloves off.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I picked Death Guard because they're easy to paint and made them Loyalists because I wanted Loyalists.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh... and if you really can't decide between two... do both! Allies are totally a valid way to play the game and a fun way to mix up your army

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I always loved Imperial Fist and want to do the reverse colour scheme. The new paints available now vs last time I did a yellow army would make it so much easier!! Yellow shoulder pads and heads with black armor?
That's hot!!
Then I see the rules. Wtf..... how did that legion rule get through??
I don't want to be "that guy" playing them but I've always loved them as well

Play Imperial Fists

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You'll spend much more time painting your dudes than pushing them around.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Collect what you want to paint. Look at the armies and see if they work well with the units you want to take. As in, don't collect Scars if you hate assembling and painting bikes. Love tanks? Iron Nouns.

No army in 30k, despite wailing and crying, is actually bad or impossible to win with. The armies released so far are solid.

This is very Something Awful 30k Players That Go To LVO specific, but a 1250pt Zone Mortalis force is very small and easy to rattle out. If you don't enjoy the paint scheme or play style, move on to another one.

I've never not enjoyed a game of 30k, even when losing hard. It's always fun (imo) because of the attitude of the players. It's a slightly janky future historical.

The objectively correct answer is Traitor Ultramarines Pride of the Legion with two units of Fulmentarus or a Fury of the Ancients list.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I started with World Eaters, and was ultimately defeated by having to paint a ton of white. I definitely think that you should pick an army totally based on the fluff/appearance. If you get too caught up in what's the best at winning games you will just end up with an experience as empty as playing 40k competitively.

TTerrible posted:

No army in 30k, despite wailing and crying, is actually bad or impossible to win with. The armies released so far are solid.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Okay.... serious question. How do you, or did you, pick which legion or army to play?

I love Iron Warriors thematically, so it was a no brainer for me. Until I already had my HQs, dread, and a few troops and Tyrants painted, at which point it was too late to back out of the second most miserable painting experience in 30k (behind Fists; I actually find white pretty easy, so WS and WE are fine).

Haven't quite figured out a way forward yet.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh... and if you really can't decide between two... do both! Allies are totally a valid way to play the game and a fun way to mix up your army

This. My current goal is to supplement my Iron Hands with an allied detachment of Emperor's Children and call the army list "Foreshadowing". It'll be fun!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I picked Ultras because I've been playing Ultras since the 1990s.

Then in 2nd I did up Knights because I've always wanted to and Death Guard for their trench/artillery feel.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Emperor's Children are such a great heel faction, and they're surprisingly relatable in non-obvious ways.

Preternaturally elite swordsmen, psycho noise marines, and (eventually) sexxy lobster lady daemons? A primarch who's a perfect boob snake? Cool dice from Forgeworld! Resplendent terminators!
:circlefap::krad: :circlefap:

Read up on factions until something speaks to you. They're all great, but one is going to speak to you.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I definitely think that you should pick an army totally based on the fluff/appearance.

But they all look good!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I went with Night Lords because of Aaron Dembski-Bowden's trilogy. :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cessna posted:

But they all look good!

:unsmith: Yeah...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Dark Angels were the first Space Marine legion I played when I started the game. The codex was new and the "Marine in Robes" look was like cat-nip to me. They were poorly painted, but taught me a poo poo ton about painting and modeling.

I sold them ages ago in a low point in my life. Now that 30k is accessible, it felt a bit nostalgic to come home to the Dork Angles in the end. It helps that the robed look is still fantastic.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

For me, coming from games like Bolt Action, I've found focusing an army/legion on a specific event helps both keep me focused and help build out a thematic force. I was originally thinking of doing White Scars themed around them doing sick wheelies over the Lion's Gate Spaceport during the Siege of Terra, for example.

But I love the doomed heroics of Istvaan III more so I went with loyalist Emperor's Children. I'm also working on a very small allied detachment of some Luna Wolves that have thrown away the whole Sons of Horus name on account of the virus bombing. Trying to give them a chipping away white paint scheme but with the SoH green underneath is a fun experiment, too.

Edit: might as well post some recently completed minis

Commissar Canuck fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 27, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Liber Imperium is coming out soon, right? The road map had it pegged for October and the month's almost over.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Siivola posted:

Liber Imperium is coming out soon, right? The road map had it pegged for October and the month's almost over.

Supposedly. GW haven't had a great record with books being on time lately though. The contents page has leaked and it looks fun. Sisters of Silence have been expanded a fair bit.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

TTerrible posted:

Supposedly. GW haven't had a great record with books being on time lately though. The contents page has leaked and it looks fun. Sisters of Silence have been expanded a fair bit.

That's surprising - I would have thought that GW would shrink the Sisters list down to the models in production. I'm excited to see what all of these squads end up being, even if the naming convention is starting to edge into modern 40k Primaris vibes (Sanctioner, Prosecutor, Expurgator).

Back in the day I started an Alpha Legion kill team because Coal Black and Heresy parts started existing and I could never get them looking right back in the 3.5 days. Some more secondhand resin and the release of Calth later, gently caress I guess I play Heresy now.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BirdieBedtime posted:

That's surprising - I would have thought that GW would shrink the Sisters list down to the models in production. I'm excited to see what all of these squads end up being, even if the naming convention is starting to edge into modern 40k Primaris vibes (Sanctioner, Prosecutor, Expurgator).

Definitely a surprise. I'll be pretty pleased if they can be an army on their own with the new bits. 30k needs more humans.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They had a pretty big list in HH1, I'd love to see them get all their weird crap back along with an identity outside the custodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I could easily be tempted to start a Sisters of Silence army.