Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

KoRMaK posted:

surely they could get the man a longer stick

It’s looks like it’s from China so a longer stick of as probably never considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

that is so loving unsafe holy poo poo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Electron beams are used to treat some skin cancers.

Patients feel nothing during the procedure.

Yeah but that isn't a medical unit is it

It's putting out enough energy to turn the air blue from ripping the molecules apart, I wouldn't want to go near it

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

For Halloween this Year, I'm an Edmonton Cracked Concrete Pillar! Just wanted to show my... "SUPPORT"!

context: https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/cracks-found-in-21-valley-line-lrt-concrete-piers-transed

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
I guess it is too late to dress up as a truss for support, so that'll have to do.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LanceHunter posted:

Every time there’s a video of someone felling a tree on here, it’s a coin-flip on if the video is going to be a truly horrifying mistake or the coolest shot you’ll see all day.

Yeah, they missed that shelter, they're going to have to try again with another tree.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

But what if it had that 90s party atmosphere so it was more fun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X8n3toIPyg
Imgur won't let me vid2gif this but gently caress it, I spent 2 minutes going "I wonder if this would work" and it kind of does.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Time to go wild, deck that machine with lights and disco balls then install a wet bar.
Let everyone know that the Excesscavator is where the party is at!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

repiv posted:

Yeah but that isn't a medical unit is it

It's putting out enough energy to turn the air blue from ripping the molecules apart, I wouldn't want to go near it

I mean sure, there’s a reason that the medical procedure last minutes, but I expect that if you felt anything immediately, it would be heating.

The widespread necrosis takes time to manifest.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can read the Therac-25 reports to find out what it feels like to be hit with an electron beam with "ionize the air" sort of power.

quote:

The patient had been through a number of these sessions already, and knew they shouldn't feel a thing. The first time the technician activated the beam, however, he felt a burning sensation, which he later described like "hot coffee" being poured on his back. Without any intercom to call for help, he started to get off the treatment table. He was still extricating himself, screaming for help, when the technician unpaused the beam, at which point he felt something like a massive electric shock.

Fun

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sagebrush posted:

You can read the Therac-25 reports to find out what it feels like to be hit with an electron beam with "ionize the air" sort of power.

Fun

quote:

Previous models had hardware interlocks to prevent such faults, but the Therac-25 had removed them, depending instead on software checks for safety.

I worked with two TL vial fillers built in the 70's and one built by Bosch in 2012 and I would always take the fully manual ones over the computer-automated one any fuckin day, and poo poo like this is why.

I don't want a computer overriding me at every step when the reservoir is full of cytotoxic chemo drugs, antibiotics, botulism or opiates tbqh. E-stops are last-resort, not, "well it's acting funny."

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 26, 2022

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

I worked with two TL vial fillers built in the 70's and one built by Bosch in 2012 and I would always take the fully manual ones over the computer-automated one any fuckin day, and poo poo like this is why.

I don't want a computer overriding me at every step when the reservoir is full of cytotoxic chemo drugs, antibiotics, botulism or opiates tbqh. E-stops are last-resort, not, "well it's acting funny."
Working in automation, one can really see the disregard we have for skilled work performed by an alert but not stressed person. There's nothing that can emulate it out there currently, and sometimes the laser focus on automation gets in the way of people being able to do their essential jobs correctly, even if there are cost savings.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

But just imagine how many man hours of labour were saved by not optimising the UI or implementing cogent error messages or thoroughly testing the code, not to mention the savings from not using hardware safeties!
Why are you against progress!?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

By popular demand posted:

But just imagine how many man hours of labour were saved by not optimising the UI or implementing cogent error messages or thoroughly testing the code, not to mention the savings from not using hardware safeties!
Why are you against progress!?

one of the reasons I really like the Panasonic CM600-series chipmounters I work on currently (ours were built around 99 and installed in 2000) is because everything is a hardware safety. Tape bunched up and pushed the feeder 1mm out of position? Red light, alarm, machine shuts down. Bumped the cover up a bit too hard on accident? Red light, alarm, machine shuts down. You literally have to override like 3 or 4 hardware switches to make them do something imminently dangerous, and the #1 point of safety training on those machines is, "don't touch this switch on the front of the machine ever - nor will you need to!" The rest are buried and only maint can physically get to them in any way that doesn't sound an alarm, anyway.

Jared Fogle
Oct 21, 2022
Three pages about this radiation thing again.

I think one of the scariest things about being on here, SA, is just the same topics again and again, for decades now.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jared Fogle posted:

Three pages about this radiation thing again.

I think one of the scariest things about being on here, SA, is just the same topics again and again, for decades now.

How would you know, you joined 5 days ago :confused:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cool child rapist username and avatar.

This thread has 68,000 posts on the same topic. Some are going to be duplicates.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Which permabanned poster are you?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Class photo from bottom of a pool.
They are of course professional divers.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

https://i.imgur.com/uE3LHFs.mp4

Jared Fogle
Oct 21, 2022

Xakura posted:

Says Mr 2019

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Xakura posted:

Once the account gets too old he gets a new one

Jared Fogle
Oct 21, 2022
Hope this hasnt been posted already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8lSVveWB-I

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mr. Nice! posted:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Late on this, but are most flammable gasses this heavy (I assume that’s why they stay low)?

Not all. most of the components of gasoline after vaporizing are. Butane, used as a component of winter fuel, boils at 0*c and is ~2 times heavier than air. At room temp, you can fill a cup with butane and light it. You shouldn't, but It's physically possible. Hydrogen on the other hand is much lighter than air, and still extremely flammable.

In the Alberta oilfield, everybody is specifically trained to deal with H2S, which because it's heavier than air settles in low areas on sour gas sites, and on top of being flammable, knocks you out instantly at 1,000 parts per million. If you're on a sour site(meaning H2S is present in the natural gas coming out or expected to come out of the well on site, and you see someone collapse, you yell "man down" and run away, and don't go back in until you have a SCBA on, because if you panic and run towards them, there are now 2 people dying on the ground.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

that is so loving unsafe holy poo poo.

Doesn't seem that bad to me. Other than doing the whole thing with the cab door open and no seat belt.

The dollys have ridges to keep the tracks from sliding. If the operator is paying attention he can work the swing like a fifth wheel for turns and lane changes but it looks like they're just heading down the road. The load probably isn't even that high for eight tires on the back and a dump truck.

Probably safer than walking it onto a low boy without side boards (they never have the side boards) for a short trip.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Guyver posted:

Doesn't seem that bad to me. Other than doing the whole thing with the cab door open and no seat belt.

The dollys have ridges to keep the tracks from sliding. If the operator is paying attention he can work the swing like a fifth wheel for turns and lane changes but it looks like they're just heading down the road. The load probably isn't even that high for eight tires on the back and a dump truck.

Probably safer than walking it onto a low boy without side boards (they never have the side boards) for a short trip.

just seen so many videos from there of truck wheels rolling unattended into cars. could see the whole setup getting away from them.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

later losers

e:

BasicLich posted:

later shitlords

gently caress

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Once the account gets too old he gets a new one

lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was "still on probation for two days on his main account poster" Greg of Doom

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Python swallows woman at plantation in Indonesia

quote:

Body of 54-year-old worker found in stomach of 7-metre snake on island of Sumatra
“When the security team and residents conducted a search around the rubber plantation, then we found a python 7 metres long. It is this snake that is suspected of preying on the victim. After we caught him, we found the victim’s body in the snake’s stomach,” the local police chief, AKP S Harefa, told the Detik news site.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/26/python-swallows-woman-at-plantation-in-indonesia

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Heavy Metal Skitching!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here's some more indepth info about the Therac 25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap0orGCiou8

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

How do you even catch that monster? An enormous grabbing arm?

emf
Aug 1, 2002

That was so drat satisfying to watch.

edit: timestamp 3:14 for noted klutz Linus temping fate to deliver a severed femoral artery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rDex2Itb8o&t=194s

emf fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 26, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

By popular demand posted:

How do you even catch that monster? An enormous grabbing arm?

After consuming anything, especially that large, my understanding is that they’re almost comatose for awhile.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

After consuming anything, especially that large, my understanding is that they’re almost comatose for awhile.

Hell, I'd probably need a nap too.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://youtu.be/2d3NlAGUMgo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

You can get 10 smaller tritium vials on AliExpress for less than $16 shipped: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804550432307.html nevermind, those say "not tritium" in fine print and the ones I got are no longer listed. Shop around though because there's some deals to be found.

They are actually very OSHA in my house, because I have coin-battery powered wireless dimmers on the walls (my lights were pull switch only, with no wall switch wiring, so I changed them to wireless smart bulb) and these let me always spot them when I come in at night.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

MrQwerty posted:

We lost a millwright at UOP Honeywell from a software malfunction on a muller that was supposedly fully locked out. A dump door underneath it suddenly triggered and opened, and its hydraulic arm swung back to compress the chest of the millwright standing in the way to about 3 inches deep.

After the investigation we were given big welded braces to put on the arm when LO/TO work was being done on it. When I asked “did they fix the software” I was told Honeywell’s position was that there was nothing wrong with the software and the millwright must have done something wrong.

I never found out how the family’s lawsuit turned out. I was laid off there a year later.