Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh, that sounds worse.
Only that the 'people whose opinions aren't supposed to matter' are a few tens of thousands of turbo racists and probably people who shouldn't be voting anyway, because the Conservative Party takes election security seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Nationals leader David Littleproud and (also Nat) shadow infrastructure minister Bridget McKenzie. Labor is cutting "rorts and waste" by axing a bunch of Morrison's grants in which a large amount went to Nationals seats.

Le Lievre:

Based on Tom Roberts' Shearing the Rams.

Wilcox has a bunch of budget cartoons:

Wage growth won't rise to meet inflation until at least next year.

Warren Brown:

Lethbridge:

Spooner:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So the Russia collusion is just like this other fake thing?

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
After the Fetterman/Oz debate earlier, I expect the attacks on Fetterman to get even more nasty.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JamesBont posted:

After the Fetterman/Oz debate earlier, I expect the attacks on Fetterman to get even more nasty.
He was slurring and mispronouncing his words and seemed to get confused a few times. Clearly still recovering from his stroke and should have been allowed to take more time off. Republicans are really not holding back about making fun of someone for having a stroke, though. Like not even pretending anymore, however thin that was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Too many squiggles, too many words.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

If you're not in the know about the authors lovely opinions, this'd just be a straight up AGC.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Renting half a bed was very common for working class people in cities in the 1800s. Wages were terrible and rooms were expensive.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Renting half a bed was very common for working class people in cities in the 1800s. Wages were terrible and rooms were expensive.

Make America great again

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mordaedil posted:

If you're not in the know about the authors lovely opinions, this'd just be a straight up AGC.

Yeah, this is Assay levels of "Wait, we're supposed to hate this person?"

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: The Difference between Doing Nothing and Barely Anything

Ted Rall posted:

Like many of his initiatives, President Biden’s action on high gas prices is almost 100% symbolic. It will have no significant impact at the pump. You could argue that it’s better than doing nothing, but arithmetic says something else.

First Dog on the Moon: A sensible budget or a fiscal punch in the whatsie to everyone doing it tough - or both?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: The Difference between Doing Nothing and Barely Anything

Hrm… So what action does Rall think that Biden should take that would be effective? Invade Saudi Arabia and seize the oil fields? Bold of Rall, nearly 20 years after the invasion of Iraq, to now advocate a “blood for oil” policy position.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

LanceHunter posted:

Hrm… So what action does Rall think that Biden should take that would be effective? Invade Saudi Arabia and seize the oil fields? Bold of Rall, nearly 20 years after the invasion of Iraq, to now advocate a “blood for oil” policy position.

The Rallian answer is 'make peace with Russia' :retrogames:

bartok
May 10, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I mean no because the implication is being a transgender person is the same as blackface. Whether the cartoonist is a wife beating drunk or not seems pretty irrelevant to this lovely hateful cartoon.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bartok posted:

I mean no because the implication is being a transgender person is the same as blackface. Whether the cartoonist is a wife beating drunk or not seems pretty irrelevant to this lovely hateful cartoon.

I think the interpretation depends on whether the dad is a transman who is still okay with wearing feminine garb, or if he is a cis man who just likes to wear feminine clothes. If it's the former then it's a non-sequiter but if it's the latter then it's an anti-cd/drag cartoon. Maybe the cartoonist wanted to depict a transwoman, but then I think the child would refer to her as mom.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

The Rallian answer is 'make peace with Russia' 'A complete and unilateral surrender to Russia' :retrogames:

Fixed that for you. Let's be honest, that's about what it would take to finally shut Rall up.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I think the interpretation depends on whether the dad is a transman who is still okay with wearing feminine garb, or if he is a cis man who just likes to wear feminine clothes. If it's the former then it's a non-sequiter but if it's the latter then it's an anti-cd/drag cartoon. Maybe the cartoonist wanted to depict a transwoman, but then I think the child would refer to her as mom.

I think it's actually a quite clever (and very hateful) cartoon. The parent is a transwoman*, and the implication is that being a transwoman is the same as doing blackface. The kicker of course if that the joke hinges on the cartoonist (or the reader) not understanding what the meaning of "caricature" is.

*Called dad because that's essentially her name in that relation that's what she really is.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Can’t wait for Rall’s “your vote really means nothing” comic prior to Election Day.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I haven’t followed UK politics for a lettuce; are they really just slotting in the dude who managed to come in second place against Truss?

lmao

And only because Boris withdrew.

What the gently caress is a niceness agenda supposed to look like? What are it's policies?

I just noticed that CRT is thrown in there, lol.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I dont know posted:

And only because Boris withdrew.

Though note that "withdrew" here almost certainly means "didn't have enough supporters to be nominated but wanted it to look like his decision".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I dont know posted:

What the gently caress is a niceness agenda supposed to look like? What are it's policies?

Niceness means going back to using dogwhistles and :decorum: so that he doesn't have to admit to or face the things he supports wholeheartedly

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

NRVNQSR posted:

Though note that "withdrew" here almost certainly means "didn't have enough supporters to be nominated but wanted it to look like his decision".

I actually didn't know that. I was under the impression the Tories are in full on suicide pact mode and he still had enough support within the party to get it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Randalor posted:

Fixed that for you. Let's be honest, that's about what it would take to finally shut Rall up.

Nothing will ever make Rall shut up.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Humanity will be astounded when the lovely cartoons keep on coming from beyond the grave only to quickly lose interest and ignore them again.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Rishi Sunak’s new team – Few fresh faces in new prime minister’s first cabinet"
Bonus! :nws: Rowson's Naked Attraction PMs, celebrating 40 years of Channel 4

Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

"Does Rishi Sunak’s £730m fortune make him too rich to be PM?"

Evening Standard:

No 10: Jenga-style lectern replaced and Hot Podium Guy makes return; Why Rishi Sunak has to use an old lectern instead of designing his own

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can only imagine how deranged things have gotten at the conservative party that they allowed a minority to rise up.
I'm not mistaken here right? These guys are racist AF?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

By popular demand posted:

I can only imagine how deranged things have gotten at the conservative party that they allowed a minority to rise up.

The ran with Brexit because of their central stances is no scary foreigners. They are racist as all hell

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ah, I see the problem here. Lester is under the impression that people who wore blackface genuinely wanted to be black people, rather than it being for mockery and racist labor practices in entertainment. Common mistake.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I dont know posted:

It reminds me of how Andrew Yang's boondoggle had a talking head giving an interview and talked about "working together to find solutions" and never gave an actual concrete answer to "what are you actual loving policies, what would you do if actually elected," even when given very specific topics about which to have policies.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I dont know posted:

I actually didn't know that. I was under the impression the Tories are in full on suicide pact mode and he still had enough support within the party to get it.

Candidates needed to pass a high threshold of nominations from sitting Members of Parliament, and then it would have gone to a vote of the party members. The party members love Boris and he would likely have won that in a landslide against Sunak (at least partially because the membership are a bunch of racists), but it didn't go to them - not enough MPs wanted to deal with Boris as PM again to nominate him.

Sunak's filled his cabinet with a bunch of far-right culture war assholes though so it's not like he's much better from a policy perspective

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

By popular demand posted:

So the way I always try to explain it is this: British conservatives are very racist, and they are very sexist. But both of these are only sidelines to their actual primary prejudice: They are extremely classist.

Rishi Sunak went to the right schools, he talks in the right way, and he has a lot of money. That makes him "one of us" for most conservatives in and around UK politics: Going to Winchester and studying PPE at Oxford mark you as one of the political class, and that is the only thing that matters. That's why no-one is talking about this like it's an Obama situation; his leadership isn't overturning prejudices, it's 100% in line with them.

This doesn't mean they won't still be incredibly racist whenever they want to criticise him, or even just out of habit. Especially conservatives like Mac who support the party despite not being in that social class.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Sunak will also be a handy fall guy when tories lose the election. By

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I wish I was as certain as you the Tories are done but the last two decades convinced me that the UK is only dimly aware that the empire is gone and they have to treat the rest of the world with some respect.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fister Roboto posted:

Ah, I see the problem here. Lester is under the impression that people who wore blackface genuinely wanted to be black people, rather than it being for mockery and racist labor practices in entertainment. Common mistake.

Nah, because in the mind of Lester and the rest of the TERFs, the transfolk don't actually "want" to be the gender they say they are.

If it's a trans woman, then obviously it's just a pervert in drag who wants to watch your daughters change in the locker room.

If it's a trans man, then it's a poor innocent tomboy who was coerced and bamboozled into transitioning.

In either case, they don't truly identify with their professed gender identity, it's either a means to an end or a symptom of Woke Lib Cancel Culture The Swamp Groomers confusing them.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Least concealed bigotry (transphobia)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

the_steve posted:

Nah, because in the mind of Lester and the rest of the TERFs, the transfolk don't actually "want" to be the gender they say they are.

If it's a trans woman, then obviously it's just a pervert in drag who wants to watch your daughters change in the locker room.

Don't forget "he's just a wimpy pathetic soyboy who can't make it in men's sports but wants to dominate women's sports." I only remembered that one because right wing media was talking about a high school volleyball match in North Carolina where a trans girl player spiked a ball into the face of a girl on the opposing team. So the usual "Biological men are too strong to compete in women's sports, what if it was YOUR daughter who was injured by a biological man!" took place.

Though of course, I'm sure they think she's also a pervert as well, that's just not the angle they're using to attack her in this instance.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Most cartoons are budget based, so I'll run a few non-budget ones first:

Downes:

Cruise ships return to Tasmania for the first time since COVID ban despite new cases on WA liner (ABC).

Golding:

ABC's five-decade partnership with Doctor Who ends after BBC confirms Disney+ deal from 2023 (ABC).

Now for the budget cartoons:

Pope:

The general vibe of the budget objective.

Wilcox:

One million homes to be built under agreement with states and investors (SMH).

Le Lievre:

Rowe:

Jim Chalmers said he wants the budget to lead into a "national conversation" about how to fund services (leaving open potential tax reform). The lead focus in many papers - more obvious as the cartoons go News Corp below - is rising power prices. Also cartoonists love drawing dragons.

Knight:

Lethbridge:

Warren Brown:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009