Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

GlyphGryph posted:

If that's a response to me, that's not really what I mean, I don't mean "audio" games, I mean radio games. I think every radio game I know about had pretty decent visual graphics? Nintendo had an entire radio division and made a number of radio games for a while there, this is a screen shot of the main menu for their Setallaview radio console, for example:

Since it all depended on broadcasts, there were daily, weekly, and monthly schedules which outlined when specific games would be playable.

Not sure if it counts, but play-by-phone TV shows come pretty close. Extremely low-budget dead-of-night quiz broadcasts are what most people are familiar with, but there were a handful of more popular ones, like Hugo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Not sure if it counts, but play-by-phone TV shows come pretty close. Extremely low-budget dead-of-night quiz broadcasts are what most people are familiar with, but there were a handful of more popular ones, like Hugo.

Play-by-phone TV show just makes me think of Limmy's "Adventure Call" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyYg_bfrlw

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Yup

but imho in terms of general experience, unfortunately, I think Motorics gets the short straw in terms of dialogue. Reaction Speed carries a lot of it and pretty well, but Savoir-Faire and Composure could appear way more

(however Hand-Eye Coordination is one of my absolute favorite implementation of a skill ever)

Motorics definitely feels like the actual "skill" portion of the character sheet, in that points in motorics will actually make you a skilled and competent detective while points elsewhere will mostly just make you more.....Harry.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

the escape goat posted:

Tiny, what’s your build? like, are you spreading your skill points pretty evenly or are you leaning really hard into one specifically?

I picked the talker archetype at the beginning and I don't even honestly know if I've lvl'd yet or not. I listen to all the voice acting and click on everything lol
So yeah, not rushing the story or anything. Really diving in and exploring whatever sounds fun

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i was trying to remember a radio based video game system that i'd read about, and i'm pretty sure it's just this, which seems like it's just internet? i thought it was just straight up like streaming games in 1990, but then it said 'satellite radio' and i felt less dumb for thinking it was radio.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellaview

also yeah, there's not really a 'wrong' way to play disco eylsium, those game over situations are more of a feature than a game over imo, but i don't really remember where the game loads after those specific instances where you die as a direct result of a dialogue choice (as opposed to just running out of health or morale i mean, which can happen somewhat often, but as long as you have like more than 2 or 3 of each healing item at a time you generally don't have to worry about it ever). But yeah, i mean this sounds stupid and obvious, but i think it's easy to overthink it at first, but I usually just level up whatever skills sound interesting in general to hear from, just based on the skill descriptions/how that specific skill's 'dialogue' is written, because each skill is essentially a character and each of them are written in a pretty distinct way, and the more points you have in a specific skill you have the more dialogue you get, basically because you'll succeed in more passive skill checks in general. I think some of the more interesting ones that i leveled up a bunch on my first playthrough were inland empire and shivers, but i also liked the more straightforward skills too, like perception or empathy.

also i could just be totally misremembering now, but at some point later in the game i felt like i had stopped paying as much attention to which skill exactly was saying what, but by the last third of the game, it seemed like some of the skills were saying things that didn't necessarily match the skill, and i can't remember a specific example off the top of my head, but it was something like half light saying something specifically about your reaction speed, that reaction speed would usually say something about, but there's a few vague narrative or just general reasons that made it seem like a subtle but deliberate like character evolution basically. but like i said i can't actually remember any specifics and could've smoked too much weed before that or something.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Holy poo poo, this brought me back. I so badly wanted to call in but our phone didn't have the "number sounds" or what it's called. It was just unpitched "dots."

I would have rocked that poo poo. The people that played were always morons.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

zenguitarman posted:

Holy poo poo, this brought me back. I so badly wanted to call in but our phone didn't have the "number sounds" or what it's called. It was just unpitched "dots."

Oh, you had a rotary signal

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

I like this one by WoolieVersus. It's a full video playthrough of two black american dudes enjoying the hell out of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLp8KJWpuQ&list=PLiSdC6Lp8c7OqzRpriFam1lARlD9zI_Gl&index=114

The link is to the playlist and specifically to the super cut video of what they thought were the best moments. It's a really fun watch.

Jack Trades posted:

*Canadian

But yeah, Woolie's playthrough is very good.

I also liked SuperGreatFriend's playthrough of it as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXQAvz8c-0&list=PLaSPgE4K0SB3EgpAuZztCy5pqkkWrZHCO

For real, these two are GOLDEN plays

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

zenguitarman posted:

I have the distinct memory of being penned in for the next show but then they never called me back and my calls didn't go through. It broke me, and I never healed.

Granted, this happened in provincial Chile during the late 90s so chances are pretty good that the quality of the phone connection would have put me in the pile of kids who had a delay of a couple of seconds and died at the first obstacle three times in a row, desperately hammering the right button over and over on their final death. But still.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yup

but imho in terms of general experience, unfortunately, I think Motorics gets the short straw in terms of dialogue. Reaction Speed carries a lot of it and pretty well, but Savoir-Faire and Composure could appear way more

(however Hand-Eye Coordination is one of my absolute favorite implementation of a skill ever)

My first run was high motorics and it does mean you have a good chance of acing the autopsy whuch was very memorable. It also gives you high perception which means you actually notice stuff like the broken window in your room.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Motorics definitely feels like the actual "skill" portion of the character sheet, in that points in motorics will actually make you a skilled and competent detective while points elsewhere will mostly just make you more.....Harry.

My first playthrough was at MOT/INT and it's still my favorite. I find it very interesting, because MOT/INT Harry is perceptive, knowledgeable, composed, and generally capable and competent at all the fundamental skills of his job. He's still a complete and utter burnout sitting in the ashes of the dumpster fire that was his life, but he's a complete and utter burnout who's still really loving good at solving cases.

One of the questions I wondered at the start of my first playthrough was basically "Why do these people put up with this guy?" and, in the case of MOT/INT Harry, it's because he really is just so loving good at the job that putting up with him was worth it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You get enough skill points that you can pump a voice or two that's not in your primary skillsets. Like I did a psych/motorics playthrough but boosted visual calculus, so I was a completely insane disco cop who was also an idiot savant at dissecting crime scenes. That made narrative sense, Harry Cousteau may be unhinged but he used to be an incredible cop and his intuition and investigative skills are still there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah as much as you can play Harry as a complete mess, I still enjoyed my "surprisingly competent dumpster fire" from my first play through (Primarily INT with some strong MOT and PSY skills to back me up) more than any of the subsequent ones (although they were still really fun!) and I don't think that's just because it was who I played first. Those Visual Calculus checks and that completed autopsy just felt so loving good, so satisfying, in the middle of everything else.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I picked the talker archetype at the beginning and I don't even honestly know if I've lvl'd yet or not.

"Levels" in this game are just skill points. Spend them when you've got them - many checks in the game are immediate and hidden (specifically, whether or not voices pop up and whether or not they offer you new options) so you won't even know you failed them if you don't have the appropriate skill and just won't see the associated content, so put those skill points into any skills you want to hear more from as soon as you can. Or spend them unlocking thought cabinet thoughts, since those are great as well! Leaving one or two left over so you can retry white checks is fine, but I feel like if you hoard them like some people do you're going to be missing out, especially since there's not really any wrong way to spend them.

Also, please post more. I and the others in this thread absolutely love living vicariously through people playing the game for the first time, getting us as close as we can to experiencing the game with new eyes ourselves.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 26, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Play-by-phone TV show just makes me think of Limmy's "Adventure Call" series.

Phasmid: 'Get rid of her mate, she's shite'

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Xander77 posted:

More :clap: female :clap: aerostatic :clap: signalers!

I do really appreciate all the "male feminist" dialogue options. And especially the other one where you confront the lorry driver with Kim about the racist mug. "Well, I think we all learned something today."

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

When I was sailing offshore I played Combat Mission against a friend with the play by email option by emailing him via my single sideband radio and a pactor modem, I dunno if that counts as radio video games

Getting that sweet 2000 bytes per minute transfer speed

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

SixFigureSandwich posted:

My first run was high motorics and it does mean you have a good chance of acing the autopsy whuch was very memorable. It also gives you high perception which means you actually notice stuff like the broken window in your room.

Deffo true, the team itself said that you can't basically go wrong with Motorics because

quote:

And, unlike the other skill sets, they don’t come at a huge cost. Put too many points into Physique and it turns you into a violent animal – something like Marv from Sin City. Overdo Psyche and you’re Dale Cooper on MDMA. Too much Intellect turns you a Holmesian pedant. The twist with Motorics is – there is no such twist. Ultra high levels of the Motorics skills surprise you with expanded functionality. It’s the stabilizing element of your build, the binding agent.

To rephrase my point a little better then, it feels to me that, in comparison to others, a Motorics-focused character doesn't have a lot of comparative dialogue in relation to other skills who offer way more input (Logic, Drama, Empathy, Rhetoric, Volition, Conceptualization, Encyclopedia, Shivers, Inland Empire). And unfortunately it has a seriously underused skill (which the game itself admits) in Savoir-Faire.

On terms of doing stuff though? Yeah. Hand-Eye Coordination is loving great imho because it is explicitly stated as "this is for when poo poo gets real". Reaction Speed is one of my favorites too because it expands dialogue - it allows you to retort/interrupt while other skills many times don't

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

zenguitarman posted:

SexyBlindfold posted:

I have the distinct memory of being penned in for the next show but then they never called me back and my calls didn't go through. It broke me, and I never healed.

Granted, this happened in provincial Chile during the late 90s so chances are pretty good that the quality of the phone connection would have put me in the pile of kids who had a delay of a couple of seconds and died at the first obstacle three times in a row, desperately hammering the right button over and over on their final death. But still.
Only 90's kid will remember. Worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lz6IeCogWo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The first I played I focussed on Psyche/Motorics and I think I almost, briefly, came across as a functional human being. Empathy/Volition/Composure/Perception is a solid base to work from. Threw in Pain Threshold to make it weird.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Deffo true, the team itself said that you can't basically go wrong with Motorics because

Too much INT: Terminally Online
Too much PSY: Anti-vaxx crystal aunt
Too much FYS: Cop
Too much MOT: I'm Just loving Good, Babey

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I played as motorics cop with no other specialization. I solved the case flawlessly, effortlessly teleported up the ladder, trick shot domed the merc, and finished the game having learned basically nothing about the world or details about the characters beyond what perception tells you. everything I know about the pale and other major features of the world came from reading them online. Motorics Only makes you extremely competent but also pretty blind in some ways. I can see why they have a preset cop for the other three stats but not MOT

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I played as motorics cop with no other specialization. I solved the case flawlessly, effortlessly teleported up the ladder, trick shot domed the merc, and finished the game having learned basically nothing about the world or details about the characters beyond what perception tells you. everything I know about the pale and other major features of the world came from reading them online. Motorics Only makes you extremely competent but also pretty blind in some ways. I can see why they have a preset cop for the other three stats but not MOT

Motorics is the true zen, empty mind, pure action. A Motorics cop will dance between the raindrops without knowing what dancing or raindrops are

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

It's not loving cryo actilate...it's super glue, doc.

Holy poo poo, why did I take so long to start playing this game? Deeply hoping Mack gets more screentime, because the VA's delivery is incredible.

e: I'm gonna do a few playthroughs first, but how do I "cheat" my way to 6666? Once I've got some proper runs in I'm curious to see how that plays out.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 26, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

e: I'm gonna do a few playthroughs first, but how do I "cheat" my way to 6666? Once I've got some proper runs in I'm curious to see how that plays out.

IMO it's not really meant to be trainer-cheated. All you really get out of trying to max out your stats is the greek chrorus in your head just does not shut the gently caress up, ever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Also, because time advances with dialog, the days pass much more quickly, most notably on Day 1.

I did it for a run and I thought it was pretty entertaining, but I definitely wouldn't do it as your first one. There's a couple of combinations from impossibly high stats I don't think I would have seen organically.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Having high Empathy for the Dead body on the Boardwalk task is easily one of the most gut wrenching of the things in this game to conclude.

EMPATHY
If you say two days it will be etched in her brain forever.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 26, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m playing this game for the first time since launch. Are there any tips for making sure I get to do at least one of the new side quests? Or can I just bumble around and not worry I’ll miss it?

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Owlbear Camus posted:

IMO it's not really meant to be trainer-cheated. All you really get out of trying to max out your stats is the greek chrorus in your head just does not shut the gently caress up, ever.

That's kinda what I'm looking for! Again, I'm planning to do a few playthroughs before I give it a shot--I can already tell this game is gonna have legs for me, in terms of playtime, and I'm in no hurry to do some kind of ~optimum run~ or whatever. I dig loving everything up and having no idea what's going on. But I do, at some point, definitely wanna see just how batshit crazy things can get when that whole Greek chorus is sounding off at once. And if that turns out to be a catastrophic mistake, so much the better.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I’m playing this game for the first time since launch. Are there any tips for making sure I get to do at least one of the new side quests? Or can I just bumble around and not worry I’ll miss it?

I think your best bet is just to Get Political at every opportunity

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vegetable posted:

Just make sure you've picked a political ideology by day 3 or so.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

Just make sure you've picked a political ideology by day 3 or so.

Is Hobocop an ideology?

*Patrick from Spongebob but he looks like Harry here*

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/prussianyankee/status/1585310671649898501

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

It's not loving cryo actilate...it's super glue, doc.

Holy poo poo, why did I take so long to start playing this game? Deeply hoping Mack gets more screentime, because the VA's delivery is incredible.

There used to be a glitch where, if you used a controller to exit to the menu during character creation and then went back into character creation, you would get one of ten debug builds at random, which included both 1111 and 6666 builds (as well as a super-build with six in every stat and six points in every skill, giving you a 12 in everything). Sadly for all several speedrunners, they patched it out.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

VROOM VROOM posted:

I think your best bet is just to Get Political at every opportunity

*agree enthusiastically*

Also for those irritated by Cuno\Cunoesse, once you’re done the game either you will know, or look up their backgrounds.

Especially for cunoesse it becomes very clear why they are who they are. No personality is formed in a vacuum.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Sit on my Jace posted:

There used to be a glitch where, if you used a controller to exit to the menu during character creation and then went back into character creation, you would get one of ten debug builds at random, which included both 1111 and 6666 builds (as well as a super-build with six in every stat and six points in every skill, giving you a 12 in everything). Sadly for all several speedrunners, they patched it out.

drat. Alright, thanks.

In terms of retrying white skill checks, what are the criteria? I know if you add a point to the skill you can hit it again, but does equipping clothing that boosts the stat qualify? The nice gardener lady gave me some ammonia so I could go puke on the crime scene again, but pulling on a jacket that gave me +1 Empathy didn't let me retry a conversational check with some dude chilling by his car. What's the rule for that kinda stuff?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

drat. Alright, thanks.

In terms of retrying white skill checks, what are the criteria? I know if you add a point to the skill you can hit it again, but does equipping clothing that boosts the stat qualify? The nice gardener lady gave me some ammonia so I could go puke on the crime scene again, but pulling on a jacket that gave me +1 Empathy didn't let me retry a conversational check with some dude chilling by his car. What's the rule for that kinda stuff?

It only triggers from adding skill points afaik.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Claes Oldenburger posted:

*agree enthusiastically*

Also for those irritated by Cuno\Cunoesse, once you’re done the game either you will know, or look up their backgrounds.

Especially for cunoesse it becomes very clear why they are who they are. No personality is formed in a vacuum.

I think Shivers gives a little description if you pass the hidden check and it's not pretty.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Khizan posted:

One of the questions I wondered at the start of my first playthrough was basically "Why do these people put up with this guy?" and, in the case of MOT/INT Harry, it's because he really is just so loving good at the job that putting up with him was worth it.

To be fair thats just canon no matter what your build is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Kras Masov is like if Marx somehow died leading the paris commune during the eight weeks it existed