Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Randallteal posted:

Oh man, I opened up the game and let it run in observer mode to 1860 while I had breakfast, and it's making me wish I had been playing. The UK joined the Mexican-American War on the US side opposite Mexico, Russia, and independent military dictatorship Canada. The Ango-American side won but was bled so dry that the US lost the civil war right afterwards. Now North America is split between the Canadian-Mexican alliance, the US-UK alliance, and a huge CSA with Illinois, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. And everyone hates each other.

Also I love that West Virginia still went union in this timeline.

Hmm, I am guessing there isn't too much variance in how this turns out with the current ai and setup? I have seen this map of "the square" (where Florida and Maine still remain politically connected to the West, Mexican California doesnt get annexed) multiple times

In my case the square is the Free States somehow lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I played for a few hours last night as the Cape Colony, which went roughly as follows:

1. I am generating tons of radicals, this is going to end terribly, crap.
2. I need to raise my standard of living and get some racial equality or this is going to end in violence.
3. I get racial equality and raise my standard of living.
4. gently caress after a lot of work I raised my standard of living and got racial equality but a lot of people are still angry... apparently because the country has a state religion and it is a minority religion to boot, most of the country is not Christian.
5. gently caress. Now that I mandated religious equality a quarter of the nation is pissed off they lack political power AND the old powerbase is pissed off about all the equality...

Apparently raising the standard of living so much resulted in massive immigration... which meant more unrepresented minorities, which meant people wanted political power who had none.

9/10, would try to make Colonial South Africa a Not-Apartheid state again.

I have some questions if anyone wants to weigh in:

A. What industry should I focus on next time when I restart? I did random resources which showed they would make a profit, clothes and furniture. Coal and iron both show red but should I do it anyway because then steel will turn a profit?

B. Should I close borders until I need more labor to deal with the above next time or just try to shift which political parties are in power?

C. What do you do to ensure wheat prices stay low, ban exports or something? I noticed no matter how much furniture and clothes I made, and I was #2 globally for clothes, the price under the needs tab for my pops barely went down.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 26, 2022

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Public schools? Sure

Multiculturalism? Why not

Census suffrage? Yeah can do that

Allowing women to buy and own their own stuff rather than women themselves being property? That's definitely one step too far, now almost every IG is literally losing their poo poo and you've got a revolution on your hands (And wait til you try to actually have women vote, everybody is totally hardcore opposed to it, -10 opinion to every single IG :aaa: )

:allears:

ps: what's the best way to grind an IG down into marginalization? Just suppressing helps keep them under 10% clout, but it seems to stop working shortly after that. Do I have to make it so the actual landowner pops become poorer? How do I do that?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm not sure how the profitability is calculated but it feels like it's often best to ignore it and just try to produce things which are in short supply

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TorakFade posted:

Public schools? Sure

Multiculturalism? Why not

Census suffrage? Yeah can do that

Allowing women to buy and own their own stuff rather than women themselves being property? That's definitely one step too far, now almost every IG is literally losing their poo poo and you've got a revolution on your hands (And wait til you try to actually have women vote, everybody is totally hardcore opposed to it, -10 opinion to every single IG :aaa: )

:allears:

ps: what's the best way to grind an IG down into marginalization? Just suppressing helps keep them under 10% clout, but it seems to stop working shortly after that. Do I have to make it so the actual landowner pops become poorer? How do I do that?

Promote the growth/wealth of other pops in your capital. If the landowners are strong build buildings that employ lots of clerks, bureaucrats, capitalists etc. that will support industrialist/inteligencia IGs.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I tried China, and I think that China is more or less just completely hosed. The reason I say that isn't because their admin situation is dire, or their literacy is awful, or their government is a trash fire - all those things can be fixed. The problem is infrastructure.

Provinces have something like 1200 arable land to accommodate the literally millions of people who live there. So far, so good. However, they've only got about 80 infrastructure or so. Each building you build takes 1-2 infrastructure, and maybe employs 3k-5k people. Even in a wildly amazing scenario where you get 4k employment per infrastructure, that's still only 320,000 people that are employed. If you exceed the infrastructure amount, the province suffers from low access to the market, which ends up being a big deal, near as I can tell.

There is literally no way to industrialize the majority of China, simply because of the way infrastructure works in their provinces.

More frustratingly, there's no warning about going over the infrastructure limit for a province (this affects other nations, like the US, as well), so you end up having to keep a more manual track of how much you're building in each area.

It's very irritating because a province can have 600 subsistence farms with perfect access to the market, but when you try to build proper farms and proper lumber mills, you can't because of infrastructure limits. There's also no way to permanently boost infrastructure other than ports and railroads, but ports add 5 infrastructure and railroads add 20, so they're not a good option either.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^
Some tech gives infra based on population (I think modern sewage is one?) but that may not be enough either. And getting tech in low literacy country sucks (finally got my Japan kinda out of the grip of the Shogunate, so maybe I can finally get some schools...)

----

What to build probably depends on whether you're in your own market or not?

If you are, producing stuff your pops and buildings (tools!) need will probably make things better for your people. If you're some minor in the UK market building a furniture factory probably won't actually make furniture noticeably cheaper for your people, so luxury stuff may be better[1] so at least people who work those factories get better lives..

[1] But then you may want it even if independent to get money to industrialize, no clue how to properly balance that...

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 26, 2022

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

So I tried China, and I think that China is more or less just completely hosed. The reason I say that isn't because their admin situation is dire, or their literacy is awful, or their government is a trash fire - all those things can be fixed. The problem is infrastructure.

Provinces have something like 1200 arable land to accommodate the literally millions of people who live there. So far, so good. However, they've only got about 80 infrastructure or so. Each building you build takes 1-2 infrastructure, and maybe employs 3k-5k people. Even in a wildly amazing scenario where you get 4k employment per infrastructure, that's still only 320,000 people that are employed. If you exceed the infrastructure amount, the province suffers from low access to the market, which ends up being a big deal, near as I can tell.

There is literally no way to industrialize the majority of China, simply because of the way infrastructure works in their provinces.

More frustratingly, there's no warning about going over the infrastructure limit for a province (this affects other nations, like the US, as well), so you end up having to keep a more manual track of how much you're building in each area.

It's very irritating because a province can have 600 subsistence farms with perfect access to the market, but when you try to build proper farms and proper lumber mills, you can't because of infrastructure limits. There's also no way to permanently boost infrastructure other than ports and railroads, but ports add 5 infrastructure and railroads add 20, so they're not a good option either.

Think some techs add infra per pop; that helps a lot.
Other than that, more railroads!
Unfortunately,I keep getting crashes at wartime and th3 occasional full computer freeze when playing...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

uPen posted:

Promote the growth/wealth of other pops in your capital. If the landowners are strong build buildings that employ lots of clerks, bureaucrats, capitalists etc. that will support industrialist/inteligencia IGs.

I need to start thinking like this. Gonna do my 36th restart as Sweden and see if I can’t fudge the IG more this time. So far I feel I’ve had to just let them do their thing.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Would people mind reporting these two mods?
https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/51803/Any
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=529340

They basically promote Russification based genocide. This isn't a historical name pack (which I get and is fine), it's simply "Russian names for Ukraine and Belarus."

Thanks!

Back to good and cool stuff, namely this game. I barely have any idea wtf I'm doing....but man it's fun.

Most of Ukraine already has Russians names. Mykolaiv is called Nikoliav, Kyiv is called Kiev in game, but Kyiv on the 3d graphics.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Dirk the Average posted:

Is focusing all development on a handful of targeted regions a option? Like, turn Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou into supercities while leaving the rural areas to rot in agrarian poverty?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The dynamic railroad system, visually, is extremely cool.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a way to move your capital? Playing HBC my capital is some garbage middle of nowhere province while all my development is in Ontario and Quebec.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tomn posted:

Is focusing all development on a handful of targeted regions a option? Like, turn Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou into supercities while leaving the rural areas to rot in agrarian poverty?

And they say this game doesn't have a real history focus

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Some tech gives infra based on population (I think modern sewage is one?) but that may not be enough either. And getting tech in low literacy country sucks (finally got my Japan kinda out of the grip of the Shogunate, so maybe I can finally get some schools...)

There's a cap on those techs though - they at most add 10 infra per province per tech, which is maybe another 40,000 employed per tech. It'll barely make a dent.

Holy poo poo, I hadn't looked closely at the tax debuffs. The big provinces are at -80%. 15 government buildings at game start add 150 tax capacity. You need in excess of 1.5k. Fixable, eventually, but not with the dire infrastructure cap.

Maybe there's a way to prosper while going way over the market cap? Going to have to look into that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tomn posted:

Sure, you could, but your market access is going to go to poo poo more or less immediately. Spreading things out is way more efficient simply because you're taking advantage of the base values given to each state.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Maybe release a bunch of vassals, so the infra is Not Your Problem, build up some selected cities as Tomn said, then once you're on your feet reintegrate them?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Dirk the Average posted:

As long as each railroad takes less coal/engines then you can add with 20 infrastructure, then it's a virtuous cycle to build railroads for basically ever and gain on the margin. What that would look like, we'll...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnM-RQI23Y

Scrree fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 26, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

I recall from the Prussia stream that it’s specifically possible to diploannex German minors as a German nation - as I recall this isn’t restricted to Prussia or Austria, other German nations can join in the fun too. I’m not sure of all the requirements but you do need a customs union and high relations among other things, and once the triggers are in place eventually they’ll ask to join up by event. Check the journal to see if the German Unification entry goes into more detail.

Edit: Here’s the dev diary on the subject, keeping in mind there may have been tweaks since it was written.

This is a lot of useful information, thanks!

But it also seems to confirm my fears that sooner or later, Prussia will try to gobble up those tiny minors around me and try to form Germany. I guess preparing for war it is, if I want my fancy North Sea cost to happen.

Edit:

Welp, looks like I can form the North German Confederation on my own, as long as I manage to get to "Major Power" rank at some point. As a challenge to myself, I'll try to get to this point using trade and diplomacy, because having 5-6 of the friendly minors around me join up to spite Prussia would be a really funny outcome

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 26, 2022

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Securing a good supply of coal as Sweden was a total gamechanger.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

my review so far is that everything is solid except for the historical flavor, which is virtually non-existent beyond stuff like "this cool dude named garibaldi showed up, want to make him a general?"

kind of like a reversed stellaris situation where the game released with completely busted systems but a lot of flavor. on the other hand, solid systems but no flavor is vastly preferable since adding flavor with mods is significantly less difficult than wrangling the systems into becoming something that they aren't

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not sure how the profitability is calculated but it feels like it's often best to ignore it and just try to produce things which are in short supply

I saw a dev on a stream say there was a bug right now. Apparently it only predicts based on the current price. Say your iron will get cheaper so you will lose money. But if your iron is cheaper your tool production is cheaper so you end up making money despite what the tool tip says

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Holy poo poo, I hadn't looked closely at the tax debuffs. The big provinces are at -80%. 15 government buildings at game start add 150 tax capacity. You need in excess of 1.5k. Fixable, eventually, but not with the dire infrastructure cap.

Have somewhat smaller version of that in Japan, and I think it may actually not make financial sense to deal with this immediately? Like you are basically hiring a lot of expensive bureaucrats to try to get everyone in a population that's overwhelmingly poor peasants (and somehow they have a proportional chance of missing the guys with the mansions).... but conveniently given how the institutions works your tax collectors are also your schoolteachers and doctors and all that, so you probably get better value out of them once you actually have those institutions?

(This feels extra-ahistorical since I don't think anyone ever had trouble taxing literals serfs; perhaps subsistence population should not be taxed directly but via their aristocrat landlords?).

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

OddObserver posted:

(This feels extra-ahistorical since I don't think anyone ever had trouble taxing literals serfs; perhaps subsistence population should not be taxed directly but via their aristocrat landlords?).

Don’t think this is true - as I recall a common issue in imperial China, for instance, was the government’s records of who owned how much land of what fertility having very little relationship to the facts on the ground, a situation which frequently both landowners and local peasants were not keen to correct. It takes a LOT of bureaucracy and paperwork to keep track of that kind of thing, so kludges and simplifications that end up leaving money on the table (or alternatively overtaxing stressed regions) is pretty common.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a way to move your capital? Playing HBC my capital is some garbage middle of nowhere province while all my development is in Ontario and Quebec.

yeah there's an option for it in the Politics(?) lens. The same one where you place State edicts.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OddObserver posted:

taxing literal serfs was extremely difficult because of the social dynamics involved. they are incentivized to hide grain or money to make the winter easier to survive; the tax collectors and the tax administration know this, so tax rates were often jacked up enough to compensate for it such that an honest village would starve if they paid the full rate, incentivizing hiding wealth, and the whole thing keeps going. tax farmers are additionally looking to pad their own bottom line by taking additional taxes beyond what the state asks for, which is where part of the tax inefficiency comes from

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

OddObserver posted:

Have somewhat smaller version of that in Japan, and I think it may actually not make financial sense to deal with this immediately? Like you are basically hiring a lot of expensive bureaucrats to try to get everyone in a population that's overwhelmingly poor peasants (and somehow they have a proportional chance of missing the guys with the mansions).... but conveniently given how the institutions works your tax collectors are also your schoolteachers and doctors and all that, so you probably get better value out of them once you actually have those institutions?

The main issue was the fact that a) taxing people was usually based on land which was - in theory - providing value, but was potentially devastated/abandoned/underperforming, so you couldn't recover the theoretically owed tax (and tax collectors would sometimes waive taxes), and b) taxes were based on the value land had at a specific point in time, usually a census that was years or decades old, meaning that you might not be taxing the full value of the land as it exists today. So I guess the tax debuff could represent both of those in the context of serfs.

But yeah it's a bit odd for Japan to start in 1836 with half of its tax value just evaporating, with no real way to fix this without getting into a we-need-more-paper-and-bureaucrats death spiral where expanding both brings you way over the infrastructure limit. "central archives", as a mission, seems to expect a level 10 bureaucracy centre in your capital which sounds about right, but that leaves so much tax off the table in Kyoto.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TorakFade posted:

check to see if they don't have a lot of +modifiers on their clout score. playing as japan and shooting for an early restoration, the aristocrats are powerful and have a bunch of things propping up their clout. removing them from government isn't enough, you have to push their clout down below powerful and keep it there for 10 years. i went for an early reform and freed the serfs, this pissed off the landowners and the warrior IG into fighting me - they lost, but the landowners were still able to come back and be a bothersome opposition faction because i did not undercut the laws propping them up like hereditary bureaucrats and a locally controlled police force

OddObserver posted:

historically, aristocrats are super good at juking the numbers to underpay their taxes, or to shift more of the tax burden onto peasants. you need to build up a whole rear end bureaucracy to keep track of exactly who owes what, especially in a time before a cash economy and you can't easily put a monetary value on "how much food did this field produce, again?"

like if the tax collector isn't there watching the rice come from the fields so 1/10 can be sacked up and taken to the government, who's to say how much gets 'spilled' on the way to the granary?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Well the first time I got thrown out of the British market ts was fun rebuilding my entire economy to work without them. Then I managed to join the French market and my economy soared to incredible levels! Until they had a revolution and I could not rejoin them for some reason. Ok, Scandinavia offered to let me join their custom union. Wait, my entire country is considered Isolated from the market even though we both have ports and I can find no way to fix this??? And that absolutely destroyed my economy and caused a revolution. Think I'm just going to try and ride this out and not worry too much about retooling my entire economy over and over and see what happens. As much transparency as this game has sometimes it's just impossible to tell why you can't do something, like join custom union being greyed out even though they'd accept and I'm not in any market.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So far my biggest complaint is that there aren't enough pop up notifications for big events. Playing Canada I had no clue the UK had some sort of massive spiral into revolution and emerged as a Republic. Playing Canada I had no idea the US civil war happened.

Also playing HBC I just noticed I have been given BC. You'd think there'd be a notification that I had annexed BC?? Nope. I only noticed after the game warned me about low infra capacity in BC.

Am I missing some settings to turn more of these important notifications on?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

honestly given how many moving parts this has I'm rather impressed at how playable it is from the start

(besides, in terms of economic systems, successful strategies being mentioned so far involve doing the historical smart approaches in some degree, which is very cool as well)

Political change and reform is where things are sorta hilarious because some changes should definitely not be possible so soon without some humongous collateral (ending slavery in the USA for example). On the other hand, when it works, it's pretty cool imho: Poor Laws in my Sweden game became a protracted battle between industrialists and landowners, with my bolstering of trade unions becoming a steadily increasing factor that the opposition couldn't deny, with a few nice events like the industrialist leader delivering a powerful speech on the merits of the issue, than a playwright making an inspired piece from the topic, etc

That feels like the intended progression for the issues, but there's also the element of "XCOM rules apply" which I do agree with for the sake of having interesting situations and just seeing how different things can go.

And on the subject of XCOM rules, there's good criticism about economic stability to be made, especially with staple necessities. Imo it seems that some greater measure of chaos on terms of food supply at start (crop failures, bad weather, etc) could work to provide more agitation and political strife.

And on that note, there's the inescapable matter of player awareness/intention/ideology. Taking the thread for example, I haven't seen nobody trying to do bad socioeconomics on purpose. Like, everybody wants to raise standards of living, develop the economy, ensure guarantee of supply, etc. Nobody wants to break their own leg on doing a colonialism - at least so far - or the other abysmally stupid poo poo that plenty of governments of the time did. The economic systems in place are loving great imho because thread title, it's development of capital and capitalism and feels rather organic, but I'm not seeing a British player who isn't roleplaying doing something like a stunt in Afghanistan

like sure this might be something to this thread and there are reddit reactionaries in monocles bankrupting themselves for the sake of empire, who knows

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jazerus posted:

my review so far is that everything is solid except for the historical flavor, which is virtually non-existent beyond stuff like "this cool dude named garibaldi showed up, want to make him a general?"

kind of like a reversed stellaris situation where the game released with completely busted systems but a lot of flavor. on the other hand, solid systems but no flavor is vastly preferable since adding flavor with mods is significantly less difficult than wrangling the systems into becoming something that they aren't

Agreed this is a pretty solid foundation to build on Jazerus.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Are there any environmental disasters in this game other than random events or scripted ones?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've seen a couple reports that the Mac port is pretty slow

I’ve been ok on my MacBook Air M1

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Are there any environmental disasters in this game other than random events or scripted ones?

I'm not sure how you would have an environmental disaster that isn't either a random event or a scripted one?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

And on that note, there's the inescapable matter of player awareness/intention/ideology. Taking the thread for example, I haven't seen nobody trying to do bad socioeconomics on purpose. Like, everybody wants to raise standards of living, develop the economy, ensure guarantee of supply, etc. Nobody wants to break their own leg on doing a colonialism - at least so far - or the other abysmally stupid poo poo that plenty of governments of the time did. The economic systems in place are loving great imho because thread title, it's development of capital and capitalism and feels rather organic, but I'm not seeing a British player who isn't roleplaying doing something like a stunt in Afghanistan

if it makes you feel better I killed 10k walloons trying to navally invade Kongo, shattering the states workforce and bringing belgium to the verge of bankruptcy with a combination of war reparations and debt, it's taken me almost 10 years to dig out of the hole just to get into the black and now my country is filled with radicals

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hellioning posted:

I'm not sure how you would have an environmental disaster that isn't either a random event or a scripted one?

I dunno I was thinking about like pollution being a thing in the game but I guess not.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

if it makes you feel better I killed 10k walloons trying to navally invade Kongo, shattering the states workforce and bringing belgium to the verge of bankruptcy with a combination of war reparations and debt, it's taken me almost 10 years to dig out of the hole just to get into the black and now my country is filled with radicals

+1 for systems in place lmao

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've seen a couple reports that the Mac port is pretty slow

I have not played V3 yet but Paradox's recent Mac ports have been slow. I've got my MacBook Pro set up to dual boot and CK3 runs much better in Windows than it does on OS X with identical hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Jazerus posted:

Coincidentally, paradox recently had a job opening for a content creator of narrative stuff in Victoria 3 (I applied) so they clearly have plans for the future to expand on this.