Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gripweed posted:

Sure Moonstar and Thunderbird and Warpath are all created in the stereotypical image of "an Indian" but they also talk in full sentences and have character motivations and such. And there's Forge right there who, aside from the headband, isn't a stereotypical Native American at all

Forge does delve into native mysticism from time to time.

I don’t have a full opinion on Gateway, I can imagine there are some aboriginal thoughts out there on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't Bishop (and Shard, I guess) related to Gateway?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It can be a minefield. I think Hickman has said he stays away from writing Black characters because he's worried about accidentally writing stereotypes. Not writing stereotypes is good, but also representation is good, and part of that means not writing all characters as White guys with different skins.

I prefer Manifold, despite the name.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gripweed posted:

Sure Moonstar and Thunderbird and Warpath are all created in the stereotypical image of "an Indian" but they also talk in full sentences and have character motivations and such. And there's Forge right there who, aside from the headband, isn't a stereotypical Native American at all

Dani, John, and Jimmy have also had the advantage of years of character growth and development, including occasionally being written by indigenous writers, which is something Gateway has never been afforded. If Gateway has ever even spoken, outside of the AoA version, it's been a small handful of times. He's really more a plot device than a character, which is absolutely a problem, even his being Bishop's great-grandfather is more a prop for Bishop than anything about him. He's a character I have a lot of affection for because I loving love the Australia era but it would be nice to see him better served.

Forge is a really interesting case because his Cheyenne heritage is important but that's substantially in the context of the ways he's rejected the mysticism he was supposed to be focused on. Also interesting that in almost 40 years of publication, he doesn't have a non-codename which is another obfuscation of his heritage maybe. I don't have a larger point there really, I've just always been a fan of Forge and love talking about him.

edit:

StumblyWumbly posted:

It can be a minefield. I think Hickman has said he stays away from writing Black characters because he's worried about accidentally writing stereotypes. Not writing stereotypes is good, but also representation is good, and part of that means not writing all characters as White guys with different skins.

Ta-Nehisi Coates has commented that he believes Bendis deserves an NAACP award for making Luke Cage matter, wanting to avoid stereotyping is good but not an excuse for just writing white people.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 26, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

He's Marvel's most prominent aboriginal Australian character and he never talks, only wears a loincloth, is very mysterious and spiritual, he uses a bullroarer to make his powers go, and I've seen him drawn a lot with exaggerated proportions that make him seem more like a leprechaun than a human.

You raise some good points. I think Claremont was trying something different and didn't have racist intentions but due to when he was introduced and subsequent writers, he hasn't gotten to move very far from where he started.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't Bishop (and Shard, I guess) related to Gateway?

Literally read this issue the other day. In Claremont’s X-Treme X-Men it is revealed Gateway is Bishop’s great-grandfather.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Brocktoon posted:

Literally read this issue the other day. In Claremont’s X-Treme X-Men it is revealed Gateway is Bishop’s great-grandfather.

Come to think of it, Claremont made a consistent point in that book of establishing that Bishop was an aborigine, but I'm not sure if any other writer ever acknowledged that.

It didn't help that Bishop proceeded to spend the better part of the next 20 years or so on a heel turn, between the first Civil War and that whole bit where he was trying to murder Hope.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

rantmo posted:

Ta-Nehisi Coates has commented that he believes Bendis deserves an NAACP award for making Luke Cage matter, wanting to avoid stereotyping is good but not an excuse for just writing white people.

Yeah, to be clear I don't agree with Hickman and I think writers should put in the work to make realistic, diverse characters. Just showing the opposite extreme from "Let's increase diversity by adding stereotypes",

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I don't know much about Gateway, but Manifold is a new favorite after Ewing wrote him in Sword.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hickman fuckin' loves using sunspot, though?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Marvel just has a really, really, *really* bad track record with non-American heroes. I always point out that big meeting of the world’s super heroes T’Challa called early on in Aaron’s Avengers and it was filled with a Chinese hive-mind character, a stoic native shaman and Arabian Knight. The most prominent Irish heroes that I can think of are Banshee (who started off with the Irish gorilla face from 1800s British tabloids) and the girl whose power was luck (before she became an alcoholic and broke her leg). Half of the European heroes are just Person In Knight Armor.

Like I get that there’s a segment of Americans that will unironically cheer breathlessly for the drunken Russian were-bear but whenever you read this poo poo as a non-American it really gets old fast when people just point to T’Challa or Sunspot and go “But see? We fixed it!”

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Between Nuke and Hate-Monger they got most of America covered.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Why wouldn't you put your favorite childhood characters in everything if you are able to? Sunspot and Cannonball for life.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Nilbop posted:

Marvel just has a really, really, *really* bad track record with non-American heroes. I always point out that big meeting of the world’s super heroes T’Challa called early on in Aaron’s Avengers and it was filled with a Chinese hive-mind character, a stoic native shaman and Arabian Knight. The most prominent Irish heroes that I can think of are Banshee (who started off with the Irish gorilla face from 1800s British tabloids) and the girl whose power was luck (before she became an alcoholic and broke her leg). Half of the European heroes are just Person In Knight Armor.

Like I get that there’s a segment of Americans that will unironically cheer breathlessly for the drunken Russian were-bear but whenever you read this poo poo as a non-American it really gets old fast when people just point to T’Challa or Sunspot and go “But see? We fixed it!”

Fair, but at the same time the most popular X-Men are mostly international heroes. Be nice if they ever got the opportunity to hang out in their home countries though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is Clea gonna bang a dead guy? That's messed up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I don't remember if he created Manifold, or just fleshed him out in Secret Warriors.

And he made Black Panther a huge deal in his Fantastic Four and Avengers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

I don't remember if he created Manifold, or just fleshed him out in Secret Warriors.

And he made Black Panther a huge deal in his Fantastic Four and Avengers.

he co-created Manifold with Bendis

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Just as I'd accepted the She-Hulk comic was a chill, romance story without the usual super hero plots.... BAM! Plot progression! Really oddly paced comic, but I don't regret sticking it out so far. Curious to see where it goes next.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gripweed posted:

Honestly, at the time of his introduction, Forge was actually fairly stereotypical - it's just that it was a different stereotype, as the "Native American who left the rez because being poor sucks, joined the Army, got sent to 'Nam, and today is struggling to reconcile his worldly lifestyle with the teachings he grew up with" was a fairly common fictional trope at the time; my hunch is that it ties back to the whole image people had of Native Americans emigrating to NYC and working to build a bunch of skyscrapers, which was a bit of a cultural touchstone in the US Northeast for a good long while, but that just might be me, I'm not sure.

Point is, sometimes characters are very much a trope when they're introduced but that trope falls out of use later

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Point is, sometimes characters are very much a trope when they're introduced but that trope falls out of use later

The Thing is basically the last survivor of the 'street-smart tough Jewish kid from the Bronx' stereotype.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Angry Salami posted:

The Thing is basically the last survivor of the 'street-smart tough Jewish kid from the Bronx' stereotype.

what about Bernie Sanders?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cloks posted:

what about Bernie Sanders?

He's from Brooklyn.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone read new Secret Invasion comic? Big fan of North, but forgot he was writing this one.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

glitchwraith posted:

Just as I'd accepted the She-Hulk comic was a chill, romance story without the usual super hero plots.... BAM! Plot progression! Really oddly paced comic, but I don't regret sticking it out so far. Curious to see where it goes next.

Another fine issue, but the inclusion of Victor and Doombot does pour salt in the Runaways wound...

Angry Salami posted:

Hellboy? The Goon? Neither of them are Jewish but they both feel like takes on Ben Grimm in ways that, say, Concrete, does not.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Inkspot posted:

Another fine issue, but the inclusion of Victor and Doombot does pour salt in the Runaways wound...

Hellboy? The Goon? Neither of them are Jewish but they both feel like takes on Ben Grimm in ways that, say, Concrete, does not.

I need to go back to that Runaways run. Seemed decent from what little I had read and heard about it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Easily the best since BKV/Alphona. If you don't mind She-Hulk's meandering pace in favor of strong character moments, you'll love it. If you don't mind that it peters out before actually sticking any kind of landing, like every single run since BKV/Alphona and... I suppose... Whedon... then you'll really love it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Apparently Ryan North is writing a new secret invasion story. I guess every live action adaption needs a tie-in in the comics universe which retreats the ground. Those Skrulls are kind of bad at this whole impersonation thing.
What did they expect to happen when they impersonated Nick Fury to talk to Maria Hill? Those two probably share an assortment of specialized and rotating verification codes for every situation they might see each other ranging from meeting with the president to a karaoke bar crawl. Admit ably Maria is a overconfident with regards to that, but it certainly wasn't framed as if that was the intended outcome either.

That bit of stupidity aside (there was a chance it could work.) it seems like a cool start of a series. Who do you guys think is the Avengers imposter?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

cant cook creole bream posted:

That bit of stupidity aside (there was a chance it could work.) it seems like a cool start of a series. Who do you guys think is the Avengers imposter?

Probably Iron Man, since he tells everyone to take five for no reason at all other than to monologue in front of a mirror.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I thought Iron Man was a hologram.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gripweed posted:

I thought Iron Man was a hologram.
I think that's about three years ago now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think that's about three years ago now.

oh he got better?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

oh he got better?

It is comics, after all. It turns out that he revived himself with Science!™ But made it clear that he totally can't do that again for reasons so we can all pretend that death actually matters at all (for non-mutants)

Then had an existential crisis for a bit because he's apparently basically a clone? But that was a really bad run so I don't like to think about it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 6, 2022

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Are his parents still his parents or was that a fever dream I had?

Like I thought his dad was still Howard Stark until I read … I think it was Invincible Iron Man? And it turned out his dad wasn’t his dad and his mom was alive and she was the keen business mogul and it was all very comic book nonsensy feeling.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, he's still secretly adopted. it doesn't really matter much now.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Has there been a good Iron Man run since Matt Fraction?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hadji murad posted:

Has there been a good Iron Man run since Matt Fraction?

Bendis was decent, and the recent Cantwell run was fun at the start at least. I stopped reading it after issue sixish, but not for any fault of the comic.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Gillen's is not bad but it's not his best work, and I liked the Cantwell series very much.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the Cantwell run was fairly entertaining, and co-starred Patsy Walker

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I mean, Tony did recently take Frog Man into space. So there's that at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Bendis was decent, and the recent Cantwell run was fun at the start at least. I stopped reading it after issue sixish, but not for any fault of the comic.

Oh yeah I liked Bendis’ run too. Haven’t finished Cantwells yet.