Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

No, like I mean, the evade signal pops right as I knock one goon down, but the attacker is still a bit too far for the evade button to lock onto him, and in the second that I wait for him to get in range before hitting the counter, my combo drops. It's fun and I'll get the old muscle memory to come back, but I was playing spider-man and ghost of tsushima recently which are both way more forgiving in combo retention.

Like others are fond of saying, Arkham is more or less a rhythm game. Can't let the beat... drrrrrroppp!

Spider-Man is more forgiving because there's a lot more movement involved, especially up to different levels, the enemies don't surround you, and there's more freedom for setting up moves and traps and using gadgets with delayed reactions. But those games also make some strange decisions as to what counts toward the combo or not. As a professional combo-maintainer in those games it's frustrating how certain objects and special powers or gadgets don't count ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Open Marriage Night posted:

Babs is definitely my favorite. Lot of strategic hacking skills to add flavor to a solid brawler.

I’m surprised how much I’ve been enjoying Red Hood. Shooting and grabbing is the name of his game, but he also hits like a truck.

Nightwing I’m still working on, but seems like he’ll be a lot of fun after I upgrade his nest ability, and get better at maneuvering around the battlefield.

Once you unlock and earn that Knighthood ability that extends his combo you get the sweet breakdancing/drunken master twirling kick move that is so satisfying to use.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I wish I understood the stealth in this game. Every time I try to engage with it in those big rooms, no matter how careful or observant I am, it goes sideways so fast.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

King of Solomon posted:

I wish I understood the stealth in this game. Every time I try to engage with it in those big rooms, no matter how careful or observant I am, it goes sideways so fast.

I haven't played around with it too much but there's something I'm doing wrong or not quite getting as well. Like sometimes when I trigger something environmentally or on an enemy everyone will get alerted into combat mode. Should I not have done that? Are enemies more observant, like I can't just be above them I also have to be truly out of line-of-sight of everyone?

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I'm surprised with how much I'm enjoying GK so far, but holy poo poo are the boss fights embarrassingly bad.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Has anyone run it on steam deck

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
interested in hearing more about the stealth gameplay before purchasing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I finally played as Red Hood last night and I had a blast. I wandered jnto an enemy stronghold and just corralled everyone into one hallway and started shooting and punching. It was awesome.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lobok posted:

I haven't played around with it too much but there's something I'm doing wrong or not quite getting as well. Like sometimes when I trigger something environmentally or on an enemy everyone will get alerted into combat mode. Should I not have done that? Are enemies more observant, like I can't just be above them I also have to be truly out of line-of-sight of everyone?

One thing is try not to stealth knock out people while they are talking to each other. They tend to notice when the person they were talking with suddenly stops for no reason and check it out.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah enemies are definitely more aware of poo poo going on around them, unless they're sufficiently distracted (e.g. gang members too busy dancing to loud music or trying to saw open an ATM)

Also Batgirl's ghost upgrade is ridiculous and I love it

edit: really hope they upgrade the terrible transmog system in the next update because woof, what a clunker

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm slightly annoyed that Jason seems to be the only one that gets an outfit that is just straight up his look from the comics. Nightwing's basic outfit is close, but I always feel that the panel-y look for Nightwing misses the point, and also makes a lot of the jokes about Dick's rear end fall flat. And Batgirl's is definitely trying for the Burnside era look, but doesn't want to commit so you end up feeling a little short-changed. But Jason's Year One outfit is literally just the Red Hood outfit right off the page.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

I'm slightly annoyed that Jason seems to be the only one that gets an outfit that is just straight up his look from the comics. Nightwing's basic outfit is close, but I always feel that the panel-y look for Nightwing misses the point, and also makes a lot of the jokes about Dick's rear end fall flat. And Batgirl's is definitely trying for the Burnside era look, but doesn't want to commit so you end up feeling a little short-changed. But Jason's Year One outfit is literally just the Red Hood outfit right off the page.

The Knightwatch suits are the comic book looks but of course they locked those out of the main game. They only come with the special editions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soonmot posted:

interested in hearing more about the stealth gameplay before purchasing.

Basically imagine Arkham Asylum stealth gameplay. (Not the later games.) Except you have reduced options unless you are Robin.

It can be hilariously overpowered (especially Robin) but it's not super fun on its own.

Edit: That said I find it shines best in co-op because one character being detected doesn't mean both are. That means one guy can be fighting people while the other is picking them off from stealth. This only works really well for Robin because he can stealth-takedown the large miniboss enemies but it can be genuinely enjoyable to effectively have Batgirl tanking while Robin is winnowing down the actual threats.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Batgirl is also a pretty good stealth partner because she can overload her partner, shock enemy gear, and blow up electrical panels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There have been several nights in the city when I didn't go back to the Belfry until I had cleared all the premeditated crimes but I guess I wasn't *actually* ever doing it until last night, when a trophy popped for stopping all premeditated crimes in a night. I guess it's good to do some interrogating at least once per faction to hopefully catch all the crimes that are supposed to happen in a night.

There are also some other tips that would help with that:
- if you AR scan a police van it can reveal some premeditated crimes
- health packs running low are really the main thing that can cut a night short, at least earlier in the game when you may not have much healing or revival capability through abilities, passives, and gear, and to work around that:
-- if a paramedic is helping a citizen, check their ambulance for more health packs
-- you can get a refill of health packs at Thompkins' main spot on the map behind Wayne tower in Otisberg once per night
-- pair up with someone! The most basic way to keep an ally alive is Revive but they might also have things you don't to keep healing you so you don't need to use your health packs as much

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1585291423938940928

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's been pointed out that this is not dissimilar to the folks who left right before Avengers dropped to its... acclaim.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, it's basically always a red flag when high up people leave before a game launch. Usually directors or Lead X Designer. The Co-Founders is a very bad sign.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

This is being framed as a completely amicable departure, but I would go out on a limb to guess that SS:KtJL is not the game that Hill and Walker (and probably a lot of other folks at Rocksteady) had wanted to make to follow up Arkham Knight. Wonder if we'll get the full story, but it's pretty safe to say that their original post-Arkham Knight project was cancelled; remember that WB Montreal was developing their own Suicide Squad game at one point, which wasn't axed until late 2016. seems like WB mismanaged both studios behind the Arkham games pretty badly, given their lack of output.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There have been two movies about the Suicide Squad and an adjacent TV series and I guess you can toss in Birds of Prey as a semi spin off of the first movie... All those made before this game has come out and it has zero momentum with outdated character concepts.

It's gonna be so bad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was there some other game cancelled in the meantime? There's no way they've been working on a single game for seven years and all it is is Suicide Squad.

Edit: first announced in 2020 but even assuming they were working on it well before the announcement I'm not sure what they were doing in the years after Arkham.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nothing announced, but it is very safe to bet that Rocksteady had a game or two go into some level of production before being cancelled. They basically skipped all of the previous generation besides Arkham Knight landing a year and a half in. It's very likely Suicide Squad will be their only Unreal 4 game with whatever coming next going to UE5, even.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The word was they had at least a few projects started and canceled until they finally locked in Suicide Squad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not atypical for a studio to have a few prototypes and pitches enter development between major projects.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm not going to play this one but they gave me a code on the infinite app, not sure if it's unique or for subscribers but here you go

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aphrodite posted:

The word was they had at least a few projects started and canceled until they finally locked in Suicide Squad.

It was very heavily rumored for years that they were working on a Superman game but could never quite crack the gameplay design nut so it was quietly killed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, and if the rumours are to be believed, WB Montreal had a Suicide Squad game and a Damian Wayne Batman game cancelled before this one. I'm kinda curious if we'll hear about the development for these games, it sounds like it was... troubled.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Damien Wayne as Batman or Damien Wayne & Batman? The latter sounds like it would be Good of War in capes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the rumor was it was Damian as future Batman like how he appeared in Morrison's run.

But yeah, I'm almost positive that they were working on a Superman game and had to shelve it for whatever reason. I have no faith that Suicide Squad is gonna be good.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I'm not going to play this one but they gave me a code on the infinite app, not sure if it's unique or for subscribers but here you go

Just used this! Thank you! :)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How's the new bike skin look? I haven't opened my book yet to get the code. Been taking a break for a day or two after binging the game hard.

The co-op is such a fun little time waster.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

How's the new bike skin look? I haven't opened my book yet to get the code. Been taking a break for a day or two after binging the game hard.

The co-op is such a fun little time waster.

It's actually pretty cool. Reminds me of an insect with the huge arm things on the front tires.

The skin is exclusive to the comic though so you have to buy it or get it from someone who has it. I wonder if they'll do a DLC pack with it sometime.

EDIT: Oh my God I'm reading Tim's emails and there's one from "Dr. Q" in it and it references Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby".

Also Dick bitching about someone eating his pizza and the resulting email chain is the best email I've read so far. I hope these continue long after the story is done.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 27, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

catlord posted:

Yeah, and if the rumours are to be believed, WB Montreal had a Suicide Squad game and a Damian Wayne Batman game cancelled before this one. I'm kinda curious if we'll hear about the development for these games, it sounds like it was... troubled.

Yeah, I think Montreal was probably working on a Suicide Squad game after Arkham Origins. Both of the Origins games had post credits scenes of Waller recruiting one of the bosses.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Veotax posted:

Yeah, I think Montreal was probably working on a Suicide Squad game after Arkham Origins. Both of the Origins games had post credits scenes of Waller recruiting one of the bosses.

"Both" of them? I thought there was just one.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There was a sidescroller one made by a studio that had some ex-Retro Studios people at it. Only came to Vita and PC I think.
It wasn't very good.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Red Hood is fun and brutal, the game needs a bit more walls to smash people into.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Veotax posted:

There was a sidescroller one made by a studio that had some ex-Retro Studios people at it. Only came to Vita and PC I think.
It wasn't very good.

Arkham Origins Blackgate. And it’s not terrible. It’s 2.5D/pseudo-side scroller that plays more like a metroidvania.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Veotax posted:

It wasn't very good.

It was on a lot of systems, even the 3DS! I never finished it though. Might throw it on my 2DS and try again, but probably not

Oh, a note about GK's time trials—you don't actually have to hit every ring. I missed one on Batgirl's first and I still beat it. Just gotta reach the finish in time. gimme that purple bike goddammit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PC patch for Gotham Knights came out. Coming soon:

https://twitter.com/GothamKnights/status/1585412475901517824?s=20&t=0XcY6g7nTRZxRstiUH-7CQ

https://twitter.com/GothamKnights/status/1585412479294709762?s=20&t=0XcY6g7nTRZxRstiUH-7CQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Not sure this is the thread for it, but anyone else playing Marvel Snap? I've been having a lot of fun with it.