Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The problem with the backtracking is that the levels are a mix of dense, interconnected sections and long, linear paths (some of which are only navigable in one direction). The former is more interesting to explore and it's fun to see things from a new angle or work out a new route.

In conclusion Kashyyyk is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Torrannor posted:

The map was really, really good. Easily showing unexplored paths, clearly marking for now unusable parts in red, and parts that opened up because you got a new ability in green. That was seriously great, it helped a ton in navigating the world. It would have been nice if it had also marked chests that you interacted with, but that you couldn't open yet. But that's a minor issue.

Cool takes apart from this! The maps were loving horrendous! There were parts of them I couldn't figure out how to get to and sometimes it took me 30 years getting back to the Mantis. It was fine just playing through the campaign but going back for completion was baaad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Don't forget that JJ Abrams doesn't give a poo poo about coherence or fleshing out a plot, in favour of his ridiculous mystery box philosophy his child mind created that he seems to think is some deep and meaningful method of telling a story.

He says he "learned the hard way" that a trilogy really should have an outline before it's embarked upon. How this man keeps getting work I don't know. Apart from Star Wars, his moronic handling of Star Trek is also abysmal.

He has a "talent" at making extremely "smooth" movies/shows that just glide over your brain in such a way that it feels like time is being sped up and you finish the movie/show just feeling sort of dazed and can't remember anything.

He's very indicative of the worst sort of trends in modern media IMO

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cool takes apart from this! The maps were loving horrendous! There were parts of them I couldn't figure out how to get to and sometimes it took me 30 years getting back to the Mantis. It was fine just playing through the campaign but going back for completion was baaad.

They meant the interactive map ingame.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Fuzz posted:

They meant the interactive map ingame.

Me too, sorry I wasn't clear.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Doom Eternal has a neat system where, after you cleared the final boss or encounter in a level, you get notified that you can now fast travel back through the level if you want to hunt down secrets or upgrades or whatever before you move on. I feel like something similar would have worked in FO.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Ytlaya posted:

He has a "talent" at making extremely "smooth" movies/shows that just glide over your brain in such a way that it feels like time is being sped up and you finish the movie/show just feeling sort of dazed and can't remember anything.

He's very indicative of the worst sort of trends in modern media IMO

This is the real problem. The trilogy not having an outline wasn't the problem--both because the original trilogy didn't, and because there was outlining already done. Kylo's redemption was something settled on as far back as 2014, and that was clearly a dumb idea as early as Episode 7. And each movie wasn't made in blind boxes, each writer and director had access to the scripts of the movies that were following them early into or even before filming. The original script for Episode 9 was completed in 2017, and 8 was setting itself up as a bridge to it (and it subsequently wasn't used when higher-ups demanded Palpatine's inclusion, giving Abrams even more work to do in a short filming period).

There just isn't cohesion to the things Abrams makes if they have more than one moving part. So much of the philosophy brought to those movies was wanting to have this or that setpiece and bending everything else around it, whether it fit the film or fit their shooting. There are some interesting ideas and themes in Abrams's and Terrio's original outline for 9, and none of them made it into the movie--but the horses they wanted did.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Jedi: Fallen Order was a fantastic first attempt. Honestly, I'm looking forward the FO2, and I'm looking forward to the 'Directors Cut' of Fallen Order that backports the inevitable QoL improvements made in FO2.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I think what I want most out of Fallen Order 2 would be some reason to explore beyond trying to complete an extremely dull cosmetic collection. You never really see your lightsaber so closely, and it's hard to feel excited or interested in what outfit you just unlocked when they're each simplistic recolors of a drab poncho. Even if Cal really did rock that poncho.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I bought the lego BD-1. He's pretty neat. Haven't put any lego together in over a decade.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I want more Metroid prime in my fallen order. Reward exploration with health/ammo/weapons/whatever. It's fine if people who don't explore are mechanically disadvantaged instead of just dressed uglier!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Instead of a second lightsaber give Cal a gun imo. No need to turn it into a shooter or anything, just have it as an extra tool in his arsenal so he can pop stormtrooper grunts from a distance, or fold it into Force combos, or use it to keep Force-wielding enemies distracted while he closes in with his saber.

Sick gunslinger spins while holstering mandatory, of course.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

Instead of a second lightsaber give Cal a gun imo. No need to turn it into a shooter or anything, just have it as an extra tool in his arsenal so he can pop stormtrooper grunts from a distance, or fold it into Force combos, or use it to keep Force-wielding enemies distracted while he closes in with his saber.

Go full-on Dark Forces. The light saber is a cool and powerful weapon, but sometimes you just gotta lob grenades at a fool.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think you need that for this franchise, but I am 100% in favor of Star Wars: Just Cause -- give me a jetpack, an open world, and a hundred different guns and vehicles to waste Imperial bases with and I'm a happy camper.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

You may be getting your wish, below is the Cal action figure for Jedi Survivor

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't think you need that for this franchise, but I am 100% in favor of Star Wars: Just Cause -- give me a jetpack, an open world, and a hundred different guns and vehicles to waste Imperial bases with and I'm a happy camper.

I’d play the living hell out of that.

Hell, give me a modern version of Galactic Conquest from the original Battlefront games.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't think you need that for this franchise, but I am 100% in favor of Star Wars: Just Cause -- give me a jetpack,

...they fly now :suicide:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Better not go around any force users if you're using the jetpack, though. If I learned anything from the Force Unleashed games, it's that Cal would instantly be sent comedically spiraling out of control until his pack blew up if an enemy force user saw him.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

Oh sick, I like that outfit a hell of a lot more than his Fallen Order duds too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

fartknocker posted:

Hell, give me a modern version of Galactic Conquest from the original Battlefront games.

Empire at War kinda scratches that itch for me, but it's an RTS rather than a FPS. For a 15-year-old game it has an incredible mod scene too. My personal favorites are Fall of the Republic, which covers the Clone Wars, and Thrawn's Revenge, which covers the post-Endor period in the old Legends continuity.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ninjahedgehog posted:

Empire at War kinda scratches that itch for me, but it's an RTS rather than a FPS. For a 15-year-old game it has an incredible mod scene too. My personal favorites are Fall of the Republic, which covers the Clone Wars, and Thrawn's Revenge, which covers the post-Endor period in the old Legends continuity.

Oh yeah, I’ve played the hell out of that too. I loved the (IIRC) Republic at War mod that did Clone Wars.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

I thought he wasn’t wearing sleeves for a second and got concerned.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Rewatched Castlevania recently, where are my exotic light-weapons? Lightwhips, lightmorningstars, lightsickles, etc. Or the more traditional variants, lightaxes, lightspears, lighthalberds, and so on? Come on, Disney, give me more variety!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ninjahedgehog posted:

They're already ripping off Sekiro so just take the offhand pistols from Bloodborne

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Rewatched Castlevania recently, where are my exotic light-weapons? Lightwhips, lightmorningstars, lightsickles, etc. Or the more traditional variants, lightaxes, lightspears, lighthalberds, and so on? Come on, Disney, give me more variety!

There's a bunch of variations out there, but none of them really appear that often:

Lightwhip - Probably one of the more common lightsaber variations, but for some reason only women are ever seen using it.

Lightclub - basically just a regular lightsaber scaled for larger species.

Dual Phase lightsaber with long blade - a couple of characters from the EU had these, and I think they retconned Vader into having one to explain the movies using prop blades of inconsistent length.

Lightsaber Gauntlet - Designed for Episode 3, but never implemented. I think it made it into a couple of toys though.

Lightsaber Tonfa - reverse grip lightsabers were all the rage in the late 2000's, which prompted the creation of the tonfa saber.

Lightsaber Pike - This has appeared semi-frequently as the weapons of various Force-using guards (especially in video games), but also had this version designed as Darth Bane's weapon for an episode of Clone Wars where his ghost appeared (though the weapon didn't).

Helicopter Lightsaber - based on a spinning General Grievous lightsaber toy, it eventually made it into actual Star Wars lore as the weapons of the Inquisitors.
https://i.imgur.com/yoiqBwW.mp4

Lightsaber Rifle - used by the librarian from Attack of the Clones when Vader returned to the Jedi Temple to plunder its archives.

Lightsaber Axe - hasn't really appeared outside of the current tabletop RPG

Sickle-bladed lightsaber - designed for a character who appeared in a short story collection. I don't think she even uses a lightsaber in the story, but it was apparently a late request to be added to the illustration, so they might have plans for it down the line.

Lightsaber Umbrella - appeared in Star Wars Visions. The blade runs up the length of the handle, and then splits at the top.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I would both love and hate it if Cal got one of those stupid helicopter sabers as a new traversal mechanic.

Most of the other variants always just seem bland, I guess the whip is the one I'd pick if something new is added.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah there were a bunch of points in the game where I felt it was silly Cal didn't have a blaster, just for things like attracting attention or shooting large, stationary targets.

Especially given we see Cere with one later.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also Ezra Bridger's lightsaber in Rebels. It had some kind of gun built into it, but I think it was only some kind of stun shot, not the full power of a blaster. There might've been some kind of directive that Ezra couldn't have a "real" gun so long as he was a kid. Like before he built his saber he had some kind of lovely slingshot thing.

I'm fine with Cal not getting a gun so long as the game stays gameplay-driven.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

But why do that when you can climb highlighted ledges and shimmy through narrow passageways like unfarted

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's also Ezra Bridger's lightsaber in Rebels. It had some kind of gun built into it, but I think it was only some kind of stun shot, not the full power of a blaster. There might've been some kind of directive that Ezra couldn't have a "real" gun so long as he was a kid.
I'm pretty certain it's that, for the same reason that Omega in Bad Batch has a bow and not a blaster.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

:flaccid:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I don’t want a shooter but it would be cool to just hit Triangle/Y every now and then and blast a fool.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I don’t want a shooter but it would be cool to just hit Triangle/Y every now and then and blast a fool.

Nailing one of those dual baton wielding purge troopers between the eyes, Indiana Jones style.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Cross-Section posted:

I don’t understand, where is the pink poncho??? It’s a fookin’ disgrace.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The sequel needs much more variety in hidden cosmetic collectable, also every one of them should be pink

topside1246
Apr 9, 2019

Jesus I leave for two years and I come back to this thread having exploded. Probably my most notable thread on SA lol.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Welcome back!

It's a great game!, which deserves a good thread. I just wish that your OP was still current, because that would mean the next game would come out next month.

topside1246
Apr 9, 2019

Torrannor posted:

Welcome back!

It's a great game!, which deserves a good thread. I just wish that your OP was still current, because that would mean the next game would come out next month.

Yeah I was legitimately surprised to learn that they were making a sequel to it. Especially considering EA's predominant attitude towards singleplayer games. But in the time I was gone, they did remaster the original C&C games and announced a remake of the original Dead Space, which is set to release in January. So maybe someone at EA actually doesn't have their head up their rear end regarding anything that isn't heavily-monetized multiplayer looter-shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
these aren’t ponchos???

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1599789411801055232?s=46&t=RBK8PXZT-TeyyI4UL2cimA

March 15th!!!