Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

There is no such thing as building a world series roster, there is building a playoff roster and then hoping for the best, the playoffs are completely random.

It's even more chaotic now with the third WC. Best-of-five series are extremely noisy, let alone best-of-three. Unless MLB responds to so many 100+ win teams getting bounced early by changing up the format again, the playoffs as currently constructed are an unmitigated bloodbath until the CS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm glad that Judge demonstrated he's a small time K machine loser to drive home how the true MVP is Our Perfect Boy Shohei

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I know the first things players say after winning the World Series is "Boy we sure got lucky!"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The only factor that is more important than luck in the playoffs is Rousing Rain Delay Speeches.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/1585331122652659712?s=20&t=u7UmPYmidN1NvSEtMco7iA

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They just don't want it enough. Gotta get guys that want it instead of guys that don't want it.

the sabermetric way of looking at it would be wTWTW+

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

This one doesn't pass the smell test

posted:

The gap between industry and fan perceptions of Cashman and Boone is particularly striking. Rivals consider Cashman one of the greatest executives in sports, and say that Boone will immediately become a coveted free agent if the Yankees fire him. Other GMs and agents are genuinely baffled by fan hate toward those two.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
As a neutral observer I'd be pretty annoyed as Yankee fan, having watched them squander Judge's prime by surrounding him with castoffs. Relying on Matt Carpenter, Aaron Hicks and Josh Donaldson in the year 2022 is pretty weak for a franchise like that.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cashman is really good at fleecing other GM's for relievers, but when it comes to making deals he SHOULD make for top talent he always balks at the price and trades for an obvious lesser pitcher who doesn't really make a difference or they end up sucking rear end like Sonny Gray and JA Happ, OR they don't want to bump the luxury tax to get someone.

The only reason they ended up with Stanton is because he basically forced himself there by saying he didn't want to play for the Cardinals and Miami is paying part of his salary

Ace Jameson posted:

As a neutral observer I'd be pretty annoyed as Yankee fan, having watched them squander Judge's prime by surrounding him with castoffs. Relying on Matt Carpenter, Aaron Hicks and Josh Donaldson in the year 2022 is pretty weak for a franchise like that.

Hicks is another one that has to go too, but he is Cashmans guy. The trade they got him in was a good trade, but then Cashman got greedy and gave him a big extension thinking he was going to keep being a 125 OPS+ bat playing CF and well..

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 26, 2022

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Bad sign cause this quote is exclusively invoked by men who are doing something extremely stupid
https://twitter.com/wearyhobo/status/1585020340362682385

Back in 18/19 at my hs alumni game I saw Skip strikeout on 3 pitches against a high schooler who's now in the Marlins org lol. Baseball rules

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

MrMidnight posted:

I know the first things players say after winning the World Series is "Boy we sure got lucky!"
Well, sure. Can happily acknowledge my team's successes are based solely on its strengths and weaknesses. Every other series? Basically an RNG.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gorman Thomas posted:

Back in 18/19 at my hs alumni game I saw Skip strikeout on 3 pitches against a high schooler who's now in the Marlins org lol. Baseball rules
Who was the pitcher

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who was the pitcher

Pretty sure it was Evan Fitterer, he spent 2022 in high A Beloit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes i saw him pitch in the FSL once

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

They booed their guy who had 211 OPS+ during the regular season because he went 0-8 in the first 2 games of the ALDS. I can't imagine why no one would want to play for them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They booed their guy who had 211 OPS+ during the regular season because he went 0-8 in the first 2 games of the ALDS. I can't imagine why no one would want to play for them.

Again Aaron Judge is a weak minded loser who can't deal with the very normal expectations of Yankee fans.

Also please come back to the Yankees Aaron, why would you want to play for anyone else??

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrMidnight posted:

I mean they should. Luck certainly has more to do with it than God who is often the first guy they thank.

Nodoze posted:

Hicks is another one that has to go too, but he is Cashmans guy. The trade they got him in was a good trade, but then Cashman got greedy and gave him a big extension thinking he was going to keep being a 125 OPS+ bat playing CF and well..

I think Hicks is done. I think Cashman stuck with him a season more than most would have. But from the second they picked up two OFers at the deadline I think Cashman had finally accepted Hicks wasn't gonna put it together. Its tough because obviously injuries denied him a clean chance for a long time but as I said, I think Cashman was stubborn and stuck with it longer than most and while I can understand why I also think its fair to call Hicks and that stubborness as a Cashman mistake.

I think people are completely rewriting the IKF/Donaldson acquisitions. There was never any kind of secret belief that they were gonna have breakout offensive years. The Yankees' stated message was always that they "had enough power" and were trying to improve their defense and base running. And I think by numbers and the eye test they did both of those things and IKF and Donaldson were part of that. Now do you want guys who aren't defensive/baserunning liabilities but also aren't liabilities at the plate? Of course. But Donaldson and IKF were always obviously stop gaps. IKF in particular was clearly an active choice not to sign one of the bigger SS to a multi year deal to keep the space open for Cabrera/Peraza/Volte.

Is Cashman wrong for preserving a spot for some highly touted prospects or for not going all in on this season? I don't know. That feels simplistic to me. The team won 99 games and no matter what cherry picking and framing people do to say that the games they won were less than the games they lost that doesn't make sense to me. I think the moves they made largely worked out to improve the team. That doesn't mean they can't be improved more. It doesn't mean they shouldn't have been improved more. But I think there's a lot of dishonest hyperbole going around.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MrMidnight posted:

The difference between the Cubs having broken their historic drought and now being 114 years without a title or whatever is - among other things - an inning where Chapman was put back out after the Davis HR despite being completely and utterly gassed, and three straight Cleveland hitters couldn't square up hanging sliders right down the middle. Also the last AB of the game was Montgomery vs Michael Martinez, the last guy on Cleveland's bench and a journeyman washout who the Cubs literally didn't have a scouting report for because who the hell would give Michael Martinez a postseason AB, and per Montero his chat with Montgomery was basically "idk throw a bunch of curveballs I guess, hopefully he hits one on the ground for an out."

The luck factor in the postseason is absolutely a thing.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Michael Martinez taking the last AB because he had been a defensive replacement for Coco Crisp, who had gotten a bunch of big hits in the playoffs for Cleveland, is one of those things that will be burned into my brain until Cleveland actually wins one or I die.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

The difference between the Cubs having broken their historic drought and now being 114 years without a title or whatever is - among other things - an inning where Chapman was put back out after the Davis HR despite being completely and utterly gassed, and three straight Cleveland hitters couldn't square up hanging sliders right down the middle. Also the last AB of the game was Montgomery vs Michael Martinez, the last guy on Cleveland's bench and a journeyman washout who the Cubs literally didn't have a scouting report for because who the hell would give Michael Martinez a postseason AB, and per Montero his chat with Montgomery was basically "idk throw a bunch of curveballs I guess, hopefully he hits one on the ground for an out."

As good an excuse as any to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2nFc1Ps5xA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

This one doesn't pass the smell test

Boone is a terrible manager but I don't think a manager has that much impact on games. Obviously Cashman built the team and the organization that isn't working but it's just funny that the Yankees with all their resources have to have a net negative at manager. Or maybe they think Boone is a good manager and are even bigger fools than I thought they were.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

MLB N/V Offseason : one mcmagic after another

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Boone led the Yankees to being bounced from the ALCS like the loser bums they are yet the Phillies fired Girardi (objectively better pinstripe manager than Boone The Bum) and Rob Thomson took them to the WS idk seems like managers have an impact!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I mean they should. Luck certainly has more to do with it than God who is often the first guy they thank.

I think Hicks is done. I think Cashman stuck with him a season more than most would have. But from the second they picked up two OFers at the deadline I think Cashman had finally accepted Hicks wasn't gonna put it together. Its tough because obviously injuries denied him a clean chance for a long time but as I said, I think Cashman was stubborn and stuck with it longer than most and while I can understand why I also think its fair to call Hicks and that stubborness as a Cashman mistake.

I think people are completely rewriting the IKF/Donaldson acquisitions. There was never any kind of secret belief that they were gonna have breakout offensive years. The Yankees' stated message was always that they "had enough power" and were trying to improve their defense and base running. And I think by numbers and the eye test they did both of those things and IKF and Donaldson were part of that. Now do you want guys who aren't defensive/baserunning liabilities but also aren't liabilities at the plate? Of course. But Donaldson and IKF were always obviously stop gaps. IKF in particular was clearly an active choice not to sign one of the bigger SS to a multi year deal to keep the space open for Cabrera/Peraza/Volte.

Is Cashman wrong for preserving a spot for some highly touted prospects or for not going all in on this season? I don't know. That feels simplistic to me. The team won 99 games and no matter what cherry picking and framing people do to say that the games they won were less than the games they lost that doesn't make sense to me. I think the moves they made largely worked out to improve the team. That doesn't mean they can't be improved more. It doesn't mean they shouldn't have been improved more. But I think there's a lot of dishonest hyperbole going around.

IKF in a vacuum was fine. They believe in the two kids they have and they didn't want to commit long term at the position and block them, that's good. Sticking with him all year ehhh maybe not. Benching and unbenching him in the playoffs, and you can blame that on Boone I guess, was real stupid.

Donaldson was dumb and always dumb IMO, and circles back to not getting Arenado when they could have. Now they are stuck paying 42 million for Donaldson to suck rear end, missed out on Arenado who is a difference maker, and still don't have a 3rd baseman.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sometimes, you try to trade for a player, but other teams offer prospects that the trading team likes better, and so you don't get that player

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nodoze posted:

IKF in a vacuum was fine. They believe in the two kids they have and they didn't want to commit long term at the position and block them, that's good. Sticking with him all year ehhh maybe not. Benching and unbenching him in the playoffs, and you can blame that on Boone I guess, was real stupid.

Donaldson was dumb and always dumb IMO, and circles back to not getting Arenado when they could have. Now they are stuck paying 42 million for Donaldson to suck rear end, missed out on Arenado who is a difference maker, and still don't have a 3rd baseman.
They've still got DJ LeMahieu who probably should just stop being the super sub especially with Cabrera on the roster now. Obviously his health is a concern and something has to be done with Donaldson either way. I think its safe to say that the Yankees got what they wanted from him defensively but hoped he wouldn't be so bad offensively. He really fell off a cliff this season. I don't think he showed enough to want to just say "give him a chance to rebound". He is afterall 36 (and an rear end in a top hat). Maybe you could put him on the bench as backup for DJLM and see how it goes. And to some extent I'd prefer just a stable 3B, moving past Donaldson, and finding space for DJLM at 2B/1B. But there's a lot of moving parts. I wouldn't be surprised if Donaldson gets shopped though as Cashman loves trying to find hidden gems.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

They've still got DJ LeMahieu who probably should just stop being the super sub especially with Cabrera on the roster now. Obviously his health is a concern and something has to be done with Donaldson either way. I think its safe to say that the Yankees got what they wanted from him defensively but hoped he wouldn't be so bad offensively. He really fell off a cliff this season. I don't think he showed enough to want to just say "give him a chance to rebound". He is afterall 36 (and an rear end in a top hat). Maybe you could put him on the bench as backup for DJLM and see how it goes. And to some extent I'd prefer just a stable 3B, moving past Donaldson, and finding space for DJLM at 2B/1B. But there's a lot of moving parts. I wouldn't be surprised if Donaldson gets shopped though as Cashman loves trying to find hidden gems.

Donaldson as a bench player would be tying up a lot of money for a team that doesn't really want to go over the luxury tax. Playing DJ at 3rd is fine, assuming he can healthy anyway

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its not like you can just get someone else to pay Donaldson. He's either on the team and the Yankees pay 100% of what's owed, or he's off the team and they pay 90-95% of what's owed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

They would need to eat basically all of Donaldson's money for 2023 if they trade him. You think they want to do that?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

This reminded me of the Kipnis foul ball in the 9th that the Fox cameras followed like it was a no-doubt dinger and my blood pressure just shot up 20 points

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Yeah but the Cubs were also the best team in baseball all year so they deserved the luck :colbert:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yankees need a quarantine thread

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Pussy Boss posted:

Sometimes, you try to trade for a player, but other teams offer prospects that the trading team likes better, and so you don't get that player

*looks at the return the Rockies got for Arenado*

hm

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Pujols should come back too but not Yadi

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

mcmagic posted:

So the reason the Yankees keep losing to the same teams in the playoffs the same way is just pure luck? That reeks of bullshit.

Given enough chances they'll eventually lose to the Twins too, so that would be new!

Intruder posted:

*looks at the return the Rockies got for Arenado*

hm

Key word here is "Rockies"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Given enough chances they'll eventually lose to the Twins too, so that would be new!

I really think the Yankees issues with the Astros is karmic payback for their ownership of the Twins.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
McMagic is right and the correct analogy for this Yankees team is the Harden Rockets.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Cleveland probably wins the 2016 World Series handily if Carrasco hadn't had his hand broken on a comebacker in some nothing game a couple weeks before the playoffs. Having him takes massive stress off the rest of the main 4 pitchers (Kluber, Miller, Allen and Shaw) on top of having a really great #2 pitcher instead of Tomlin and loving Bauer.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

"I’m an Astro, bro," Reggie Jackson, a special advisor to Houston owner Jim Crane, told Mark Berman of Fox 26 last week at Minute Maid Park. "The pinstripes get heavy sometimes."

oof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

"I’m an Astro, bro," Reggie Jackson, a special advisor to Houston owner Jim Crane, told Mark Berman of Fox 26 last week at Minute Maid Park. "The pinstripes get heavy sometimes."

oof

Reggie was always kind of a shithead.