Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I will say I'm hoping for a Mindslaver ban because gently caress that card already but gently caress it double in Ashnod's hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you exile someone's commander while mind slaving them you can choose for it not to go back to the command zone, right?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Aphrodite posted:

If you exile someone's commander while mind slaving them you can choose for it not to go back to the command zone, right?

Yes. It's a poo poo card for poo poo people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MasterBuilder posted:

Why not add asmo to tutor cookbook and the oval chase daredevil to get a repeatable card to discard?

I think those are good changes, I thought about that guy, but I think he's kind of an annoying meme tbh. But I might throw him in just to grab the cookbook. It might be better than goofing around with dwarves though.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If Muldrotha being one of the most popular commanders didn't get Mindslaver banned I don't see it happening now. It does seem very anti commander philosophy but so are 100s of legal cards so who knows

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Tarnop posted:

If Muldrotha being one of the most popular commanders didn't get Mindslaver banned I don't see it happening now. It does seem very anti commander philosophy but so are 100s of legal cards so who knows

Commander Philosophy is whatever you stop Sheldon from having a good time with gets banned.

E:

Heath posted:

I will say I'm hoping for a Mindslaver ban because gently caress that card already but gently caress it double in Ashnod's hands

*Playing with Power narration* "So and so presents a loop wherein they do something to create infinite treasures, repeatedly Mindslaver the entire table with Ashnod, and control their opponents for the rest of the game *short pause* and win the game."

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 26, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Batterypowered7 posted:

Commander Philosophy is whatever you stop Sheldon from having a good time with gets banned.

Sheldon runs Mindslaver at casual tables, pass it on

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tarnop posted:

it's a big battlecruiser card that lends itself to combos and which people love to whine about, that seems extremely in-line with Commander "philosophy" imo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

LGD posted:

it's a big battlecruiser card that lends itself to combos and which people love to whine about, that seems extremely in-line with Commander "philosophy" imo

I was going off the stated philosophy on the website but if we're looking at practice rather than preach then yeah, I concede the point.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

Tawnos is gonna be the next time sieve goat, I'm calling it

I don't get this at all. Tivit makes five tokens at once, which fills an entire time sieve. Malcom makes three and is a partner and has other tricks besides. Tawnos makes One token at a time.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Someone smarter than either of us is gonna break the poo poo out of that card, just watch

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

Someone smarter than either of us is gonna break the poo poo out of that card, just watch

If it does, it's through Hullbreaker Horror copies, but the 4 mana, tap, sac 2 tokens makes me really doubtful even that would work.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I guess similar question I posed before about Mono Red commanders, but now about Mono Black.

I watched someone get an explosive start with Tergrid and Memory Jar the table really early (only to lose anyway when they next guy comboed off), and it felt like the kind of stupid thing I'd enjoy. I think that deck also played Professor Onyx + Chain of Smog. K’rrik is obviously powerful, and I watched someone playing Vito to try to win Exquisite Blood. Any other favorites? Tevesh is one, but you play him in conjunction with another Commander.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

I guess similar question I posed before about Mono Red commanders, but now about Mono Black.

I watched someone get an explosive start with Tergrid and Memory Jar the table really early (only to lose anyway when they next guy comboed off), and it felt like the kind of stupid thing I'd enjoy. I think that deck also played Professor Onyx + Chain of Smog. K’rrik is obviously powerful, and I watched someone playing Vito to try to win Exquisite Blood. Any other favorites? Tevesh is one, but you play him in conjunction with another Commander.

Razaketh and Yawgmoth are both pretty comborific and value generating, Trazyn the Infinite from the 40k decks is likely less incidental value but also goes bananas quite easily, for slightly different approach there's also Balthor the Defiled with a more reanimator-focused strategy (though there's a lot of crossover with the previous commanders)

for a more atypical and (semi) honest "kill people by attacking them with creatures" approach there's also Skithiryx infect (which allows you to play fun and otherwise unplayable cards like Hatred)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Imotekh the stormlord is combo bait.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

A 10 mana investment for an effect that doesn't even win the game is not as bad as one would think. It's more a feelbad than anything, but if they have the lock, just concede and go to the next game.

I used to be really stubborn about locks back in my modern days back when Lantern Control was a thing. The sooner you accept that a lock is an inevitable loss, the better off you'll be.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

A 10 mana investment for an effect that doesn't even win the game is not as bad as one would think. It's more a feelbad than anything, but if they have the lock, just concede and go to the next game.

I used to be really stubborn about locks back in my modern days back when Lantern Control was a thing. The sooner you accept that a lock is an inevitable loss, the better off you'll be.

What if you're 1 and 1 and your opponent has you locked out. Would you concede if you knew they wouldn't be able to get the win in before time got called, thus forcing a draw? What if you're on MTGO? Would you force combo players to go through the loop until they kill you, thus making them use up their clock?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

What if you're 1 and 1 and your opponent has you locked out. Would you concede if you knew they wouldn't be able to get the win in before time got called, thus forcing a draw? What if you're on MTGO? Would you force combo players to go through the loop until they kill you, thus making them use up their clock?

If this is specifically about lantern control:

Scenario 1: if it's some kind of big tournament I guess I'd force the draw. If it's just an FNM or something, I value my sanity more than that, scoop.

Scenario 2: I don't play MTGO, but unless there was a big prize on the line, I value my time more than that.

gently caress lantern control specifically, mind: it's not a deterministic lock, which makes it irritating by default since it doesn't really have a way to win outside of forcing the game to its logical conclusion of someone drawing out of cards first (you).

Mindslaver, on the other hand, if looped an infinite number of times, is a pretty hard lock. It's a bit more complicated in edh than it is in modern since you have opponents who can interfere, but if you can see to it that you've always got everyone tapped out and beating each other down, the game is over. In modern, you can just loop taking your opponent's turn infinitely without giving them a chance to interact, in which you either scoop or die in a few turns.

Mindslaver in EDH isn't that great. If you really want to put a chokehold on the game, your good friend Drannith Magistrate or Lavinia combined with Knowledge Pool, Uba Mask, or Possibility Storm will do much better.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

Mindslaver in EDH isn't that great. If you really want to put a chokehold on the game, your good friend Drannith Magistrate or Lavinia combined with Knowledge Pool, Uba Mask, or Possibility Storm will do much better.

Do not speak the cursed words! (Also 3feri and OG Teferi with Possibility Storm/Knowledge Pool)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mindslaver was a table-ruiner a decade ago, but I haven’t seen one at a table in years. It hasn’t been printed for so long that newer players or even players from like 4-5 years ago don’t know it exists.

RE mono-Blak chat: K’rrik rinses every other Black Commander. Yes, my bias is showing, no, it doesn’t matter because I cast every spell in my deck and Giga-Chad the entire table with my Life Lazer!!

Don’t forget about Acererak though, that deck is a meme but it’s a fun meme.

Heath posted:

Yes. It's a poo poo card for poo poo people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is a fuckin TERRIBLE probation and I sincerely wish whoever reported this post to come forward and admit that they are a big lame-o diaper baby. Mindslaver, like Winter Orb or Stasis, is widely regarded to be a rude or troll card. We can’t post about cards being rude or toxic anymore? Wtf? Is this a new rule?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Mindslaver was a table-ruiner a decade ago, but I haven’t seen one at a table in years. It hasn’t been printed for so long that newer players or even players from like 4-5 years ago don’t know it exists.

RE mono-Blak chat: K’rrik rinses every other Black Commander. Yes, my bias is showing, no, it doesn’t matter because I cast every spell in my deck and Giga-Chad the entire table with my Life Lazer!!

Don’t forget about Acererak though, that deck is a meme but it’s a fun meme.

This is a fuckin TERRIBLE probation and I sincerely wish whoever reported this post to come forward and admit that they are a big lame-o diaper baby. Mindslaver, like Winter Orb or Stasis, is widely regarded to be a rude or troll card. We can’t post about cards being rude or toxic anymore? Wtf? Is this a new rule?

K'rrik to eventually go off with Reservoir, right? And Acererak with what, something like Heartless Summoning to only make him cost B and some way to go mana neutral and repeatedly cast him and go through one of the dungeons, pinging the table?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are half a dozen different lines with K’rrik, depending on if you need to go off through Null Rod or Cursed Totem, you can use Chainer & Carrion Feeder & Gary to make loops or nuke the table with a big life drain effect.

Acererak has Heartless Summoning lines but also runs K’rrik to do K’rrik stuff, but IIRC it’s main line is Cloudstone Curio loops.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I have a dumbass Syr Konrad deck that runs Iname, Death Aspect, Conspiracy and Maskwood Nexus for the dumbest combo ever

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It's absolutely toxic of me to say this, but the tightest and most memorable game I ever played was in a tournament back when Stasis was standard-legal (against a Stasis deck). I didn't concede to the soft lock, and after dozens of turns of careful play on both sides, I made my move with about 10 cards left in my deck, barely winning an interaction war with exactly all my mana, and by the turn I drew my last card, I was able to (cumulatively) attack for exactly lethal damage and win. Any earlier and I'd have lost the interaction war, any later and I'd have not been able to push through enough damage.

Basically, close games are good, even if stuff like Mindslaver ends up being win-more when you already have total dominance.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Light MtG Finance: the Gruul 2-drop who scales with X and fights on ETB is seeing legacy play, it’s a rare in the warhammer 40K decks. Could be the next Kappa Cannoneer.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That thing is a powerhouse with Lucea Kane

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm a big fan of X spells that are still good when x=0

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Hello! I have a land/playstyle question for my 5C - Kenrith Turbofog pet deck that I play casually with friends

Mox link below, my questions is however when playing a 5C deck is it better to be able to play all our colors easily or have the ability to ramp into more lands by running more basics?

I don't have shocks or fetches but I'm running all MDFC Pathways and all the Battlebond opponent lands to mitigate things ETB tapped which when with the rest of my lands only leave a few slots for basic lands. I did have more basics in my first list so cards like cultivate, kodama, explosive, circ route etc would be able to ramp me into more basics but I'm not sure if that's the way to go or play the manabase as it currently is without ramping to ensure I can at least hit all my colors.

Help me out, suggest to me something else, tear me a new one. All feedback welcome!

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/wlkjc-z3Y0mmcKoQd_tLKg

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

my questions is however when playing a 5C deck is it better to be able to play all our colors easily or have the ability to ramp into more lands by running more basics?

That really depends on your curve and what the lower end of your curve looks like. 5 colour Slivers, for example, needs to fix its colours ASAP because most slivers are cheap and they're fairly evenly spread across the colour pie. 5 colour dragons will need to ramp more and might have more artifacts at the low end so ramp becomes more important than fixing. My own dragon deck uses a sol ring, arcane signet, and the rest of the ramp is green so my lands are set up so that I can get green in play as soon as possible and to provide me a good amount of red for the 2 or 3 pip dragons that are there to win me the game

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Painlands might be worth considering over the pathways too. Kenrith doesn't care about paying life.

You can probably get the whole suite of them for $30 or $40.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Though maybe hold off on picking up all of them, the four that weren't in DMU were heavily implied to be part of BRO.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Aphrodite posted:

Painlands might be worth considering over the pathways too. Kenrith doesn't care about paying life.

You can probably get the whole suite of them for $30 or $40.

I do have a majority of those! Let me rip out my binder quick

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looks like Mishra and Urza get Uncommon, Rare, and Mythic cards in the next set. The two Rares are here:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/feature/whats-inside-the-brothers-war-boosters

Gix

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/yew67v/bro_gix_yawgmoth_praetor_weeklymtg/

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 28, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gix fuckin owns. Not as good as edric since it's in mono black but still a very neat card.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

From the link, talking about yet another chase variant, emphasis mine:

Some Shill At Wizards Who Prays For Death posted:

Serialized cards can only be found in Collector Boosters. Serialized cards are always in English but can be opened in Collector Boosters of any language. They are mechanically identical to their non-serialized counterparts.

How long until they start just printing better versions of cards at exceptional rarities? Oh, you want the Oko with the 5 starting loyalty and +3 ability? Gonna have to find one of the literal 6 we printed, consumer.

Also, Gix looks like an almost entirely better version of my main girl Xantcha, what with the opponents hurting each other for cards business. Gix also has a pretty high additional upside. I guess the thematic idea of the library thing is how Gix got into Mishra's inner circle and turned him into a robot monster?

Speaking of robot monsters, can we please get Ashnod this set?

edit: Okay so she's been 'spoiled' but not her mechanics https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/ashnod-flesh-mechanist/

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 28, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

How long until they start just printing better versions of cards at exceptional rarities? Oh, you want the Oko with the 5 starting loyalty and +3 ability? Gonna have to find one of the literal 6 we printed, consumer.

Literally never. Don't invent problems.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Also, Gix looks like an almost entirely better version of my main girl Xantcha, what with the opponents hurting each other for cards business. Gix also has a pretty high additional upside. I guess the thematic idea of the library thing is how Gix got into Mishra's inner circle and turned him into a robot monster?

Speaking of robot monsters, can we please get Ashnod this set?

edit: Okay so she's been 'spoiled' but not her mechanics https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/ashnod-flesh-mechanist/

No, it's been spoiled too.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Batterypowered7 posted:

No, it's been spoiled too.

That's only one Ashnod, specifically the one from the Commander decks. Apparently there's going to be another Ashnod in the set proper with a different art and name.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

serefin99 posted:

That's only one Ashnod, specifically the one from the Commander decks. Apparently there's going to be another Ashnod in the set proper with a different art and name.

Yup, Flesh Mechanist vs The Uncaring.

Same with Tawnos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
That makes sense. Based on my memory reading it once almost 25 years ago (:negative:):

In The Brother's War novel, it features them both at two different stages in their lives: starting out as early allies of Urza and Mishra in their respective courtly environments, and then meeting again many years later near the final confrontation. I admit, I forget exactly what they were trying to accomplish by this alliance.

In this case, it looks like Tawnos is actually him far after the war, having survived the battle by using his Coffin. Which always made me wonder why Tawnos' Coffin appears to depict a woman with red hair. This brings so much into question. In this ten thousand word essay I will explain...