Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah path of exile is fun if you like jerking it to spreadsheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Path of exile is also fun if you just plug it and play and do whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Path of exile is not good because it doesn't encourage you to do whatever. There are large leaps in game difficulty and if you're playing for the first time or aren't playing Optimally then you get hit by brick walls of difficulty. it's very inaccessible

if you go into a PoE group and say "what should i play" they spit out the dumbest anti-new player unparsable garbage like "seismic ME Totem trapper" and then back it up claiming that build is able to clear 6/6 unmod maps 13% faster than some other bullshit. what the gently caress who talks like that?

Diablo 3 says "crusader is fun" and then that's that

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 26, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Early game poe is too slow dark and boring, late game poe is far far too flashy and rapid.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also that is very true

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I put tons of hours in Path of Exile and loved it. The idea of end game maps was pretty brilliant. Also, before the act expansions and the revamps and the power spikes, I think the Piety fight was one of the best designed encounters in an action RPG ever. The only way to beat her (excluding poison) was to keep the pressure on her so her mana shield didn't regen, and everything she did was designed to make it difficult for you to keep the pressure on. Was just extremely well done.

Sadly it's bloated now with a bunch of dumb extra poo poo like heists and mines and tower defense and they turned end game maps into stupidly complicated Atlas stuff and it's just not a fun chill out and explode monsters game anymore.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jokes posted:

Diablo 3 says "crusader is fun" and then that's that

This is extremely disingenuous, yes you'll not download PoB for Diablo 3 but if you ask a build for D3 it will be a full set + a bunch of overly specific unique items, some of which you'll have to do the map missions over and over, then itemize them correctly because you need some 50% cooldown threshold for your rotation to even work and the tools to calculate D3 dps aren't even calculators, they're full on simulators. I played RoS for years and I still struggle to remember that RoTG or STE is ORTZ or what each of the 30 sets do, each with their own 30000% increased damage of [some skill].

If you have zero interest in learning either game then "Duelist is fun" is just the same as "Crusader is fun" but if you try to go any further than that then enjoy your season start being ruined because you used your once-per-league gift wrong because you didn't read the thing no one told you and you missed the perfect level 16 to gamble for the unique it'll now take days for you to get while you wonder what the kanai cube and you got lost because you went to the wrong direction in the snow. Also a few hours later you found out your Crusader scales with Thorns? Time to reitemize again.

Both games require nothing for you to go on and play the campaign but let's not pretend for a second that the endgame of D3 isn't just if not more obnoxious than PoE's. The main different is that D3 requires a colossal, humongous infodump for 2-3 days per league while PoE is a constant never-ending infodump over years.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't think you can even beat the campaign of PoE without looking up an online guide on how to not die instantly to things and the answer is going to be somewhere along the lines of "you hosed up early on when you decided to just play the game without doing sufficient research. respec and use an optimized build"

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elentor posted:

This is extremely disingenuous, yes you'll not download PoB for Diablo 3 but if you ask a build for D3 it will be a full set + a bunch of overly specific unique items, some of which you'll have to do the map missions over and over, then itemize them correctly because you need some 50% cooldown threshold for your rotation to even work and the tools to calculate D3 dps aren't even calculators, they're full on simulators. I played RoS for years and I still struggle to remember that RoTG or STE is ORTZ or what each of the 30 sets do, each with their own 30000% increased damage of [some skill].

If you have zero interest in learning either game then "Duelist is fun" is just the same as "Crusader is fun" but if you try to go any further than that then enjoy your season start being ruined because you used your once-per-league gift wrong because you didn't read the thing no one told you and you missed the perfect level 16 to gamble for the unique it'll now take days for you to get while you wonder what the kanai cube and you got lost because you went to the wrong direction in the snow. Also a few hours later you found out your Crusader scales with Thorns? Time to reitemize again.

Both games require nothing for you to go on and play the campaign but let's not pretend for a second that the endgame of D3 isn't just if not more obnoxious than PoE's. The main different is that D3 requires a colossal, humongous infodump for 2-3 days per league while PoE is a constant never-ending infodump over years.

Whatever this is is 100% wrong because none of this is "required" and you can have a lot of fun playing single player games where you click monsters without worrying that you're clicking monsters inefficiently.

PoE is terrible because it is a slot machine even more brazenly than any other example of the genre imo.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

satanic splash-back posted:

Whatever this is is 100% wrong because none of this is "required"

Elentor posted:

Both games require nothing for you to go on and play

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
In D3 you can just roll crusader without thinking too hard and unfuck your dumb newbie build later if you decide it's too weak.
In PoE you pretty much want to plan for your eventual endgame build from level 1 since respecs cost a significant amount of currency (especially for a new player who is not actually strong enough to farm that currency in endgame yet...) and the passive tree is incredibly huge and complicated. If you just go through it one point at a time without planning ahead or following a build you'll end up gimping your build and either doing 0 damage or getting constantly oneshot or both.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

thanks for making me feel smart y'all

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"You can build your character any way you want!" in PoE just means most build abilities and items are apparently trap options and there is an encyclopedia of items you'll need to memorize. The game is built for people whose sole goal is to maximize and optimize numbers, not have fun.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

final fantasy tactics is what made me realize that cloud strife is kind of a dipshit loser, but to my credit I didn't know any better because I was like 8 years old

anyway thanks final fantasy tactics!

I rented tactics as a kid, and to this day have been confused by what the gameplay even IS.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I rented tactics as a kid, and to this day have been confused by what the gameplay even IS.

It's dungeons and dragons on a grid, with flanking bonuses tied to attack rolls based on character facing and a more robust casting time system. It even has a character take 3 turns before it dies-dies.

e: Every Final Fantasy (and turn-based JRPG) is pretty much just DnD combat without positioning and movement. Final Fantasy Tactics just reintroduces movement and positioning.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 26, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A simple sideways glance at poe's sphere grid is recommended; gazing full on often causes insanity

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

jokes posted:

The game is built for people whose sole goal is to maximize and optimize numbers, not have fun.

Optimizing numbers IS fun, sometimes.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Optimizing numbers IS fun, sometimes.

Agree with this and I like stat heavy games that don't obscure much.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I guess it's fair to say that it can be overdone though. I really like Tales of Maj'Eyal, but looking at items that affect six or seven things by a varying small percentage and trying to figure out which is the better pick can be a drag.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The nice thing about tome is that you can do it at a glance once you're familiar with your build's damage types. Yes, the t5 Runed Dragonbone Quarterstaff of Fleet Emperor's Wisdom may give you +15% Dark / +17% Light / +27% Psionics / +2 Cunning / When casting a Nature ability, gain +10% move speed for 3 turns, but!

1) Bro do you even know any spells that do Dark or Light type damage
2) You have Psionics. One spell. You can't gain ranks in it :v:
3) You DO cast Nature spells but you only know like two and +10% move speed isn't a big deal

Pass! I know there's a lot to take in, but I think there are mods that will color code the menu text to help your brain process it instantly, too. Or is that in vanilla?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i don't want to sound like a pervert but more video games should have centaurs in them

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kntfkr posted:

i don't want to sound like a pervert but more video games should have centaurs in them

Centaurs with the horse half up-top

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

jokes posted:

Centaurs with the horse half up-top

to horny jail with you!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

kntfkr posted:

Dota had a character called Centuar Warrunner. He has the highest strength gain per level in the game

That's all I got

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kntfkr posted:

imo just make a bootleg uma musume pretty derby but the girls are horses on the bottom half bam instant billionaire

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Overwatch has a centaur but it doesn't seem to have helped anything

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Centaurs are not cool. Hate to tell you goons.

Now weird little half-goat men? All the rage. When will gaming studios learn??

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What about a centaur that wears shades and smokes cloves?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Waltzing Along posted:

What about a centaur that wears shades and smokes cloves?

Centaur can't kickflip. IS THAT COOL TO YOU?? Smoking isn't enough.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Though smoking is extremely cool

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Literally A Person posted:

Centaur can't kickflip. IS THAT COOL TO YOU?? Smoking isn't enough.

Speaking of kickflips, do you know about Jonny Giger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJLdlQwvuzI

This is the latest in a series of vids where he learns (or attempts to learn) Rodney Mullens tricks. It's likely that other than Mullen, Giger is the only person to do some of this stuff.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

Centaurs are not cool. Hate to tell you goons.

Motaro looks down upon this post

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Human genitals between the front legs or no centaurs

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

X JAKK posted:

Human genitals between the front legs or no centaurs

:whitewater:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gas thread

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Centaurs are immune to gas, sorry

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Excelzior posted:

gas thread

What’s your favorite part of a centaur

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pff. Like centaurs could get anything done these days

Call me when you get some dollartars.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Centaureolas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?