Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Scrree posted:

1. Export to a smaller, more marginal market that needs less wood. 2. Raise export tariffs so that the "break even" point of your supply and their demand is smaller. 3. Figure out how to tax the shopkeepers running the trade depot and use that money to subsidize your economy.

It's counterintuitive, but trading in this game is nothing like the typical "I'll sell you x parcels of stuff for y units of do$h". You're basically linking your entire supply of x commodity into their market with the buffer [your export tariffs] and [their import tariffs]. I have no idea how/if consumption taxes link into this process.

I’m thinking of the Vicky trade system where you said “I want my stockpile to contain X units of Y good, sell any surplus” so I guess having that under dumbass AI capitalist control abstracts that away better.

Look, I’m just happy as long as it’s not Vicky 1’s “all machine tools are only sold by Britain, in descending order of prestige”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tomn posted:

It DOES feel like if anybody’s leaving a review of a complex strategy game like V3 in the first 24 hours of release, odds are decent that they’ve already made up their minds one way or another even before playing.

yeah, the deck is already stacked because

-people pop off spontaneously about how much they hate the paradox DLC model

-vicky 2 has a small but hardcore group of people who want nothing less than a full on remaster, like the NMA folks who refused to accept a FPS fallout

-people are going to get mad that the game isn't a wargame or another sick noscope map painting sim

-its a really complicated and confusing game getting a solid AA push so people are going to pick it up and bounce off, hard, blaming the game rather than their taste in games

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I almost had an economic collapse trying to pass Proportional Taxes because I repeatedly got the middle class event which forces you to either pass a tax cut or grind the Enact Chance into the dirt lol.

I had to cut social security and institute consumption taxes just to avoid national bankruptcy

My favorite event was when our lawmakers bungled writing the law so badly you have to wonder if they even knew how to put the pen on the paper the right way around. I could either make their entire faction be a laughingstock (and crater reform chances even further) or just blame the leading politician guy.

Of course I threw the fucker to the wolves.

I'm contemplating restarting, simply because I completely forgot how under-developed the kingdom is. Hannover needs expansion of agriculture, logging operations (we have a lot of forests) and general administration, otherwise the Kingdom of Hannover is basically unable to do anything and the economy will slowly collapse inward.

Lessons learned:

-Without construction, buildings won't get finished fast enough to keep plugging the holes in your agrarian economy and industrialization is doomed to failure
-Without more administration, your ability to use import and export routes is extremely limited. If you ignore this, you will soon have no money to do anything
-Trying to create a steel production is nice for a few years, but then everyone is making steel and dumb, backwards Hannover can't actually use all that cheap steel yet, the economy craters even faster then before

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

is there a way to move armies during peace time

no but you can move them during the build up of a diplomatic play

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Setting up a functioning electrical industry is very difficult.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There was definitely a faction of people in the PDS forums that were basically “I’ve committed to not liking this game but I’m absolutely going to buy it anyway” that I don’t really get. Like I get if you’re bummed that a sequel to a game you thought might never happen isn’t being developed how you like, but in that case I think I’d just not buy it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I’m going to counter this post with the “I’m rubber and you’re glue” argument being made here:

I'm going to counter this post by saying calling people boot lickers is bad.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

My favorite event was when our lawmakers bungled writing the law so badly you have to wonder if they even knew how to put the pen on the paper the right way around. I could either make their entire faction be a laughingstock (and crater reform chances even further) or just blame the leading politician guy.

i just back off the attempt and try again later if i'm trying to longshot pass a law at like >20% and it gets bad outcomes

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
calling a fascist a bootlicker is fine but calling someone who is being, in your opinion, too enthusiastic about a new video game a bootlicker is twitterbrain

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Impermanent posted:

calling a fascist a bootlicker is fine but calling someone who is being, in your opinion, too enthusiastic about a new video game a bootlicker is twitterbrain

For real lol.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i just back off the attempt and try again later if i'm trying to longshot pass a law at like >20% and it gets bad outcomes

I've got a law that is something like -35% to pass because I managed to get both "these people are too stupid to write" and "leader got caught with his mistress" but as long as im trying to pass the law i get all the bonuses from the opposition party since they are happy that we are "trying"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
lol are people really whining about bootlicker, the thinnest possible skin

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

If people liked Vicky II I don't get why they wouldn't like this, to be completely honest.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If I want to attack Netherlands as Belgium do I need a Navy? Or can I just run em down on the land and ignore the water?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Begun, the reviews wars, have!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

There’s def a lot of cringy boot licking in here lmao.

perhaps post less with spudguns dick in your mouth, although it is very funny that you came in here initially to defend the vicky 2 n word guy and then bought the game anyway (which seems pretty cringy and bootlickery to me?)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I've got a law that is something like -35% to pass because I managed to get both "these people are too stupid to write" and "leader got caught with his mistress" but as long as im trying to pass the law i get all the bonuses from the opposition party since they are happy that we are "trying"

I've gotten the "Shogun interferes" (to help pass a law) events a couple of times when trying to pass laws that would break the Shogunate's power. I suppose at least intellectuals being upset about the Shogun helping pass the law they want is believable :)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Phigs posted:

If I want to attack Netherlands as Belgium do I need a Navy? Or can I just run em down on the land and ignore the water?

Depends on if you can ignore the water I suppose

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I really like the game so far and the amount of dopamine it provides me is higher than any possible dissatisfaction brought about by the game’s flaws. in time i should find balance

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Enjoying a consumer product you bought is actually the same as supporting authoritarianism

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sure, it's funny to make fun of the bootlickers now. but when paradox development studio comes for you, and the boot is on YOUR throat, it won't be anymore. and don't say i dind't warn you

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
If you think the reviews are fun, check out the Steam community discussions.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Well, I'm most of the way through a Germany run, and as much as I like the idea of Vicky 3, the simulation as a whole still needs a lot of work. Even in spite of war being much less complex, the AI still can't really handle wars without a shared border (especially intercontinental, wow). Worse, the AI is somehow both too aggressive and too passive, with huge wars being fought over some really weird wargoals, yet things you'd expect big conflicts over (US-Mexico, the Balkans, Japan, China etc.) are left alone. In general, the economy needs a lot of work. As far as I can tell the AI is pretty decent at actually industrializing, but incapable at running a late-game industrial economy. Even in the 20s and 30s, Germany produced 80% (!) of the worlds oil, just with their two tiny oilwells. Mexico was only building their first oilwell around 1925, despite there being a huge demand for oil. As a result of this massive shortage of oil, I could barely develop my industry past a certain point. The early and midgame are pretty well balanced, but the economy runs aground afterwards. Also, land-based trade needs some rebalancing. Even with protected domestic supply selected, and a mercantilist trade policy, the AI will buy all your cloth of grain before your own population has the chance to. Every couple of years, I'd suddenly see this huge spike in radicals, which I later discovered was the fault France importing about 5000 pieces of clothes. I was making hand over fist in tariffs, but the price of clothes had risen so sharply my pops were losing SoL. I know it's the point of the game, but there should be more gradual control over export and import than either raising export tariffs (which the AI will just completely ignore) or immediately resorting to a full embargo.

The AI is also bad at handling their internal politics. Early on, somewhere in the 1850's, the UK suffered this huge rebellion, which led to the East India Company declaring independence. The end result was the UK as a minor power at a solid rank 11. That was bad enough, but after losing that rebellion it's, like they just gave up, never fighting any wars to regain lost territory or anything. It's like they laid down and just decided to die.

It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but it's still a Paradox release.

Curious to see what you all think, it might well be the case that the AI performs relatively well in one game, but it's not able to respond properly to a lot of small weird things compounding

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 26, 2022

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

'It sounded like home.'

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FishBulbia posted:

I think goons tend to be on the older end of the audience nowadays and have somewhat more realistic expectations
Realistic expectations, or lowered standards?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Every Paradox game opens to mixed reviews but I can imagine that this is going to the be the most mixed of all for new players because there really is no military to speak of. Yeah you can subjugate people but it's about as abstracted as it has ever been in any Paradox game (and that's saying something) and a lot of people who are going to expect EU4 (but with more industry) will be disappointed.

Anyways I am enjoying my cringe commie game

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Realistic expectations, or lowered standards?

Realistic expectations about what a game can be. Recently people have forgotten Paradox games are essentially board games and expect them to be real life simulators.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
why are trade routes inactive sometimes

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Arrath posted:

It's 1848 (and three restarts later) and I've got Chile's GDP up to 3M, an even ratio of radicals to loyalists, and finally can run constructions without a deficit (albeit only two construction sectors), and minor liberalizations of laws. I only ran my credit up to 75% of its limit! Next up: steel production. The serious potential for sulfur mines down here also has me considering chemical plants and/or explosives. This focus on economy-ing has resulted in Argentina racing ahead of me in the colonization game of Patagonia though, unfortunately. I need to look into what laws or techs I could pursue to increase my colonial institution and win this race next time!

That or cozy up with Brazil and beat up Argentina for their lands. Which may be tricky because I'm currently all buddy buddy with Argentina. And I wouldn't even know how to begin to get Brazil to consider an alliance.

As a minor focusing on local economics and colonization I don't really know what to do with my diplo capacity, I've mostly just sent my guys around improving relations with my neighbors and the big swinging dicks with interests in my region.

Also, as a minor power hungry for anything to keep me from falling into insignificance, it seems like that massive +20 Prestige from an, apparently, fairly common Playwright event when passing an early law is a no brainer.

What worked great for me as Chile was using Bolivia as a punching bag. They start out with Peru as a puppet, and they hold a province that Brazil has a claim on. Brazil rivaled them pretty early on, so I started a diplomatic play to transfer Peru over to me, then swayed Brazil to my side by offering to return their claimed province. Lucky for me, Bolivia backed down after Brazil joined me, so I got Peru as puppet very early on. This helps a ton since it more than doubles your army and pays you a lot of money.

With that extra manpower I puppeted Ecuador next, which was an easy war due to Peruvian troops. Both Peru and Ecuador also love Chile, so they immediately became loyal subjects, even after warring with them.

And finally, as soon as the truce with Bolivia ran out I made another play to puppet them. Since they still had the province with the Brazilian claim on it, Brazil was once again on my side. This time Bolivia managed to pull Argentina in on their side, but that only lead to me getting some additional war reperations in the end. That leaves me so powerful that I can easily puppet Argentina after the truce runs out, once again aided by Brazil who at this point are my bestest buddy.

So at 1855, I have Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, and Argentina under me, Brazil loves me and has a trade pact with me, and I am starting to have enough juice in my construction sector to build two things at the same time. So, I am having a lot of fun playing this game, is what I am trying to say here.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oscarthewilde posted:

It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but it's still a Paradox release.

Curious to see what you all think, it might well be the case that the AI performs relatively well in one game, but it's not able to respond properly to a lot of small weird things compounding

ty for finding flaws without being deranged about it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Two Beans posted:

game has too much micro. i want the version back where i have to struggle with the AI building dumb poo poo and bankrupting themselves constantly while i chase pawns all over the map

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Schnitzler posted:

What worked great for me as Chile was using Bolivia as a punching bag. They start out with Peru as a puppet, and they hold a province that Brazil has a claim on. Brazil rivaled them pretty early on, so I started a diplomatic play to transfer Peru over to me, then swayed Brazil to my side by offering to return their claimed province. Lucky for me, Bolivia backed down after Brazil joined me, so I got Peru as puppet very early on. This helps a ton since it more than doubles your army and pays you a lot of money.

With that extra manpower I puppeted Ecuador next, which was an easy war due to Peruvian troops. Both Peru and Ecuador also love Chile, so they immediately became loyal subjects, even after warring with them.

And finally, as soon as the truce with Bolivia ran out I made another play to puppet them. Since they still had the province with the Brazilian claim on it, Brazil was once again on my side. This time Bolivia managed to pull Argentina in on their side, but that only lead to me getting some additional war reperations in the end. That leaves me so powerful that I can easily puppet Argentina after the truce runs out, once again aided by Brazil who at this point are my bestest buddy.

So at 1855, I have Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, and Argentina under me, Brazil loves me and has a trade pact with me, and I am starting to have enough juice in my construction sector to build two things at the same time. So, I am having a lot of fun playing this game, is what I am trying to say here.

Oh man, nice!

I'm now heavily fighting the urge to restart and try this poo poo out.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

why are trade routes inactive sometimes

The other party of the trade restricting the good, afaict. Typically happens with guns/artillery/warships that I'm trying to import when the country selling them to me goes to war and decides those things are needed domestically.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Two Beans posted:

I'm trying to figure out why the Steam forum for this game is so loving insane, does it just have no moderation and so the crazies end up there by default?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

CuddleCryptid posted:

Every Paradox game opens to mixed reviews but I can imagine that this is going to the be the most mixed of all for new players because there really is no military to speak of. Yeah you can subjugate people but it's about as abstracted as it has ever been in any Paradox game (and that's saying something) and a lot of people who are going to expect EU4 (but with more industry) will be disappointed.

Anyways I am enjoying my cringe commie game

If there's no military gameplay then how come I don't understand how it works smart guy

I'm baffled that people have made it to 1917 when the game's only been out 27 hours

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm trying to figure out why the Steam forum for this game is so loving insane, does it just have no moderation and so the crazies end up there by default?

Valve barely moderates what games are sold on Steam, let alone posts on their forums.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah and all the steam forums have those guys. The power of god is on your side though, if somebody is so stupid that they think Victoria 1 or 2 simulates a freemarket, and that by playing such a game they are reinforcing the legitimacy of their own ideology, then they were put on this earth to chew crayons and aren't very threatening imo

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDoD2PIv74

I kinda saw this coming after the changes Wiz made to Stellaris. There were a lot of things that sounded GREAT on paper (pops! end of tiles! districts!), but which resulted in micro-intensive gameplay that was impossible for the AI to interact with.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

ItohRespectArmy posted:

perhaps post less with spudguns dick in your mouth, although it is very funny that you came in here initially to defend the vicky 2 n word guy and then bought the game anyway (which seems pretty cringy and bootlickery to me?)

Another fragile ego in here, and this guy thinks that because I liked the way spud made V2 mp videos suddenly I must have a hate boner V3.

Believe me dipshit, I really really want to like V3. And I havent solidly made up my mind. I have played thousands of hours of fuckin paradox games lol. Why would I root against the game? I'm just being honest in a thread about the game and youre in here trying to imply I'm a racist because you have somehow attached your ego to the reception of the game. gently caress you lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ur calling people bootlickers over a video game bro. shut up. your brain is broken.