Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Noblesse Obliged posted:

kids cost money. importing labour is cheaper and we can do poo poo like release air advisories about cultural events to always subtly remind them that they are temporarily tolerated as long as they don’t ask for more

lol did they seriously release air advisories over diwali but not fuckin canada day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mila kunis posted:

lol did they seriously release air advisories over diwali but not fuckin canada day

of course they did, are you saying canada isn't racist

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

mila kunis posted:

they walked it back but yes they did.

also everyone’s freaking about the mess left but also don’t do the same for any white person holiday

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

my apartment includes a garage, or should i say a micro-bachelor sublet
My parents said that one of their neighbours was literally renting out a garden shed a couple of years ago until someone called the city to complain.

It was one of those sheds that looks like a tiny house and they insulated it and ran water, power, and a sewer line to it.

It was something like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cedarshed-bunkhouse-12x12-cedar-shed/1001553867

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Now they are kicking themselves for not getting in on the deal

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There are already tons of extremely illegal basement apartments advertised for rent around here, can't wait for the extremely illegal garden shed homes to pop up on cajiji or wherever.

I mean setting aside it's hard to have kids in a bachelor apartment, a ton of landlords wont rent to you if you have children or are visibly pregnant.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

imma stack my 3 houses all crooked like the Weasleys house

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
mb muncipal elections tonight, which clown will emerge from the car victorious and immediately get drop kicked by a wps officer

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

mb muncipal elections tonight, which clown will emerge from the car victorious and immediately get drop kicked by a wps officer

Which clowns did you vote for

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which clowns did you vote for

im not eligible to vote this round because ive only been back in winnipeg for 3 months. gun to my head id probably vote murray and hope he follows through on taking away the police helicopter? i actually liked a lot of gillinghams stuff but i cant trust a card carrying pc member

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Snow Crash starting to look like documentary

Also lets turn all of Oakville into the new Kowloon Walled City

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I assume Murray will win but voted for Loney. All I really want is for motkaluk to eat poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bilirubin posted:

Snow Crash starting to look like documentary

Also lets turn all of Oakville into the new Kowloon Walled City

i'm okay with this

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

:justvote:

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit
why don't you have microcondos in toronto yet

imagine how much cheaper housing could be

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

megahtz posted:

:thunk:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

of course they did, are you saying canada isn't racist

How can it be when

https://twitter.com/sesrenaissances/status/1584641773791739904

megahtz posted:

Liberty Village exists and my understanding is that there are not enough sex workers and desperate students to drive up demand for 250sqft shitboxes.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

eXXon posted:

How can it be when

Liberty Village exists and my understanding is that there are not enough sex workers and desperate students to drive up demand for 250sqft shitboxes.

don’t you have another forum from which you are supposed to drive engagement away from???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

megahtz posted:

we do, unless i'm seriously confused about the definition of microcondo. they've been selling ~400sq. ft. floor plans for five years or so.

you wanted to spend $400k on something the size of a hotel room, right?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm not paying for a micro-anything!! :mad:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Give me a full size house and a full size car, what is this, the world's tiniest country all of a sudden? Fer chrissakes!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
what is this, an apartment for ants? It would need to be at least three times this big!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

eXXon posted:

How can it be when

or meth labs

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Politicians love laneway homes because it looks like you're creating badly needed new housing for renters, but more importantly, what you're really doing is giving established home owners a big rear end new revenue stream that ensures they can take out even bigger HELOCs than ever.

The problem with simply building badly needed apartments is only renters benefit and established wealth doesn't. That's no good.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
"Laneway home" is a new one to me, it seems they're just referring to easements, which in a carless world would be fine, but good luck if you're dependent on squeezing past your neighbour's lifted F-950

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
We should all live in Kruschovkas tbh

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

run on sentience posted:

I assume Murray will win but voted for Loney. All I really want is for motkaluk to eat poo poo.

shaun “privatize everything” loney

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

DariusLikewise posted:

shaun “privatize everything” loney

Really? That's sucks I hadn't heard anything like that. What does he want to privatize?

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit

infernal machines posted:

we do, unless i'm seriously confused about the definition of microcondo. they've been selling ~400sq. ft. floor plans for five years or so.

you wanted to spend $400k on something the size of a hotel room, right?

https://www.apartments.com/avalon-micro-studios-seattle-wa/k0811y9/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Femtosecond posted:

Politicians love laneway homes because it looks like you're creating badly needed new housing for renters, but more importantly, what you're really doing is giving established home owners a big rear end new revenue stream that ensures they can take out even bigger HELOCs than ever.

The problem with simply building badly needed apartments is only renters benefit and established wealth doesn't. That's no good.

But those “X 1/2” addresses are so twee and instagramable! Think of the Kinfolk crowd, and Toronto Life and cute Tiny Homes! Wouldn’t they look great with bare pastel walls, string lights and plants? Minimalism is very popular with Millennials who want Authenticity.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've lived in a $2000/month 1400 ft basement and a $2700 800 ft condo, more basements please.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

run on sentience posted:

I voted for Rana during the early voting just because she was the only one willing to say "Can we try paying the police less?" before I voted. Sure it's throwing my vote away, but I get to be a smug rear end in a top hat about protest voting without actually spoiling a ballot.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

congratulations to new winnipeg chief clown scott gillingham

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Randalor posted:

I voted for Rana during the early voting just because she was the only one willing to say "Can we try paying the police less?" before I voted. Sure it's throwing my vote away, but I get to be a smug rear end in a top hat about protest voting without actually spoiling a ballot.

This - Bokhari was the least objectionable candidate but lmao at anyone thinking that Murray would actually beat Gillingham.

The media has been making GBS threads on Murray for the last 2+ months - similar to Judy Wasylicia-Leis in the 2014 election, which resulted in the center-right candidate getting in instead and - shocker - the centre-right candidate won again tonight

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DariusLikewise posted:

need a premier candidate to run on a platform of "to receive any provincial funding, the head of a municipality must adopt the sole title Chief Clown"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
or abolishing daylight saving time changes. but I'll offer the less weird option first

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

ColdBlooded posted:

This - Bokhari was the least objectionable candidate but lmao at anyone thinking that Murray would actually beat Gillingham.

The media has been making GBS threads on Murray for the last 2+ months - similar to Judy Wasylicia-Leis in the 2014 election, which resulted in the center-right candidate getting in instead and - shocker - the centre-right candidate won again tonight

The purpose of a campaign is to convince people to vote for you and Judy didn't do that. She had a baked-in level of support but gave no reason as to why anyone else should have voted for her. I was wary of Bowman from the sheer number of conservative endorsements he received but was glad when he immediately tacked centre with his bland, logic-based philosopher king style of governance.

It was very unseemly how Bartley Kives et al just attacked Murray while saying gently caress all about Kevin Klein and his long, unhealthy relationship with Peter Nygard 👀 What's the matter, Bart? Did the Super Slider Snow Skate fortune finally dry up?

Bokhari and RFO to me are inscrutable at this point. It's one thing to be a career politician, and another thing to want to be a career politician and throw your hat into literally any ring. Recall that Bokhari led the MB Liberals, a party that has no reason to exist- meanwhile RFO has had many chances to prove himself and has whiffed all of them, which is impressive in its own right. I think I saw one sign for him this entire election.

DariusLikewise posted:

Crime is getting worse and while more police aren't the answer, the touted alternative is "never arrest anyone for anything ever because the arrest itself, not the crime, represents failure in our system and causes harm to the arrested" :kiddo: Okay. More cops, please!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Could it have been a mistake to let a coalition of developers and boomers with home equity take over every aspect of Provincial and Municipal government? lol

take over? i'm pretty sure "the guys who own the land boss everyone else around" is just how civilization works

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

evilpicard posted:

I've lived in a $2000/month 1400 ft basement and a $2700 800 ft condo, more basements please.

a lot of the ones in Toronto are way too short it’s insane, I saw one basement apt that had a ceiling clearance of maybe 5’10 max and 5’8 in the shower and the landlord was still trying to sell me on it (I’m 6’1). should be illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Every basement I've lived in has flooded. Granted that also happened to me in a 17th floor apartment when the building cladding failed in a "once in a lifetime" rain storm but I think I'll stick to apartments. I also kinda like having natural light and some separation from my landlord.