Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

Simply Simon posted:

hell yeah DS2 rules so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP4fWbBCV4g

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
DS2 kicks rear end, it's always nice to see people talking about how good it is.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

It's one of my favorite games ever and I find myself replaying it pretty often. I mostly go for no deaths that turn into no bonfires at some point.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This was a very cool video and I am a little sad that the chest does not get used any more. I rock dual great clubs often and would definitely use the club reskin.
I played a bit more yesterday and was NOT prepared to see three red phantoms by the Old Dragonslayer drawbridge alongside the dragon. That was a pretty good surprise :)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The only thing I'd change about ds2 is some sort of weapon availability randomizer. There are some cool weapons that are fairly far into the game (like the whip sword) at which point you're unlikely to want to use them. Mix it up a bit!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So far I have only died twice in NG+.

Once to the red phantom on the bridge in things betwixt (he kicked me off into the void) and once to a red phantom outside the old dragonslayer's room (my club got caught on the drawbridge and he did a spear spin that one shot me).

I have also been using a +1 puzzle sword but need some twinkling titanite to upgrade it. My great clubs are both +10.

My memory on where to go is so murky and I am just wandering, but it feels SO thematically relevant to everything that I kind of love it :)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

distortion park posted:

The only thing I'd change about ds2 is some sort of weapon availability randomizer. There are some cool weapons that are fairly far into the game (like the whip sword) at which point you're unlikely to want to use them. Mix it up a bit!
The cool thing about DS2 is that you can actually still get a lot of things super early. For the whip sword (I assume you mean the puzzling stone sword?), you can beeline to the Gutter with the correct ring selection, kill Rotten as your first boss, cheese the giants with poison, get the DLC key, and just pick the sword up with no further combat needed.

VideoGames posted:

I have also been using a +1 puzzle sword but need some twinkling titanite to upgrade it. My great clubs are both +10.
if you've access to Shulva already, you can find quite a few twinks there - I think there's a chest with 3 and 3 PDBs in the room downstairs from the bridge where Sinh flies by? You have to hit a switch on the ceiling to open the door.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

FishMcCool posted:

I went into Drangleic all cocky from having beaten DS1, once, with Havel's set and a BKS. To say it was a bit of a shock would be an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws&t=225s

This you in the first bit?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I just knew that would be Happy Souls. :unsmith:

The first Pursuer sequence sums it up alright.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1584821061501100032

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc
Just invaded someone by the waterfall in the copse and somehow killed them, which never happens. It's good to be back online.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Was in the middle of a playthrough and to my shock, I connected to the server out of the blue. Jolly cooperation signs out the nose.

Is pure hex and sorcery gimped for DLC areas? I picked up my level 140 hexer the other day and was doing absolute poo poo damage in Shulva despite the main enemies being weak to dark. Maybe I'm just used to the damage of my rapier dex build.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DLC enemies, unfortunately, have massive elemental resistances.

My Hexer got through there okay because I'm not only casting; a Dark Silverblack Spear + Dark Weapon deals enough damage (and part of it physical) to be successful. You can also try the ol' raw weapon + buff.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
As much as I love DS2, the weird slow animations, and specifically that trying the door animation only to be told after going through the animation that it's locked still annoy me and stop me from starting it again. But then again it has Majula, the best place in gaming.

Oh and the shrine of Amana. I think the visible pain here sums it up quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLW5tmLJfU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DS2 is the souls game that best recaptures the moody, unmoored dream-like atmosphere of king's field and I appreciate it for that

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

DLC enemies, unfortunately, have massive elemental resistances.

My Hexer got through there okay because I'm not only casting; a Dark Silverblack Spear + Dark Weapon deals enough damage (and part of it physical) to be successful. You can also try the ol' raw weapon + buff.

From what I recall it's less that they have big elemental resists and more that they have a specific resistance to spells. MLGS still works fine but soul spear does gently caress all.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's been a while, but as I remember, Dark Orb was still doing its job. You need to cast more of it, but eh, there are plenty of copies around to stack the casts.

But yeah, it's faster if you have a weapon as an alternative. MLGS with Enchanted infusion turns to pure physical damage that scales with INT. It's a pretty reliable fallback, not to mention how stylish you look when wielding it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Dark Silverblack Spear hits like a truck and you'll have the right stats for it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The zones are cool and I like how strike weapons are good. I don't like how the enemies track too quickly which makes the gank squads annoying.

Hands down the best DLC areas in Fromsoft games

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Strike being so powerful makes the caestus surprisingly viable. Punchies are fun

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/OPDUe2K.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao, classic

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Amana is dirt easy fyi when you realize you can simply side step and juke all the homing projectiles the enemies launch at you.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Or just roll through them, I didn't struggle with it and I usually leave adp at base level

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Amana is dirt easy fyi when you realize you can simply side step and juke all the homing projectiles the enemies launch at you.
fwiw they used to track you a lot harder, got nerfed at some point

though the amount of complaints about amana was still kinda wack. is and was a good area

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Amana is okay as an area but it's usually the spot where I think "god drat this game just will not end"

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

The best thing about DS2 is that there's so much of it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

giZm posted:

Especially when you take ng+ into play.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Volte posted:

Amana is okay as an area but it's usually the spot where I think "god drat this game just will not end"

i've seen a lot of blind LPers burn out at aldia's manor, enough that i feel like there's something particularly discombobulating about either the zone itself, or the zones leading up to it, that makes players feel drained

but since i like this game myself...

giZm posted:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly, I think it does drag toward the end, and I think Shrine of Amana is unfortunately placed at that exact point, which makes any shortcomings just that much more aggravating.

E: Aldia's manor also makes sense IMO. I think what both areas have in common is that they come immediately after what you might have assumed was going to be the end goal. You get all the old souls then you go to the castle--surprise there's more.

You go through the shrine and the crypt and finally meet Vendrick and get his ring---no wait there's still more. It's less an issue of the game length itself and more that these are the areas right after the game has zoomed out and shown you your goal is just a bit farther than you thought.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 26, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aldias is far worse than Amana, the keep is incredibly tedious and the hippos have the worst grapple attack in the game

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Aldia's Keep is a straight line you can run the whole thing in seconds.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

christmas boots posted:

Honestly, I think it does drag toward the end, and I think Shrine of Amana is unfortunately placed at that exact point, which makes any shortcomings just that much more aggravating.

E: Aldia's manor also makes sense IMO. I think what both areas have in common is that they come immediately after what you might have assumed was going to be the end goal. You get all the old souls then you go to the castle--surprise there's more.

You go through the shrine and the crypt and finally meet Vendrick and get his ring---no wait there's still more. It's less an issue of the game length itself and more that these are the areas right after the game has zoomed out and shown you your goal is just a bit farther than you thought.

yeah, to elaborate a little more, it's definitely the fact that the game also withholds vital mission-related ~*lore*~ about what you're actually doing and what your real objectives are for a while longer; aldia's can feel like a real low point because you finally, finally met Vendrick, the one goal you're sorta clear on and the one thing everyone's been telling you do and what you've been striving for, and the encounter's a big nothing

like, all a blind LPer has to go on at that point is that you got a new ring from him that'll maybe open up those locked doors you passed along the way? that's all

at an equivalent point in DS1 you would've had a big lore and mission update from gwynevere and/or frampt that would've given the player a clear new drive to propel themselves to end-game, at aldia's you're almost even worse off because what you thought was it, wasn't, and you gotta grope in the dark until you get the goods later

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

DS2 is the souls game that best recaptures the moody, unmoored dream-like atmosphere of king's field and I appreciate it for that

Yeah ds2, to me at least, feels like the way a souls game *should* feel.

I still get mad as hell when I get hit while waiting for the estus drink to actually fill the health bar

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gaius Marius posted:

Aldias is far worse than Amana, the keep is incredibly tedious and the hippos have the worst grapple attack in the game

SotFS Aldia's

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Aldia's Keep is a straight line you can run the whole thing in seconds.

Original DS2 Aldia's

Shrine suffers from the problem that it's either obnoxiously difficult or just kind of tedious, once again varying some depending on what version. Mirror Knight is a good climatic fight, but all of the areas afterwards feature interesting ideas interspersed with tedium and/or some degree of bullshit. Also the pacing gets even worse if you trudge back to the non-Aldia king's gates. One is useless until you can memory hop, the other leads to the Throne duo which you might rightfully assume is the end of the game, but oops.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 27, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Playing through as a hexer this time. For backup against resistant bosses (Elana :argh:) I have used a hand axe infused with magic. It’s actually a pretty drat good weapon!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Playing through as a hexer this time. For backup against resistant bosses (Elana :argh:) I have used a hand axe infused with magic. It’s actually a pretty drat good weapon!

Enchanted MLGS is the elite caster's weapon of choice for any-kind-of-magicy damage resistant foe. Nobody expects the book nerd to suddenly go pure physical two-handed.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It doesn't even need to be Enchanted, boss elemental resistances are rarely high enough to blunt damage from snazzy weapons like the MLGS or Crypt Blacksword.

That MLGS there? It's Magic infused, not Enchanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC the DLC enemies and bosses mostly have resistances to spells so magic/elemental/dark damage from weapons is still pretty good.