Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

GD_American posted:

We lost a millwright at UOP Honeywell from a software malfunction on a muller that was supposedly fully locked out. A dump door underneath it suddenly triggered and opened, and its hydraulic arm swung back to compress the chest of the millwright standing in the way to about 3 inches deep.

After the investigation we were given big welded braces to put on the arm when LO/TO work was being done on it. When I asked “did they fix the software” I was told Honeywell’s position was that there was nothing wrong with the software and the millwright must have done something wrong.

I never found out how the family’s lawsuit turned out. I was laid off there a year later.

I work with a lot of people from Honeywell Albuquerque (that shut down in what, 1999?) and gently caress me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Guyver posted:

Doesn't seem that bad to me. Other than doing the whole thing with the cab door open and no seat belt.

The dollys have ridges to keep the tracks from sliding. If the operator is paying attention he can work the swing like a fifth wheel for turns and lane changes but it looks like they're just heading down the road. The load probably isn't even that high for eight tires on the back and a dump truck.

Probably safer than walking it onto a low boy without side boards (they never have the side boards) for a short trip.

It's really heavy and if the truck doing the pulling needs to brake heavily, the excavator is not going to be braking with it and will in fact want to keep going.

If it's a short distance at low speed then it's probably fine, but if you've put together a setup like that then it's probably being done instead of putting it on a flatbed even for longer trips.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Thats a traction motor alright.

Why the gently caress didn't he hit the clutch? (panic I guess is why)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

MrQwerty posted:

I work with a lot of people from Honeywell Albuquerque (that shut down in what, 1999?) and gently caress me

I found a description in the lawsuit, and am spoilering it just for folks that don't want to see a description of someone dying

quote:

Clifton Devon Ward is the late husband of the plaintiff, Elizabeth L. Ward. Clifton, who was employed by G.A. West Company, Inc. ("West"), was killed on April 8, 2009, in an accident while working at the facilities of defendant UOP in Chickasaw, Alabama. The complaint alleges that "[o]n or about April 8, 2009 . . . Clifton Ward was suddenly and without warning subjected to a severe and unsurvivable crushing injury to his chest" due to "a pneumatically powered piston or cylinder struck him in the chest, pinning him between the large, moving, pneumatic piston and a verticality oriented steel I-beam which was part of the overall structure of the area of the plant" as he was "working as a maintenance technician to restore proper operations of a certain area within the plant known as `muller Number 7A.'" (Doc. 3-2. p. 87, ¶ 6).

Here is the accusation, which pretty much covers it

quote:

The plaintiff's complaint specifically asserts that UOP and the three individual defendants negligently and wantonly (1) failed "to provide [Mr. Ward] with a reasonable safe place to work;" (2) failed "to provide reasonably safe equipment and utensils including the controls, actuators, and logic associated with the operation of the . . . muller"; (3) failed "to guard the area beneath the . . . muller in such a way as to prevent workmen in the area from coming into contact with the moving pneumatic piston associated with the dump door closing mechanism for said muller; (4) designed "the control module logic for the . . . muller;" (5) designed the "muller controls so as to permit unanticipated and inadvertent movement and actuation of the door closing piston;" (6) failed to "adequately guard the area of the crush point . . . "; (7) caused, allowed, or authorized "work to continue without adequate tag out and lock out procedures having been initiated;" (8) failed "to appropriately design and initiate adequate lock out and tag out procedures for maintenance work on the . . . muller"; (9) caused or allowed "the dump door closure limit switch to be located in such a position as to expose workmen to the potential of serious bodily injury or death should they inadvertently contact the same;" (10) incorporated "a `limit' switch into the controls and actuators of the . . . muller"; (11) failed "to appropriately guard the remotely located activation switch . . . which was located directly in the path of the pneumatically powered door closure piston;" (12) failed "to appropriately label the aforementioned limit switch in such a fashion as to apprise workmen in the area of the dangers associated with inadvertent contact with said switch;" and (13) failed "to warn the [decedent] . . . of the dangers associated with the limit switch and movement or contact with the same."

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jabor posted:

If it's a short distance at low speed then it's probably fine, but if you've put together a setup like that then it's probably being done instead of putting it on a flatbed even for longer trips.

It's done because those tracks would tear up the roads in the construction site and construction sites can be huge so even slowly pulling it around like this is more efficient than driving. They're not driving down the interstate like that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

GD_American posted:

I found a description in the lawsuit, and am spoilering it just for folks that don't want to see a description of someone dying

Here is the accusation, which pretty much covers it

Oh it happened in a puposefully-designed third- world country

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Road status: fuckled

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
With good rhythm on the alternate route it becomes a shortcut!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

At a high enough CC it looks like you'll go right over the other bumps so I'd still hold onto your mushrooms.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

If that's Japan, it'll be fixed in days.

If it was America, two years.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cartoon Man posted:

why would it split so perfectly?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

LifeSunDeath posted:

Asphalt paving machines are generally only one lane wide, same with compactors and graders. The edge of the lane being a blend line makes sense.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cartoon Man posted:

they finally listened and lowered the road

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

Bugs bunny came through with a saw

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Bugs bunny came through with a saw

Is that the Florida- Georgia border?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sagebrush posted:

You can read the Therac-25 reports to find out what it feels like to be hit with an electron beam with "ionize the air" sort of power.

Fun

Not that it would have helped a whole lot, but why was there not a technician in constant observation of the patient? Even if you can't just look through a pane of leaded glass like with an x-ray machine, a video camera with a microphone is not new technology.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkddhqSytM1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkdbaieyty1r0uzl6.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

you gotta do this at least one time in your life.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Please don't post my attempts at lowering roads in Cities: Skylines.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cartoon Man posted:

Reminds me of the damage to Hwy 287 around Hebgen Lake (aka "Quake Lake") when Montana's biggest earthquake happened in 1959.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/NQ6NrxM.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You know what they say about when the boat is a-rockin’

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's going to cost way more than $50 to fix.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nothing to see there, it's just the motion of the ocean

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

You know what they say about when the boat is a-rockin’

You've hosed up your dockin'?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

just put a tarp over the holes it's fine

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

What’s fenders, precious?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Break Out Another Thousand

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
This guy's insanely bad idea build was posted in the bike mechanic thread, and it's very OSHA in several distinct ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T6ZLD6zvxw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Not that it would have helped a whole lot, but why was there not a technician in constant observation of the patient? Even if you can't just look through a pane of leaded glass like with an x-ray machine, a video camera with a microphone is not new technology.

The Therac-25 incidents took place in the mid-1980s when a small closed-circuit video camera with a microphone was, indeed, new technology.

I assume also all the regular things like hospital being cheap and not wanting to spring for the device, assuming nothing could go wrong so why do we need to observe them, etc

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this boat needs more tires

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I do not wear loafers, white khaki shorts, a polo shirt, and a sweater loosely tied around my neck all day, meaning I lack requisite boating knowledge. What did they screw up here, or is it just the natural consequence of the weather conditions and yet another reason that boats are money pits?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

I do not wear loafers, white khaki shorts, a polo shirt, and a sweater loosely tied around my neck all day, meaning I lack requisite boating knowledge. What did they screw up here, or is it just the natural consequence of the weather conditions and yet another reason that boats are money pits?

You usually put something squishy between the boat and the pier, for the reasons succinctly illustrated in the video.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SimonSays posted:

This guy's insanely bad idea build was posted in the bike mechanic thread, and it's very OSHA in several distinct ways.

What the gently caress is going on with that fork angle?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Andor's Osha fun

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Basically you need fenders, which are basically plastic tubes (or balls but sausage shapes are more common for boats this size) full of air to get between the boat and the pier. If you look closely you can see a laughably small blue one in the water between the boat and the pier, as well as what looks like a squished white one on the pier itself. That’s not enough of them, nor are they properly positioned to do the job.

The weather does look a bit choppy, though, and this doesn’t look like a well-protected harbor - it IS possible a bad storm blew through and knocked a bunch of fenders out of alignment, but in that case the boat shouldn’t have been parked there to begin with and should have been taken to a more protected harbor (though of course the owner might have either been away or else was too cheap to pay for a better berth, but neither of those options speak to effective boat ownership)

It looks like the docklines are pretty loose as well - in theory the docklines should be tight enough that the boat wouldn’t have been getting shoved from side to side hard enough to be doing this. It’s hard to tell but some of them also look like they belayed (IE tied on) oddly as well. Again, it’s POSSIBLE that this is in the aftermath of a major storm and things didn’t look that bad before, but see above.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that fork angle?

My guess is the fork in the jig doesn't have the same geometry as the one on the bike, and he didn't plan the headset stack correctly.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SimonSays posted:

it didn't fall apart on him when he hit the gravel path so really how bad could it be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://teddit.net/vids/kk7kbiqz86w91.mp4