Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Seems like a good time to ask: how useless is a roller brake meant to be? I've taken mine apart, relubed with the correct Shimano goo, the rollers and drum surface were in good condition, and I'm still totally unable to lock the rear wheel on pavement on a 90's rigid MTB, indeed all that work has made zero difference to the performance before and after. My cable is adjusted as tight as I can get it without dragging and the lever matches the brake so I'm confident nothing is 'wrong', the brake just really sucks, it's like having an old fashioned direct side pull in terms of stopping power.
Shimano roller brakes are notoriously powerless. They even include a loving spring in the front roller brake assembly (so you physically can't lock it up). It's dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

email from biketiresdirect.com posted:

You are receiving this email because you purchased one of the following Salsa or Whisky products from BikeTiresDirect.com:

Cowbell carbon handlebars

Cowchipper carbon handelbars

24F Carbon handlebars

12F Carbon handlebars

The manufacturer has issued an urgent safety recall on these products. Please stop using the handlebars immediately.

There have been reports of some handlebars cracking where the brake/shift levers are installed, which can potentially result in a crash and serious injury to the rider.
Lovely

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

mikemelbrooks posted:

What I am saying is The Hope 205 to 220 adaptor doesnt work with BB7s, also its a big disc 140mm disc for reference!

Weird, I thought Cannondales were all 203mm disc.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/qagreenways/status/1583339126283456517

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I refuse to believe that thing works at all

The whole site for it just screams scam

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Even if it did work it would kill your tyres very quickly

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
If you're on a steep enough climb and hit the gas does it snap off your seat post and drive itself into your butt?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

YanniRotten posted:

If you're on a steep enough climb and hit the gas does it snap off your seat post and drive itself into your butt?

You have to pay extra for that feature.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Feeding “cyclist rammed by mega turbo dildo with glowing neon balls” to one of those AI art generators then trying to patent the output

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I only recently heard about cyclists being called "butt darts" and this is how you actually become one

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
My preferred electrolyte tablets are out of stock everywhere. Anyone got a hookup on bottom dollar electrolyte tablets that are actually in stock?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

IDK about bottom dollar, but Nuun treats me well. I like their caffeine tablets for longer rides.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I generally use the skratch lemon lime. A scoop in a bottle is good for most rides in not really hot weather. And if you're riding long enough to actually need some electrolytes having calories in there is a good idea too (a scoop of skratch is 80). For longer races and stuff I've been ok with the tailwind orange stuff and that gets me like double the calories of skratch or more. Sometimes I'll put like 250cal in a big bottle.

I got some saltstick electrolyte chews for a long mtb race because it was all I could find in a store at the last minute. Kind of prefer the pill form because it's like a really salty chewable vitamin or something.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

My preferred electrolyte tablets are out of stock everywhere. Anyone got a hookup on bottom dollar electrolyte tablets that are actually in stock?

I bought a big sachet of unflavoured electrolytes from Bulk Powders that I add to whatever drinks I want.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

dema posted:

IDK about bottom dollar, but Nuun treats me well. I like their caffeine tablets for longer rides.

Same.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Who remeber Kona Cola and Lemon Tea?

:pressf:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

Who remeber Kona Cola and Lemon Tea?

:pressf:

Tailwind makes a cola flavored mix, but no tea

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Tailwind makes a cola flavored mix, but no tea
i was doing an order on Merlin Cycles cause they have a discount on Schwalbes this week and bought some more G-Ones. giving my Focus Mares some attention. shop has it right now, gonna need whole new drivetrain basically lol, welp, its seen some poo poo im not surprised.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-g-one-evolution-super-ground-tle-folding-gravel-tyre-700c-209919.html

great price on the tires, ordered 4 between me and friend, but also noticed that SIS does a cola flavor, so i added that to the cart. ill report back on the flavor.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
can i be a little baby in here for a second? i'm 20, i just learned to ride a bike last week, and today not only did i do my first 10 mile cycle, i also bought my very own bike so i don't have to borrow one anymore. this poo poo goes so hard

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

w4ddl3d33 posted:

can i be a little baby in here for a second? i'm 20, i just learned to ride a bike last week, and today not only did i do my first 10 mile cycle, i also bought my very own bike so i don't have to borrow one anymore. this poo poo goes so hard

he'll yeah

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i talked poo poo about zwift in the past based on my low effort attempt at indoor riding a few years ago but faced with the prospect of riding in the cold, wet and dark PNW over the next 7 months of misery weather i went and got a tacx

and i gotta admit i was wrong and riding indoors aint that bad

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

w4ddl3d33 posted:

:getin:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Love these posts. Share a pic in the photo thread!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Dude, I'm 46. I bought my very first "serious" bike (if a Giant Cypress can be called thus) in May 2020, if memory serves, because the gyms were closed, and I needed to do something to keep exercising. I have an Amazon jazzercycle that has gotten me through, but I live in an area with a ton of rail trails, and exercising outside was one of the few things everyone agreed could be done at the start of the pandemic. I already knew how to ride a bike, and since childhood I've almost always owned a bike that, from my teenage years on, I pretty much never rode.

But something about the pandemic and the local trails really just hooked me, and I felt, and still feel, like you do right now. I remember getting to 10 miles the first time, then 20, then 30... then 50... and my current record is just over 65. Keep going, and start saving money for your next bike. Because you're going to want another.

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't have a Zwift or anything, but during the week, I use the gym's stationary bikes to do a 10 minute warmup before my weight training. I do the hill program at level 12. For cardio days, usually Friday unless I'm planning a long ride on the weekend, I do the same program for about 45 - 60 minutes, including cool-down. The only thing that I miss when I'm indoors is the breeze drying the sweat as I move; I'm drenched after my "ride" on cardio day.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Yeah! Good job, welcome, enjoy!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

w4ddl3d33 posted:

:hf:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

w4ddl3d33 posted:

can i be a little baby in here for a second? i'm 20

You're all set.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Hell yeah! my biggest regret is taking a break during first few years of college and then again stopping for a bit after college. I would have had so much more fun during those years if I just rode my bike everywhere. Then I got a new job and lived closer to work and started commuting everywhere by bike!

In other news, I just did a two-day bikepacking trip from Alexandria to Sky Meadows State Park in northern Virginia and back, for a total of around 150 miles on the new bike I just put together. Didn't get to do the return route I had planned because my friend was having some knee issues on the second day, but still pretty great trip all around and beautiful weather :)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

w4ddl3d33 posted:

This owns.
What color is your new bike?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BraveUlysses posted:

i talked poo poo about zwift in the past based on my low effort attempt at indoor riding a few years ago but faced with the prospect of riding in the cold, wet and dark PNW over the next 7 months of misery weather i went and got a tacx

I'm waiting to see if there are any sales for black friday. Looks like rain/snow started in Denver today. :negative:

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I'm waiting to see if there are any sales for black friday. Looks like rain/snow started in Denver today. :negative:

You mean rain/snow started in Denver today and ski season is rapidly approaching :woop:

Plus the forecast for the next week is sunny and 60s in town so not much to complain about imo

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Anachronist posted:

You mean rain/snow started in Denver today and ski season is rapidly approaching :woop:

Plus the forecast for the next week is sunny and 60s in town so not much to complain about imo

On the one hand yes.

On the other hand, I have an 8 month old now and something tells me my wife is going to look upon me going skiing on Thursday instead of going to music class...poorly.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

You can definitely ride year around here with appropriate gear. Maybe not every day, but at least on a weekly basis. Did Festive 500, all outside, the last two years.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Mauser posted:

In other news, I just did a two-day bikepacking trip from Alexandria to Sky Meadows State Park in northern Virginia and back, for a total of around 150 miles on the new bike I just put together. Didn't get to do the return route I had planned because my friend was having some knee issues on the second day, but still pretty great trip all around and beautiful weather :)
Nice. Great country around Sky Meadows, I love going out that way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

I'm waiting to see if there are any sales for black friday.

Speaking of returns to bike price normalcy, Planet X is doing a clearance sale with 20% off with code EMX2620.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/YBOOBDGX/on-one-big-dog-sram-gx-mountain-bike
That GX hardtail works out to $1160 shipped.

They have a variety of road and gravel bikes that are not quite as good of a deal, but still good if you need a bike.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Speaking of returns to bike price normalcy, Planet X is doing a clearance sale with 20% off with code EMX2620.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/YBOOBDGX/on-one-big-dog-sram-gx-mountain-bike
That GX hardtail works out to $1160 shipped.

They have a variety of road and gravel bikes that are not quite as good of a deal, but still good if you need a bike.

Just be aware that Planet X is going to have UK brake setup by default unless you pay extra or swap it yourself.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just be aware that Planet X is going to have UK brake setup by default unless you pay extra or swap it yourself.

Sram brake levers are the same left to right and have bleed ports top and bottom so you just have to unclamp and swap sides.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I prefer motorcycle style anyway. I don't understand why the US decided to swap things around. Maybe blame the French?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I think it's so you can signal turns and whatever with your left hand and use the back brake. Which,. like, rules about bikes say something like the brakes have to be able to lock up the rear wheel and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Safety Dance posted:

I prefer motorcycle style anyway. I don't understand why the US decided to swap things around. Maybe blame the French?

It's so people can complain on the internet