Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah especially since at this point I'd have to wrestle colonial laws past my intelligentsia and unions then wait for the institutionto tick up before i can even really start; and I'm already in default. Might just start over in Latin America somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

don't talk about :files: in games

hasnt been a thing for years calm down

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
As I mentioned earlier, it's insane that two minuscule oil fields would be enough to turn my Germany into the biggest producer of oil, even as late as 1925 (and probably until the end of the game even. I got tired of the constant crashing so decided to stop that playthrough). Exploiting scarce recourses like opium, oil, rubber and dye should be priotised by the AI. Not only is it a huge money maker, without sufficient oil and rubber there is no late game economy. Either Paradox prioritised playtesting and balancing the early and mid-game or they changed some things at the last minute that actually made made things worse (not unlikely, considering the rumours we've heard of France not being quite so OP in the pre-release patch).

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Well after ten years of wrangling my German alliance of trade unions, intelligensia, and anarchist farmers managed to pass universal sufferage. I think they're in the drivers seat now though boy there are a lot of radicals.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Personally I'm excited to dump a couple hundred hours into this while alt tabbing youtube.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

oscarthewilde posted:

not so easy when all the relevant resource spots have already been colonised by an AI that, more often than not, has decided it's not worth exploiting. this is, of course, in spite of the fact that there a huge demand for those goods and ample free labourers. the cost-benefit analysis capability of the AI still needs a lot of work. the market might be purely rational, the AI is assuredly not.

The capitalists continue to build clipper factories, just not in the player’s country.

I guess I hadn’t considered that giving the player control of the economy isn’t actually a fix for the AI being bad at the economy, it just gives the player another advantage over AI nations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
God I love this game now that I grok most of it. Currently taking Brazil to super power status with plans to bring the US to heel. It's insane how hard you can snowball, but I guess that's what the industrial revolution was all about. I literally cannot expand fast enough or even lose money doing it.

My biggest gripe so far is that fronts can sometimes turn into a confusing mess, and sometimes when a front is deleted or fragmented your generals will reappear instantly at your HQ halfway across the world and have to trek back. But I have full faith that they will improve it over time.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

oscarthewilde posted:

As I mentioned earlier, it's insane that two minuscule oil fields would be enough to turn my Germany into the biggest producer of oil, even as late as 1925 (and probably until the end of the game even. I got tired of the constant crashing so decided to stop that playthrough). Exploiting scarce recourses like opium, oil, rubber and dye should be priotised by the AI. Not only is it a huge money maker, without sufficient oil and rubber there is no late game economy. Either Paradox prioritised playtesting and balancing the early and mid-game or they changed some things at the last minute that actually made made things worse (not unlikely, considering the rumours we've heard of France not being quite so OP in the pre-release patch).

I wonder how useful it is as a colonial power to swipe the arabian peninsula in preparation for the oil boom in the late game

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Stux posted:

hasnt been a thing for years calm down

Can't become a mod without a few years of backseat moderating experience under your belt

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hmm, seems like when a native uprising happens it pauses and maybe even resets all colonial progress everywhere else. Wonder if that's a bug or WAD.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Trying to take this in a war will see Mexico back down, refuse to give me a war and give me a 5 year truce.

It's insane to me, that the system works like this. I need 5 more parts of the historical US holdings, including this tiny bit of Oklahoma, and it will take 20 years of truces. It's already taken me 15 years of truces to get to this point.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

From playing for a while the systems feel really good (notwithstanding poor AI) but there don’t seem to be sufficient bespoke treatment for events like the oriental crisis, the Mexican-American war, the civil war etc so the game consistently presents ahistorical results. Ahistorical results every now and then are cool but I think the bizarre northern CSA or Egypt consistently conquering Constantinople are issues that should be fixed, even if they have to be a bit heavy handed with modifiers in the short term.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The people that don't like this game seem to really loving hate this game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
victoria 3 is tropico but at a map game level. that's it, sell or ward people that way.

cheesetriangles posted:

Trying to take this in a war will see Mexico back down, refuse to give me a war and give me a 5 year truce.

It's insane to me, that the system works like this. I need 5 more parts of the historical US holdings, including this tiny bit of Oklahoma, and it will take 20 years of truces. It's already taken me 15 years of truces to get to this point.

can't you add multiple wargoals? You start with one but I am pretty sure you can buy more as maneuvers.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

check to see if they don't have a lot of +modifiers on their clout score. playing as japan and shooting for an early restoration, the aristocrats are powerful and have a bunch of things propping up their clout. removing them from government isn't enough, you have to push their clout down below powerful and keep it there for 10 years. i went for an early reform and freed the serfs, this pissed off the landowners and the warrior IG into fighting me - they lost, but the landowners were still able to come back and be a bothersome opposition faction because i did not undercut the laws propping them up like hereditary bureaucrats and a locally controlled police force

historically, aristocrats are super good at juking the numbers to underpay their taxes, or to shift more of the tax burden onto peasants. you need to build up a whole rear end bureaucracy to keep track of exactly who owes what, especially in a time before a cash economy and you can't easily put a monetary value on "how much food did this field produce, again?"

like if the tax collector isn't there watching the rice come from the fields so 1/10 can be sacked up and taken to the government, who's to say how much gets 'spilled' on the way to the granary?

The Restoration handling is real weird, at least as a player, and I'm not sure how you'd fix it given other assumptions the game makes. In particular, I found it very easy to enter a situation in which after a reform or two the Shogunate refused to participate in government, so I essentially had the historical samurai/industrialist interest group Meiji setup--except the Shogunate was only sulking and hadn't been deprived of clout, so I couldn't actually pass any more laws to continue to deprive them of clout, so my legitimacy stayed tanked for like 40-50 years (and only maybe 10 or 12 parliamentary checks) before I XCom 3%ed a professional army and was able to proceed with the restoration. No one was interested in bringing things to the historical civil war point, even sitting for years at 30% support 90% radicalism.

Yet also, Traditionalism is a generic traditionalism so I was able to claw myself up on a raw tech and industrialization level with a Euro major, and *gestures to what the AI does in North America*, so no black ships ever came knocking to tip the stack over; if I'd wanted to lose a war to enact Free Trade or something I would have had to aggress over the inevitable Euro colony in Hokkaido that I couldn't outpace because, again, no new laws and somehow colonizing Sapporo pregame is fine but Asahikawa during requires a major realignment.

Autocracies in game terms really should give you a near-immediate CW play if the autocrat themself leaves government as a result of favor dropping rather than clout dwindling.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gamerofthegame posted:

victoria 3 is tropico but at a map game level. that's it, sell or ward people that way.

can't you add multiple wargoals? You start with one but I am pretty sure you can buy more as maneuvers.

The issue is that if the other nation backs down before it comes to war, you get your primary goal but NOT any of the secondary ones you added later.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
As much as the internal politicking was advertised as important, and is modelled, does it actually do anything? I have been able to just reform governments freely and pass basically any laws I want with minimal consequences. Do elections do anything except change clout percentages a bit?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bitching on the internet seems to have worked...
Communist party is the junior senior partner in the government (translation: the other party has the prime minister, commies have the most clout), they win elections at 95% and they're rich (comparatively) so they got high clout.
Note: clout calculations include both elections and wealth. Wealth counts more than elections under universal suffrage, it's even worse in other systems. About triple or quadruple I think, the aforementioned commie party won at 95% and has 30% clout total.

Now just gotta pass all reforms and then stockpile cash so I can survive the economy imploding upon the switch to communism.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

JosefStalinator posted:

As much as the internal politicking was advertised as important, and is modelled, does it actually do anything? I have been able to just reform governments freely and pass basically any laws I want with minimal consequences. Do elections do anything except change clout percentages a bit?

Other than having to have the support of the right parties to get your desired laws passed, no. I've been in a few situations where the opposition to a law was a legitimate threat but it's usually a little too manageable.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Healthcare? Sure
Education, voting rights, exploiting native people the world over? No problem
The barest sliver of rights for women? Burn it all down

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

You can, when they back down instead of going to war, it only gives you your original goal and not any of the ones you add. I cannot force them to go to war either.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I really hope Paradox ignores the people clamoring for a return to laissez-faire "gameplay" where your capitalists build one failed factory after another while you just shrug and ignore the economic part of the game completely. I really like being the decision maker, as tedious as it can be sometimes. But usually by late game I'm just auto-expanding most stuff forever anyways.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
My economic tip: Like literally every tooltip and indicator economy wise is useless, instead go solely based on looking at sell order/buy order and how many pops/qualifications are in a state.

Incidentally my #1 UI want is some kind of obvious sell/buy indicator directly in the construction UIs, that projects an updated sell order amount based on your queued construction. For all the UI stuff they expose outright it does feel like the most useful stuff is still difficult to get to.

They should probably add an alert for when you are producing something that has no buy orders at all, it's easy to get excited by new production methods/resources and not realize you haven't unlocked anything to use them yet.

Edit: ^^^ yeah I'm dying laughing seeing at all the people asking for the Devs to take away control of literally 90% of the game from them. Not that there aren't improvements to be made. Some kind of guide to show what the AI would build next if they had control would be nice just to give ideas. Otherwise making the math helping you decide what to build and when better would help a lot with how exhausting micro'ing the entre economy can be. I'd rather they focus on improving the really good systems they have.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 27, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any way to get rid of an obligation that you owe another country other than wait for them to call it in? I know you can absolve an obligation that someone else owes you, but not the other way around.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tomn posted:

The issue is that if the other nation backs down before it comes to war, you get your primary goal but NOT any of the secondary ones you added later.
There's a finesse to it- you gotta make the other side think they have a chance. Like, don't mobilize until the last minute, or don't call in all your allies if you don't need them. If you've been trying to strike while they're weak or preoccupied, maybe wait if you want to get more than one concession out of them.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Find myself switching between the market tab and the building tab a lot, trying to figure out how many of x I need to build to plug a hole in my economy. Not taking into account what is being constructed at the time also is annoying. My main complaints about the game are mostly UI issues, which feel like they can't be that hard to solve.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Every monarch is living to like 100

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Eiba posted:

There's a finesse to it- you gotta make the other side think they have a chance. Like, don't mobilize until the last minute, or don't call in all your allies if you don't need them. If you've been trying to strike while they're weak or preoccupied, maybe wait if you want to get more than one concession out of them.

Mexico hasn't backed down in 3 plays, despite it being USA (me) and my ally Great Britain (who was an enthusiastic participant in each war) outnumbering their forces by 2 orders of magnitude. There's definitely a learning curve to what to demand/when to mobilize, it's pretty cool. Seeing the "nation is mobilizing" alert is a great "Oh poo poo" moment when you thought the play was going to work.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I don’t really understand how for two games now they’ve made an AI that thinks oil and rubber are completely useless and never, ever worth investing in production of.

I guess it might explain why the devs avoided showing anything from the mid-late game but it still feels like a relatively plain oversight? I dunno

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Find myself switching between the market tab and the building tab a lot, trying to figure out how many of x I need to build to plug a hole in my economy. Not taking into account what is being constructed at the time also is annoying. My main complaints about the game are mostly UI issues, which feel like they can't be that hard to solve.
Yeah, I want to see that coffee is expensive and then go straight to the screen where I can chose to build coffee plantations. That would be so nice.

There are a lot of really nice convenient things in the UI, all things considered. But there could be even more conveniences!

It's funny, ISP said this game is like playing Anno 1800 through a series of menus like it was a bad thing. But I am totally there for this kind of gameplay on top of a map game. Production chains are always so satisfying. Spacial puzzles don't add a whole ton to my experience to be honest.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u can use the production lens to build while keeping the market open. doesnt have the info form the main window tho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

uPen posted:

Healthcare? Sure
Education, voting rights, exploiting native people the world over? No problem
The barest sliver of rights for women? Burn it all down

Yeah my USCA run nearly imploded in the first decade because my first law I tried passing was "Propertied Women" and that triggered the Reactionary Split lol

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

fuf posted:

I like that it's not all about war, but I wish there were some more diplomatic options.

I'm having a good time as Chile "tending my garden", but it would be nice to, like, check out some other gardens too?

I haven't had any opportunities to interact with my neighbours beyond some limited trade. I'd love to form a shared market with them but I don't see how I'd ever get past the "base reluctance".

I'm gearing up for war with Argentina now just because it's my only way of shaking up the region, but it's ruining my liberal utopia roleplay so I wish there were other ways.

Like what about an "embassy" building that lets you empower an interest group in another country, and get it into Government. And then maybe countries with the same interest groups in Government should be much more willing to work with each other and share market access, form migration treaties, etc. That would be fun.

Liberals are allowed to get heated actually. Have a war if you ever feel like it

You can get AI countries into your customs union by having good relations with them, being a much bigger economy, and trading a lot with them. You have to look at their market and make a bunch of manual trades

You can get some minor bonuses from government similarities but I'm not sure if that's affected by your laws or your government or whatever.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Stux posted:

u can use the production lens to build while keeping the market open. doesnt have the info form the main window tho
Oh, that seems like a pretty good way of doing it for most goods actually. Though the reason I mentioned coffee is that I colonized the entire pacific as Japan and I have no idea where to click to build things on those little islands.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

I... think the front system may need some help.

EDIT: Is there a way to mass upgrade all industry production methods in your country?

Double EDIT: Ohhhh you do it from the main industry tab! I see.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 27, 2022

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

France were steadily #1 on GDP until 1885ish when they somehow crashed their entire economy and regressed to a 9.0 standard of living, descended into riots, and have by 1905 exploded into France, Revolutionary France, the Occitan Uprising, the Breton Uprising and the South German Uprising (Alsace-Lorraine). Good luck, Boney IV.

Britain crashed slightly less hard and just had a proletariat revolt sweep the empire. They're down to 200Mish GDP, vs my Scandinavia's 920M. Still have the Raj and the Cape, but the Hudson's Bay Company went independent contractor ... and is still called the Hudson's Bay Company.

Also, I second the AIs inability to exploit the good resources for my (and their) benefit. My oil has been stuck at +70%-75% over base since the 1870s, so I paid a cool 12M worth of debt to coerce the US into my market. They've built all of one oil field, and have space for like 30. My heavy industry remains supplied mainly by large scale whale murder. I could probably find a petrostate to annex somewhere, but one thing that is remarkably difficult in a mostly good UI is figuring out which states have what special resources.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How do you get rid of an interest group? I want the Shogunate gone, they oppose everything good, but if I remove them from government my legitimacy drops to 1%. I don't actually have any idea what legitimacy means in this game but I'm guessing that would be bad.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

How do you get rid of an interest group? I want the Shogunate gone, they oppose everything good, but if I remove them from government my legitimacy drops to 1%. I don't actually have any idea what legitimacy means in this game but I'm guessing that would be bad.

Your laws are probably monarchy and autocracy, which give legitimacy only if the monarch's associated interest group are in government. So suck it up, you have to play around the shogunate for a while, and sap their political power by passing relevant laws or empowering other groups. Easiest is just industrializing and trying to use the capitalists to pass stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
As they said above. When you construct buildings, notice the types of employees. Is the shogunate landowners? If so try to avoid buildings that increase the amount of aristocrats.