Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A friend put me onto a New Zealand-based VR accessory website called Studioform Creative that do comfort mods for VR headsets. Got their comfort strap and counterbalance kit for the Vive Pro as mine is a bit front-heavy with VR Ears attached and my verdict is...

They're pretty great! :peanut:

Well-made, much more comfortable, and doesn't feel like it's pulling forward anymore with both on my now INCREDIBLY frankensteined Vive Pro. Prices are in USD though, just as an FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

I wanna check this local VR place out. Would have gone but had dinner reservations.

What headsets are those? Pico?

Yeah, those are Pico Neo 3s. Not sure if they're Pro or Link, but the hardware's basically identical so it doesn't really matter.

A lot of location based entertainment uses Pico because Meta's commercial prices are ridiculously high.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

explosivo posted:

I have a really hard time turning off the nagging thought in the back of my head that I must look like a doofus to anybody watching me when I'm in VR and this is my worst nightmare. Like my gf is the only one here and I still peek under the headset every now and then to make sure nobody's standing in the doorway watching me play Synth Riders.

Synth ride like nobody’s watching.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I received the Quest Pro earlier today.. For modern retail headsets I've used Vive 1, Quest 1, and PSVR 1. I think that Quest Pro is the comfiest of the ones I've used.

I did an hour or so of Beat Saber, and queued up some stuff to try tommorrow. I don't know how much the experience is improved over Quest 2, but the Quest 1 had me kinda skeptical of inside-out tracking. the Pro worked great, no complaints.

Was worried at first about the lack of "full blockout" side thingies and what the effect on immersion would be. The unit comes with some basic ones, but I never attached them.

1. Once I was playing a game and focused on it, I never felt "not immersed" by being able to look below the bottom of the headset

2. I experimented with the option to have the "home screen" use passthrough instead of a virtual world. It's definitely not crystal clear, like it's a webcam kinda deal, but I had no idea how much more at ease I would feel when I'm just loving around in menus? I know that it's not amazing for the battery but I think that might be a great default for everyone eventually

It's still stupidly expensive, like I'm not recommending that people go buy it but I have no complaints and I enjoyed my first hour with it.

(one thing I found funny - I let it charge, moved furniture out of the way, got all ready to go and then of course the first thing it says is like "uhh, you know what? why don't you just sit back down - in fact, put me back on the charger while I do a firmware update and I'll beep when I'm actually ready")

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Snackmar posted:

I received the Quest Pro earlier today...

Thanks for the thoughts. Is the screen door effect still noticeable? My last VR experience was with the Quest 1 and that effect put me off.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the thoughts. Is the screen door effect still noticeable? My last VR experience was with the Quest 1 and that effect put me off.

One of my coworkers who also got one today mentioned that he still noticed it a bit, though he praised the quality of the display.

I should mention, this is actually my first time using VR since I had to start wearing glasses. For this first experience I took them off (I don't know yet if they'll fit), but for what it's worth, I didn't notice the screen door to the degree that I did back on the Vive 1, which is the headset I have the most time on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

akadajet posted:

Apple absolutely has the technology chops to pull off a decent headset. I can’t wait to be disappointed at what they come up with

The funny thing is the rumours have included people on that team saying not to get excited for this one because it was Jony Ive's last thing and he stopped them doing all the things they wanted to do with it. So it'll be very different from the next version which supposedly will be a wireless headset with a base station.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some decent sales on Meta this week. RE4, Demeo, Myst, Puzzling Places, The Climb 1/2, Walkabout Minigolf, I Expect You to Die 1/2, After the Fall, ETT, etc at 30 to 40% off.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I bought a pico4 ama. Coming up from the cv1 it's pretty great, can still see the pixels if you look for them but much less pronounced. Not much software but we've enjoyed the free web apps (moonrider etc) and airlink has been pretty great with the built in app and vr desktop. With a little effort got beat saber playable across the other side of the house over WiFi while casting to TV. That chews up the battery but don't know how that compares to the quests.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I bought a pico4 ama. Coming up from the cv1 it's pretty great, can still see the pixels if you look for them but much less pronounced. Not much software but we've enjoyed the free web apps (moonrider etc) and airlink has been pretty great with the built in app and vr desktop. With a little effort got beat saber playable across the other side of the house over WiFi while casting to TV. That chews up the battery but don't know how that compares to the quests.

Does it work well with cable?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Seems to - the usbc is light enough that it's not noticeable, compared to the cv1 cable which always had a little tug/extra weight no matter how I rigged it.

I'm still messing with the settings with and without cable to get the best out of flight sims, 72vs90hz etc, but aside from extended battery life I haven't seen much difference so far.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Streaming chews more batteries in general than I believed at first, I thought given the processing work being done on the computer and the Q2 was just decoding the video,it would give me longer play sessions, but they are around the same.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have the feeling the Quest Pro is going to fail pretty hard. For general consumer is expensive obviously, but for business it seems the pass-through is still of mediocre quality, it doesn't have depth cameras, it doesn't have hot swappable batteries (nor super long battery), the resolution hasn't increased (although it looks more clear thanks to new lenses), so I'm not sure what's the appeal for companies. The device seems a test for Meta to start doing the eye/face tracking, that's it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 26, 2022

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What does VR for business even mean? Is it specialized for like, having remote meetings that use dumb avatars, like VR Chat except with, uh... Excel and Powerpoint integration?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argue posted:

What does VR for business even mean? Is it specialized for like, having remote meetings that use dumb avatars, like VR Chat except with, uh... Excel and Powerpoint integration?

Pretty much, yes.

And your thinking it's dumb and being unable to work out why anyone would want it is what everyone except Zuck things too.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So far the main/only use for VR in business is giving employers another way to surveil and control their remote employees. That's why the idea is sort of popular among the certain dumbass upper management types, but even then it's a hard sell at 1.5k per employee just for the hardware, plus however much the software side of all that metaverse nonsense may cost in practice.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay, but then why is there a need for a Pro headset to do this? What features would these meetings support that requires their VR to be very souped up from what's available now?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argue posted:

Okay, but then why is there a need for a Pro headset to do this? What features would these meetings support that requires their VR to be very souped up from what's available now?

Because Business Edition.

If you're trying to make sense of it all, there isn't any. The answers you see and can't comprehend are the right ones, you're not the target market of upper-management suckers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty much, yes.

And your thinking it's dumb and being unable to work out why anyone would want it is what everyone except Zuck things too.

VR meetings are what happens when the manager who always says “cameras on!!” in Teams meetings evolves like a Pokémon

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Edit: ^^^ exactly

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because Business Edition.

If you're trying to make sense of it all, there isn't any. The answers you see and can't comprehend are the right ones, you're not the target market of upper-management suckers.

80% of what the professional managerial class “accomplishes” on a daily basis can be boiled down to: “pointless forced meetings that should have been an email”.

The “forced” part is absolutely integral and it’s why we started seeing insane articles last year about how muting your mic/video on Zoom was a sign of not being a good remote worker.

The unspoken corpo sales pitch for the Pro was “finally bring your lazy remote workers to heel, also if you need to justify the expense this thing is kind of like a cheap HoloLens” - and if they hadn’t shat the bed so hard on the latter part, I could honestly see the Pro finding some success.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

VR meetings are what happens when the manager who always says “cameras on!!” in Teams meetings evolves like a Pokémon

Oh absolutely and I've said as much myself in another thread that was asking about "Professional" VR. It's all about getting that managerial satisfaction of being able to watch over your peons despite this newfangled idea of working from home out of your reach. :corsair:

I meant more as in why the average person can't understand why anyone would want this.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also many white collar businesses are battening down the hatches financially in preparation for some kind of recession. Shrinking budgets for gimmicks like $1500 a head VR meetings.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

kuskus posted:

From the creative industry, these are my wishes for an all-in-one VR headset and will remain this way until it happens. I'm sad that the toolchain is there and the software to do it is 5 years old, but it's just not rolled together yet.
This would basically be iLife but for VR.

Capture studio (photogrammetry)
Let the sensors (cameras, LiDAR, SLAM, ML, whatever) make a 3D textured model of whatever I'm seeing, like EM3D or "3D Scanner App" for iOS/iPadOS, and let me use my 6dof controllers to crop the model with a bounding box like Oculus Medium. I can fill in holes, clean things up, export optimized meshes for use in Horizons or Sketchfab. This makes Quest Pro (or an analog) welcome at a crime scene, a historical site, a film studio, a life event.

3D studio
Basically Oculus Medium but without a tethered PC. Gravity Sketch and Tilt Brush are not good enough. I hear they're making a mobile version of Substance 3D Modeler for Quest 2/Pro so hopefully this is solved. Sculpt, trim, duplicate, add modifiers, paint with color, use 3D "stamps" then convert to an optimized mesh.

Animation studio
Let me puppet characters with my body, or pose them with keyframes. Roll together Oculus Quill, Mixamo's animation library for rigging, facial and IK/FK animation to let the assets from Photogrammetry studio and 3D Studio become animated and exported to .FBX or .USDZ for AR or Horizons / Sketchfab / three.js, whatever.

3D World Builder
Basically PS4 Dreams, but it's just a staging area and publishing zone using assets from the above on-device tools. Export to Horizons, VR Chat, AltSpace, or just some useful portal.

Right now I have to use the following things to get this workflow done:
iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro, Rift S / Quest 2, gaming PC, Unity, Adobe subscription, sometimes a Kinect v2.
I think they can be done with 1 device or 2 devices; iPad Pro and Quest 2.

This is everything I'd want from a "pro" VR headset and I was hoping the quest pro would have had a lot of these pipelines figured out before launch but :(

It sounds like unreal has been working towards this future but who knows when that'll be actually ready

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, all that would be amazing. But a slam dunk like photogrammetry means accessing camera footage, which is a big no no in something like the Quest for legit privacy, etc reasons. There's got to be some useful middle ground, but we haven't figured it out yet.

Maybe just a nice camera in the index frunk, problem solved :razz:

Frustrating when the tech is actually there, development just hasn't caught up yet.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 26, 2022

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Meta might say "business aimed" for the Quest Pro, but judging by my Twitter feed over the past few days it's very clear loads of people have bought it because it's a new and updated VR headset & playing games, even if it is 1500 bucks.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Meta might say "business aimed" for the Quest Pro, but judging by my Twitter feed over the past few days it's very clear loads of people have bought it because it's a new and updated VR headset & playing games, even if it is 1500 bucks.

I think a lot of people (including myself) are starved for the next big thing to propel VR/AR forward. I had the DK2, Rift, and Quest 1. I was hoping the Quest Pro would be the next giant leap forward but initial reviews make it seem less so.

I agree in that there is just a huge lack of apps and games after this many years in the market. I never played Among Us but it seemed hugely popular at one point and maybe it will draw more eyes to VR when it's released next month.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

kuskus posted:

3D studio
Basically Oculus Medium but without a tethered PC. Gravity Sketch and Tilt Brush are not good enough. I hear they're making a mobile version of Substance 3D Modeler for Quest 2/Pro so hopefully this is solved. Sculpt, trim, duplicate, add modifiers, paint with color, use 3D "stamps" then convert to an optimized mesh.

3D World Builder
Basically PS4 Dreams, but it's just a staging area and publishing zone using assets from the above on-device tools. Export to Horizons, VR Chat, AltSpace, or just some useful portal.

I was so disappointed when I heard Blender added VR support then I tried it and realized it was just for looking around and not for working in. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before they add cooler tools. Quill is fun but definitely just for doing sketches and nothing serious.

I definitely want something similar to Dreams VR for a more open platform than the PS4. Hell, I'm planning to get a PSVR2 primarily because Dreams is an incredible tool that I'd love to use in VR, but it would still be so much better if I could actually export the models to other platforms. As it stands, the only way to share your work outside of Dreams itself is to share videos/screens of it to social media via the share function--even a MM guy who posts a lot of Dreams stuff has only been able to port his work to PC by using some kind of third party AI that turns 2D videos to 3D, and frankly it's insane that such a cool toolset is exclusive to the loving Playstation.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

I never played Among Us but it seemed hugely popular at one point and maybe it will draw more eyes to VR when it's released next month.

It won't, most people playing Amogus are playing it on their phones.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Argue posted:

As it stands, the only way to share your work outside of Dreams itself is to share videos/screens of it to social media via the share function--even a MM guy who posts a lot of Dreams stuff has only been able to port his work to PC by using some kind of third party AI that turns 2D videos to 3D, and frankly it's insane that such a cool toolset is exclusive to the loving Playstation.
If Dreams does not work on PSVR2, big RIP to all of that PSVR1 content and tool set when it becomes legacy. So much cool stuff in Dreams like Hypercycle Arena, the Tron Legacy level (clip).

Unrelated novelty: there's an AI webVR tool to take "text" and turn it into something 3D. https://holovolo.tv/landing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPNrM22IBh4

kuskus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 26, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Argue posted:

I'm starting to think the Pro was launched this way to show how poorly 1000$ headsets really sell in the long term, plus it gave them an outlet to shove some future tech into said headset to see what devs and poo poo can do with it.

I feel like this is just a stepping stone headset that meta shoved out the door to give people something to tinker with to prepare for the next consumer headset.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't like the direction they're going and I fear that the budget-friendly line of Quests was too good to be true at their price points in the past. I think I got a lot of value for $300 from my Quest 2. I'm guessing Quest 3 will be $500ish now and offer little in terms of upgrades, especially in the shadow of the $1500 Quest Pro which itself isn't a huge upgrade from Quest 2. Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

sleepy gary posted:

I don't like the direction they're going and I fear that the budget-friendly line of Quests was too good to be true at their price points in the past.

This is quite literally the case.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

$300 Quest 2 was a ploy to get mass adoption of VR, specifically the Meta centric version of VR. It kinda flopped, VR grew, but Meta didn't see what they were expecting to see. So the next headsets will probably all be priced at prosumer levels or greater, because obviously counting on *the poors* to pour into your lovely ripoff of The Oasis from the notable dystopian novel Ready Player One, and shovel all of their meager earnings into your pocket was a bad idea.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They realised too late that all anyone was buying a Quest for was to play Beat Saber, Rec Room, VR Chat, Echo VR or iRacing. And only one of those gets Facebook any money, and even then only once.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Walkabout is pretty popular!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

It won't, most people playing Amogus are playing it on their phones.

Also they've already played it for months in VRChat with Jar's iteration. That is quite possibly gonna be better than the official one

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

They realised too late that all anyone was buying a Quest for was to play Beat Saber, Rec Room, VR Chat, Echo VR or iRacing. And only one of those gets Facebook any money, and even then only once.

Yes. Carmack said that popularity of the free apps, sidequest and sideloading are the reasons for the price increase.

Honestly the Connect shoud be just his talk, as he usually answers and gives reason for all the questions and speculations that arise after the conference.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 27, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If they’re feeling the pinch in their wallet from side loading, then get ready to kiss it goodbye.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If they’re feeling the pinch in their wallet from side loading, then get ready to kiss it goodbye.

Don't worry, Carmack didn't say that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1585391792735879190

https://news.yahoo.com/metas-metaverse-division-reports-3-225949011.html?guccounter=1

"Meta revealed that its Reality Labs metaverse division lost over $3.6 billion in the third quarter of 2022, compared to $2.63 billion at the same time last year.

This year continues to be challenging for Meta's metaverse ambitions. In Q2 2022, the project lost a reported $2.8 billion. According to the quarterly report, Meta's Reality Labs has lost over $9.43 billion year-to-date."

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 27, 2022