Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

what is this stuff in oatmeal? i always try (and fail) to fish it out of the pot when i prepare my oatmeal for the week, and also have to spit it out when i'm eating oatmeal every other morning

Those are the oat husks. Totally edible but not at all tasty. I think you might be buying a bad brand, or got a bad batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Is The Algorithm just incapable of determining if I've actually bought the thing I was looking at? I recently bought some bedsheets from a bedsheet webshop, and naturally in now getting a million ads for bedsheets. Only I obviously checked my brain for any other bedsheets I might need and bought them, so if anything I'm less likely to buy from the site now than I was before looking it up. This seems like a common scenario for specialty webshops. So how come they can't track that I actually bought something and am thus unlikely to buy more?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

BonHair posted:

Is The Algorithm just incapable of determining if I've actually bought the thing I was looking at? I recently bought some bedsheets from a bedsheet webshop, and naturally in now getting a million ads for bedsheets. Only I obviously checked my brain for any other bedsheets I might need and bought them, so if anything I'm less likely to buy from the site now than I was before looking it up. This seems like a common scenario for specialty webshops. So how come they can't track that I actually bought something and am thus unlikely to buy more?
I forget where, but I saw a compelling argument why this is actually one of the best times to advertise bedsheets to you. (This isn't specific to bedsheets, and may be slightly less likely for bedsheets, but I think is still probably roughly true).

You just bought bedsheets. Probably because you needed bedsheets. If they could have known that, they would have advertised bedsheets to you then. How often do people buy bedsheets, every few years? Call it every three years, about 150 weeks, so if they advertise to you on a random week (using no other signals) they have a <1% chance you'll see it on the week you decide to actually buy bedsheets. But! You may very shortly need bedsheets again - it varies a lot, but something like 5% to 15% of purchases are returned. Call it a 1 in 10 chance. If they advertise to that group, ~10% of them will be in a bedsheet buying mood, because they weren't happy with the ones they just bought. So, counterintuitively, the fact that you just bought a thing actually makes it more likely, not less, that you'll buy the same thing again very soon.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Such Fun posted:

Those are the oat husks. Totally edible but not at all tasty. I think you might be buying a bad brand, or got a bad batch.

i'd just been getting them in bulk from the local supermarket and i guess i've been really unlucky then. if i'm getting it from a brand, which would you recommend? quakers? bob's red mill?

v rolled, always

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 25, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you buying steel cut or rolled oats? I use Bob’s steel cut and have never seen anything like that.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sometimes its not the brand, necessarily. Ive bought lentils and rice from my local asian grocer for years and after the pandemic hit, quality control really went down. Id find rocks and disfigured beans ir husks in my respective products. Same brand, price, etc.

Unrelated but regarding disturbing human remains. Besides racism, some monarchies either dont care if their noble deceased are studued, and some absolutely prohibit it. For example, the british monarchy.

"Edward’s remains are sealed in the vaults beneath Westminster Abbey, unlikely ever to be studied. Queen Elizabeth II, bolstered in her stance by the Church of England, steadfastly refuses to disinter her ancestors. Responding to a request to open some tombs in Westminster Abbey for research, in 1995 the Very Reverend Michael Mayne, Dean of Westminster, said huffily, “I do not believe we are in the business of satisfying curiosity.”

Because the British monarchy is based on the royal bloodline, it faces a dilemma when it comes to studying royal remains. What if DNA proves that a dead king was not related to his father? Would that mean Elizabeth II was not the legitimate queen?

A modern analysis of the bones of two children found under a staircase in the Tower in 1674 could prove if they are the remains of the lost princes, twelve-year-old King Edward V and his brother, nine-year-old Richard, Duke of York. In 1483, the boys vanished in the Tower while in the care of their uncle, who immediately proclaimed himself King Richard III and never publicly mentioned them again. Charles II had the bones interred together in an urn and placed near the remains of the little princes’ relatives below the Henry VII Lady Chapel in Westminster Abbey. Repeated requests from researchers to study the bones have been denied.

The 2012 discovery of the remains of King Richard III in a parking lot was a godsend to scientists, who could examine them to their heart’s content. If they had been found on royal property, it is likely they never would have been studied. Doctors determined that the skeleton belonged to a man about Richard’s age at death—thirty-three—with severe scoliosis of the spine—which also fits historical reports—and numerous skull injuries, which was how Richard reportedly died.

Most shockingly, what the royal family feared all along did, in fact, come to pass. Tests conducted to match the skeleton’s DNA to that of descendants of Richard’s sister, Anne of York, confirmed a direct line of mitochondrial DNA passed from mother to daughter. As for the male side of the family, Richard’s DNA should have matched that of cousins going back to a common ancestor. John of Gaunt, who died in 1399, was the father of King Henry IV and Richard’s great-grandfather—at least in the history books. But when researchers studied the DNA of living members of the ducal Beaufort family—also supposedly descended from John of Gaunt—they found a break, euphemistically called a “false paternity event.” While Beaufort family members point to a raucous eighteenth-century duchess, some scholars believe that Henry IV was a bastard passed off on John of Gaunt, which would mean that all English kings since 1399 had no genetic right to rule."

The Royal Art of Poison- Filthy Palaces, Fatal Cosmetics, Deadly Medicine, and Murder Most Foul - Eleanor Herman

Un the same book, i believe an Italian princess or nvoewoman who apoegedly died of poison was disinterred and studied for the cause of death. So it does vary, from culture to culture.
I know this doesnt really give a decent, all encompassing answer. But i daresay the ethics are ethics until powerful people say there are no ethics and then that becomes the ethic. You know what i mean? Also that book is great and gross, please go read it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

value-brand cereal posted:

Sometimes its not the brand, necessarily. Ive bought lentils and rice from my local asian grocer for years and after the pandemic hit, quality control really went down. Id find rocks and disfigured beans ir husks in my respective products. Same brand, price, etc.

yeah come to mention it, this is something i've noticed more from 2020 onward; i don't recall eating oat husks at all before

quote:

Unrelated but regarding disturbing human remains. Besides racism, some monarchies either dont care if their noble deceased are studued, and some absolutely prohibit it. For example, the british monarchy.

"Edward’s remains are sealed in the vaults beneath Westminster Abbey, unlikely ever to be studied. Queen Elizabeth II, bolstered in her stance by the Church of England, steadfastly refuses to disinter her ancestors. Responding to a request to open some tombs in Westminster Abbey for research, in 1995 the Very Reverend Michael Mayne, Dean of Westminster, said huffily, “I do not believe we are in the business of satisfying curiosity.”

Because the British monarchy is based on the royal bloodline, it faces a dilemma when it comes to studying royal remains. What if DNA proves that a dead king was not related to his father? Would that mean Elizabeth II was not the legitimate queen?

A modern analysis of the bones of two children found under a staircase in the Tower in 1674 could prove if they are the remains of the lost princes, twelve-year-old King Edward V and his brother, nine-year-old Richard, Duke of York. In 1483, the boys vanished in the Tower while in the care of their uncle, who immediately proclaimed himself King Richard III and never publicly mentioned them again. Charles II had the bones interred together in an urn and placed near the remains of the little princes’ relatives below the Henry VII Lady Chapel in Westminster Abbey. Repeated requests from researchers to study the bones have been denied.

The 2012 discovery of the remains of King Richard III in a parking lot was a godsend to scientists, who could examine them to their heart’s content. If they had been found on royal property, it is likely they never would have been studied. Doctors determined that the skeleton belonged to a man about Richard’s age at death—thirty-three—with severe scoliosis of the spine—which also fits historical reports—and numerous skull injuries, which was how Richard reportedly died.

Most shockingly, what the royal family feared all along did, in fact, come to pass. Tests conducted to match the skeleton’s DNA to that of descendants of Richard’s sister, Anne of York, confirmed a direct line of mitochondrial DNA passed from mother to daughter. As for the male side of the family, Richard’s DNA should have matched that of cousins going back to a common ancestor. John of Gaunt, who died in 1399, was the father of King Henry IV and Richard’s great-grandfather—at least in the history books. But when researchers studied the DNA of living members of the ducal Beaufort family—also supposedly descended from John of Gaunt—they found a break, euphemistically called a “false paternity event.” While Beaufort family members point to a raucous eighteenth-century duchess, some scholars believe that Henry IV was a bastard passed off on John of Gaunt, which would mean that all English kings since 1399 had no genetic right to rule."

The Royal Art of Poison- Filthy Palaces, Fatal Cosmetics, Deadly Medicine, and Murder Most Foul - Eleanor Herman

Un the same book, i believe an Italian princess or nvoewoman who apoegedly died of poison was disinterred and studied for the cause of death. So it does vary, from culture to culture.
I know this doesnt really give a decent, all encompassing answer. But i daresay the ethics are ethics until powerful people say there are no ethics and then that becomes the ethic. You know what i mean? Also that book is great and gross, please go read it.

this does remind me of the oshu fujiwara clan who ruled the tohoku region of japan from what's now the small town of hiraizumi during the 12th century. notably, the three heads of the clan had their remains mummified and stored underneath a temple altar in hiraizumi. mummies in japan from that time frame are very rare, and most pre-meiji mummies are from buddhist monks who literally starved themselves to death; this did not apply to the oshu fujiwara, who were rulers and all very well-fed at the time of their death.

what's notable about this case is that for centuries, the japanese believed that the oshu fujiwara were ethnic emishi, descendants of a hairy ethnic group that japan had conquered the tohoku region from from the seventh through ninth centuries, and the oshu fujiwara rulers gave themselves emishi titles. in 1950, after japan had annexed hokkaido and the ainu, a group of japanese academics briefly disinterred the three oshu fujiwara rulers and studied them, concluding that they did not have any traits in common with the ainu, that they were like contemporary japanese of the 11th centuries, and thus that the emishi of honshu were not related to the ainu. this, instead of the conclusion that the oshu fujiwara were ethnic japanese and that the japanese had been wrong about their ethnicity for centuries.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

what is this stuff in oatmeal? i always try (and fail) to fish it out of the pot when i prepare my oatmeal for the week, and also have to spit it out when i'm eating oatmeal every other morning

Wait, you just make a big pot of oatmeal and eat on it for a week?

... I don't know why but it never occurred to me you can have breakfast leftovers.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

... I don't know why but it never occurred to me you can have breakfast leftovers.

i mean hey today i boiled seven eggs, and i sure as hell am not going to eat them all for breakfast tomorrow. i just store the oatmeal in tupperware and portion it out for six days and split the last portion for saturday/sunday

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 26, 2022

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

YggiDee posted:

Are donkeys really fragile the way horses are? Will they die if they think of ants? Do I never hear about donkey accidents because they're sturdier than horses, or because they aren't 20,000$ and used in national racing competitions?

Donkeys are tougher in some ways. They don't have the lifesaving speed of a horse, so if faced with something spooky like a coyote, they will face it and try to stomp the crap out of it rather than fleeing. They evolved in a drier (and often more mountainous) climate compared to horses, which are creatures of grasslands, so they have tougher hooves and actually don't do well on a rich diet or lush pastures. They're also more stoic in showing signs of illness and injury. I don't know if a donkey is just as prone to injuries as a horse, but they probably aren't used as hard and fast as even a regular riding horse, is my guess.

Horses are strange; they can live in environments ranging from the desert to the subarctic, and have amazing endurance on a par with a human's, but they are also ridiculously delicate in some ways.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

McCracAttack posted:

You can also do refrigerator oats with things like yogurt and fruit and poo poo in it. I was enjoying it for a while, but I'd rather eat something warm in the morning that cold, so I haven't done it in a while.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wait till y'all find out you can cold soak oats and never need to worry about cooking them again. Just dump them in a container with some fruit and liquid and come morning you got oats ready to eat with no more effort than shovelling it in your oat hole. Extend this soak period out to 2 days for steel cut oats.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Horses are strange; they can live in environments ranging from the desert to the subarctic, and have amazing endurance on a par with a human's, but they are also ridiculously delicate in some ways.

name FOUR ways they're delicate

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Front left leg, front right leg, rear left leg, rear right leg.

...I'll see myself out. :v:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

BaronVanAwesome posted:

They regularly get cavity issues so their mouths are falling apart, their legs are like toothpicks, so they snap constantly, their... they have parts that must be regularly cleaned or they'll get gangrenous and sick, and they get anxiety / fear issues so fast. Just so so fast.

source: Former horse girl until I met a farmer who explained the care of a horse to me.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also they can't vomit. Easier to poison.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BaronVanAwesome posted:

name ONE OTHER ANIMAL that dies when it thinks of ants

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Inceltown posted:

Wait till y'all find out you can cold soak oats and never need to worry about cooking them again. Just dump them in a container with some fruit and liquid and come morning you got oats ready to eat with no more effort than shovelling it in your oat hole. Extend this soak period out to 2 days for steel cut oats.

oh brother, not overnight oats again

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

My go-to breakfast is yogurt and granola, and it's great. I buy plain yogurt two gallons at a time from Costco, flavor it with a spoonful of jam, then dump homemade granola on top. Add fresh cut fruit if you have any. Granola normally is pretty unhealthy, but I cut way back on the sugar when I make it, so that helps.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Horses are mentally unstable as gently caress, just seconds away from a panic attack at all times.

Oatmeal can be made in the microwave, you don't even have to get it boiling, just warm enough. Absolute lifesaver in a busy day.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are there present Canadian servicemen with combat experience?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Baron Porkface posted:

Are there present Canadian servicemen with combat experience?

Yes, there were troops in Afghanistan. (I know someone is going to leap in with a million other instances but that's the biggest recent one)

Question: is there a way to prevent Microsoft Teams from tacking on a giant URL to the end of any message you copy/paste from a chat room?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Don’t forget about colic: a horse’s digestive system can suddenly decide it wants to stop working until the animal dies in agony. Often caused by feeding the horse not-grass, but hey.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Is there a goon doctor or medic that can tell me what my test results mean.? Standard cholesterol, glycemic stuff.

Happy to put them here for ease of reading.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Extra row of tits posted:

Is there a goon doctor or medic that can tell me what my test results mean.? Standard cholesterol, glycemic stuff.

There is Goon Doctor subform full of medical staff that could probably help. Usually they give you results and expected ranges though so you can sort of figure it out yourself if you're dying.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Extra row of tits posted:

You're dying op, better start eating only bacon grease and eggs right now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

YggiDee posted:

Are donkeys really fragile the way horses are? Will they die if they think of ants? Do I never hear about donkey accidents because they're sturdier than horses, or because they aren't 20,000$ and used in national racing competitions?

https://i.imgur.com/QhKo3dY.mp4

Seems pretty robust :shrug:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

YggiDee posted:

I mean this 100% unironically.

Donkeys are too horses, what steel is too ceramic.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Can dogs be trained to use a litter box?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Since retail is having such a hard time hiring, how does a seasonal place like Spirit Halloween manage to staff up all their stores for only a month?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
They pay good money.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Hyperlynx posted:

Can dogs be trained to use a litter box?

You can definitely train them to poop in the same place every time, but maybe the surface of the kitty litter would be a problem.

All of the times I've seen a dog trained, it was to go on a piece of newspaper.
Mostly for young dogs that couldn't limit themselves to two or three poops a day, or very old dogs that also didn't have the control anymore to wait until they'd be walked.

The piece of newspaper could then be on something removable that would help with cleaning.

Another thing I could see being a problem: when dogs cover their poop by kicking back dirt, they are much more violent than cats. They routinely kick back whole handfuls of dirt and leaves. Loose and light kitty litter would fly all over the room with how dogs scrape dirt over their poo poo. On flat surfaces like floors and newspapers they don't seem to do this, somehow

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

smackfu posted:

Since retail is having such a hard time hiring, how does a seasonal place like Spirit Halloween manage to staff up all their stores for only a month?

With stuff like seasonal shops the hiring barrier is a lot lower since you’re not looking for a good long term employee, you just need warm bodies for two months.

On the flip side it’s also attractive to employees looking to earn some extra cash before the holidays. You get a lot of people doing second jobs or maybe people who are normally doing gig work on the side.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
why do people get "daylight saving" wrong but not "money saving" or other uses of the word?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

butt dickus posted:

why do people get "daylight saving" wrong but not "money saving" or other uses of the word?

I don't have answer, but to clarify are you asking why people say

"It's daylight savings time"

But they would never say

"It's money savings time"

?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

not necessarily with "time" at the end of it, but like "money saving coupons" or "money saving week"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It's not so much "wrong" as the language has shifted. People say it because that is how they learned it and it's what the people around them say.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

It's not so much "wrong" as the language has shifted. People say it because that is how they learned it and it's what the people around them say.
i understand that for when the meaning of a word changes. it still bugs/confuses when people say "scan" to go over things quickly but i've given up on that. this one is basic grammar, it's the time of year when you are saving daylight for the later hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thereby increasing the amount of daylight you’ve saved

Aka your daylight savings