Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Herbert on that Andrew Luck career trajectory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm thinking Hackett and George Paton are both spicy hot right now, as in both are going to be fired come Black Monday if there isn't substantial improvement from the Broncos in the back half of the season.

The new ownership group didn't hire either one of them, so there's no loyalty or sunk cost that might keep them safe.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

BlindSite posted:

Herbert on that Andrew Luck career trajectory.

I was worried that was going to be burrow but now every chargers game is me being like herbie :ohdear: mixed in with a couple heart attacks

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Herbert's pocket presence is insanely good. Very adept at avoiding sacks

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Put Hackett in the boiling hot category.

https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1585619694345748481?s=46&t=5rmjZDtX1rd9WUrEBQkg4g

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Sounds Dangerous.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

In this case I believe him, because I don't think Paton is going to be around to fire Hackett.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Simplex posted:

In this case I believe him, because I don't think Paton is going to be around to fire Hackett.

Oh he knows he's gone too

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
It would be one thing if Hackett was a DC and struggling like this. But to struggle this badly on offense while that's your specialty is wild. It reminds me of Billick in Baltimore in 2000 when Baltimore went 4 games without a TD

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

“Kept the team together” (from part 2 of the dreaded Vote of Confidence tweet) is not exactly the vibe I am getting out of Denver either

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

syzpid posted:

It would be one thing if Hackett was a DC and struggling like this. But to struggle this badly on offense while that's your specialty is wild. It reminds me of Billick in Baltimore in 2000 when Baltimore went 4 games without a TD

Behold the Legend of Tony Banks

And they went over 5 full games without a TD, it was 324m14s of game clock between scores on September 24th and November 5th.

Docjowles posted:

“Kept the team together” (from part 2 of the dreaded Vote of Confidence tweet) is not exactly the vibe I am getting out of Denver either

Huge team bonding experience when they gather in the film room to riff on Russ' subway ads and public statements.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 27, 2022

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Simplex posted:

I'm thinking Hackett and George Paton are both spicy hot right now, as in both are going to be fired come Black Monday if there isn't substantial improvement from the Broncos in the back half of the season.

The new ownership group didn't hire either one of them, so there's no loyalty or sunk cost that might keep them safe.

I doubt Paton gets fired mid-season or this season at all, he is Elways handpicked GM successor and will probably get one more season to fix the Wilson mess.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

DariusLikewise posted:

I doubt Paton gets fired mid-season or this season at all, he is Elways handpicked GM successor and will probably get one more season to fix the Wilson mess.

It'll probably depend on how/if the new owner wants to make their mark. As others have said, it's entirely possible they could decide to use this as an excuse to clean house and put their own people in.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

DariusLikewise posted:

If Russ actually has fallen off a cliff, there is no “fixing the Wilson mess.”

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Professor Funk posted:

there is no “fixing the Wilson mess.”

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Paton. The only thing he has to hang his hat on is he drafted Pat Surtain. Everything else he's done ranges from unfortunate to complete disaster.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Simplex posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Paton. The only thing he has to hang his hat on is he drafted Pat Surtain. Everything else he's done ranges from unfortunate to complete disaster.

He’s only been there a season and a half and Surtain and Javonte Williams were pretty good picks. The Wilson trade was also viewed extremely positively at the time. It’s not like he gave up a first for Carson Wentz.

Nov 6, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s only been there a season and a half and Surtain and Javonte Williams were pretty good picks. The Wilson trade was also viewed extremely positively at the time. It’s not like he gave up a first for Carson Wentz.

That would have been a better trade.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Baron Browning is also bearing out to be a good pick and Greg Dulcich is looking like a viable starting TE.

Then again, Paton hired Nathaniel freaking Hackett

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Drafting a running back who had a pretty good year then tore his ACL is unfortunate, but really shouldn't put you on any GM of the year lists. Surtain is real good, but what else is there that even looks promising? Teddy B last year was a bad idea. He traded Von Miller for pieces that were part of what is turning out to be the worst trade in NFL history. He signed Randy Gregory who surprise of all surprises is unavailable right now.

That Hackett is so awful he needs to be fired after one season is the biggest indictment, but there's scarcely anything good to make an argument for keeping him around.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That would have been a better trade.

In retrospect sure, but is there anyone anywhere who actually said that at the time?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

If Russ actually has fallen off a cliff, there is no “fixing the Wilson mess.”

There's not even a potential out in his deal until 2026

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

In retrospect sure, but is there anyone anywhere who actually said that at the time?

There were definitely a couple Seahawks goons who tried to warn us that Russ was 100% toast. But it certainly wasn't the prevailing opinion anywhere.

Nov 6, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You don't get points for following conventional wisdom and being incredibly wrong.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Docjowles posted:

There were definitely a couple Seahawks goons who tried to warn us that Russ was 100% toast. But it certainly wasn't the prevailing opinion anywhere.

Honestly predicting any QB literally not named Peyton or Tom would be great until age 40 was a stretch

Feels like the issue was not having any out option earlier in

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Isentropy posted:

Honestly predicting any QB literally not named Peyton or Tom would be great until age 40 was a stretch

The issue was signing him to a MASSIVE contract extension before he played a down for the team. Though I guess that may have been part of the deal with Wilson waiving his no-trade clause?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The issue was signing him to a MASSIVE contract extension before he played a down for the team. Though I guess that may have been part of the deal with Wilson waiving his no-trade clause?

There's no option though, you're trading a boatload of picks, that extension has to happen.

When you make an all in move, there's no safe parachuting out of it, it's boom or bust.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

And Wilson also either had a no trade clause or made it very clear he wouldn't play unless it was for a preferred destination. I don't think the trade happens if there wasn't already a framework in place for the mega extension.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, you're trading for a guy who's rep up to that point was the best QB to never get an MVP vote. They were buying as high as you can, paying sticker price and most of the rest of the league was pissed at how good of a deal they just got.

And then it turns out he's shot. It's brutal, but it was the right decision, they just got completely and comically owned.

And yeah it'll probably get him fired, because there's no coming back from it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Yeah, you're trading for a guy who's rep up to that point was the best QB to never get an MVP vote. They were buying as high as you can, paying sticker price and most of the rest of the league was pissed at how good of a deal they just got.

And then it turns out he's shot. It's brutal, but it was the right decision, they just got completely and comically owned.

And yeah it'll probably get him fired, because there's no coming back from it.

The only hold I'd put on this is there was evidence last season that Wilson was fading. It was frequently discussed here.

Also surely they had to know what a toxic weirdo he was in the locker room.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Giving him that ridiculous extension when he hadn't thrown a pass yet was really stupid

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

The only hold I'd put on this is there was evidence last season that Wilson was fading. It was frequently discussed here.

Also surely they had to know what a toxic weirdo he was in the locker room.

Not necessarily toxic, but great Qb being an absurd weirdo isn't surprising. Brady's fitness guru nonsense, Rodgers... whole thing, Ben's Mess, Mr. Quiverfull...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair none of those other players seems to have former teammates hate them in the way Wilson does

Well outside Rodgers and Greg Jennings

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kalli posted:

Not necessarily toxic, but great Qb being an absurd weirdo isn't surprising. Brady's fitness guru nonsense, Rodgers... whole thing, Ben's Mess, Mr. Quiverfull...

Like with rear end in a top hat coaches, being that stuff is acceptable when you're winning too. When you're not,

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair none of those other players seems to have former teammates hate them in the way Wilson does

Well outside Rodgers and Greg Jennings

Oh for sure, I'm just saying

Chris James 2 posted:

Like with rear end in a top hat coaches, being that stuff is acceptable when you're winning too. When you're not,

Russ would be beloved right now if he was hitting bombs, he isn't and so everything is a reason to hate the guy.

Nov 6, 2002

I think at the time it was easy enough to write off the Legion of Boom's complaints as mostly just sour grapes for not getting all the credit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It rules that Denver thought they were getting Peyton Manning 2 and they ended up with 2022 Russ. gently caress that team.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Openly anyway. The stuff about Russ only REALLY started coming out after he face planted in Denver. All the poo poo about not giving his team mates his number, people on NFL network poo poo talking him about how he acts on the red carpet, etc. Like there was always grumbling but nothing like that.

I bet once Brady finally fucks off to the RNC, and Rodgers falls off Machu Pichu during a DMT trip, we'll start hearing everything come out about them. Especially Brady since Bruce Arians absolutely does not give a gently caress.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wickersham was on the LoB hating Russ back in 2017, but like IPS said people mostly chalked it up to sour grapes on the credit he was getting.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19446657/seattle-seahawks-cornerback-richard-sherman-let-go-problem-nfl-2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Isentropy posted:

even with Tom Booty, it felt like he was washed after that final stretch in New England. and for a decent chunk of his first season in Tampa it looked that way too. but then he was amazing his second year. but now he sucks again :iiam: