Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

The one where he’s shooting out the passenger side is there closest to what I’m looking for but not it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Is the 70s photographer that took large (or medium?) format flash colour photos of drivers he is passing, taken from his passenger side window?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I spent some time trying to track that one down but couldn't remember the name. Those photos rule.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Found him, Andrew Bush, with the help of instantman(?)

https://www.jacksonfineart.com/artists/andrew-bush/

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Potentially silly question: I'm looking at getting the FujiFilm 27mm pancake lens. There are two versions. One without an aperture wheel, so all aperture stuff is done with the front/rear wheel on the camera body, and one with the aperture wheel (and some weather proofing) that's about £200 more if bought new, compared to getting the earlier version second hand

Is there any real benefit to having an inbuilt aperture wheel? Is it just so you can have it set and ready to go? I am ridiculously new at Having A Nice Camera, and, if I'm being honest with myself, partly just want to buy something to try and keep the sadness at bay for 25 minutes.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

Potentially silly question: I'm looking at getting the FujiFilm 27mm pancake lens. There are two versions. One without an aperture wheel, so all aperture stuff is done with the front/rear wheel on the camera body, and one with the aperture wheel (and some weather proofing) that's about £200 more if bought new, compared to getting the earlier version second hand

Is there any real benefit to having an inbuilt aperture wheel? Is it just so you can have it set and ready to go? I am ridiculously new at Having A Nice Camera, and, if I'm being honest with myself, partly just want to buy something to try and keep the sadness at bay for 25 minutes.

The earlier version is out of production, which is probably why it's so cheap on the second hand market.

The benefit to having an aperture ring is mostly for the 'analog feel', it harkens back to old film cameras where you had discrete aperture rings/shutter speed dials that you had to set manually, no auto modes. Personally, I think it's part of the fun of Fuji cameras, and if you're just messing around with it as a hobby and you're not on a tight budget or anything you'd probably get more enjoyment out of having more dials to twist and turn and feel like you know what you're doing. The weather resistance is a nice bonus too if you have a body that also has that.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've mostly migrated to Capture One over the last few years, but I still have some old catalogs from my D70 and x100s days that I only have in Lightroom 5. I need to update my LR5 computer to a version that will no longer run it, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to preserve the edited states of those old photos. C1 has a LR catalog import, but it isn't able to copy all develop settings (at least it doesn't for me), just some, so the end results aren't really the same as what's in LR, and I'm not going to go through the pain of going through all these old photos to try to get the editing in C1 to match LR. My first and perhaps the most obvious idea is to just export everything as full-res JPEGs, but I'm wondering if it would maybe be a better idea to do TIFFs or something else. I believe doing TIFFs would take a ton more drive space, but get better results if I ever wanted to go back and do more editing. But might thoughts with the JPEGs is even if future editing wouldn't be great, I'd at least have those as a reference to use when re-editing in C1 (in the extremely rare chance that I actually go back to these photos for more editing). Is JPEG the way, or is there a compelling reason to go with something else?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Splinter posted:

I've mostly migrated to Capture One over the last few years, but I still have some old catalogs from my D70 and x100s days that I only have in Lightroom 5. I need to update my LR5 computer to a version that will no longer run it, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to preserve the edited states of those old photos. C1 has a LR catalog import, but it isn't able to copy all develop settings (at least it doesn't for me), just some, so the end results aren't really the same as what's in LR, and I'm not going to go through the pain of going through all these old photos to try to get the editing in C1 to match LR. My first and perhaps the most obvious idea is to just export everything as full-res JPEGs, but I'm wondering if it would maybe be a better idea to do TIFFs or something else. I believe doing TIFFs would take a ton more drive space, but get better results if I ever wanted to go back and do more editing. But might thoughts with the JPEGs is even if future editing wouldn't be great, I'd at least have those as a reference to use when re-editing in C1 (in the extremely rare chance that I actually go back to these photos for more editing). Is JPEG the way, or is there a compelling reason to go with something else?

Depends on how much space you have

I would

Export edited versions to HQ full res JPEGs
Keep the RAW files
In Lightroom export sidecar files, XMP and keep these with the RAW files just in case.

If you ever want to re-edit you can use the JPEG as a reference when you edit the RAW again in C1.
If you ever need/want to switch back to LR you will have the XMP files.

https://photofocus.com/photography/automatically-generate-xmp-files-in-lightroom/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

jarlywarly posted:

Depends on how much space you have

I would

Export edited versions to HQ full res JPEGs
Keep the RAW files
In Lightroom export sidecar files, XMP and keep these with the RAW files just in case.

If you ever want to re-edit you can use the JPEG as a reference when you edit the RAW again in C1.
If you ever need/want to switch back to LR you will have the XMP files.

https://photofocus.com/photography/automatically-generate-xmp-files-in-lightroom/

Wouldn't just keeping the LR catalog files allow me to switch back to LR in the future as long as I still have the RAWs? When I've migrated LR to a new computer in the past I did so via copying the catalog file.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice about the Topaz stuff. Thought I'd share the results. These are just screenshots I took throughout the editing process, and a really compressed final result. I shot this at ISO 1250 on a Canon 90D (50mm at f/2.8)

Original - exported to like 2048

100% crop

After some minor tweaks in Topaz DeNoise

Don't know how it'll render but here's the denoised copy

After a run through Topaz Sharpen

The end result!

Here they are as full-sized jpegs if anyone wants to scan closer for whatever reason.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAatc7

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have an elderly Nikon mount Sigma 100 f/2.8 Macro lens. The focus ring has suddenly stopped rotating properly - there is some play but it seems to hit hard stops after maybe 15° of rotation. With a bit of force you can get past the stop and it'll again move between two points of its rotation, although I found that out by accident and don't plan to repeat it. Any ideas from that vague description what could be wrong and how to address it? I typically use the lens with an adapter and manual focus, but fitting it to a Nikon body and using AF doesn't help.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I ordered some JJC lens cases and couldn’t be happier with them. Seem really well made and fit the lenses perfectly.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I'm back to photography after a long hiatus and would like to improve my workflow and organize a few years worth of old catalogs from LR 7 onward into a new catalog. I know a complete how-to regarding good practices for naming and organization is out of the scope of a simple thread reply, is there a course or expert SA likes I can watch? I've been Youtubing but the quality is hit or miss, mostly using Phlearn and Rocky Mountain school of photography channels to get up to speed. Are those decent or do guys have other recs?

I hate post-processing and realize most of my photos end up buried on a hard drive somwehere instead of actually being printed or worked on.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Do you ever get the itch to try out a different system for kicks? Sometimes I find myself missing the DLSR and the feel of its mirror mechanism, even if I have a pro-grade mirrorless camera. Or looking at compact point-and-shoots for that "just shoot" vibe. I feel like it's another effect of GAS but also a different set of tools could lend another perspective in my photograph? (I'm leaning on the former though)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What about your photography makes you feel like you need another tool to jolt it?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
using a different tool which forces you to take photos in a different can certainly be inspiring but so can just trying to take photos differently with your existing equipment or reading about photography or looking at art or any number of other things that are free

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Lily Catts posted:

... for kicks? ... GAS ...

It's GAS. I would much rather keep my $$$ and spend my time on hobby activities - going out to shoot. New systems make sense when they offer something that your existing gear can't do.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lily Catts posted:

Do you ever get the itch to try out a different system for kicks? Sometimes I find myself missing the DLSR and the feel of its mirror mechanism, even if I have a pro-grade mirrorless camera. Or looking at compact point-and-shoots for that "just shoot" vibe. I feel like it's another effect of GAS but also a different set of tools could lend another perspective in my photograph? (I'm leaning on the former though)

As much as it galls me, try more phone photography. I am forcing myself to do more quick shooting with my phone on shots I think, "I'll have to come back and shoot this" with my "real" camera. The worst that happens is it cements the idea for the shot later, sometimes I like the result as is.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Twenties Superstar posted:

using a different tool which forces you to take photos in a different can certainly be inspiring but so can just trying to take photos differently with your existing equipment or reading about photography or looking at art or any number of other things that are free

for sure. from their post i gathered that they don't need a new tool, but are in a stalemate with their photographic growth, something is missing, and they're trying to fix that by buying gear.

i agree with you, they should look at all kinds of art, all kinds of photography, listen to/read interviews with photographers (plenty of those around), etc, that's more worthwhile for moving one in a good direction than a new camera.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The only good lens I have is a 135mm and sometimes I think it'd be good to buy a shorter lens but then I think nah gently caress that, stick to your guns and learn to make the 135mm work in every situation possible, anything else is admitting defeat.

And the end result is that I take a lot of portrait photos that are mostly heads but drat they look good

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'd argue the fov is something you'd want variety in.
135 is very tight, I'd find it very limiting if that was my only option.

The body - DSLR vs mirrorless vs whatever - is irrelevant if you have the same equiv fov, no need to buy it (unless you know how the new tool will actually help you - be it more control or other features)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I just realized i don‘t know the answer to this.

If i like the subject separation/depth of focus of say a 100/f2.8 lens which other fl/aperture combos would produce the (roughly) same result?
Are the ratios the same, i.e. a 200/f5.6 or do you go 1 stop down ?(i.e. 200/f4)

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Ineptitude posted:

If i like the subject separation/depth of focus of say a 100/f2.8 lens which other fl/aperture combos would produce the (roughly) same result?
Are the ratios the same, i.e. a 200/f5.6 or do you go 1 stop down ?(i.e. 200/f4)

I am not a rocket lensist, but a quick run through some online depth of field calculators reveals that if you double focal length, you need to stop down 4 full stops to get the same depth of field: double focal length, quadruple stops. So, 100/f2.8 would have the same depth of field as 200/f11(4 stops lower) or 400/f45(8 stops lower).

Of course, the amount of the background you can see will change dramatically as you zoom in, so your composition might have to change as a result, but the included background should stay the same 'blurriness' compared to the subject.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

My wife owns an art gallery and we've been using my X100V for everything-- lightbox photos, interior exhibit shots, opening night crowd shots etc. and it's done well. I feel like it might make sense to get a different camera so we can swap a wider lens on there (and I guess other lenses?) but I'm not really sure. I'm having a hard time quantifying what I'm missing right now and how much "better" the photos will actually be. Any thoughts on this?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I understand KEH has gotten less conservative in their rating over the last 5 years. Has anyone bought "Bargain" grade stuff from them lately? If so, how honest of a rating was it? Was it mostly cosmetic wear that did not impact function in any way?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

p0stal b0b posted:

I am not a rocket lensist, but a quick run through some online depth of field calculators reveals that if you double focal length, you need to stop down 4 full stops to get the same depth of field: double focal length, quadruple stops. So, 100/f2.8 would have the same depth of field as 200/f11(4 stops lower) or 400/f45(8 stops lower).

Of course, the amount of the background you can see will change dramatically as you zoom in, so your composition might have to change as a result, but the included background should stay the same 'blurriness' compared to the subject.

It feels like the number above are wrong, or maybe i am using the wrong terminology.

I mostly use my 85mm F1.4 and 300mm F2.8. If i frame the same subject the same way with each lens the 300 has a much more obvious subject separation than the 85. The results i get from the 300 are much better (or at least i prefer them more) but it is a cumbersome lens to use. I need to be far away from the subject and need to walk further to reframe than with the 85. I am looking for an alternative to the 300 that produces the same results and was curious what specs my potential lens would need to have to be similar to the 300.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Ineptitude posted:

It feels like the number above are wrong, or maybe i am using the wrong terminology.

I mostly use my 85mm F1.4 and 300mm F2.8. If i frame the same subject the same way with each lens the 300 has a much more obvious subject separation than the 85. The results i get from the 300 are much better (or at least i prefer them more) but it is a cumbersome lens to use. I need to be far away from the subject and need to walk further to reframe than with the 85. I am looking for an alternative to the 300 that produces the same results and was curious what specs my potential lens would need to have to be similar to the 300.

Possibly a very hard/impossible to get aperture at 85mm like f/1, there's a reason medium telephotos are used for portraits when people want separation.

Fastest 135 you can find.
The ultra rare Canon 200 f/1.8, slightly less rare 200 f/2.
Some sort of rare manual only or xray lens adapted, like Kubrick.

Other options are make sure the background is far away.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use a Sigma 135mm f/1.8 and the separation is extremely good. I like it A LOT

It's the only lens I bother using, especially for portrait. The end result is too good to bother with anything else for my uses.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

What wet sensor cleaning kits are people using? I want to buy a kit with reusable wand over which one fits changeable cloths. Most shops are selling wasteful single use cleaners.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you don't find anything (I got no suggestions) a box of kimwipes and a cut up credit card will work.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Are you the same person who told me I could fast charge my phone in the microwave?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No but that's a genius idea and I'm off to try it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

I think you will need a 200/2.8 if you want to maintain the same magnification of the subject. At 10 feet a 100mm lens at 2.8 will give you around 0.5 for DOF. If you shoot a 200 you will need to step back to 20 ft to get the same framing and then you will need 2.8 to get the same .5 ft DOF.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Someone talk me out of buying the Peak Design travel tripod. I need a tripod that's a bit more compact than my Manfrotto 755CX3 and easy to deploy. The Peak Design travel tripod looks good but I'm sure that it has its weaknesses and I sure as poo poo ain't trusting the sponsored YouTubers to give the real info on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure it's fine, all the PD stuff is pretty reliable.

The main issue with light tripods is vibrations, the thinner the legs (which is a function of how many segments it has) the more it's gonna shake the camera in wind or passing traffic or whatever. Will you notice this 99% of the time? Probably not. But pixel peepers care about that stuff.

edit - maybe not the most effective talk you out of it speech ever, sorry. but they do make good stuff.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
For the price of the pd you could buy an actually good tripod, like the gitzo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

DxO is having a black friday/whatever sale, if you want to get out from under adobe's boot

If you don't need LR's library management and bulk processing tools, I've found DxO Photolab to offer superior image quality and noise control; like not even close. that's as a 15+ year LR user

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I've been using them a couple years and took the opportunity to upgrade from PL4 to PL6. The raw processing, optical corrections and noise reduction are the best I've used, and the editing tools are getting pretty decent with the new control lines stuff. Not perfect by any means (library management is a big weak spot), but along with Affinity Photo, which also has a decent discount at the moment for their 2.0 release, I'm pretty happy not using any Adobe software at all.

e: The Topaz suite mentioned upthread is also on sale at the moment. I borrowed a license from a friend to try out an older version and the sharpening package is pretty good if you've got a bit of unwanted motion blur or just missed eye focus on a wildlife shot. Not sure I'd buy it even at the discounted price, but in some cases I guess $60 to save a near-miss photo is a great deal.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 26, 2022

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

DxO is having a black friday/whatever sale, if you want to get out from under adobe's boot
Is this a buy-it-once thing or does dxo do the same "license" bullshit as everyone else in the creative space?

edit: \/ \/ \/ Nice!!! Everything else had switched to the subscription model by the time I was old enough to afford it. Super happy to buy this!

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Corla Plankun posted:

Is this a buy-it-once thing or does dxo do the same "license" bullshit as everyone else in the creative space?

Buy it and it's yours.