Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Oh yeah, artifacts you can't hear, like jitter/HF aliasing too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

We have a CD collection, but I also have a few SACDs. I like the surround effects on the ones that have them, and even when listening to the hybrid layer on a regular CD player with headphones I feel like I can hear the difference. I've chalked it up to the album being mastered knowing that people will be listening for the little details. Am I dumb for buying SACDs? Note: I love weird media formats so I won't stop even if the answer is yes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wayne Knight posted:

Am I dumb for buying SACDs? Note: I love weird media formats so I won't stop even if the answer is yes.

If you're expecting them to somehow sound better than a normal CD, absolutely. If you think they're a cool weird format then less so but still kinda yes because it's still a CD and not something cool like a Minidisc or Dataplay.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

njsykora posted:

If you're expecting them to somehow sound better than a normal CD, absolutely. If you think they're a cool weird format then less so but still kinda yes because it's still a CD and not something cool like a Minidisc or Dataplay.

I mean the multichannel ones absolutely sound different, though "better" is subjective.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's superior because it says Super Audio right in the drat name.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I went down a wikipedia rabbit hole and found this old xiph.org post about high resolution audio: https://web.archive.org/web/20180721192024/https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wayne Knight posted:

I went down a wikipedia rabbit hole and found this old xiph.org post about high resolution audio: https://web.archive.org/web/20180721192024/https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
The funny part is people read this and similar stuff and decided DSD [the main format SACD uses] was the solution to this “problem.”

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 19, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
moot point since in the best possible case, at the highest possible quality, you're still listening to neil young

garbage in garbage out

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

We have a CD collection, but I also have a few SACDs. I like the surround effects on the ones that have them, and even when listening to the hybrid layer on a regular CD player with headphones I feel like I can hear the difference. I've chalked it up to the album being mastered knowing that people will be listening for the little details. Am I dumb for buying SACDs? Note: I love weird media formats so I won't stop even if the answer is yes.

Buying the same album to get your hands on a different mastering is perfectly valid.

SACD is great for classical music. It’s kind of astonishing how many multichannel recordings have been made.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In the age of digital mixers at least, having a bunch of channels in the recording and mixing process is just how it is. I think it's only when you export the master to whatever playable medium you want that you flatten it to left/right. So if you have 69 channels in your output, and a lot of time to fiddle with placement, you might as well use them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NAD is doing the retro thing for their 50th anniversary which means basically taking their existing C399, removing the screen and adding wood, knobs, ugly beige cursive font and most importantly VU meters!

Party up front, business in the back. It even has BluOS and Dirac. All for a measly 2 grand! [er, $1972, get it?]

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm glad it's stupid expensive. It's sufficiently redolent of my childhood that if it was cheap, I might actually buy it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
CDs in general just don’t do it for me. If you just want to listen to music, there are more convenient ways. If you want to collect it, there are more interesting formats.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CDs are the cheapest way to collect music that sounds pretty good, but they’re also for promos, magazine pack-ins, DJ mixes or label compilations. I scored a 3 CD set called “Storm of Drones” on Asphodel for $9 the last time I was at Amoeba, that gave me a proper crate dig dopamine hit and 20 of the artists on it are new to me.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

qirex posted:

Party up front, business in the back. It even has BluOS and Dirac. All for a measly 2 grand! [er, $1972, get it?]

How do you design an integrated amp in 2022 and not include a USB input?

Also, these companies are at least 10 years too late jumping on the retro-inspired bandwagon. Which should shock precisely no one, but they would have done better back in 2010-2015.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

TheMadMilkman posted:

How do you design an integrated amp in 2022 and not include a USB input?

Also, these companies are at least 10 years too late jumping on the retro-inspired bandwagon. Which should shock precisely no one, but they would have done better back in 2010-2015.

So they can sell you a discreet DAC with USB input for some extra :10bux:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

USB inputs are getting more common on 2 channel gear but they’re far from universal and stuff like this isn’t really intended for desktop use. The 399 has USB in, as do the Bluesound Nodes. One thing I notice is no Ethernet, assuming the design is the same as their other amps the bluOS module is behind the fancy anniversary plaque.

e: if you compare to the 399 you can see all the inputs they left out to value engineer it to that price point.

Lenbrook is on an absolute mission to have a BluOS device at every price point. They're doing the Porsche thing where they make the Boxter/Cayman slightly worse than they could be to make the 911 look better.
Powernode Edge: $650
Powernode: $950
NAD C700: $1500
NAD 3050: $2000
NAD C399: $2500
NAD M10 or T778: $3000
M33: $6000

qirex fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 20, 2022

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bargearse posted:

CDs in general just don’t do it for me. If you just want to listen to music, there are more convenient ways. If you want to collect it, there are more interesting formats.

I rip them and listen to playlists via plexamp, but we have a blast taking turns picking out CDs to listen to while cooking. We listen from the disc more often than streaming.
Also much more convenient than vinyl.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I dunno CD's are pretty awesome. Fantastic quality for all but the most "resolving" of systems, small form factor, fairly durable compared to Tape or Vinyl LP, and now they're very affordable second hand. I have probably over 200 records, and have a Tidal subscription, but I find myself enjoying and picking up CD's a lot too

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
They're also cheap as hell to get printed, so if you're in a band, it's basically a business card. I still carry a stack of my EP around in my bag when I'm meeting new people, and you'd be surprised at how often people are actually into getting a CD from you in person. Especially if they still have a CD player in their car and they'll be driving somewhere after you meet up.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Mederlock posted:

I dunno CD's are pretty awesome. Fantastic quality for all but the most "resolving" of systems, small form factor, fairly durable compared to Tape or Vinyl LP, and now they're very affordable second hand. I have probably over 200 records, and have a Tidal subscription, but I find myself enjoying and picking up CD's a lot too

My aux cable port stopped working on my car and I can't get under the dash to fix it, so I've been listening to the 7 CDs I own a lot for the past few weeks

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I just learnt to beatbox when my car stereo stopped working.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Armacham posted:

My aux cable port stopped working on my car and I can't get under the dash to fix it, so I've been listening to the 7 CDs I own a lot for the past few weeks

Drop into a Goodwill or similar thrift store. You can get piles of CD's for $30

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

well why not posted:

well why not post some clips

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

well why not posted:

Crime on a Dime posted:

well why not post some clips

:toxx:

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mederlock posted:

Drop into a Goodwill or similar thrift store. You can get piles of CD's for $30

this is my retirement plan

Also I'm glad to see a revitalization of this thread with some new posters. If people think we still need a new OP I'll still do one, but I'm not committed to it unless the thread wants it.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
PSA: If you're going to rip CD-Rs, do it now. In the last 5 or so years I've already noticed a sharp decline in what I'm able to read, and I do this professionally so I have many decks in many formats.

Also going to thrift stores and buying weird stuff I've never heard of is my bread and butter, and I'm not going to give away my identity but I've sold some of that stuff already for a significant markup.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, what would be the For case for a new thread, anyways? I have no opinion one way or another, just curious. Hell, "just because" is good enough to me but yeah

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Eh, 200+ pages is a bit much to tell people to "read the thread" if they Kramer in with one of this thread's greatest hits

Could be good to focus things a bit

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mr. Mercury posted:

Eh, 200+ pages is a bit much to tell people to "read the thread" if they Kramer in with one of this thread's greatest hits

Does this ever happen?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

taqueso posted:

Does this ever happen?

If it does, is it a problem that will be solved by a new thread that's mostly the same people?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Probably not

taqueso posted:

Does this ever happen?

I mean people do come in here asking for advice who are then mocked, but that's really the only example I can think of

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 29, 2022

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Remember when the thread title was "Challenge completed on page 12"?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Who cares let the content make it self.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
:justpost:

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Closing the thread now would be foolish. It's only just reached mid burn-in period. You risk losing clarity in the sound stage if you close too soon.

I suggest that we all reassess our cable risers and recharge jo crystals before making any changes to the system.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
If we take this thread and point it at the home hifi thread and leave them running we can accelerate the burn in period

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bigman.50grand posted:

Closing the thread now would be foolish. It's only just reached mid burn-in period. You risk losing clarity in the sound stage if you close too soon.

I suggest that we all reassess our cable risers and recharge jo crystals before making any changes to the system.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
you know, they just don’t make threads like they used to back in 2009

in many ways this thread is much better than any new thread you could affordably make today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I’ve found that viewing this thread exclusively in dark mode in the somethingawful app really accentuates the blackness of the noise floor