Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
G'day mate, welcome to Alto Paraguay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

How do you get rid of an interest group? I want the Shogunate gone, they oppose everything good, but if I remove them from government my legitimacy drops to 1%. I don't actually have any idea what legitimacy means in this game but I'm guessing that would be bad.
If you've got a Shogunate IG then you've got a Shogun. You can see what interest group he supports on the government screen. And I can tell you that his favored interest group is always the Shogunate IG. Which does indeed suck. In a monarchy you get a big bonus to legitimacy from having the leader's IG in power. You can see some of this by mousing over your legitimacy in the government screen. If they're powerful and the Shogun backs them it's almost impossible to get a legitimate government without including them.

Fortunately playing Shogunate Japan is all about getting rid of the Shogunate. You'll want to get other groups in power alongside the shogunate that can pass laws that reduce the power of the landowners (which in Japan is called the Shogunate). Eventually if you manage to make them weaker by taking out all their pro-shogunate laws, and generally getting other interest groups more powerful, you'll be able to form a semi-legitimate government without them. This will take a while and is not super easy!

One thing to keep in mind is that the power of an interest group comes from the pops. Aristocrats support the shogun. Buildings that give the aristocrats money make the shogunate powerful. Buildings that don't have aristocrats, like factories and mines and universities, give other interest groups power.

Basically you're going to want to industrialize and the Shogunate will naturally get weaker as other groups get more powerful, but you'll have to make some choices about who you'll use to oppose the shogunate. The industrialists are an obvious one but take a while to get off the ground. The Intelligentsia are the shogunate's natural enemies, and are also a strong contender. But you can even use the Samurai or Buddhist monks if you get a leader with the right traits. You'll have to figure it out as you go.

Good luck!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Okay. I have the industrialists and intelligentsia in government already and have been glacially working on laws that are less poo poo.

Can you get rid of a leader? I'm used to CK3 and it doesn't seem like there are any interactions with characters here. Can't just start offing Tokugawas until I find one who's a reformer.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay. I have the industrialists and intelligentsia in government already and have been glacially working on laws that are less poo poo.

Can you get rid of a leader? I'm used to CK3 and it doesn't seem like there are any interactions with characters here. Can't just start offing Tokugawas until I find one who's a reformer.

It seems like your own leader is basically immortal, but occasionally you get events that can cause duels or retirement for other leaders.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Either finish the expulsion/genocide or make Cherokee culture not discriminated against. Passing Multiculturalism does the trick, but you have to abolish slavery first. I got both done before 1838 in my current run. Once accepted, you get an event which auto-annexes the Indian Territory.

Multiculturalism is OP. I banned slavery by 1841 and avoided the civil war.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Xerophyte posted:

my Scandinavia's 920M

Nice! Is there any other way to form Scandinavia than just taking over Denmark? We had an alliance but they cancelled for whatever reason. They owe me an obligation so I can maybe use that to get them in my market at least? Not sure.

GB is colonizing everything in my game, even the tiny island north of mainland Japan (I forget the name).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The time it takes to reform a law is based on your legitimacy. You can try to change a law with, for instance, the shogunate and intelligentsia sharing power, and sometimes it's a lot faster. There should be some stat like "enactment time" that you can see when you mouse over you legitimacy or a law you're trying to pass or something. That's how often it rolls events for your law. I've had the number at like 4 years between each roll, and figured it just wasn't worth it and I needed to try something else.

You're stuck with your Tokugawa I'm afraid. If by some miracle he does die you can see on one of the screens his successor- also a member of the shogunate faction. Might be hard-coded in that case for obvious reasons.

But you can get a reformer leading your Shogunate interest group. My first game did and it let me pass crazy things like multiculturalism. I think that part is just blind luck though. I don't think you can accelerate their departure unless you get really lucky with a dueling event or something. You need to make do with the people who make up your government and figure out how to use what traits they happen to have.

FishBulbia posted:

Multiculturalism is OP. I banned slavery by 1841 and avoided the civil war.
I love that multiculturalism is just objectively the best. The only trick is how to get your dumbass interest groups to accept it. There's no need to artificially balance it and give perks to racism or anything. It's just something you've gotta overcome.

Dealing with the domestic politics in this game is really compelling.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Formed Scandinavia and annexed Denmark and Norway in the 1850s, and immediately now have like a -30k weekly deficit. This wouldn't be a problem except I'm already running very close to the cap because I almost bankrupted myself desperately building railways after I switched over to better production methods in my mines and didn't notice for a while, but the damage had already been done.

What's causing the drain and how do I fix it? Looking at my spending it's not anything I can work out, they don't have a huge army or bureaucracy or anything that's sucking up the money.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Expérience has taught me that you should build more railways

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MinistryofLard posted:

Formed Scandinavia and annexed Denmark and Norway in the 1850s, and immediately now have like a -30k weekly deficit. This wouldn't be a problem except I'm already running very close to the cap because I almost bankrupted myself desperately building railways after I switched over to better production methods in my mines and didn't notice for a while, but the damage had already been done.

What's causing the drain and how do I fix it? Looking at my spending it's not anything I can work out, they don't have a huge army or bureaucracy or anything that's sucking up the money.
If they have just a couple extra construction industries that could definitely do it depending on your production methods and how expensive materials are in your country. Check the notification to see if there are any expensive government goods now.

They might have had a modest military and civil service and whatnot, but you still have to pay for it now, and you probably aren't making the same money that they were if their economy was set up under different circumstances. You might just have their normal expenses without their normal income, leading to a huge deficit.

In any case, you can balance it by deleting barracks, construction sectors and so on. You can rebuild them when you've sorted out your new combined economy.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

It's most likely construction sectors, which can consume so many resources that they spike their prices to maximum, leaving the government to foot the bill. Just delete a bunch of them.

Overbuilding oor not downgrading construction sectors is a bit of a noob trap. It's definitely something that needs to scale with your greater economy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A bunch of people (including me) have commented that it seems really hard to trade for late game resources, but I have noticed that setting up trade routes for what little there is does tend to stimulate production there a little

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Grand Fromage posted:

He likes dueling your generals and they're pretty good at murdering him, other than that you're stuck with him until you undermine the landowners.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol the game bugged out and wont let me invade a country i have provinces adjacent to.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

How do you get rid of an interest group? I want the Shogunate gone, they oppose everything good, but if I remove them from government my legitimacy drops to 1%. I don't actually have any idea what legitimacy means in this game but I'm guessing that would be bad.

the shogunate is, by design, really loving hard to get rid of. japan is loaded to be a powerhouse, so in game they model the historic forces which kept japan isolationist and medieval well into the 19th century

so you have to form your government out of interest groups. generally stacked from the most clouty down. the shogunate has a lot of poo poo propping up their clout so you can't really ditch them without tanking their government - basically the equivalent of the shogun firing all the big landowning aristocrats for ??? reasons? everyone watching the government will freak, so your authority drops if you get rid of them. mouse over their clout and check out all the laws giving them boosts. take those laws down one at a time to ebb their power

authority is necessary if you want to pass laws, which you do, to chip away at the shogunate's clout. you can form a government whenever you want with some other IG. fire the samurai, gently caress em. put in the peasants or the intelligentsia, depending on which is advocating a law that you like. slowly you will whittle the shogunate down. what also whittles them down is their relative control of your nation's economy. japan in 1836 is basically a few rich hereditary landlords and a fuckload of peasants, so the landlords - the shogunate - have tons of money and power. as you draw the peasants off the land and into factories, you will build contrary IGs like mechanics and capitalists and clerks and whatnot. grow these groups by aggressive building, which means aggressive employment. you can't just get rid of the entire powerful nobility at the stroke of a pen but you can undermine them and promote contrary interests. the most reliable trigger i've found is abolishing serfdom, which will always piss off both the shogunate and the samurai to the point that they will rebel. its a decently easy war to win (remember to fire your shogunate generals first so they don't run off with your army)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

grow these groups by aggressive building, which means aggressive employment

The level I'm at is not even knowing how to do this. If I build virtually anything, the economy collapses. Every single option is unprofitable and construction is absurdly expensive. I read in here that unprofitable is fine because in the long term it pans out, but that only works for a while because construction makes your income so negative that eventually I end up in a debt hole that's impossible to deal with.

I think construction is so expensive because of a wood shortage? But I'll spend like five years building literally nothing but logging and the wood shortage is worse than when I started. In this period a wood shortage was a major issue in Japan but it doesn't seem like the game actually models historical events that way. I've restarted three times and Russia always takes Hokkaido and Sakhalin right away, for example.

Also quiver in terror at the great Tokugawa military:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 27, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen a lot of Paradox games launched, but this has to be the worst. The game crashes after minutes of being open. Extremely disappointing

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m having fun starting and restarting as Belgium. Into the mid 1840s now and just getting my first couple of colonies.

What are you supposed to do with them? All my money is going on the ports - do they not need to be at max level?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grand Fromage posted:

Necromancers are always bad news.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Been trial-and-erroring my way through the game to figure out what works and what doesn't.

I was deeply skeptical of it when I first saw it, but the new war system is Good, Actually. Particularly the way it ties in with diplomacy - you actually need to consider the opposition of other parties with interests in the region you want to go to war in. (On the flip side, it's easier to intervene in regional conflicts yourself). The fact that the deployment, supply, and disposition of troops needs to be handled in the buildup itself is also very good. You're preparing your country for a war, it should be a resource-intensive process with thought put into it beforehand. The lack of being able to directly control your armies is no great loss - Victoria 2 was about as tactically unsophisticated as it gets. (Use the same army composition you found on a pinned post in the Paradox Plaza forums without alteration from the start of the game to the end; then point big stacks at little stacks, unless they have Gas Attack and you don't have Defense in which case do not do that).

It could probably be refined a bit in terms of being able to control your army's composition and training levels a bit more directly, but overall, I like it a lot more than I was expecting.

Echoing the complaints about how the game could use more flavor events and some AI tweaks.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m having fun starting and restarting as Belgium. Into the mid 1840s now and just getting my first couple of colonies.

What are you supposed to do with them? All my money is going on the ports - do they not need to be at max level?

Ports are primarily for convoys. If you don't have a need for the convoys you don't need to upgrade ports; infrastructure can be gained more reliably from railroads.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I finally got around to the "build a colony" part of the learn how to play thing and all that's left are -95% colony build time places. :negative:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The level I'm at is not even knowing how to do this. If I build virtually anything, the economy collapses. Every single option is unprofitable and construction is absurdly expensive. I read in here that unprofitable is fine because in the long term it pans out, but that only works for a while because construction makes your income so negative that eventually I end up in a debt hole that's impossible to deal with.

I think construction is so expensive because of a wood shortage? But I'll spend like five years building literally nothing but logging and the wood shortage is worse than when I started. In this period a wood shortage was a major issue in Japan but it doesn't seem like the game actually models historical events that way. I've restarted three times and Russia always takes Hokkaido and Sakhalin right away, for example.

Do not listen to the game telling you something will be unprofitable. The tooltip is making some weird assumptions. It's good for relative values (a big number is probably better than a small or negative number), but otherwise don't worry about it. If you think your market needs something, give it a try. If you're actually finding stuff to be unprofitable after you make it try and figure out what's going on because it is profitable to build stuff if you do it right.

One thing to keep in mind is that a new building is only profitable if it's making something useful. That coal mine is going to go bankrupt because your peasants don't need that volume of coal to heat their hovels... unless you switch over to gas lighting in some of your cities as soon as it finishes. Especially playing as Japan you need to figure out how to increase consumption at the same time as you increase production. Most countries can smooth things out with trade, but the Japanese takes some planning.

Also, construction industries are incredibly expensive! Don't feel bad about just destroying some construction industries to balance your budget if you find nothing else is working. You want to find the actual number you can support because you want to be building all the time, rather than turning it on and off, as your lumber industry will die whenever you stop building to build up cash reserves. Honestly as little as four or five might be a good number to start with for Japan. See if you can ease up from there.

As far as figuring out profit, the tool industry is a good one to shoot for early on. It can teach you how these things interact:

You make a tool industry and the price of wood goes up. So you immediately switch some of your lumber industries to use tools. This makes the production of tools cheaper as there's more wood on the market, while it also increases demand because the logging camps are now buying tools. It's doubly profitable for your tool industry and you were just clicking a button in your logging camps!

Eventually you can try building an iron mine and switching to metal tools, and then maybe when you've got a solid amount of tools iron and lumber all feeding into each other you can switch a construction industry or two over to iron frame building.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

as japan i run with about 30 construction cap for the first decade at most. just mix it in when you're building startup industry, like logging camps and iron/coal mines and a tool factory. not too many, because you have to keep in mind that each building that makes goods has to sell those goods to stay in business, so if you build 20 iron mines the price of iron is poo poo and nobody earns a paycheck

it sounds like you might be in a spiral where you are building logging camps to keep up with your own demand for wood, because of the construction you're ordering, which takes wood and fabric. each construction cap you build increases the speed at which the buildings you want to build, get built. this means it increases the amount of resources bought by you off the market to build the thing, which increases your expenses in two ways - first, because you're buying stuff, and second, because you're the biggest buyer, you're increasing the price of the thing and thus paying more. as the price gets higher it may signal to you that you want to build more woodcutters because someone (you) is demanding more wood. if so, then economically you're chasing your own tail trying to seek profit in your expenses, growing the construction sector to meet the needs of the growing construction sector. you want to do a little deficit spending if the thing you're going into debt makes you more money later, but it's easy to chase that debt spiral into growing debt to justify more debt, if debt accrued is your metric of success

at first as japan you shouldn't have to build more than say 4 logging camps, 2 iron mines, 2 coal mines, a tool factory, enough construction cap to get you to 30, and then some other stuff mixed in there. early universities are a good choice, but that means paper mills too. also a slight expansion of goods production like glass, furniture, clothing. grow stuff one step at a time, go for a steel mill and railroads because thats where the real snowball starts

also, apparently my heir is a nudist

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 27, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do I figure out what my population needs in order to increase quality of life?

Still trying to learn the game as Chile, and try as I might, I can’t seem to get my impoverishment level above twice despite how many farms and unskilled-labor job buildings I make.

It also sucks that construction takes so slow

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I think I might restart this run now that I have a bit of a better idea. Started the tutorial as Sweden, and was able to form Scandinavia and pass women's suffrage for the cheevos, but I don't have enough coal and I don't know where to get more, and it's making my economy insane.

It's really hard to tell when changing production methods will end up a good idea, the tooltip is so awful right now and I'm always confused why some of my factories are at 0 profitability. Game good so far, though, I'm definitely excited to try Egypt, Japan, and others.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

Eventually you can try building an iron mine and switching to metal tools, and then maybe when you've got a solid amount of tools iron and lumber all feeding into each other you can switch a construction industry or two over to iron frame building.

this is a good tip - instead of building more construction, you can switch some over to be more resource consuming and productive. 'more resource consuming' is not a bad thing in this game, maybe you want to eat up more coal or iron or whatever, to keep the coal miners employed. there's a bunch of peasants out there (usually) who need more lucrative jobs

buglord posted:

Still trying to learn the game as Chile, and try as I might, I can’t seem to get my impoverishment level above twice despite how many farms and unskilled-labor job buildings I make.

paradox econ games, especially victoria, aren't balanced for all nations to be equally viable. a nation like chile may be extremely difficult to play in the game's economic and sociopolitical model

also, don't worry about raising the quality of life. worry when it gets so low that it fucks up your goals. if you want to give the people a better future, its best to just shoot straight for some kind of socialist welfare state rather than brute force it through low cost of living, because that implies a large group of low-wage people toiling away to provide cheap goods for others. you cannot have cheap grain or cheap meat early without lots of people earning nothing to produce that food cheaply. better to employ everyone as gunsmiths and buy cheap meat, or just get everyone on welfare

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 27, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Found what feels like a pretty major bug. The confederates won the US civil war. I'm Canada and I want to declare war on the confederacy and stamp out slavery. I can declare war on the rump USA or anyone else, but not the CSA. I finally used the diplomacy lens to find out why, and it's because "cannot target civil war countries for diplomatic plays"

So the CSA is somehow still flagged a "civil war country" 70 years later and is immune to all plays.

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

Xerophyte posted:

[timg]I could probably find a petrostate to annex somewhere, but one thing that is remarkably difficult in a mostly good UI is figuring out which states have what special resources.
I'm happy to say this exists! If you go to the "details page" for a good (clicking on its icon in most places will do that, or from the good's tooltip) you can turn on a Potential Production overlay for that good. It doesn't include as-yet-undiscovered "Discoverable Resources" thought, so it doesn't help tell you what states might have oil in the future.

I'm really enjoying the game so far, in 1875 or so as Chile. It's definitely a tad jank and I've had the game crash three times, plus a handful of less serious bugs. I feel a bit like I've paid full price for an early-access title so I'm holding off on giving it a positive review, but I'm having more *fun* than I ever did with Stellaris or my brief tries at CK3 and HOI3.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In case anyone else runs into the perpetually busy general bug, I found a workaround.

Go to Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria 3/save games
Edit autosave_exit.v3
ctrl+F busy_characters and delete the number there (assuming only one is busy, if there's multiple you'll have to figure out which one is the right one)
ctrl+f achievement_eligibility and make it "yes" if its "no"

Obviously make a real save or copy that autosave file or something before you edit it

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
extremely annoying that after putting down a revolution my entire economy is hosed up because the revolters changed all the production methods

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's most likely construction sectors, which can consume so many resources that they spike their prices to maximum, leaving the government to foot the bill. Just delete a bunch of them.

Overbuilding oor not downgrading construction sectors is a bit of a noob trap. It's definitely something that needs to scale with your greater economy.

It's pretty bad even when I'm not building - then it's like 30k.

Interestingly, I found that if I'm building something then the QOL of my workers and my GDP spikes a lot because it's increasing the price of wood and iron, which I produce by the bucket. So construction is a good way to directly deficit-fund your GDP, which is a fun interaction.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Phigs posted:

I finally got around to the "build a colony" part of the learn how to play thing and all that's left are -95% colony build time places. :negative:

And now France, my ally, is colonizing the same state...

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

size foto

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
What's the point of mutual fund? It seems it just make building employ more capitalists, but since the capitalists need to be paid it usually makes businesses less profitable. I suppose if for some reason you want to increase the proportion of industrialist it might make sense...though by the time you get the tech, you are usually at the stage where you want to promote some other faction to pass relevant laws. Also I guess eventually when the business builds up its cash reserve the money might come back to the government through dividend tax.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
More capitalists means more money in the private investment fund for construction.

e. they really need to put the private investment fund on the main UI next to the money counter.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

mst4k posted:

Nice! Is there any other way to form Scandinavia than just taking over Denmark? We had an alliance but they cancelled for whatever reason. They owe me an obligation so I can maybe use that to get them in my market at least? Not sure.

GB is colonizing everything in my game, even the tiny island north of mainland Japan (I forget the name).

I stole the Finland PU from Russia instead. Puppeting or having a PU counts the same as annexing as far as formable empires go.

There's a "Unification Play" decision which seems to act as a special CB on the form nation screen, but I lost access to that once I had acquired enough states through other means to tag switch.

The tag switch itself was weird: Norway went from PU to annexed and unincorporated, Finland stayed in a PU, and Holstein got transferred from Denmark to me. I then fought and annexed Denmark in a regular war after the switch. I don't think there is a way to form Scandinavia without first beating up some of the people who have the parts of it you don't. Being a unified cultural empire does seem quite beneficial, you incorporate the homeland states of your own cultures very quickly and cheaply.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
How does land warfare work? I declared war on Denmark as Sweden with war goal of taking two provinces. I have 35+10 battalions and Denmark has 16.+5. But when my general (who has 35 battalions at the moment) advances the front, a battle happens where it's my 10 vs their 18 and I lose.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
If I click on a good that I'm making too much of, there's a nice "applications" list of what PMs I could research or switch to in order to put the surplus to a productive use somewhere else in the economy. But if I then click on one of those buildings' entry in the list, it opens me up to the "what state would you like to put a initial or expanded level of this type of building in" screen. It would be quite preferable if it instead brought me to the "here's all your existing buildings of that type and their PM buttons" screen.

It is really weird that I have to keep checking the decisions tab to see if Russia recently took out a loan and is finally willing to sell me Alaska. EU4 had the "I want to be notified the second this decision's criteria are all fulfilled" button years ago. Why are we going backwards.

There are three different "you've mapped the western frontier successfully" expeditions outcomes. The first two times I got events along the way for choosing between danger and progress, and it is interesting like a CK3 duel event chain. The third time I get no events, the progress bar fills up randomly, the danger changes randomly, it keeps failing after a year or so. It's like the events are firing without me seeing them and then timing out with the default option taken?

It is odd that I just simply build the Statue of Liberty myself from my construction queue like it is any other thing. No gift event, no requirement of having high relations with France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

How do I figure out what my population needs in order to increase quality of life?

It also sucks that construction takes so slow

So I did some runs as Argentina/Chile, here is what I learned:

You are too poor to build things to be self sufficient. If you wanted to, you'd have to go to the goods/market tab and look at everything that is above "average" price (or anything that has more buy orders than sell orders), and build native industry or trade for it. With the construction industry you could afford it would take a century.

A better strategy - join the British (or French) market. You'll suddenly be FLOODED with goods, and you can create advanced industries (engines, ships, electricity) to sell to an absolutely massive and growing market early. Your POPs will magically get all the poo poo from the UK or French market which is flooded with basic goods. You lose your autonomy to control some of those things, but really, the British are swimming with goodies so it doesn't matter.

Then, apply greener grass to all your provinces and don't incorporate any territories. Cut taxes, abolish your military, and wait. As Argentina, I had more people than Brazil by 1860 from immmigration alone.