Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

crepeface posted:

lol, my cousin was telling me Chinese names/languages were banned in Indonesia until fairly recently.

Isn't that just a remnant of the CIA-backed government-sponsored mass killings of anyone suspected of being even a little bit left wing back in the 60s, which included anyone of Chinese ethnicity or who spoke a Chinese language?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

A Spherical Sponge posted:

Isn't that just a remnant of the CIA-backed government-sponsored mass killings of anyone suspected of being even a little bit left wing back in the 60s, which included anyone of Chinese ethnicity or who spoke a Chinese language?

Yes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

1stGear posted:

Maybe the US should actually demonstrate a willingness to co-exist with a powerful China, maybe then Xi wouldn't correctly identify pro-West Party members as huge loving dipshits.

are there many pro-west CCP members?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

indigi posted:

are there many pro-west CCP members?

iirc they're getting struggle-sessioned pretty hard this year

https://twitter.com/jefflee81258649/status/1496503479606652934
https://twitter.com/GeringTuvia/status/1514143331865055233
https://twitter.com/BurkhardtLance/status/1538554078514384896
https://twitter.com/HaSu57Respector/status/1583834624903766016

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well, Jack Ma is still a party member AFA we know.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
good, i was worried china would continue trying to coexist with america

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well, Jack Ma is still a party member AFA we know.

He is but they've spent the last like two years stomping him into the mud, so

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

He is but they've spent the last like two years stomping him into the mud, so

Kind of more like "don't try to gently caress with the national economy" no? He's still alive with his money.

The guy who owns the Nets is very alive - Joe Tsai - and clean too. There isn't a big stalinist purge going on

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Isentropy posted:

There isn't a big stalinist purge going on

Well, no country is perfect

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Isentropy posted:

There isn't a big stalinist purge going on

70/30

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I fully expect the Nets owner guy getting the Roman Abramovich treatment when "poo poo hits the fan".

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Doktor Avalanche posted:

it links to another article which ends with this (it's supposed to portray xi as a sinister paranoid character i guess):

“There’s this siege mentality on the part of Xi Jinping that says, ‘I need to be strong [and] make the country strong because China has been abused,’” said Nathan, the Columbia University professor. “He doesn’t trust the middle class, he doesn’t trust the entrepreneurs, he doesn’t trust careerist members of his own political party and he doesn’t trust people who advise him that the United States would be willing to coexist [with China].”

and all i see is someone with clarity of vision

Lostconfused posted:

To slacken the tempo would mean falling behind. And those who fall behind get beaten. But we do not want to be beaten. No, we refuse to be beaten! One feature of the history of old China was the continual beatings she suffered because of her backwardness. She was beaten by the Mongol khans. She was beaten by the Turkish beys. She was beaten by the Swedish feudal lords. She was beaten by the Polish and Lithuanian gentry. She was beaten by the British and French capitalists. She was beaten by the Japanese barons. All beat her because of her backwardness, military backwardness, cultural backwardness, political backwardness, industrial backwardness, agricultural backwardness. They beat her because to do so was profitable and could be done with impunity.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ЗеРада posted:

🇨🇳⚡️🇺🇦 Ukraine and Taiwan are now allies 🤷

I am attempt to find new enemies Ukrainian parliamentary delegation visited Taiwan‼️

Particularly right after Xi was re-elected for a third term🤦‍♂️

"That's why it's so important to recognize the support that Taiwan gives to Ukraine, and that support is growing, and I want to express my gratitude for that." - said head of the delegation Kira Rudik.

According to her, Taiwan is now perceived as an ally of Ukraine because, like Ukraine, it fights for its freedom‼️

It is not necessary to do as Poroshenko did and turncoat for Xi, although at this stage it is better for Ukraine not to make new strong enemies, but why fly to Taiwan and directly crap into the soul of China, waving the flag of Taiwan? And all the more to claim that Ukraine and Taiwan are allies. ‼️

If you can just not do it!

Another diplomatic betrayal‼️
(from t.me/ZeRada1/10709, via tgsa)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

eSports Chaebol posted:

isn’t the Han “ethnicity” (an ethnicity of peoples speaking diverse mutually unintelligible languages) as made up as the White race? it’s just too late to get into it now so minorities get Otherized in exchange for special protections at the cost of having to wear traditional clothes and dance all the time.

hakka, yue, min, wu all very different languages, but all Han.

Hui only speak mandarin, but don't eat pork, not Han.

It's about pigs

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

god just imagine if any Western government was able to bully tech companies into funding billions of dollars of social welfare benefits

President Xi, my people cry out for freedom. Please send J-20s

indigi posted:

that all sounds great.

KomradeX posted:

Oh Xi actually learned something from history. No wonder hes an effective leader

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god olaf scholz has defected to the CPC

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow! Comrade Olaf!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

congrats to the two fake fascist puppet states :) I hope they’re very happy together

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/iamthedrifter/status/1584616179179495425

Loving the fights between people on the subcontinent over who claims Rishi Sunak.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

Well, no country is perfect

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
lovely, FLG loves freedom of speech except when its against them.

https://twitter.com/congqianman1994/status/1577171663346487297

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

DiscountDildos posted:

I just don't know why Xi would be so paranoid as to think the US has it out for China.

you'd think he read strategy documents clearly stating china is the enemy put out by the biden admin like a week ago or something

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

lovely, FLG loves freedom of speech except when its against them.

https://twitter.com/congqianman1994/status/1577171663346487297

is that you

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

fart simpson posted:

The Operation National Sword was a policy initiative launched in 2017 by the Government of China to monitor and more stringently review recyclable waste imports.[1] Before the policy, China was importing the vast majority of recyclables from North America and Europe for two decades. This practice of buying recyclables brought raw materials for the growing industrial capacity of China, but also brought a lot of contaminated recyclables which ended up accruing in China, causing other environmental concerns such as air and water pollution.

The action was interpreted as an international relations move by China against Western countries.[2] The policy caused a ripple effect in the global recyclables market, causing major pile ups in Western countries who had been collecting lower quality recyclables in single-stream recycling, and displacing some of those recyclable to other countries, mostly in South East Asia, like Vietnam and Malaysia.

In April 2017, Communist Party of China general secretary Xi Jinping in a speech during the 34th meeting of the Reform Enforcement Task Force emphasized the country's focus on environmental issues related to foreign "waste". China then notified the World Trade Organization (WTO) on 18 July 2017 that it intends to ban additional "solid waste" imports by year-end.[4] This includes plastics waste, unsorted waste paper and waste textile materials. China also announced that the percentage of contaminants allowed in recycled materials would drop from 5–10% to 0.5%.[5] In March 2018, the National Sword policy came into effect, banning the import of 24 categories of scrap materials, including low-grade plastics and unsorted mixed paper.[6]

After the implementation of the policy, a knock-on effect was caused on the amount of plastic accepted for import by Chinese re-processors.[1] Immediately after the Chinese notification in July 2017, organizations such as the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries and the Bureau of International Recycling warned that this action would cause job losses, shut down many recycling facilities and send more waste to landfills.[7] The ONS encouraged the Western world to turn to nations like Malaysia, the Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand, and India, among other countries. However, by early 2019, many Southeast Asian countries also started to reject the waste as well.[2] A 2018 study by Brooks et al. estimated that ONS could displace an estimated 111 million tons of discarded plastic by 2030.[8]

One of the main reasons that China implemented the 2017 National Sword Policy was to decrease the importation of low quality plastics that are hard to sort and recycle and were accumulating in trash dumps and at recyclers.[9] Before the ban, 95% of plastics collected in the European Union and 70 percent of plastics collected in the U.S. were sent to China.[9] Most of these plastics were low quality, because of single stream collection and increased complexity of separating different colors and types of plastic.[9]

Upon implementation of the policy in 2017, plastic imports to China plummeted by 99%.[9] This led to waste stream backlogs across Europe and North America.[9] When they could find buyers, most European plastic was diverted to Indonesia, Turkey, India, Malaysia, and Vietnam.[9]
imagine living in a country where policies named things like “operation national sword” mean “prevent the rich countries from dumping waste on us intended for carcinogen-producing processing”

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this allusion meant posted:

imagine living in a country where policies named things like “operation national sword” mean “prevent the rich countries from dumping waste on us intended for carcinogen-producing processing”

god I wish that were me

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
dudes rock

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

they're too busy holding up half the sky

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Imagine living in a country where you can get a proper education in Marxist economics and also liberal economics and then going "hmm yeah, this liberal stuff sounds a lot more realistic and convincing".

Just the biggest brain geniuses these must be.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea but on of those two will make them, personally, rich and powerful

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Economists generally aren't tbh.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Orange Devil posted:

Imagine living in a country where you can get a proper education in Marxist economics and also liberal economics and then going "hmm yeah, this liberal stuff sounds a lot more realistic and convincing".

some south asia country: superpower is when we are proud being spiritual colonists to TERF island at the edge of irrelevancy, just because the megarich skyrim NPC in charge there now is one of us

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this allusion meant posted:

operation death blossom but it's about reforestation after a fungus infestation

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

In pursuit of the "best" education for their children, parents in China sent their kids to top American business schools like Wharton. This is partially the reason why Xi is making marxism more prominent in schools.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Palladium posted:

some south asia country: superpower is when we are proud being spiritual colonists to TERF island at the edge of irrelevancy, just because the megarich skyrim NPC in charge there now is one of us

the indian middle class LOVES claiming achievements of people who dumped their citizenship the first chance they got. If a foreign nationality becomes indian however you get the most shocking amounts of racism.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Hu Jintao didn't know how
He fell afoul of a criminal organization.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
just hanging out with the fellas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssfgPKYt3es

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I got to say, taking the whole standing committee to Yan An right after the 20th Congress is a pretty big political symbol. A lot of people (both in and outside of China) will get touchy about it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I got to say, taking the whole standing committee to Yan An right after the 20th Congress is a pretty big political symbol. A lot of people (both in and outside of China) will get touchy about it.

please elaborate so I can get either touchy or smug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

kinda funny how much standing the standing committee was doing in that video!

Also I want to see the memorial now