Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

You're right but that's the cool thing about the live activity. It doesn't blow up your phone. It's just a tile sitting there refreshing. It's probably even better with the iPhone 14 since you don't even have to wake up the phone if you have the AOD turned on.

yeah but then the important stuff gets rolled over by "energy line made an SOG" one second after the big goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Arivia posted:

yeah but then the important stuff gets rolled over by "energy line made an SOG" one second after the big goal

Ah I gotcha. The tile always shows the score. It's possible there's a setting to just show the important stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What sports apps support it now?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What sports apps support it now?

It is called Sports Alert. the app itself seems more focused on gambling but it seems fairly straight forward in terms of what it does and how it functions.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
finally an app that will allow me to stop watching sports

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hdip posted:

OK. I setup a battery repair at Best Buy tomorrow, since none of the apple stores around me had appointment times. Is this something they could check before I go through with the repair? My phone was doing a restart all by itself today when the problem first happened. To bad, because I don't really have any issues with the phone besides that.

I just updated it and it appears to be doing OK right now on the charger. Battery still says service. Which it never said before today.

I think Best Buy is authorized by Apple, so they should have access to the diagnostics. Likely it will say “Problem with TrueDepth camera,” if so, that’s either new phone or no Face ID. If it doesn’t, there’s a chance it’s something else that may or may not be fixable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple's experiments with AI sky replacement not going well.

(the latest point update messed with my wallpaper rotation, some images I had selected were removed from the list and a couple random ones were added. So it's just General Bugs poo poo)

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Every other week my iPhone 13 Pro Max seems to get an exciting new scratch on the screen. Todays was quite a big one. I’m pretty careful with it; nothing else goes in my pocket with it, never leave it face down on a surface, but still constant getting scratches.

Will AppleCare replace a screen for cosmetic scratches or does it have to be smashed or cracked? I don’t live near and Apple Store so works have to send it away in the mail.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Raffles posted:

Every other week my iPhone 13 Pro Max seems to get an exciting new scratch on the screen. Todays was quite a big one. I’m pretty careful with it; nothing else goes in my pocket with it, never leave it face down on a surface, but still constant getting scratches.

Will AppleCare replace a screen for cosmetic scratches or does it have to be smashed or cracked? I don’t live near and Apple Store so works have to send it away in the mail.

Technically it doesn't cover scratches but you can always call and ask. YMMV. It does cover cracks and actual damage so do with that what you will.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lmao iPhone is finally switching to USB-C next year

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm going to get an iPhone 15 mini with USB c :letsgo:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Good. Finally - it's been way too freaking long with Lightning.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

"gritty jiggle"
"gritty eats a hot dog"
"gritty murders a fascist"

micah should do plots of how cool gritty is

WE MAY WIN BUT I MAY DIE OF GRITTY

Leafs fans notifications go dark in late April.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Duckman2008 posted:

Leafs fans notifications go dark in late April.

Oilers in February

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The usb-c thing is by 2024 right? I figured they’d milk it for as long as possible.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Dave posted:

The usb-c thing is by 2024 right? I figured they’d milk it for as long as possible.

I wonder if they will keep selling the old models with an updated logic board/chassis or they will wipe the slate clean with just the 15/15 pro SKU on sale.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Watch it just be a USB-C port on the phone end, but still USB 2.0 on the other end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Watch it just be a USB-C port on the phone end, but still USB 2.0 on the other end.

don't forget the machining marks on the phone case so a usb-c plug will fit in the repurposed lightning socket.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

What do you mean still? The iPhone ships with a lightning->USB-C cable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

Does it actually data transfer at USB 3.0 speeds? I am actually not familiar with what ships with new phones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Someone should ask the one dude who actually uses it for transferring data.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does it actually data transfer at USB 3.0 speeds? I am actually not familiar with what ships with new phones.

No, lighting is all usb 2.0 speeds. They never improved the spec at all.

Which kind of makes sense, almost no one is transferring data over the port anymore. All they care about is power.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Yeah, but probably best to bite the bullet next year so it’s sellable as they release other models.

I didn’t really read through the legislation whether they have to stop selling previously released lightning charger phones or not. Like, will they be able to sell the 14 once the dates take effect.

IMO, unless it’s super cheaper to make the 13 and 14 with a USB (which would be kind of lol if it is), this is a Europe only issue, so they would probably just only sell the 15 in Europe. Which, that is millions of sales lost , so I guess it depends on how much it costs to alter the older phones to USB C (I assume it’s a lot but I’m not exactly an expert).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Raffles posted:

Do you wear a wedding band? I kept wondering how my screens got scratched but it was my titanium wedding ribs.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

my titanium wedding ribs.

drat how lit was the reception

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

xzzy posted:

Which kind of makes sense, almost no one is transferring data over the port anymore. All they care about is power.
It's a bit ridiculous in context of their ProRes Video bullshit. Seems saner to just hook it up and copy-drag the files around in your favorite file manager, than do what people do otherwise (I'm sending it to my NAS via SMB in Files, but it's still choked by the 1GBit line from my router to it).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Weedle posted:

drat how lit was the reception

Auto-correct :argh:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a drop-resistant case for an iPhone 14 Pro? I'm looking for something that has a lip around the screen and the camera since I'm astoundingly clumsy when it comes to phones and wind up dropping mine on the sidewalk at least once a week.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

blastron posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a drop-resistant case for an iPhone 14 Pro? I'm looking for something that has a lip around the screen and the camera since I'm astoundingly clumsy when it comes to phones and wind up dropping mine on the sidewalk at least once a week.

Ringke, Merkury, Spigen, Otterbox, d-brand

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My iPhone is starting to fill up with space. Noticed that "System Data" is taking a whopping 24GB. How do I size that down? That cant be iOS, because iOS right next to it is 9GB, right?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

blastron posted:

I've been hearing a bunch about UAG:

https://www.urbanarmorgear.com/products/monarch-pro-magsafe-series-iphone-14-pro-max-case

https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Shockproof-URBAN-ARMOR-GEAR/dp/B0B94VV3PX?ref_=ast_sto_dp

It's about $80 - $100 though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Apple leather case suits my needs perfectly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Remember when Tech21 and their D3O non Newtonian material was gonna revolutionize phone cases?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

My iPhone is starting to fill up with space. Noticed that "System Data" is taking a whopping 24GB. How do I size that down? That cant be iOS, because iOS right next to it is 9GB, right?

If you have iCloud Photos enabled AND "Optimize Storage" also enabled, all of your photo and video data is actually displayed as System Data. The same applies if you use Apple Music and download your music but use "Optimize Storage" there as well.

If you don't do these things but you want to get rid of it, a Restore will fix it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

American McGay posted:

Nothing in the usb-c connector spec mandates USB3 wiring. Owners of the nexus 5x/6p found that out.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Raffles posted:

My 13 Pros screen is also scratched to poo poo while treating it similarly, have a case with a big ridge and always keeping it in a separate pocket from everything else.

Don’t have applecare either so will probably just take a bath on the trade in for a 14 Pro I guess.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is iOS loving with alarms again? I have an alarm set to repeat on weekdays, and thank gently caress for the lock screen widget that shows you your next alarm, because without it I'd not have known that iOS was just failing to set the alarm. It was turned on in Alarms and set correctly to repeat, but simply did not register with the system. If I turn the alarm off and on again a few times, it will eventually stick. Over the past week this has become part of my bedtime routine because it happens so consistently.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fedule posted:

Is iOS loving with alarms again? I have an alarm set to repeat on weekdays, and thank gently caress for the lock screen widget that shows you your next alarm, because without it I'd not have known that iOS was just failing to set the alarm. It was turned on in Alarms and set correctly to repeat, but simply did not register with the system. If I turn the alarm off and on again a few times, it will eventually stick. Over the past week this has become part of my bedtime routine because it happens so consistently.

I was having my cooking timers cancel themselves before they're finished on my iPad yesterday.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Apple leather case suits my needs perfectly.

Same here and nice lip around it

Also must give props to this screen protector 2 pack ingot for $6-7 Amazon. It comes with an applicator tray thing, I thought the protector did it go on or wasn’t even one to go on defective. Nope it was that perfect and edge to edge no bubbles. Amazing to me after years of bubble spots amFilm OneTouch Compatible with... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6BR3SH2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Alarmgate, Apple’s gone downhill, Steve would never, etc.