Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was really hoping for that Lancia.
Bummer.

Scipiotik posted:

I like the orient express. I don't like that it's going to cost $1000.

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Scipiotik posted:

I like the orient express. I don't like that it's going to cost $1000.

My 4 year old was all like "I want a lego train!! :)" Yeah, uh, sorry kid that m'f is like $400.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Those are some boring picks.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

want

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Better than any of the ideas sets posted today.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beautiful

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was really hoping for that Lancia.
Bummer.

Me too. Train is cool, bugs and diorama are fine as something I'd build out of spare parts, camera is :wtf: who wants that

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ah the bugs look brilliant though. As a biologist they're a must buy for me.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Interested in the Orient Express. We'll see what the final set looks like!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Polaroid is cool but I’ll never buy it, the train and bugs don’t interest me, and the space “dioramas” are so incredibly boring and uninspired that it’s baffling how it got chosen. The only thing that makes sense is if they’re destined to be another GWP release.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The bugs are cool and I'm gonna set them up with my succulents. Space dioramas could have been cool but the way they currently look is uninspired, maybe lego will do something to make them worth it. Other two are for camera and train people i guess, def not for me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://bricksdirect.com/lego-76218-sanctum-sanctorum

In stock currently. Will cost a little less than $200 to ship to the US. A bit (lot) better than buying in the US right now.

FYI, this is where I got mine. So I can confirm it is a legit site and a great deal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My one hope for the Orient Express is that there’s an immaculately dressed minifig with a fine waxed moustache.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Polaroid is cool but I’ll never buy it, the train and bugs don’t interest me, and the space “dioramas” are so incredibly boring and uninspired that it’s baffling how it got chosen. The only thing that makes sense is if they’re destined to be another GWP release.

The dioramas will probably fit inside this theme: https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Brick-Sketches

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like the bugs in theory but I'm not huge on how some of them are built. I like the mantis and the beetle but the rest of them aren't doing it for me. Lego will probably redesign them so I guess it doesn't matter.

The space dioramas are really clever and neat looking, but what an odd thing to produce as a set. If Lego includes a wall hanging solution, maybe it could work? They seem too small to really work as art pieces I dunno.

Everything else is a who cares from me.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Is there anywhere that outlines the contents of each individual bag in a set? It's not hard to find the full parts count, but if I take apart a big set I like to break it back up in bags for when it goes back together. I did the bucket wheel excavator by going through the instructions backwards and that was... time consuming.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Made a headhunter

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 25, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Looks nice, instantly recognizable and immediately brought back memories

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The bugs and the polaroid will be day 1 purchases from me- bugs for me, as an amateur macrophotographer that loves bugs, and my wife collects kodak/polaroid cameras so she'll want that. Kinda wish the Koala and hanging plants had made it through, but maybe they didn't want an Ideas set clashing with their Botanical line, assuming they are making more of those.

Waiting around for my Guardians of the Galaxy ship to arrive now, everything I've read about it says it's a UCS quality build without the UCS price so I'm excited about that.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a couple questions about the Lego Mario sets.

Are they done? I've looked them over and as far as I can see, they have hit on pretty much every environment, character and enemy type. There doesn't seem to be much left.

And how does someone play with them? I kinda get the moving Mario around onto tiles, but what is the point? Is there any actual danger? I know some sets have play elements but is there a way for Mario to lose a life or something?

I'm wondering how well these things have done. They are constantly on sale for relatively big discounts 20+%. I wonder if they are going to try to do a Lego Mario video game at some point.

This makes me think about Dimensions and how the final sets were never released which is kinda sad.

As far as I can tell Mario has done pretty poorly as a theme. I know some people who love them but they're constantly on clearance where I am too. I've ended up with a decent amount of Mario Lego myself, but apart from a couple of sets I've gotten them all for at least 50% off.

I think the big problem is that the theme revolves almost entirely around the game, and there's not much to the game - it's a glorified barcode scanner. People get bored with that pretty quick. Most of the sets are also pretty poor value parts-wise, there's not much to them other than the characters, which IMO are a mixed bag.

I've said it before, but the big Bowser set is how Mario should have been done. Make sets in that style (not necessarily that size) and have the game as an add-on, not the other way around, and I think it would have been a winner.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Personally I like the aesthetic of the Mario playsets and they have some neat build techniques, but they're a lot more spread out and flimsy than most builds. A bunch of them need to be disassembled to move from place to place and have the footprint of much larger sets.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I hate the app for the Mario stuff, there aren't any physical instructions included with sets(except the blind bagged/boxed stuff) in order to force you to use it but it's garbage and crashes all the time so it blows out build times.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to try and nab the dioramas and put a big well see on the train

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Other posted:

I hate the app for the Mario stuff, there aren't any physical instructions included with sets(except the blind bagged/boxed stuff) in order to force you to use it but it's garbage and crashes all the time so it blows out build times.

Just download the PDF from lego.com. It's actually pretty nice to build from giant instructions on a TV screen instead of a book that keeps trying to close itself.

e: For the record it would be nice to also have physical instructions, but you don't have to use the app.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 26, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think there is at least one more run of Super Mario sets because only 4 of the 7 koopalings are out. Also, they did Boom Boom but not Pom Pom. Unless I missed them while looking through the sets.

E: this really makes me think they should have done some actual Mario CMF. Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Daisy, Baby M&L, 7 koopalings, Bowser.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just download the PDF from lego.com. It's actually pretty nice to build from giant instructions on a TV screen instead of a book that keeps trying to close itself.

This is what I did for the big Porsche. Highly recommended.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mindstorms is being discontinued.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They still made mindstorms?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IIRC only in the education line in the end, which means Lego but even MORE expensive, because schools. Similar to the team building sets for project managers they sell, which IIRC have the highest piece priece (for standard pieces) of all sets. Though the licensed sets might have taken that crown in recent years.

e: Serious Play is the name I was searching for

tuo fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 27, 2022

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So they retire the only consumer product where the app integration made actual sense. Good job.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The most recent version (51515 Robot Inventor) is only 2 years old and from what I've heard has been receiving support during that time so it's come as a surprise.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

They are out of boxes. All boxes filled with black bricks for the Marvel bust.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

a sexual elk posted:

Made a headhunter

That is extremely good. It made me smile because I tried to build one out of an ancient x-wing set using an essential guide to star wars vehicles as a reference when I was a kid. The identifying plates on the wings are a nice touch, what kit did those come from?

e: it’ll never happen but a star wars expanded universe set from the old lucas arts games would be a dream. sets like an AT-PT or dash rendar on ord mantell fighting ig-88. or a UCS world devastator. only me and maybe a handful of people would buy it. maybe now is the time for me to get into MOCs

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 27, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Friends reboot has been announced.

New main cast (not all girls, also more diverse in general), new logo and box style. Sets seem slightly less pink but that's a broad trend and any of the individual sets would not be out of place in the current lineup.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

tuo posted:

They are out of boxes. All boxes filled with frogs.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The Wicked Brick display stand for Speed Champions cars is so loving nice, but there's no way I'm going to pay €200+ for it.

Also, picked up that little chicken coop for my park/food court/community garden shelf, and looking at the size of those eggs... those poor, poor chickens.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thought I was reading the AusGBS thread for a second and we were about to poo poo talk the reboot of a TV show :sweatdrop:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Space Jam posted:

That is extremely good. It made me smile because I tried to build one out of an ancient x-wing set using an essential guide to star wars vehicles as a reference when I was a kid. The identifying plates on the wings are a nice touch, what kit did those come from?

+

=

Also added to the wing and beefed up the bottom

Redid/lowered the rear fuselage

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Now I want a Lego Arts (or however that line is called) Set made entirely out of differently colored frogs.