Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Friar John posted:

I think I might restart this run now that I have a bit of a better idea. Started the tutorial as Sweden, and was able to form Scandinavia and pass women's suffrage for the cheevos, but I don't have enough coal and I don't know where to get more, and it's making my economy insane.

It's really hard to tell when changing production methods will end up a good idea, the tooltip is so awful right now and I'm always confused why some of my factories are at 0 profitability. Game good so far, though, I'm definitely excited to try Egypt, Japan, and others.

Coal was a pretty big bottleneck for me until I started messing around in Africa. Sokoto in particular has a province with like 80 coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
The people who are saying the late game AI isn't exploiting advanced resources aren't kidding. I've tapped out all of the oil in the lower 48 states and still can't get any on the market. Looking at Ai provinces shows no/barely any rubber/oil production.

On the other hand it's a great feeling to finally hit the virtuous cycle part of the economic growth. Outside of mobilizing all conscripts I'm not sure i could go into the red if I tried.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

JosefStalinator posted:

So I did some runs as Argentina/Chile, here is what I learned:

You are too poor to build things to be self sufficient. If you wanted to, you'd have to go to the goods/market tab and look at everything that is above "average" price (or anything that has more buy orders than sell orders), and build native industry or trade for it. With the construction industry you could afford it would take a century.

A better strategy - join the British (or French) market. You'll suddenly be FLOODED with goods, and you can create advanced industries (engines, ships, electricity) to sell to an absolutely massive and growing market early. Your POPs will magically get all the poo poo from the UK or French market which is flooded with basic goods. You lose your autonomy to control some of those things, but really, the British are swimming with goodies so it doesn't matter.

Then, apply greener grass to all your provinces and don't incorporate any territories. Cut taxes, abolish your military, and wait. As Argentina, I had more people than Brazil by 1860 from immmigration alone.

how do you have the authority to afford greener grass as a democracy?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gosh does anyone know how to get out of late game economic spirals?
I built up an extremely mighty economy, but I always had vast hoards of unemployed people. I simply couldn't produce enough jobs to employ them all fast enough. As technology advanced, my nation became so productive I had to start relying on massive exports to keep prices high. Production kept rocketing upwards, but employment didn't match. I'm paying the same amount in welfare as I collect in taxes now! I went from having a healthy income of at least 200k to being locked in the red by about -50k now. I've raised taxes, put consumption taxes on luxury goods, deceased wages, but nothing gets me out of this spiral. The population keeps growing, but there's no new jobs for them so they all end up costing me in welfare payment. I reduced welfare from maximum down a couple levels, but that only delayed the inevitable.

Even though I'm a communist council republic I've still entered the classic marxist crisis of capitalism where profits become more and more marginal as productivity increases. Unlimited growth seems possible until the 1900's kick in, and it suddenly seems like global demand dries up, prices keep pushing down, and unemployment becomes a massive problem.

At least I'm not alone, checking out the AI's they all seem to have similar problems. The more brutal societies just let their industries fail down to profitable levels, and the unemployed rot.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Baronjutter posted:

The population keeps growing, but there's no new jobs for them so they all end up costing me in welfare payment.

Could you reduce some production methods and turn some of those unemployed people into laborers? For example stop industries from using railways and employ people to push carts around instead.

In general it seems like as you advance through the production methods you need fewer employees but they need more skills.

fuf fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 27, 2022

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Baronjutter posted:

I built up an extremely mighty economy, but I always had vast hoards of unemployed people. I simply couldn't produce enough jobs to employ them all fast enough. As technology advanced, my nation became so productive I had to start relying on massive exports to keep prices high. Production kept rocketing upwards, but employment didn't match. I'm paying the same amount in welfare as I collect in taxes now! I went from having a healthy income of at least 200k to being locked in the red by about -50k now. I've raised taxes, put consumption taxes on luxury goods, deceased wages, but nothing gets me out of this spiral. The population keeps growing, but there's no new jobs for them so they all end up costing me in welfare payment. I reduced welfare from maximum down a couple levels, but that only delayed the inevitable.

Even though I'm a communist council republic I've still entered the classic marxist crisis of capitalism where profits become more and more marginal as productivity increases. Unlimited growth seems possible until the 1900's kick in, and it suddenly seems like global demand dries up, prices keep pushing down, and unemployment becomes a massive problem.

At least I'm not alone, checking out the AI's they all seem to have similar problems. The more brutal societies just let their industries fail down to profitable levels, and the unemployed rot.

A good world war could bring down the level of unemployed across the world :unsmigghh:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baronjutter posted:

From what I've seen this seems to happen if you allow immigration while having welfare. But in theory isn't it good for your industries to be running at low profits? That means that your pops are getting all of the value being generated as wages, which they then immediately push back into the economy.

Edit: I guess this would mean, however, that you can't keep expanding those industries any more which is bad if you have unemployment at the same time. The suggestion of intentionally using labour-intensive PMs seems like a good one?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 27, 2022

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

drat, it can be hard to get woman's suffrage as a communist republic, since the trade unions actually like propertied women and are neutral to woman's suffrage/women in the workplace (so they don't like you changing away from the former to the latter). At least until the event fired in the late 1800s, that helped a lot.

Baronjutter posted:

Consumption taxing services alone gives me +105k in my current game. I don't know your situation exactly, but really at this point it's the difference between medium and low taxes.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

MinistryofLard posted:

Formed Scandinavia and annexed Denmark and Norway in the 1850s, and immediately now have like a -30k weekly deficit. This wouldn't be a problem except I'm already running very close to the cap because I almost bankrupted myself desperately building railways after I switched over to better production methods in my mines and didn't notice for a while, but the damage had already been done.

What's causing the drain and how do I fix it? Looking at my spending it's not anything I can work out, they don't have a huge army or bureaucracy or anything that's sucking up the money.

Have you incorporated your new states? They won't give you any taxes before you do. It takes 24 months and takes up a bunch of bureaucracy so you'll probably need to expand your government administration buildings which will cost you even more in the short term, but it'll soon be worth it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It seems like a bit of a no-brainer to run a bad military, at least early on.

Playing the Ottomans you have no arms industry so running 100% irregulars with no artillery saves huge amounts of money you can plough into industrialising.

Nobody seems to punish it, and you can switch the military on later once you have some factories to supply it.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So I turned my Russia into a multicultural liberal paradise- however, it means that I get so much immigration that instead of upskilling my own pops and getting them out of subsistence farmer hell - the immigrants take a lot of the jobs that I create. Also, I might need to get a new computer, the performance is very slow and it is only 1869.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Gort posted:

It seems like a bit of a no-brainer to run a bad military, at least early on.

Playing the Ottomans you have no arms industry so running 100% irregulars with no artillery saves huge amounts of money you can plough into industrialising.

Nobody seems to punish it, and you can switch the military on later once you have some factories to supply it.

It also seems like even if you do have an arms industry, it makes more sense to export it all rather than pay for your soldiers to sit around next to some cannons. Then before a war just stop exporting and switch your barracks PMs.

I guess there might be times when you're trying to eke out some prestige so it makes sense to equip your army even in peacetime...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

fuf posted:

It also seems like even if you do have an arms industry, it makes more sense to export it all rather than pay for your soldiers to sit around next to some cannons. Then before a war just stop exporting and switch your barracks PMs.

I guess there might be times when you're trying to eke out some prestige so it makes sense to equip your army even in peacetime...

I vaguely recall one of the streams mentioning that it takes some time for troops to spool up to full effectiveness after changing PMs, so this might actually screw your military.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I've seen a lot of Paradox games launched, but this has to be the worst. The game crashes after minutes of being open. Extremely disappointing

Game tends to crash randomly if your pc is overloaded.

Phigs posted:

I finally got around to the "build a colony" part of the learn how to play thing and all that's left are -95% colony build time places. :negative:

You have to research a very late tech called "malaria prevention" to colonise those

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Tomn posted:

I vaguely recall one of the streams mentioning that it takes some time for troops to spool up to full effectiveness after changing PMs, so this might actually screw your military.

A year or so, at like half effectiveness. It's well-hidden near the bottom of the tooltip with no numbers.

Not much reason to consider doing it, you'll autolose any defensive war that isn't a purely continental power taking a swing at your bad boy points without considering the logistics, while having an army that still probably costs more in wages than the peacetime gear consumption of conscripts. I guess maybe if you're on a scuffed Japan run that industrialized without reform and thus looks too scary for black ships, but hasn't ditched peasant levies and thus can't give conscripts cannon--but then you probably can't export. either.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tomn posted:

it takes a year. switching infantry types right before a war is dumb unless you just can't afford the ammo or whatever at all and have warm bodies to throw at the front while the penalty bleeds away

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I've been thinking about how to get the most out of colonies, especially for small countries that start with them (e.g. Denmark or Portugal). The thinking is, they don't pay taxes, so I don't actually care how profitable they are as long as they're up and running and the locals are content enough with their SoL to not get angry. So perhaps the way to go, at least for interventionists, would be to overbuild raw resources in the colonies and subsidize them so that domestic factories have really cheap inputs and thus generate more taxable profits/wages? Basically indirectly subsidzing your industry. Not sure if the math would work out, though, has anyone tried something like this?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
game is fun, im best trading buddies with Prussia but without actually allying them, resulting in Prussia paying me tons of money to join their wars

I even got my own wargoal recently, we won against Austria and I was the only one that got "reparations" lol

also there is a cool mod on the workshop for better auto-expanding buildings, so far it works like a charm (uses another AI mod, too)

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Finnish Flasher posted:

How does land warfare work? I declared war on Denmark as Sweden with war goal of taking two provinces. I have 35+10 battalions and Denmark has 16.+5. But when my general (who has 35 battalions at the moment) advances the front, a battle happens where it's my 10 vs their 18 and I lose.

Bump, can anyone help?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jazerus posted:

it takes a year. switching infantry types right before a war is dumb unless you just can't afford the ammo or whatever at all and have warm bodies to throw at the front while the penalty bleeds away

Yeah, running a bad military definitely requires you to accept that you're not intervening in any wars any time soon. It's just that as far as I can tell the AI doesn't suddenly go, "The Ottomans don't have any cannons, let's push them around" if you de-cannon all your barracks to save cash.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Finnish Flasher posted:

Bump, can anyone help?

I've seen some suggestions that the defensive side always gets more combat width than the offensive which seems really weird but might be true? Also apparently tired troops are being used rather than fresh ones in at least some cases.

If both of these are happening then it explains why it's really hard to win some offensive battles even with a huge numerical advantage

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I really enjoyed my session last night when doing tutorial Belgium. I realized that the journal was not meant to ‘immediately do these thing’ but rather to build up to them.

Finally got my GDP up and progressed forwards. Sadly events derailed my attempt to add a police force completely :smith:

Edit: game good and more fun than I had in CK3

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 27, 2022

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Not sure the AI’s calculations of relative (potential) strength are correct. As Austria, Prussia started an escalation to attack me and take three of my provinces. But I could easily sway France and Britain to take my side and came away with Silesia and the German leadership.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Just checking, but the correct way to do industry is to remember your ABC: Always Be Constructing, right?
The only caveat is that the construction industry supercharges certain industries (e.g. iron on the second construction method) so you need to be careful not to create a bubble, so gotta make sure there's some demand for the construction materials when you need to chill out.

Apart from that, if you can run construction while staying in the green (including building costs) either expand construction or drop taxes, depending on how much population you have: high population build more, low population drop taxes so they have more kids.

Unrelated:
1_ how the gently caress can I find rubber / oil / a given resource on the map so I know who to smooze with?
E: I mean deposits, not an active gathering industry
2_ if the nation in point 1 is unrecognized can I recognize them or do I need to do an imperialism to get at their resources?
(It's the 19th century, I think I already know the answer)

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The only way to get recognized that I can tell is to win a recognition war against a GP. Easiest way to do that is find a GP with no allies and that's having some trouble and declare war, if they mobilize and wrack up debt then the debt will eventually force them to give up without any battles being fought.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
when waging a war for independence you still pay your overlord 20% of your gdp -_-

e: the french helped me by sending 187k men to die of attrition in the middle of nowhere -_- -_-

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 27, 2022

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Omobono posted:

Unrelated:
1_ how the gently caress can I find rubber / oil / a given resource on the map so I know who to smooze with?
E: I mean deposits, not an active gathering industry
2_ if the nation in point 1 is unrecognized can I recognize them or do I need to do an imperialism to get at their resources?
(It's the 19th century, I think I already know the answer)

If you on the resource's icon, it opens a page where three options in the top right allow you to search for potential, production, and consumption.
This mapmode does not tell you where undiscovered resources are however.

You can trade with unrecognized countries and otherwise interact with them. You simply disrespect them. Most of them won't develop their advanced resources however. And they will sometimes have unfavourable trade laws, or even ban foreign trade altogether. You can war with them over this

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

trapped mouse posted:

I saw this online, refused to believe it until I looked into the game files myself and it's real. It's under the Karl Marx Events file:

Makes me wonder what other references have been snuck in this game!

lmao, this rules

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Grand Fromage posted:

The level I'm at is not even knowing how to do this. If I build virtually anything, the economy collapses. Every single option is unprofitable and construction is absurdly expensive. I read in here that unprofitable is fine because in the long term it pans out, but that only works for a while because construction makes your income so negative that eventually I end up in a debt hole that's impossible to deal with.

I think construction is so expensive because of a wood shortage? But I'll spend like five years building literally nothing but logging and the wood shortage is worse than when I started. In this period a wood shortage was a major issue in Japan but it doesn't seem like the game actually models historical events that way. I've restarted three times and Russia always takes Hokkaido and Sakhalin right away, for example.

Also quiver in terror at the great Tokugawa military:

Belatedly, go into the building screen and expand your logging camps, see how many of them are set to hardwood. While hardwood is important for a few things, you don't need that much and having it on absolutely slashes your regular wood production. Just mouse over the option for each prefecture and take a look at the end prices, not what the substitution cost is or whatever in this case, and try to get wood for cheap while hardwood hangs out in the middle range.

You can also do this for stuff like farms with multiple good outputs. It's a little annoying and I don't look forward to having to do it in an unpaused multiplayer, but you usually only have to do it once and it's been that one neat trick so far.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Britain, as a "customs union" I thought we were taking an oath of economic bro-hood. Why am I seeing words like "suzerain" in my tooltips bro? I didn't mean for things to get so serious so fast, I need some space.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I tried it and the Indian Territory start is indeed very hard. You start as a US puppet and it's incredibly easy to crash your entire economy.

Gonna try Spiff's Jan Mayen stratfor the economy. If it works the problem then becomes how to become independant.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

CuddleCryptid posted:

Britain, as a "customs union" I thought we were taking an oath of economic bro-hood. Why am I seeing words like "suzerain" in my tooltips bro? I didn't mean for things to get so serious so fast, I need some space.

Yeah it's interesting how sharing a market is assumed to be a relation of domination that countries are resistant to, rather than something that is often going to be mutually beneficial.

(can you tell I'm still bitter about my Chile game being stuck in a market on my own and unable to join a union with anyone)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I kinda like the military changes, but the way peacing out works is completely bonkers. I constantly see the AI fighting multi-year hellwars even though the too tip says that both sides want to peace out. Or even worse, they never end because of no front, locking the involved countries out of Diplomatic Plays forever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

I kinda like the military changes, but the way peacing out works is completely bonkers. I constantly see the AI fighting multi-year hellwars even though the too tip says that both sides want to peace out. Or even worse, they never end because of no front, locking the involved countries out of Diplomatic Plays forever.

Yeah the front system is hard to wrap your head around. You basically can only expand off the main body of your nation, no "grab this area and surround your enemies".

I did find out that you need to set up a naval invasion through the boats and then select the army from that interface, you can't just do it from the army interface. But even then I tried that and got absolutely wrecked even with three times the troops because coastal defenses are no joke.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
If I join in the diplomatic play started by an AI nation, how do I get them to add war goals that benefit me as a payment for swaying me?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah the front system is hard to wrap your head around. You basically can only expand off the main body of your nation, no "grab this area and surround your enemies".

I did find out that you need to set up a naval invasion through the boats and then select the army from that interface, you can't just do it from the army interface. But even then I tried that and got absolutely wrecked even with three times the troops because coastal defenses are no joke.

If the issue was only that it's hard to wrap around my head, it would be fine to me. But I've seen an AI war which went on forever, because both nations didn't have a front. They just stayed mobilized and looked at each other for 12 years.

I don't even know why they didn't have a front. They didn't border each other directly, but they were all Mediterranean nations with functional fleets. It wasn't a case where a landlocked nation joins a war and there is literally no way to reach it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Star posted:

If I join in the diplomatic play started by an AI nation, how do I get them to add war goals that benefit me as a payment for swaying me?

They may offer so freely (it's a envelope at the top) but there doesn't seem to be any way to demand such from the AI for joining. I've had prussia offer me Venice if I help them beat up Austria (tempting, but no Austria is scary) so it can happen.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Nothingtoseehere posted:

They may offer so freely (it's a envelope at the top) but there doesn't seem to be any way to demand such from the AI for joining. I've had prussia offer me Venice if I help them beat up Austria (tempting, but no Austria is scary) so it can happen.

Okay, too bad. Feels like it should be doable.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Getting the event as the US where Andrew Jackson becomes anti slavery less than one month into the game start is hell of a good fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

If the issue was only that it's hard to wrap around my head, it would be fine to me. But I've seen an AI war which went on forever, because both nations didn't have a front. They just stayed mobilized and looked at each other for 12 years.

I don't even know why they didn't have a front. They didn't border each other directly, but they were all Mediterranean nations with functional fleets. It wasn't a case where a landlocked nation joins a war and there is literally no way to reach it.

I think that is probably mostly a bug, especially if they are just wearing their economy to tatters mobilizing for no reason.