Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

Not according to the Torque Test Channel.
745-ish in forward stock, and the gas powered one only goes in forward (1100+ foot pounds.)

I didn't see any other threads with this info, but I don't sub to the tools thread or whatever. Thought it fit it here just fine. So if you knew previously, you failed to post it in the appropriate place, didn't you? :P

Then they didn't test the actual high torque one.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2767-20

E: didn't realize you don't follow the stool thread(s).

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OOF

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

builds character posted:

Yeah, I have the big dewalt impact and it is very good. Less expensive and slightly fewer ft lbs but not in a way that matters for any of us, I think. I’m skeptical of anything HF but I know they’ve made a few good things.

HF is definitely coming up in quality. They still make, or rather, sell the cheap stuff, but some of the newer stuff is pretty swank. Predictably more expensive, too - sometimes approaching name-brand, unfortunately.

Elviscat posted:

Those Torque numbers are the same as the old corded tools horsepower ratings, maybe generously achievable under a biased manufacturer's test.

I'd also bet a HF "12 Ah" battery has way less actual amp hours than the equivalent Milwaukee or Dewalt.

Maybe - but it's still a big ol' boy.

quote:

I have the big Dewalt 1/2", and it's awesome, a step down from the equivalent Milwaukee, but whatever.

I may have to pick up the Dewalt and a couple batteries/charger just for flexibility. I already have some old B&D Firestorm tools using an adapter to the B&D 20V Max batteries. Pity the parent company made the B&D and Dewalt 20V Max batteries incompatible. Not just physically - as I recall, one has on-board BMS, and the other lets the charger handle it. Same damned company, but...

wesleywillis posted:

Then they didn't test the actual high torque one.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2767-20

E: didn't realize you don't follow the stool thread(s).

I hate to keep arguing no I don't, but yes, they did. 2762-20 is right there below the 2864:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PU_V1btloA

It did 778 foot pounds in 15 seconds. It did do 801 with the 12Ah high current battery, BTW.

(I'll stop now, before I become the failure.)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Heard y’all love two piece wheels, so how about five piece wheels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwn6ldYGbnw

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

`Nemesis posted:

welp i accidentally watched the whole thing. fascinating video

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
"dunno why anyone would watch this" I mean same dude but I did

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I see big boys like these in various stages of torn apart in the mechanic's yard as I drive by every day, so its fun to watch the actual process.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

"dunno why anyone would watch this" I mean same dude but I did

Same. I leaned several things about those machines in the process.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Raluek posted:

welp i accidentally watched the whole thing. fascinating video

same.. really helped to kick the replay speed up a touch but yeah.. it was fascinating how huge all those parts are.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh nooo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fine, they just haven't taken it out of the shrinkwrap yet

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That there is a class 40 receiver hitch.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

at least if the ball part starts trying to sag, it'll tighten one side of the hitch

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Alignment looks good, anyway.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

That's not what I meant when I said you should chrome your wheels!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

if your tire is made of ice, then you should get great traction on ice...that's who the elements work right?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

`Nemesis posted:

That guys’ channel is great. He blows up old useless diesel engines sometimes and wrecks buses.

I unsubscribed because he’s kind of chud adjacent in his videos with respect to government emissions controls and such and it got annoying. But I’ll still watch the odd video because it’s such unique content.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Yep, Altima.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

That's not what I meant when I said you should chrome your wheels!

Not gonna lie, I thought someone had put a weird chrome motorcycle fender under their car's fender as a fashion thing. Now that I realize what that is, I wish that was true.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PhotoKirk posted:

Yep, Altima.

Exactly what I thought too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every time I see that tire, I can never figure out why it is so shiny.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Every time I see that tire, I can never figure out why it is so shiny.

Because it is wet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wolrah posted:

Because it is wet.

That makes no sense. Something being wet doesn't turn it chrome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah! Also, who spilled chrome all over the street??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

at least if the ball part starts trying to sag, it'll tighten one side of the hitch
god drat :lol:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Smooth + wet = reflective

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Today I learned that I am reflective

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

namlosh posted:

Today I learned that sharks are reflective

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sharkytm posted:

Exactly what I thought too.

At least it's a 98-99 Altima. 93-01 were decent cars as long as you didn't ignore timing chain rattle (KA24DE, so a very typical problem). Unfortunately, timing chain anything is an engine out job on those fuckers, and the distributors were prone to getting oil in them and fouling the optical pickup once the seals went inside them (no repair kit, NLA from Nissan, remans almost always have the same problem, and it's a distributor specific to the FWD KA24DE). PCV valve or power steering pump may as well be an engine out job too (intake manifold comes off, PITA on those cars).

Had a beat to poo poo 99. Scooted pretty decent, just tried to bankrupt me (mostly PO neglect). I'd own another one if I could get a 00-01 with a 5 speed and good timing chain guides.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah! Also, who spilled chrome all over the street??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations

Yes, at a shallow angle, water will totally reflect light, we are looking head on at that tire.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 28, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, at a shallow angle, water will totally reflect light, we are looking head on at that tire.

The water-air interface has varying reflectivity depending on the angle of incidence, but it is never zero. I linked you to the fresnel equations wikipedia page, which gives you the formulae to calculate it.

You can do the full calculations with the s- and p- polarizations if you want, but in the special case where we are looking straight down onto (normal to) the water's surface -- which in this case is the angle with minimum reflectance -- the equation simplifies to

R = ((n1 - n2) / (n1 + n2)) ^ 2

where n1, n2 are the refractive indices of the two materials. 1.0 for air and 1.33 for water gives us an R of 0.02. That means that even looking straight at the wet tire, 2% of the incident light coming straight from behind us will be reflected into our eyes. The tire is black and the photo was taken on a bright overcast day. Even 2% of the light from the sky is still pretty bright. For light at a slightly shallower angle, like say light coming from the sky near the horizon, the angle into our eyes is shallower and the reflection will appear even brighter. This reflected light is what makes the tire shine.

Does that address your concerns?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 28, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is a wet bald tire reflecting the grey sky above the viewer.

I did not think this was a subject I was going to have to weigh in on in 2022 but here we are.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I did not think this was a subject I was going to have to weigh in on in 2022 but here we are.

This.

Jesus supercharged christ at least it's in the right thread.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Looks like this is the original posting of the image on Reddit, and it's higher quality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/f6b6d0/customer_refused_all_4_tires_on_a_rainy_day_she/

Personally, it's hard wrapping my brain around a material I generally think of as matte and textured (rubber) being able to attain a level of polish that results in a near-mirror finish. But then I remember that rubber hardens as it ages, and that is definitely an aged tire.

Doing a Google image search brings up some results from the Garda in Ireland of a car that's getting close to that level of polish:
https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/573600762342830080

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I was originally going to say that the tire was so worn that the steel belts were showing and that someone had the awesome uhhhh dumb idea of polishing them up to post a picture on the internet.

Guess I was wrong.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The water-air interface has varying reflectivity depending on the angle of incidence, but it is never zero. I linked you to the fresnel equations wikipedia page, which gives you the formulae to calculate it.

You can do the full calculations with the s- and p- polarizations if you want, but in the special case where we are looking straight down onto (normal to) the water's surface -- which in this case is the angle with minimum reflectance -- the equation simplifies to

R = ((n1 - n2) / (n1 + n2)) ^ 2

where n1, n2 are the refractive indices of the two materials. 1.0 for air and 1.33 for water gives us an R of 0.02. That means that even looking straight at the wet tire, 2% of the incident light coming straight from behind us will be reflected into our eyes. The tire is black and the photo was taken on a bright overcast day. Even 2% of the light from the sky is still pretty bright. For light at a slightly shallower angle, like say light coming from the sky near the horizon, the angle into our eyes is shallower and the reflection will appear even brighter. This reflected light is what makes the tire shine.

Does that address your concerns?

Avatar - post combo (which avatar I assume is a result of this post?)

kastein posted:

Who would have thought that "smooth wet stuff can be shiny" is something new and different? loving hell.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Also don’t underestimate people’s abilities when it comes to stupidity. I remember seeing what I thought were racing slicks in the corner of my mechanics workshop. I asked him what they came off, expecting a V8 Supercar or something (I used to live ~near~ Mount Panorama/Bathurst)

The answer was: an X5. The owner balked at the price, got the rears replaced and left the fronts on, despite him protesting all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slothrop posted:

The answer was: an X5. The owner balked at the price, got the rears replaced and left the fronts on, despite him protesting all the way.

This is why cars like that have resale values that drop like the 1929 stockmarket.