Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I wouldn't do it for a pork butt, but pork ribs are so thin / have ao much surface area relative to mass that they should thaw quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Yeah give those ribs another day in the fridge and they’ll be good to go. Sounds like a massive pain to try and cook half frozen ribs. I imagine the moisture that will leak out can’t be good for the rub you put on it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well I let them sit out for an hour or so and they were just about 100% thawed, so I put on the meat dust and put them in the smoker.

Things were going well until my sister called me a few hours in. She had borrowed my car, in which the battery light had come on the night before. No mechanics are open on Sundays around here, so I took my chances with it. Unfortunately my car died on her, so I had to run out and rescue her.

After we finally got back, the ribs were a dry, solid mass :( pizza night instead, better luck next time.

And yes, I'll have to tell my dad that for anything with bone in, take it out 24 hours prior.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Well I let them sit out for an hour or so and they were just about 100% thawed, so I put on the meat dust and put them in the smoker.

Things were going well until my sister called me a few hours in. She had borrowed my car, in which the battery light had come on the night before. No mechanics are open on Sundays around here, so I took my chances with it. Unfortunately my car died on her, so I had to run out and rescue her.

After we finally got back, the ribs were a dry, solid mass :( pizza night instead, better luck next time.

And yes, I'll have to tell my dad that for anything with bone in, take it out 24 hours prior.

That’s a major bummer

:rip: ribs

That pig died twice :(

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I will be smoking one of my brisket thirds on thursday, I pulled it out of the freezer Saturday, and now that I know I need to turn up the temp on the smoker I'm hopping things will go smoothly. (they h ave, afterall, the last few times I smoked after figuring this out)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I attempted to recreate some of the best pork chops I ever had this weekend. Unfortunately I got the idea a little too late and had to make do with "grocery store thick-cut" instead of properly thick-cut. Thankfully I was at least able to find bone-in.

Smoked them at 250ish over cherry until about 125 internally, then let them rest as I dumped in a half chimney of coals and got them blazing. I fried some sage and parsley in clarified butter, coated the chops, and seared them off until about 135-140 and let carryover do the rest.

No pics because lunch ran late and everyone just tore into them but they were good. Next time I'll order ahead and get some thicker and fattier bone-in chops.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Discussion Quorum posted:

I attempted to recreate some of the best pork chops I ever had this weekend.

That sounds fantastic. Pork Chops are massively underrated and I prefer a good one to the crappy steaks most people buy for special occasions.

In other news HEB had a decent sale and I blew my food budget for the week. Also got some beef and pork ribs to do this week.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Atticus_1354 posted:

That sounds fantastic. Pork Chops are massively underrated and I prefer a good one to the crappy steaks most people buy for special occasions.

In other news HEB had a decent sale and I blew my food budget for the week. Also got some beef and pork ribs to do this week.

Pork chops can be either tasty tender goodness, or bland dry suck. Even sous vide it is hard to get them consistent.
I truly wish I could tell by sight how they'll be in the package when shopping. The best chops I've had were from costco standing rib roast a few years ago. I cut them into 2-rib-thick sections and when sous vided and then grilled, were amazing. Since then the roasts have been rather anemic fat-wise and therefore flavor-wise.

In beefy news, picked up a small non-trimmed (still has the point) brisket for this weekend. Feeling smokey.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Hasselblad posted:

Pork chops can be either tasty tender goodness, or bland dry suck. Even sous vide it is hard to get them consistent.

A big part if this is traditionally they were not as popular a cut or a poor man's cut so they don't get a lot of love. Most of our good pork production from the US gets exported and a lot of what we get is mediocre. If you can find a localish farm with pasture raised pigs it is a completely different meat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think also it’s because my parents’ generation. Sucked at cooking pork and the chops were all thin and cooked to a leathery consistency. Now that people aren’t afraid to cook it to reasonable temp, tasty pork chops are within our grasp.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I was too preoccupied with our quail hatching to take photos but I smoked two racks of ribs tonight while my mom is visiting. They turned out absolutely flawless, spritzing them with apple juice periodically really took them to another level.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think also it’s because my parents’ generation. Sucked at cooking pork and the chops were all thin and cooked to a leathery consistency. Now that people aren’t afraid to cook it to reasonable temp, tasty pork chops are within our grasp.

Thin chops can be good too. I used to get both kinds when I'd go to the butcher. Thin ones were for marinating in lime juice and quick frying with onions and plantains. Great weekday dish.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The ribs went over so well tonight I'm doing an encore with some wings. My family is now fully on board with the world of smoked meats now.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The ribs went over so well tonight I'm doing an encore with some wings. My family is now fully on board with the world of smoked meats now.

Yeah no one in my family ever smoked meat until me. So it’s kind of like a whole new world for everyone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like that deserves a plaque. "First Meat Smoker of The Family." Display it proudly over the BBQ.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So my great-grand parents were Veinna beef distributers, so meats run in the family.

I think though when it comes to smoking them themselves, I am the first. I know my uncle is jealous when we told him we got a smoker.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I've found that local meat does not equate to better, at least as far as beef is concerned. Was all excited when an actual butcher set up shop here, and they advertised local beef (haven't tried their pork yet). The beef I got from them was short ribs and a brisket and neither were remotely as good as the (lower cost) stuff I could get at Cosco on any given day.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The time is 7 central and the brisket is in the box.
(I rubbed it in the pan and put them on different racks)

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 27, 2022

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
That picture is massive but I'm not mad about it

edit: Has anyone done like smoked roast beef? To save money we've been buying cheap eye of round roasts, dry curing them, and then slicing them thin on a friends deli slicer ($4/lb vs $16/lb for deli roast beef). I'm not sure how I didn't think of this until now but doing it in the smoker instead could be really good? It might dry it out though.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 27, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

McSpankWich posted:

My phone is set to super big dog photo by default

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

McSpankWich posted:

edit: Has anyone done like smoked roast beef? To save money we've been buying cheap eye of round roasts, dry curing them, and then slicing them thin on a friends deli slicer ($4/lb vs $16/lb for deli roast beef). I'm not sure how I didn't think of this until now but doing it in the smoker instead could be really good? It might dry it out though.

I've never smoked one but you would want to smoke/cook it like a rib roast or some cuts of steak - just cooked to your temperature preference, such as medium rare.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

McSpankWich posted:

Yes for exactly this reason. I just put on the bbq dust, put them in, and wait. They do end up a little dry if you leave them out, so I would consider wrapping them.
But also if they soak in their jucies they turn into a paste and it's really gross.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

My phone is set to super big dog photo by default

Just use timg tags instead of img tags. Best of both worlds.

Nevermind, I see you edited it. Keeping that info here in case anyone doesn't know. :3:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes for exactly this reason. I just put on the bbq dust, put them in, and wait. They do end up a little dry if you leave them out, so I would consider wrapping them.
But also if they soak in their jucies they turn into a paste and it's really gross.

If you’re smoking something without a lot of connective tissue there is no need to wrap as you should be cooking to around 140-145 Fahrenheit for beef. Nor should they be ‘soaking in their juices’ wtf.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It is 1:47
Internal temprature is 147.
Anxiety levels: elevated.

E:Or this could mean a 1-1 relationship and it'll be done in 20 minutes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

It is 1:47
Internal temprature is 147.
Anxiety levels: elevated.

E:Or this could mean a 1-1 relationship and it'll be done in 20 minutes.

Hope you weren't planning to eat before 10pm!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Enos Cabell posted:

Hope you weren't planning to eat before 10pm!

Current time is 2:14. Internal temperature is 150.
At 2 degrees every 15 minutes we can expect food to be done at... 8:30.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Current time is 2:14. Internal temperature is 150.
At 2 degrees every 15 minutes we can expect food to be done at... 8:30.

150 is right around where the stall hits :sweatdrop:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

oh buddy

It is not linear.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh no! Oh no!

:thejoke: I actually took a reading around noon, so I know I was already in the stall.
E: like it's 3:20 and 160

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 27, 2022

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Today's pork butt for carnitas finished much earlier than expected since I decided to wrap in foil rather than butcher paper. But still in the perfect time window for holding wrapped in the cooler.

Can't wait for these freaking tacos tonight.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Today's pork butt for carnitas finished much earlier than expected since I decided to wrap in foil rather than butcher paper. But still in the perfect time window for holding wrapped in the cooler.

Can't wait for these freaking tacos tonight.

What did you do to the meat, anything specific?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

crondaily posted:

What did you do to the meat, anything specific?

I'm admittedly doing this very lazily because I had leftovers from doing tacos with chuck roast. I just seasoned with a mix of chili powders, cayenne, SPG, onion powder, paprika, cumin, and oregano. I think that's everything.

No marinade or braise which is why I opted for foil instead of butcher paper.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The time is 6:58 and we hit 193 but I'm too hungry so it's time to eat.

Very good

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Tacos turned out amazing:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
How long is smoked cheese good for?

I have some that I smoked about 10 or 11 months ago and immediately vacuum-sealed and forgot about in the back of my fridge. Probably because I over-smoked it so when it was fresh it was just too much, so I put the second batch in the back there to mellow out for 6 weeks and here we are. :v:

It . . . LOOKS just fine. My wife said she saw "6-9 months" on Google so it's not SO far past that I'm auto-noping it, but I figured I'd see if Goons had any thoughts.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If it looks fine, smell it. If it smells fine, taste it. If it tastes fine, it is fine.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Rooster posted:

If it looks fine, smell it. If it smells fine, taste it. If it tastes fine, it is fine.

Appreciated! Gave it a go - looked fine, smelled fine (like smoke, lol) and the there was nothing off about the taste. The bitter smoke flavor wasn't GONE, but it was not overpowering. If it wasn't for the bitter note it might have almost been a good example of smoked cheese, heh.

Made a decent addition to the chicken breast I fried up and tossed on a tortilla. Those burritos were better than they had any right to be.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zarin posted:

Appreciated! Gave it a go - looked fine, smelled fine (like smoke, lol) and the there was nothing off about the taste. The bitter smoke flavor wasn't GONE, but it was not overpowering. If it wasn't for the bitter note it might have almost been a good example of smoked cheese, heh.

Made a decent addition to the chicken breast I fried up and tossed on a tortilla. Those burritos were better than they had any right to be.

Nice! I’m sure it’ll be great. Oversmoked may not be great to just eat on its own, but as a topping for other stuff, perfect.

It finally got cold here, time for me to smoke some cheese too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Rooster posted:

Nice! I’m sure it’ll be great. Oversmoked may not be great to just eat on its own, but as a topping for other stuff, perfect.

It finally got cold here, time for me to smoke some cheese too!

I need to try again this year! I wonder if maybe my issue is that I was cramming too many pellets into the smoke tube. Might try the pellet maze this time - it seemed to give off a smaller plume of smoke.