Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Good point, and it would be great to remove any remaining excuse for the DOJ to further delay indictment.

By what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rigel posted:

Honestly, the committee should just make its report to the DOJ and disband anyway. Their work seems to be over at this point even if the Dems kept the house.

i suspect they are gonna try to finish up over lame duck.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The thing about Jan 6 that is so astonishing was seeing the footage where everyone is preparing for rioters breaching the building and they are putting on tear gas masks.

Like at that point you would expect that everyone (Dem and Republican) must have considered "there is a good chance I am going to get hurt or die over this. And it's all because of Trump."

But then when it's all over the hypnosis comes back on and they are back to supporting Trump.

Real Stockholm Syndrome stuff.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean for Republicans at least he's a big stupid blank check to do whatever they want (in theory), I can see the idea of the gravy train returning winning out over long term self-preservation in those sorts. The Dems I got nothing

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Question IRL posted:

The thing about Jan 6 that is so astonishing was seeing the footage where everyone is preparing for rioters breaching the building and they are putting on tear gas masks.

Like at that point you would expect that everyone (Dem and Republican) must have considered "there is a good chance I am going to get hurt or die over this. And it's all because of Trump."

But then when it's all over the hypnosis comes back on and they are back to supporting Trump.

Real Stockholm Syndrome stuff.

Actually even republicans like McTurtle directly called out Trump as causing all this afterwards. As I remember it took a few days for everyone to calm down and start blaming ANTIFA again.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
McConnell broke and blamed Trump, and quickly realized the voters were not following. His party voters were going to back Trump no matter what. So he quietly got back in line with everybody else and gave up trying to fix the gop

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Actually even republicans like McTurtle directly called out Trump as causing all this afterwards. As I remember it took a few days for everyone to calm down and start blaming ANTIFA again.

Reminder that McConnell followed up this one moment of clarity by voting "not guilty" on the second impeachment.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Angry_Ed posted:

Reminder that McConnell followed up this one moment of clarity by voting "not guilty" on the second impeachment.

He's alive, so he's running.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

McConnell broke and blamed Trump, and quickly realized the voters were not following. His party voters were going to back Trump no matter what. So he quietly got back in line with everybody else and gave up trying to fix the gop

They're afraid of their own voters. They've created an absolutely unhinged monster and have no idea how to control it so they're just going to try to ride that wave until they get voted out for not being crazy enough and escape into the private sector and write a tell-all book to cash in after they've been forgotten and are no longer getting death threats.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Couldn't they like... Privately work together to oust the insurrectionists?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 46 hours!)

Someone post the Romney death-stare pic. Some of them knew full well who caused it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Given that they have absolutely no reason to trust any of their colleagues to keep such a plan quiet as opposed to trumpeting it when they're two points down in some primary or other to try to hang onto power, lmao no.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

They could, but save for a handful of obvious outliers, they have no way of knowing who would or wouldn't torpedo the effort for cheap political points and guaranteed votes from the MAGA crowd. When your political strategy is "power at any cost", that creates an awful lot of craven monsters who only put on the appearance of "respectable" politicians.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Honestly they probably don’t care enough

They may think the voters are unhinged rear end in a top hat idiots but they’ve also mostly learned they can keep doing what they want as long as they pay some lip service to the idiots

They’re definitely thinking “next time they won’t come after me if I trick them to thinking im all in on their side “

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Aren't they supposed to champion some election overhaul law at the end of the committee?

They've voted, and I think even passed some legislation, but i don't know if they got everything they wanted.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

DeathChicken posted:

I mean for Republicans at least he's a big stupid blank check to do whatever they want (in theory), I can see the idea of the gravy train returning
He's like their ideal candidate, goes around the country running rallies, kissing babies on the cheek, and the over-18 babies are all hoping he's just going to start throwing wads of cash into the crowd. People don't know what senators, representatives, and presidents do, so they imagine anyone who can appear to speak in public without crying can do the job. Also if it's 100% lies, they just shrug, "oh that's what politicians do, my vote was great".

Too bad he never had money to throw into a crowd. :downsgun:

He said he would be there 1/6, so the same "reasoning" applied (huh, what's a word for "reached a conclusion" when in fact no reason was involved?): "I'll look cool and good because I'll be on camera with ma precedent!". I wouldn't be surprised if half of them thought T would be waiting for them on the floor ready to congratulate them personally.

They're basically jihadists. Breaking and entering and assault were the means. The motive wasn't some "corrective legislation" but installation of a leader of a religious cult. He created the opportunity and was the leader, which is why he's guilty of treason along with many others. Today's "election was stolen" is just their way of saying "we'd install him today if we could".

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

Someone post the Romney death-stare pic. Some of them knew full well who caused it.
https://twitter.com/KirkAdams/status/1347004779889782785?s=20&t=9YcR2OX4LAN-MMoxu8PQVQ
Can't recall who said it at the time this was linked, but:

quote:

Romney drank his first beer an hour ago

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I admire the super human restraint Romney is exhibiting in that image against probably every primal urge in his body, but if he'd just wrapped his arm around Josh Hawley's neck and choked that terrorist traitor motherfucker out on live television in the well of the senate, I don't think literally anyone would have held it against him.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I admire the super human restraint Romney is exhibiting in that image against probably every primal urge in his body, but if he'd just wrapped his arm around Josh Hawley's neck and choked that terrorist traitor motherfucker out on live television in the well of the senate, I don't think literally anyone would have held it against him.

"It was the damnedest thing, Josh just suddenly collapsed with a crushed neck."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Mitt agrees with his policies though just not the way they are going about it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Sure, but Hawley is a supremely unpleasant person and I can only imagine also smells real bad.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mooseontheloose posted:

Hawley has to be up there with Ted Cruz among Senators every other Senator hates regardless of party affiliation because they're smarmy assholes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yes but I don't think Mitt agrees with having his life threatened by dumbfucks who Hawley was personally endorsing.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Yes but I don't think Mitt agrees with having his life threatened by dumbfucks who Hawley was personally endorsing.

yah fair. The Republican member though are just a special breed of stupid. I don't think they realized that mob would of tried to killed anyone in the chamber.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

This forum itself has shown that people are willing to do grievous, spiteful harm to people they otherwise agree with 100% over much pettier poo poo :v:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

yah fair. The Republican member though are just a special breed of stupid. I don't think they realized that mob would of tried to killed anyone in the chamber.

I think you're living in a loving fantasy world. They'd been warned for months this was coming and these people were dangerous BY PEOPLE IN THEIR OWN PARTY. They expected antifa to show up and Trump to use the street battles as an excuse to declare martial law and take over that way might be more accurate.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Oracle posted:

I think you're living in a loving fantasy world. They'd been warned for months this was coming and these people were dangerous BY PEOPLE IN THEIR OWN PARTY. They expected antifa to show up and Trump to use the street battles as an excuse to declare martial law and take over that way might be more accurate.

And the mob would be able to tell the difference how, precisely? Being complicit does not bar them from being stupid, in this instance.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Please, any republican caught by the mob could just say "trump is president and I'm helping you get him certified" and join the crowd without harm.

The police handing out high fives were embraced. Those guarding the doors were attacked and killed. The riot was keeping a careful eye out for allies, even if they seemed unpredictable.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Please, any republican caught by the mob could just say "trump is president and I'm helping you get him certified" and join the crowd without harm.

The police handing out high fives were embraced. Those guarding the doors were attacked and killed. The riot was keeping a careful eye out for allies, even if they seemed unpredictable.

A good example is that one black capitol policeman who they tried to win over, only to turn instantly hostile when they learned he was a Biden voter and start hurling racial slurs and abuse at him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think they were out for blood and probably wouldn't know the difference between a Republican and a Democrat. All members were hiding for their lives, not just Democrats. No-one was feeling safe, which is why it is so galling to see Republicans now say "it was no biggie"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any given white male congressman mightve been able to blend in or might have gotten lynched. Mobs aren't predictable.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
"They weren't chanting hang Mike Pence, they were chanting HUG Mike Pence"

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any given white male congressman mightve been able to blend in or might have gotten lynched. Mobs aren't predictable.

Not Romney. He was up there with Pelosi on the kill list.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

fabiopenz posted:

"They weren't chanting hang Mike Pence, they were chanting HUG Mike Pence"

The Mike Pence, The

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

IPlayVideoGames posted:

The Mike Pence, The

Literally the Republican Party official stance.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tayter Swift posted:

Not Romney. He was up there with Pelosi on the kill list.

Speaking of Pelosi, someone broke into her home looking for her.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2022/oct/28/democrats-obama-midterms-republicans-us-politics-live-updates

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

I was reading this, and from other sources, as well as the updates. (Presumably a MAGA conspiracy person, on drugs, who entered screaming "Where's Nancy".) This is just awful. Fortunately Nancy wasn't there but her husband is now undergoing brain surgery.

Terrible. Unforgivable. But now I'm going to say the other part. It's been almost two years and a few people have some reduced prison sentences, and the last one got nothing (house arrest) because on this side of the aisle we're actually humane. They're going to keep trying, and keep trying, because we haven't applied the basic penalties for treason under the law. This event is the outcome they wanted on 1/6, times 400. Now we have people standing with guns watching ballot boxes, reenactments of 1/6 rep hunting, but not one single firing squad or public hanging out of the thousands of traitors.

There's a long way to go before this gets better.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I was reading this, and from other sources, as well as the updates. (Presumably a MAGA conspiracy person, on drugs, who entered screaming "Where's Nancy".) This is just awful. Fortunately Nancy wasn't there but her husband is now undergoing brain surgery.

Terrible. Unforgivable. But now I'm going to say the other part. It's been almost two years and a few people have some reduced prison sentences, and the last one got nothing (house arrest) because on this side of the aisle we're actually humane. They're going to keep trying, and keep trying, because we haven't applied the basic penalties for treason under the law. This event is the outcome they wanted on 1/6, times 400. Now we have people standing with guns watching ballot boxes, reenactments of 1/6 rep hunting, but not one single firing squad or public hanging out of the thousands of traitors.

There's a long way to go before this gets better.

Indeed. If we're going by Weimar Republic standards, the next escalation of this is going to be MAGA judges interfering in the prosecution of domestic terrorists.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Indeed. If we're going by Weimar Republic standards, the next escalation of this is going to be MAGA judges interfering in the prosecution of domestic terrorists.

I'm pretty sure we passed that stage months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Skex posted:

I'm pretty sure we passed that stage months ago.
When was that? Are we referencing Trump?

edit: It feels like I'm saying one thing and people are using it to diss politicians by calling them terrorists (which is good n' cool.) But I want to be clear: The escalation of that is when the judges start stepping in to protect these deranged alt-righters nobodies when they start killing people.

If the time was right, they would protect this hammer man.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 28, 2022