Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

fuf posted:

Yeah it's interesting how sharing a market is assumed to be a relation of domination that countries are resistant to, rather than something that is often going to be mutually beneficial.

(can you tell I'm still bitter about my Chile game being stuck in a market on my own and unable to join a union with anyone)
You do give up control over tariffs when you become the junior partner in a customs union, so it's not really an equal partnership. Still not automatically exploitative, but you do bend the knee slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Schnitzler posted:

You do give up control over tariffs when you become the junior partner in a customs union, so it's not really an equal partnership. Still not automatically exploitative, but you do bend the knee slightly.

Huh, that’s interesting. And does explain the niche of a trade agreement; this removes barriers between both countries, such as tariffs, as well as upkeep for trade routes (letting you basically replicate a customs union if you want, by importing and exporting every single good) but you keep control over policy vis-a-vis third countries. And yet the AI is somehow extremely stingy about allowing free trade agreements.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Finally got access to my computer, time to download this poo poo and get some imperialism done.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I feel like they need to take another look at the Native Insurrection play. I don't know how it gets unlocked, but the UK managed it and is just tearing rear end across every unorg in africa. its basically the end of colonization being usable in 1860.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Deltasquid posted:

Huh, that’s interesting. And does explain the niche of a trade agreement; this removes barriers between both countries, such as tariffs, as well as upkeep for trade routes (letting you basically replicate a customs union if you want, by importing and exporting every single good) but you keep control over policy vis-a-vis third countries. And yet the AI is somehow extremely stingy about allowing free trade agreements.

The biggest difference between free trade and customs union, unless I'm misunderstanding systems, is that you don't need to use convoys to trade if you are in the same market. If you set up trade routes for every item it can be the same functionally but you're dedicating every boat you have to it. Meanwhile if you are in a custom union it becomes the citizen's problem and for you everything just gets teleported where it needs to go.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Deltasquid posted:

I think the reluctance to enter free trade agreements is understandable. You still open your market up to foreign influence, which can screw you over. For example, in my Chilean market the price for dye was rock bottom because my puppets all love their dye farms. Cheap dye is great for clothing productions, so I set the export tariff for dye to 30%, which helped keeping the price low by limiting the amount my puppets could export. Until I agreed to a free trade agreement with Brazil, who then started to import tons of dye from my market, driving up the price and reducing profitability of my clothing industry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The decisions really aren't very obvious. It took 20 years after I conquered the American west for me to figure out that there are some decisions and event chains I had to trigger to do the Oregon territory deal as the US.

Robert E Lee is now bravely exploring the Nevada desert for me. (may he die of dehydration)

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
At least in my runs, the Southern Planters really don't defend Slavery that hard, they hate any kind of Women's Rights even more than Slavery Banned. After I pass that law, they just sort of give up, but they'll fight the idea of women being people until the bitter loving end.

The "seiging down Congress" mechanic is really great, I wish more stuff used it, like changing tax laws or increasing/decreasing Institutions! Everyone rightly loves the econ sim, but the legislative mechanics are really a sleeper hit for me!

More stuff should be automatic, like if changing a production method is a no-brainer I'd like to see Capitalist owned industries make the switch on their own.

At this point I don't care if it sucks, I'm having a great time and the haters can cope.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-release-known-issues.1551311/

Personally I like the chart spikes, I hope they don't correct that too hard.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Played until about 1870 as Korea so far, definitely feels barebones but I’m really enjoying the foundation they have, which after Vicky 2 was far from guaranteed. Helps that I’m still crap at the game but I was worried it’d be trivial to brush all the interest groups aside and just do what I want, and it’s really not been so far — the Yangban have been consistently aggravating. For a while I was just doing everything to suppress them, until suddenly they got too pissed off and dropped out of the government, leaving me with like 5 legitimacy and having to swing around and kiss their rear end for 5 years until they let me do things again. I expect now I know what to expect it won’t have the same impact unless there are more events that help force things, but it was a really cool moment. Economic management has gotten pretty fun too now once I got to know what I was doing, although dang the construction industry is really punishing.

Disappointed at how flat the world feels though, honestly. Near everywhere having 20%(??) literacy at the start of the game feels really odd to me and kind of erodes part of what makes developing away from preindustrial starts fun. The art team at least has done a lot to make things varied though.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Played around a bit with Thailand earlier, it’s quite fun. You have a bunch of neighbours around you to bully while you try to keep the nobles down and abolish serfdom.

Also there’s so much space for flavour events. Have Harry Flashman pop up and duel Bismarck, let a player being one of the Indian princes have an event where they storm Calcutta and behead the Governor-General, tell me about the pirate queen who’s raiding my plantations in Malaya. Release Jules Verne or HG Wells DLC where Martians pop a colony next to Bristol.

I think the system for generating these interesting events is really solid, but things like wars, or your country’s first colony, or emancipation of women, or deposing Queen Vic and taking the UK communist,
are all just a bit bloodless.

But like people have said, much easier to fix the flavour than to fix the system, so the priorities were definitely right.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
There are a lot of really mad people over this game. I saw someone calling people who like it cucks. What a great fan base :allears:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I played as Bolivia for about 5 years last night.

I can’t figure out a way to change my government form away from autocracy. It says I need to include an interest group in favor of the law in the government, and when I did that by inviting the landowners, it still wasn’t available to select. The tooltip said something about Chiefdom not allowing it but I’m a presidential dictatorship. (Reason I’m trying to change is to have a more common government with Ecuador so I can have a trade agreement with them.)

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Koramei posted:

For a while I was just doing everything to suppress them, until suddenly they got too pissed off and dropped out of the government, leaving me with like 5 legitimacy and having to swing around and kiss their rear end for 5 years until they let me do things again. I expect now I know what to expect it won’t have the same impact unless there are more events that help force things, but it was a really cool moment.

I had the exact same experience as Austria because I thought I could cheese my way out of the Austrian aristocracy’s stranglehold on political power by skipping straight to census suffrage at the start of the game. The whole ordeal left me with a an intensely personal vendetta against Metternich.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

lol its weird reading these posts when in my argentina game, even tho ive gone full bore workers council protectionist, liberal chile kept begging to join my market until i let them in. wonder what exactly tips the ai over.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Has anyone run into a situation where a good being extremely low priced has been beneficial? In general I've been trying to keep most goods around the silver range. Every time something has gone to copper it results in that industry being unable to afford the wages. Maybe with subsidies, but that seems a bit inefficient?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pylons posted:

Has anyone run into a situation where a good being extremely low priced has been beneficial? In general I've been trying to keep most goods around the silver range. Every time something has gone to copper it results in that industry being unable to afford the wages. Maybe with subsidies, but that seems a bit inefficient?

I've had some industries running off subsidies because the commodity priced items go into refined products, but generally if I'm in that situation it's because they also provide additional non-market benefits as output.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Maybe there is a way to see this that I'm missing in the UI, but I would love to see how many more of a material I will be producing when I'm hovering over the + icon to upgrade a building. Would make it a bit easier to balance my inputs for my big industries.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Started a new game as Chile to test some things, went to look at what hurdles I'd have to clear to join the British market.

"-1000: Britain's attitude toward us is Belligerent and they see us as a target for conquest."

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

My game crashes a lot when I select my admiral. I wonder if it's this particular admiral or what. Also I'm getting spammed with the event centered on my single African colony that either makes me dump a bunch of money into the colony or suffer a penalty to colonial growth (not that it can grow anymore, it's completely hemmed in, so the choice is kind of easy). It was kind of funny to get a pop-up about a "scramble for Africa" when like 90% of it is already colonized. Minor annoyances aside I'm having a fun time now that I've found an opening move that works for me: go hard into one good/resource, export that and import everything else until numbers go up, then diversify and industrialize.

Pylons posted:

Generally if something goes copper I try to export it in large quantities if at all possible. Or I find some industry that uses it and build that. I definitely don't leave it at that price if I can help it, assuming I'm producing it.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Koramei posted:

Played until about 1870 as Korea so far, definitely feels barebones but I’m really enjoying the foundation they have, which after Vicky 2 was far from guaranteed. Helps that I’m still crap at the game but I was worried it’d be trivial to brush all the interest groups aside and just do what I want, and it’s really not been so far — the Yangban have been consistently aggravating. For a while I was just doing everything to suppress them, until suddenly they got too pissed off and dropped out of the government, leaving me with like 5 legitimacy and having to swing around and kiss their rear end for 5 years until they let me do things again. I expect now I know what to expect it won’t have the same impact unless there are more events that help force things, but it was a really cool moment. Economic management has gotten pretty fun too now once I got to know what I was doing, although dang the construction industry is really punishing.

Disappointed at how flat the world feels though, honestly. Near everywhere having 20%(??) literacy at the start of the game feels really odd to me and kind of erodes part of what makes developing away from preindustrial starts fun. The art team at least has done a lot to make things varied though.

I just fiddled around with reforms and bringing rural folk into the government and just brute forced my way into progressive constitutional monarchy. The weird thing going on is that no great powers are producing automobiles or ironclads.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Drone Incognito posted:

Maybe there is a way to see this that I'm missing in the UI, but I would love to see how many more of a material I will be producing when I'm hovering over the + icon to upgrade a building. Would make it a bit easier to balance my inputs for my big industries.

hovering over the icon for the building will show you

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

CrypticTriptych posted:

I'm happy to say this exists! If you go to the "details page" for a good (clicking on its icon in most places will do that, or from the good's tooltip) you can turn on a Potential Production overlay for that good. It doesn't include as-yet-undiscovered "Discoverable Resources" thought, so it doesn't help tell you what states might have oil in the future.

I knew I'd seen that somewhere, thanks!

Most of the available Oil Ocean Zones ended up being American inlands or British colonies and the brits are still scary so I decided my best solution was to punch a sick man

Ah, big numbers. Not big enough, but with that and all my whalemurder I can at least allow myself the occasional Assembly Line without going chronically short.

Russia decided they wanted to help the Ottos in the war, which initially looked a little scary as combined the had some 600-odd battalions and I had around 200. Unfortunately for them, their troops were Napoleonic while I have tanks and airplanes. Cue image of Ottoman troops trying to shoot down planes with rifles.

I decided that Russia joining in was a good excuse to do some light map painting so I unilaterally annexed the baltics, Ingria and East Karelia off them. That + stealing Basra racked up a cool 180+ badboy in a single war. Every single nation in Europe hates me, half my former trading partners are embargoing me, my North American customs union friends are leaving me, my factory profits are in the sink and I'm desperately trying to set up trade routes with Qing China and Zanzibar to salvage my tattered economy in a situation that has no real-world parallels whatsoever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think this is the first grand strategy game that I've played that makes Britain feel like a true powerhouse. Most give them naval bonuses, or they get special colony bonuses, or their colonies get exploited for profit really easily. But here *everyone* wants into the British markets.

See thread title

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 27, 2022

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Oh hey IGs can be modified over time by events and it doesn't look too hard to do. They promised in an early dev diary that they'd be dynamic but I guess cut the actual content and the static and often anachronistic IGs are what we end up with, but you can easily add and remove ideologies. A few triggered ideology shifts based on the sociopolitical situation could go a long way towards fixing some of the weirdness of the political system.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
The game seems to get a bit unstable towards the end. Not sure if it's just because I was running a fairly prosperous China (used mods to uncap infrastructure per pop and add more tax capacity as a test to see what that would be like), but I had both the armed forces and the trade unions go from 20-30% of the population to crashing immediately to 0%. Also have had several crashes in various spots, but mods might have been loving things up there and causing overflows.

But yeah, a China that can actually tax their people is loving terrifying. I do think that uncapping infra/pop is fine - the distinction of what is or is not a state and the flat bonuses you get feels really arbitrary. I'd also love to see the flat bonuses to tax efficiency/state from technology being a smaller percentage bonus as well.

A few things I learned:

China will never employ all of its peasants. By the time you even remotely get close, your pop growth skyrockets.
Don't ignore the spread of Protestants - I'm not sure how exactly to counter it (probably a state edict), but the rebellion they trigger is nasty
After a rebellion, you need to reintegrate the states that were involved. There's no warning for this, and it will crater your economy if you don't notice.
You can choose to not fight back against the British in the opium wars. The major penalties only last for 5 years, and if you do fight back, you're more or less guaranteed to have them for 15-20 years at the minimum
Starting out with wooden construction buildings actually works pretty well - you can retrofit them later as and when your economy can support it, but getting a ton of lumber mills and construction industries up early is great. Can be worth turning off hardwood production for a big chunk of them until you hit a point where you need it.

Peasant levies are awful. They're capped on how much tech both your main army and your mobilized forces can use. Swapping to literally anything else is a great idea.
Infamy is a resource that should be constantly decaying. Stepping on a minor nation if you've got the army to do so isn't a bad idea.
gently caress landowners. They're the worst in every nation.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Xerophyte posted:

I knew I'd seen that somewhere, thanks!

Most of the available Oil Ocean Zones ended up being American inlands or British colonies and the brits are still scary so I decided my best solution was to punch a sick man

Ah, big numbers. Not big enough, but with that and all my whalemurder I can at least allow myself the occasional Assembly Line without going chronically short.

If you go further upriver Mosul gets some too. Khuzestan doesn't, for some reason, but Fars does.

e: I think I'm going to make a map

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
I feel like an idiot but how do you form Scandinavia as Sweden? I don't see any entries for it in the Journal or in the decisions list.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

Oh hey IGs can be modified over time by events and it doesn't look too hard to do. They promised in an early dev diary that they'd be dynamic but I guess cut the actual content and the static and often anachronistic IGs are what we end up with, but you can easily add and remove ideologies. A few triggered ideology shifts based on the sociopolitical situation could go a long way towards fixing some of the weirdness of the political system.

one that u do get is one to shift the trade unions towards vanguardism, communism or anarchism, which gives their leaders that trait from then on. not 100% what specifically triggers it or the mtth but it appeared a while after the trade unions merged into the communist party w the rurals and became leaders.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

I feel like an idiot but how do you form Scandinavia as Sweden? I don't see any entries for it in the Journal or in the decisions list.

For some reason it's in the culture tab. I also expected it to be in decisions, but I guess they put it there because unifications are culture-based.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish there were immigration policies that let you set targets. It's either totally open door immigration with no limit, open door with no limit for pops you're not racist about, or no immigration at all. It would be cool to have a 5-button "slider" like with wages/taxes to set the % of immigration you allow based on your your population. So you could slow it to a trickle if need be. Or like with export/imports make it harder/easier for people to immigrate or emigrate. if you're over populated you'd want to make it hard to come but easy to leave.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

e: I think I'm going to make a map

I would make a map if Map.SavePNG worked with any map mode other than countries :argh:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Stux posted:

one that u do get is one to shift the trade unions towards vanguardism, communism or anarchism, which gives their leaders that trait from then on. not 100% what specifically triggers it or the mtth but it appeared a while after the trade unions merged into the communist party w the rurals and became leaders.

Neat, thanks! I'll dig around in the files to see how it works so I can use it as a template for fixing some of the nonsense like the petite bourgeoisie being reactionary in 1836.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

If you go further upriver Mosul gets some too. Khuzestan doesn't, for some reason, but Fars does.

Mosul's oil has yet to be found in my game, it merely has "discoverable resources". I'm honestly not sure how fixed that stuff is, the time to discover and I think yields are random, at least? Not sure about exact locations.

Anyhow, this is the Wide World of Oil in 1921 for me

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Xerophyte posted:

Mosul's oil has yet to be found in my game, it merely has "discoverable resources". I'm honestly not sure how fixed that stuff is, the time to discover and I think yields are random, at least? Not sure about exact locations.

Anyhow, this is the Wide World of Oil in 1921 for me

Well, the files look like this:

code:
STATE_MOSUL = {
    id = 411
    subsistence_building = "building_subsistence_orchards"
    provinces = { "x00B0A0" "x029A2B" "x07BB1D" "x0A79A0" "x111137" "x130A78" "x1F3350" "x2090E0" "x2F0CE8" "x389F34" "x4BE9F1" "x6F55BA" "xA2BD38" "xB09D9C" "xBAF0C7" "xC11149" "xD097E1" "xE4E63B" }
    traits = { "state_trait_tigris_river" }
    city = "x6F55BA"
    farm = "x07BB1D"
    mine = "xE4E63B"
    wood = "x4BE9F1"
    arable_land = 52
    arable_resources = { "bg_wheat_farms" "bg_livestock_ranches" "bg_cotton_plantations" }
    capped_resources = {
        bg_sulfur_mining = 36
    }
    resource = {
        type = "bg_oil_extraction"
        undiscovered_amount = 50
    }
}
No % chance or anything listed, just that it's there and the (maximum?) amount.

I think it'll pop eventually. Owner might need to have the extraction tech.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
I've called an end to my Chile tutorial playthrough as I'd hit a wall in deciding where to go next, with Argentina puppeted and Peru-Bolivia and Brazil as both my allies the only way to go was to fight America for the bits of Patagonia they stole or kick off WW1 over some random bit of Africa. Also, the world was kind of dull but that might be a result of the Low/Lenient tutorial settings.

Verdict so far is great. The economic system is incredible. It all fits together in a way that makes sense and is so much more understandable that whatever was happening in V2. All it needs to really pop off is a way to simulate boom/bust and other economic crises so you have a reason for pops to get angry beyond the player screwing up. If the game is wiling to blow up a volcano randomly on my capital and nearly ruin my economy, a financial crash shouldn't be a problem.

The war system has its quirks that I hope will be smoothed out with ongoing development work, but overall it fits really well with the main gameplay loop. You leave it going while you make sure your armies are properly equipped, and it really feels like it a clash of economies as it should be for this era.

Colonisation still needs some work. I have no idea why the US decided to start settling Patagonia in the 1830s, and as some others have mentioned the tension/uprising system seems completely backwards. Immigration was also weird in that in encourages you to join a market if you don't want to rely on random chance, and in the late game there were tons of random migrations into Africa.

I've started up a new game as Prussia, so hopefully I can get a real taste of GP diplomacy and a proper judgement on that system with aggression on Normal.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I tried it and the Indian Territory start is indeed very hard. You start as a US puppet and it's incredibly easy to crash your entire economy.

Gonna try Spiff's Jan Mayen stratfor the economy. If it works the problem then becomes how to become independant.

Jan Mayen is part of Norway in the release version so you can't play as them anyway, unless I'm missing something.

Playing as Hawaii is hard, you can't build a construction sector or your debt spirals out of control really fast so you're stuck with five max construction.

I probably just need to learn more because all my nations end up in debt spirals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you really need More Wood before you start building out more construction.