Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
"but-but-but if we do public transit all over cities how would i the big carbrain drive in it the POOR DISABLED PEOPLE get around"

-shitlib in econ thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
https://twitter.com/fuckedupcars/status/1585623591147769856

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A friend just asked

"is following half a car behind someone at 40mph tailgating?"

How the gently caress are people that stupid allowed to get a license?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

A friend just asked

you should have to retake the written exam every 6 months and the driving test once a year to keep your license

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

A friend just asked

There is a pile-up on this freeway every single day for this exact reason.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

A friend just asked

one day someone is going to brake check them, and they will have hosed around and found out.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Why this sounds like the heinz automato 🤦

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

how is a compact SUV not a hatchback

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

brakeless posted:

yeah there's just no way she could have seen the mother and her child in the crosswalk directly in front of her, no way

offered community service for killing a child lmao

https://twitter.com/2bmrap/status/1585314015433007115

tbf I can see her argument of not being able to see them in the crosswalk in broad daylight because you can't see anything out of those SUVs that's closer than 50 feet

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

quote:

“I went to the lady,” witness Francies Gracia told the network. “She told me it wasn’t her fault. It wasn’t her fault because there was a truck in the way when she made that turn, she couldn’t see, and she hit the lady with the baby.”

You know what you do when your view is obstructed? You drive extremely slowly and carefully you dumb loving piece of poo poo

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Zerg Mans posted:

how is a compact SUV not a hatchback

crossovers are lifted and enlarged hatchbacks

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I really don't see how a truck could be in the way in that instance? Where was this truck supposedly?? Like, what

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Oh there's whole rear end video of that driver just slaughtering that kid. Didn't realize that

Apr 7, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Oh there's whole rear end video of that driver just slaughtering that kid. Didn't realize that

There's a whole video of this driver slaughtering that kid and, with that video available for anyone to see, she was offered community service.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Video so bad it changed somebody's mind on twitter dot com

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's a whole video of this driver slaughtering that kid and, with that video available for anyone to see, she was offered community service.

Would love to have a long, private, conversation with the judge and prosecution about that decision :)

Apr 7, 2003

There's a concept floating around the American mind that if you don't mean to do something up to and including killing someone but do it anyway then it's just a whoopsie and doesn't count. That entire concept needs to be done away with permanently, when you get behind the wheel you're accepting responsibility for what your car destroys.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

There's a concept floating around the American mind that if you don't mean to do something up to and including killing someone but do it anyway then it's just a whoopsie and doesn't count. That entire concept needs to be done away with permanently, when you get behind the wheel you're accepting responsibility for what your car destroys.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the video is super eye opening. quiet day, sunny skies, completely placid. walking down the street, nothing but little birdies chirping. boom dead, life shattered forever. these cars are too big, too powerful. the drivers are undertrained and not suitable to be operating such machines. its terrible. we really hosed up as a society. we will look back on this era in horror and bewilderment.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
cool cool cool.

I let my sister barrow my car for like the last 4 months because honestly i just never drive and I dont care. Someone hit her today - she was in the right lane turning right and someone in the lane to the left of her... just turned right into her and hit the front left panel.

Luckily a cop was there and witnessed it and it was a 100% at fault on the other driver but like god drat what the gently caress is wrong with people.

Anyway now i get the headache of dealing with this persons insurance and repair.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Smythe posted:

the video is super eye opening. quiet day, sunny skies, completely placid. walking down the street, nothing but little birdies chirping. boom dead, life shattered forever. these cars are too big, too powerful. the drivers are undertrained and not suitable to be operating such machines. its terrible. we really hosed up as a society. we will look back on this era in horror and bewilderment.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

that video was extremely upsetting

mystes
May 31, 2006

unfortunately that video was not at all surprising. Drivers just don't look for pedestrians or give the slightest poo poo about hitting them

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mystes posted:

unfortunately that video was not at all surprising. Drivers just don't look for pedestrians or give the slightest poo poo about hitting them

no one in any country obeys stop signs outside of driving school lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I do

people loving hate it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't actually see any stop signs in that video, are they hiding or just not there for reasons?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I doubt the driver was looking where they were going at all. they probably would have driven into the broad side of a barn or at best a brick wall painted like a street Wile E Coyote style

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I got honked at today cause I didn’t want to blast a left turn with a giant pickup turning left so I couldn’t see behind it, and wasn’t comfortable. And they had been riding my rear end despite us being in a 25/20MPH zone. gently caress cars! gently caress drivers!

mystes
May 31, 2006

leftist heap posted:

I doubt the driver was looking where they were going at all. they probably would have driven into the broad side of a barn or at best a brick wall painted like a street Wile E Coyote style
if only, if only

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah, then you get "car plows into children's birthday party" instead, which surely hasn't already happened:

quote:

A birthday cake may have saved kids' lives Sunday after an out-of-control car slammed into the front of the Bronx party hall.

About 15 kids were celebrating a 5-year-old girl's birthday party in Baby Power Forever Kids in Wakefield at about 6:40 p.m., when a sedan barreled through the front window, one of the hall's owner said.

Luckily, the children had moved into the back of the party spot and were singing "Happy Birthday" and waiting for a slice of cake.

The car sent a desk flying into one owner, Juliet Anderson, and hit her co-worker inside the venue on White Plains Road near E. 236rd St., cops and witnesses said.

The birthday girl's dad also needed to be hospitalized for a panic attack after the close call and seeing the wreckage, Anderson said.

The disoriented driver tried to leave, but the adult partygoers prevented him from taking off, said David Perez, 19, who ran to the scene with his cousin after hearing the crash.

"Thank God that no kids got hurt," Perez said.

The driver, Charles Jones, 61, received a summons for reckless driving.

The sidewalk is at least double wide, how the gently caress did he manage to plow straight into the store?? Just mashing the gas from the parking lot across the street?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Favorite line from the article :

quote:

"Thank God it was birthday cake time,"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

it's the same reason American's oppose taxes because we're all temporary embarrassed millionaires that will one day be punished under high taxes. every one drives a car: "it can just 'happen to anyone! i don't want to get punished when i accidentally maim so therefore it's bad other people get punished". we accept that murder is okay if it's done by a car because any american might do a murder at any second -- just out of negligence because we looked down at our phone to check facebook for too long.

this goes all the way up to the elite, the judges, the jurors, the lawyers, the politicians, the doctors, the small business owners, all to the poor. we're all acutely aware we don't want punishment for doing bad thing and we might do a bad thing at any second, that's why pleas for 20 hours of community service are the norm for car murdering. it's why that one lady who plowed through a bunch of cars at 160mph and was caught doing it 9x before wasn't punished.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

it's why that one lady who plowed through a bunch of cars at 160mph and was caught doing it 9x before wasn't punished.
If you're talking about the nurse I think she's at least being charged with a bunch of stuff but her trial hasn't started yet

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

You know what you do when your view is obstructed? You drive extremely slowly and carefully you dumb loving piece of poo poo

if you wanna get shots fired into your car for making the guy behind you slow down, yeah

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mystes posted:

If you're talking about the nurse I think she's at least being charged with a bunch of stuff but her trial hasn't started yet

well now she is, but it shouldn't have taken 9x other reckless driving incidents of maiming people for something to finally stick

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

eXXon posted:

Yeah, then you get "car plows into children's birthday party" instead, which surely hasn't already happened:

The sidewalk is at least double wide, how the gently caress did he manage to plow straight into the store?? Just mashing the gas from the parking lot across the street?

That's how pedal confusion works. The driver puts their foot down on the gas when they intended to go for the brake, panics, and then keeps mashing on what they think is the brake until they hit something they can't drive through.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Xaris posted:

well now she is, but it shouldn't have taken 9x other reckless driving incidents of maiming people for something to finally stick

iirc she was actually in double digits, right? like 13x crashes?

being a broken record here but incidents like that are so revealing. we have this whole drivers license thing where you're supposed to prove that you're able to handle the responsibilities of using a piece of heavy machinery in public, but there's absolutely no mechanism for permanently rescinding your license after you prove that you aren't actually handling those responsibilities

like you get in trouble for driving without a license, because we can all agree that driving is a serious responsibility. but once you have a license, it's no longer a serious responsibility, it's something you can gently caress up over and over and over again until you incinerate a bunch of people and a pregnant mother and the government is like "drat that's wild, maybe everyone should have been more careful or something. anyways she sure was a bad driver"

if she somehow gets a lawyer that gets her off the charges, is there anything that would even stop her from jumping right behind the wheel again? and shouldn't there be? shouldn't there have been after the first crash she caused?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

if she somehow gets a lawyer that gets her off the charges, is there anything that would even stop her from jumping right behind the wheel again?

I can think of some things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

cool av posted:

if you wanna get shots fired into your car for making the guy behind you slow down, yeah

nbd just return fire with your own gun. Didn’t they cover this on your state’s driving test?