Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

He should just follow a guide then because it's reasonable strict enough that you need a pretty set schedule to get absolutely everything done

I still think the games are way more fun if you don't try to do everything in one go since you get to take your time and just enjoy what you do see :shrug:

Plus if you really like it it's not terrible on a new game+ since you don't have to build your stats and can just absolutely smash your way through combat with end game personas

I literally rotate 5 different saves and have on every RPG I've ever played though. I honestly don't think I've gone back more than like.. two saves at most but dang it, what if one breaks or I forgot something!

He doesn't want to use a guide, doesn't want to play the game twice, he's something kind of maniac imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

He doesn't want to use a guide, doesn't want to play the game twice, he's something kind of maniac imo.

I’m sympathetic to some of this. Guides are OK, but more for course direction and checking where you are at. I rotate through all 16 slots, because I’m a maniac. I have literally never loaded one of those old ones, but it feels good as an insurance policy.

This game is OK, but there’s no way I’m going to NG+ it. Way too long for that.

Reloading for optimal stat gains is literally insane.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Pwnstar posted:

This reminds of the endurance run back in the day, and there is nothing wrong with just going in for a first playthrough without knowing anything. This is not like SMT where he will get completely blindsided and not be able to progress without massive amounts of grinding, though he will probably miss so many things without a guide.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also it's far easier to do a lot of stuff in Royal, the first time I played P5 i maxed like 3 or 4 confidants total

the only guide stuff I do is the S-link responses because that's not too hard to just have on the phone

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Flair posted:

This reminds of the endurance run back in the day, and there is nothing wrong with just going in for a first playthrough without knowing anything. This is not like SMT where he will get completely blindsided and not be able to progress without massive amounts of grinding, though he will probably miss so many things without a guide.

I always recommend new players to P5/R find and use a spoiler-free guide. Too easy to miss some MAJOR things otherwise.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

That way lies madness, but honestly as long as he's having fun it's fine

I literally cannot imagine playing any game using only a single save slot though

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also it's far easier to do a lot of stuff in Royal, the first time I played P5 i maxed like 3 or 4 confidants total

the only guide stuff I do is the S-link responses because that's not too hard to just have on the phone

Yeah I do use a guide for that, and I'mma be honest for demon negotiation as well. Mostly though because some of the max point responses are a bit unintuitive to me, though the demon responses are way worse. Like I get that I need a jokey answer for something, but then the jokey answer is just "I'll make you into soup" when the demon said "don't make me into soup." I don't get how that's jokey :psyduck:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I’ve used a guide on this game I’ve screwed up somehow. One way or another something is JUST ENOUGH OFF to make it a game of catch-up or modifying things. I also learned in Royal that if you do mess up you most likely will still have wiggle room to 100% your confidants. I spent the majority of the last month going to the jazz club and meditating for more SP

As always take your time and relax. This game is too much fun to worry about the little things

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Spiffster posted:

As always take your time and relax.

Really tired of people speaking for the Devs like they have some special insight.

If the game wanted me to take my time, I feel like they'd mention it somewhere in game. This just strikes me as theorycrafting.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I always have two in case one file somehow breaks.

Yeah I don't think I've had a save file corrupt on me in like 15 years but boy do I remember the last time it happened late into a game where I only had the one!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Really tired of people speaking for the Devs like they have some special insight.

If the game wanted me to take my time, I feel like they'd mention it somewhere in game. This just strikes me as theorycrafting.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

You know, I guess I haven't really looked but the first time I was playing the game I could never really figure out what the most efficient options for building your social stats were, outside of things like studying when it's raining where the game makes it a really obvious point.

Everything seemed roughly similar outside of those sorts of events. Aside from shoving a million burgers into Joker's face since it built multiple stats (or maybe I'm confusing that with my replay of P4G and the meat dimension)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Royal actually takes away the best ways to build Knowledge early on by removing the diner until May and making the library give a point of Guts instead of a second Knowledge point in the first month. Of course, it doesn't really change that it's very easy to max everything.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

:thejoke:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arist posted:

Royal actually takes away the best ways to build Knowledge early on by removing the diner until May and making the library give a point of Guts instead of a second Knowledge point in the first month. Of course, it doesn't really change that it's very easy to max everything.

Yeah it's pretty easy to just max everything anyway, since all the options seem like they're about as good as the others for the most part. I feel like there's probably some sort of optimal activity for each stat in theory though? But they all seem to give roughly 2 points, sometimes 1 unless a special condition like rain or whatever occurs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

Royal lets you study in Leblanc which is a night slot for 2-3 points depending on the weather though, and you can do it before you're even allowed to free roam Shibuya during the day. Also in vanilla before you were allowed out at night there were a lot of nights where Morgana just said gently caress you go to bed that Royal now lets you do activities around Leblanc including studying.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy to just max everything anyway, since all the options seem like they're about as good as the others for the most part. I feel like there's probably some sort of optimal activity for each stat in theory though? But they all seem to give roughly 2 points, sometimes 1 unless a special condition like rain or whatever occurs

Unless you're getting a free read in, or getting some other bonus, you should be getting 2-3 notes per activity, not 1-2. There are 1s like mopping the LeBlanc floor and failing the first burger challenge but as a rule you shouldn't do them more than once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It should be noted that P5R gives you an absolutely absurd amount of free points for a variety of things so you absolutely don't need to min-max super hard to max everyone out. I think the only reason I even came close to failing that was because I literally forgot Devil existed until near the end.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Same but with Hanged Man. Hell how many people even bother getting their free skill smoothie every week

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

Same but with Hanged Man. Hell how many people even bother getting their free skill smoothie every week

tbf I'd be very surprised if more than 1/3 of first time players even knew about the smoothie when they finished the game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think my favorite is a couch you can sit on in the new area for free Guts (?) points literally one time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think my favorite is a couch you can sit on in the new area for free Guts (?) points literally one time

Yep, it's real good

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm up to the 4th palace and feeling pretty burned out, send help. Trying to rush through every palace in one day is definitely contributing to viewing them as a chore, so maybe I need to stop doing that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the problem i have with palaces is I get far enough in them that deferring the rest of it to another day feels silly

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just take your time. You have plenty in Royal although it becomes almost trivial to one shot most the dungeons later in the game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also Palace 6 is annoying because (minor gameplay spoilers) at about the halfway point they make you leave, but you're forced to come back the very next day so there's no reason to not just finish it in one play session.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I really think Persona 6 should have a save you from yourself thing that breaks it up more since I assume feeling the need to rush is a common problem, but if they feel like it's not their problem if people choose to play in dumb ways that's fair.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think having it be a soft cap based on SP items being rare is a reasonable/natural way to do it though it did make it so I almost never used SP items in base P5

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol I forgot Hierophant gives you kindness points for completing ranks even after you're past the rank that's gated by max kindness. :downs:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly I hope whatever P6 turns out to be just leans into the fact that most people want to blitz the palace in a day and lets you. I also agree with the earlier sentiment that dungeon diving shouldn't take a timeslot and should have it's own dedicated time so those who can't/don't want to do a dungeon in one day aren't penalized.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sydin posted:

Honestly I hope whatever P6 turns out to be just leans into the fact that most people want to blitz the palace in a day and lets you. I also agree with the earlier sentiment that dungeon diving shouldn't take a timeslot and should have it's own dedicated time so those who can't/don't want to do a dungeon in one day aren't penalized.

I guess the question for me is if people would still want to blitz them if it didn't use up extra time slots to go back. Maybe some people would do it anyway, but I think a lot of the impetus for it now is min/maxing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I always blitzed them because I don't want to use up day slots. Someone said it earlier, but if it was more like the hidden hour I'd be happier doing smaller, quicker excursions.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's the best way to raise guts? I'm at 2 and there's two confidants I can't even start yet

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Idk but there's a guide to the worst way to raise guts in the golden age arc of Berserk

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

What's the best way to raise guts? I'm at 2 and there's two confidants I can't even start yet

Books, movies/tv, and burger challenges. Also when you start Death you get guts from going up the ranks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gaius Marius posted:

Idk but there's a guide to the worst way to raise guts in the golden age arc of Berserk

Causality dictated that was the only way to raise Guts

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want to max everything in the first playthrough because I'm not sure if my attention span will allow me to replay the game a second time, but at the same time I don't want to use a strict guide cause I like doing what I want. But I guess I have to because I'm using EN voices for my 1st playthrough of Royale, so I need to do a 2nd one if I want to play the game how God intended (with JP voices and max social links).

I think I gave up on my 2nd playthrough of P5 because I was fooling around in Kamoshida's Palace and got myself kicked out for getting caught at 100% security and apparently the shock of not being super optimal crushed my spirits and destroyed my willingness to keep playing. At least that doesn't happen in P5R.

I think my dumbest thing was failing my 2nd playthrough of base P4 because I forgot to allot enough time slots to the Death arcana grandma because I took her for granted. The lesson here is don't take old people for granted, cause one day you'll regret not spending enough time with them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

HootTheOwl posted:

Causality dictated that was the only way to raise Guts

Can't wait to raise my Griffith Social Link.

In complete seriousness, a Persona/Berserk be something else. Raise your bond with the Band of the Hawk.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't they all die in Berserk.

Like I've only interacted with the series through cultural osmosis but I thought everyone but like 3, 4 peeps in the Band of the Hawk died.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Don't they all die in Berserk.

Like I've only interacted with the series through cultural osmosis but I thought everyone but like 3, 4 peeps in the Band of the Hawk died.

Yep. Pretty much all the Band of the Hawk dies horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should add a route where you can cause the eclipse in P4.