Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Throatwarbler posted:

I think the diesel gate settlement with vw was that vw is now responsible for building America's charging network. It's what the Ford uses right? Better make sure those chargers don't have water pumps.

Quoting wiki

quote:

As part of a consent decree reached with United States officials in 2016, Volkswagen agreed to numerous actions, with US$2 billion in total, to promote electric vehicle use over 10 years to atone for the additional air pollution it caused. One aspect of the program was a pledge to establish a public electric vehicle charging network.

So "a" network not "the" network. Electrify America is the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The State of Michigan has posted positions related to the VW electric car grid rollout, if anyone is an Environmental EngineerTM

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Infinotize posted:

It is an extremely un AI car but I have a hard time faulting my wife’s fusion hybrid. It cost $17k a few years ago with 10k miles, now it has 60k and is worth like $23k. It has averaged 45 mpg over that distance. It gets 600 miles to a tank. It’s roomy and fairly quiet. It’s new enough to have carplay and a simple reachable touchscreen with hvac buttons and no stupid gimmicks. It’s fast enough to merge on insane texas highways no problem.

The interior isn’t amazing, but doesn’t creak. Yeah the motor is a piece of poo poo when you floor it and it’s a cvt. There was an issue with the front power window sensors that was fixed under warranty, otherwise scehduled maintenance which is dirt cheap. The worst knock is it’s not a hatch so we can’t carry bulky furniture with it.

You can do a lot worse than a hybrid sedan these days. If gas gets cheap for more than six months everyone will get amnesia and their prices will plummet again.

I had one and it was pretty good.

Except the trunk space. Almost no trunk space due to the battery. I could fit maybe 1 suitcase in there.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Modern Volvos are the most unreliable new cars you can buy, full-stop

[citation needed]

Ehh they are very popular here in the nordics. Their reliability and reputation is roughly in line with every other Euro premium brand. If you think that is poo poo then ok, but they don't seem to be worse than the Germans.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

My wife and I miss our Mazda5 so god drat much. (Thank you old lady who didnt believe in stop signs) The ID. Buzz would have been perfect for us.
But then I saw the interior, with all that white leather and fake haptic buttons. gently caress off.
I went from really excited to NOPE super quick.

Yeah same. It is like VW really doubled down on all the lovely design decisions of the new EV generation with the Buzz.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If I ever have to replace the 2007 Prius I paid $5500 for I'll consider electric. It just rolled 120k miles and I'm hoping to at least double that though. I have a commute that's 150 miles a day and an electric car will need to make that in the worst possible conditions and then also be able to do it again when it gets maybe 6 hours on a charger between my short shifts. I also don't wan't to pay a ton of money because if I'm doing that nothing will beat another cheap Prius. Thankfully the options that can do that are expanding because I won't buy a Tesla.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
This is maybe more for the dumb question thread, but...

Charging is a problem for EV ownership for apartment dwellers. Batteries are heavy and expensive. I know this. But how much battery capacity/range could be packed into a sub-pack of maybe 50 lbs? Something an apartment dweller could get into and out of their apartment for charging. Could a person do a commute of ten miles each way on a 50-lb battery pack without dipping into the main battery pack's capacity? I'm guessing not. If no, how much would a sub-pack with enough juice to drive 20 miles weigh? How bulky would that be?

(Let's assume the hypothetical apartment dweller drives a hypothetical EV the size of maybe a Honda HR-V, not an electric Hummer).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Supposedly a Model S battery pack weighs 530+ kgs? So I'd assume something 1/20th of that wouldn't store much range at all.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PBCrunch posted:

Charging is a problem for EV ownership for apartment dwellers. Batteries are heavy and expensive. I know this. But how much battery capacity/range could be packed into a sub-pack of maybe 50 lbs? Something an apartment dweller could get into and out of their apartment for charging. Could a person do a commute of ten miles each way on a 50-lb battery pack without dipping into the main battery pack's capacity? I'm guessing not. If no, how much would a sub-pack with enough juice to drive 20 miles weigh? How bulky would that be?

(Let's assume the hypothetical apartment dweller drives a hypothetical EV the size of maybe a Honda HR-V, not an electric Hummer).

Think you might be in electric bike/scooter territory though those probably can't do 50 EV miles. But you can scoot and peddle instead and bring it inside with you to charge.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PBCrunch posted:

The only working battery swapping network in the world is based around ~21 lb hand carried battery packs with a handle, which gets about 80km of scooting at low speeds out of each battery. Each scooter has a pair: https://www.gogoro.com/

Battery swapping does look like the dream. Just pull up and drop a fully charged one in.

Some more context: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/gogoro-surpasses-500-000-battery-swap-subscribers-in-taiwan-301611323.html

https://electrek.co/2021/12/21/gogoro-is-silently-crushing-the-domestic-electric-scooter-competition-and-its-not-even-close/

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 26, 2022

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

90s Solo Cup posted:

I'm leaning towards an Avalon Hybrid to replace my long-suffering LS430. Not thrilled about FWD for AI reasons but it fits the bill for a cushy, efficient highway cruiser.

You might be disappointed then because the Avalon handles like a Camaro in comparison if you're used to the LS. My wife had a bit of an adjustment period with it, but I loved it, I never really liked the floaty feel of the LS cuz I'm more of a handling kind of person so it felt perfect to me.

She had a hard time at first comparing, especially with the interior, but realized it's ridiculous comparing an LS to the Avalon. Even tho her LS was ten years old it was like taking a step down even with a brand new Avalon, the LS is that good. But she loves the Avalon now and appreciates the better handling, it's much more suited to her aggressive driving style lol

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 26, 2022

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

What about the ES hybrid? The Lexus front end is smaller and looks less horrifying, and reviews say it’s super comfy and quiet.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I also really dont like the minimalist direction Volvo is going with on the new EX90 Interior. gently caress that's going to trickle down to the eventual new EX60 too. Cross another one off the list I guess :(

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

PBCrunch posted:

Napkin math for feasibility, but:

LiIon battery energy density is 250-270 watt-hours per kg. A 50 lb backpack would then be about 22 kg or 5000-6000 watt hours. A Model 3 gets 220 miles out of its 54kWh battery. So your backpack would be about 10% of that, so maybe 22 miles. Round down to 20 miles or so due to packaging and stuff taking up battery capacity and weight and the additional overhead of a high discharge battery.

So you are pretty close!

For charging time, you could charge at about 6kW for 1 hour, or like a standard electrical outlet at 15 amps for 3-4 hours.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If all you want is for it to be man portable, why not 2x 25lb packs, or 2x 50lb packs that you just have to make two trips for but would double your range?

Lion batteries do catch fire though and the fire from a 50lb battery is going to be probably more impressive than if youe phone caught fire. Not sure you want to be charging it on your nightstand.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

i own every Bionicle posted:

LiIon battery energy density is 250-270 watt-hours per kg. A 50 lb backpack would then be about 22 kg or 5000-6000 watt hours. A Model 3 gets 220 miles out of its 54kWh battery. So your backpack would be about 10% of that, so maybe 22 miles. Round down to 20 miles or so due to packaging and stuff taking up battery capacity and weight and the additional overhead of a high discharge battery.

So you are pretty close!

For charging time, you could charge at about 6kW for 1 hour, or like a standard electrical outlet at 15 amps for 3-4 hours.

And then it's a cold winter and suddenly you can't get to work on 1 charge any more

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

i own every Bionicle posted:

So you are pretty close!

If you’re charging a lion battery at 1C you’ll need some thermal management to prevent premature wear, which would already be exacerbated by a duty cycle that had you basically fully charging and discharging daily. Plus the hardware to convert the DC coming off the battery into 240V AC that gets turned right back into DC in the car.

Realistically you’re going to need to run it at 110/15 and it’s going to spend like 50% if it’s live either fully charging or fully discharging and degrade really quickly and still only get you like 10-15 miles on a charge.

Twerk from Home posted:

The only working battery swapping network in the world is based around ~21 lb hand carried battery packs with a handle, which gets about 80km of scooting at low speeds out of each battery. Each scooter has a pair: https://www.gogoro.com/

Battery swapping does look like the dream. Just pull up and drop a fully charged one in.

Some more context: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/gogoro-surpasses-500-000-battery-swap-subscribers-in-taiwan-301611323.html

https://electrek.co/2021/12/21/gogoro-is-silently-crushing-the-domestic-electric-scooter-competition-and-its-not-even-close/

Battery swapping for cars has very high, probably disqualifying hurdles. It severely limits packaging flexibility and it’s a lot harder to guarantee pack integrity if it’s a drop out component and not integrated into the vehicle.

The new Hyundai/Kia twins can add about 200 miles in less than 20 minutes. A battery swap is t going to be much faster than that, if at all, and it’s going to be far more issue prone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anker actually has a 2024Whr Powerhouse coming out soon complete with wheels and a 30a RV connection.

https://www.reviewgeek.com/131645/anker-teases-its-biggest-and-most-capable-power-station-yet/

You can add on a battery to expand it to 4048Wh.

it's going to be far more than 50lbs though. I have the Anker 757 1229Wh and it's 43lbs. Don't forget that you have to account for all the control circuits, inverter, and cooling. I couldn't see wrangling all that on a daily basis.

I like my 757. They are correct in the 80% for 1 hour claims and full only takes about 20 more minutes. It pulls pretty much 1100w from the wall the entire charging time. The cooling fans can get a little loud, but it's not so bad.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 26, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
There's also the jackery and such

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

What about the ES hybrid? The Lexus front end is smaller and looks less horrifying, and reviews say it’s super comfy and quiet.

The ES has more sound deadening, thicker glass, etc for a more quiet ride but honestly the Avalon is super quiet and comfy. I think the Avalon looks better too, especially the nightshade edition which my wife has. The Lexus is more refined in the front yeah, to each his own but I like the more aggressive look.

It's a great comfy car don't get me wrong, it's just compared to an LS it's going to seem lacking in almost every area as a luxury car besides fuel economy.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The disappointing thing about the TNGA sedans I've tried- Camry, ES, Avalon, LS is the lack of headroom.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Even though my LS is an 07, it's incredibly hard to shop for new cars since it's generally better than almost everything under ~70k and has a sale value of like 7k. I only put 20mi a day on it so I just can't bring myself to upgrade until something like the EV6 GT is actually available or my Rivian reservation ever materializes.

Just an all-time great car and it's a shame the new ones are on a generic platform without a V8. Deep down I do want to replace it with an LC since I loved my SC400 but they just hold value too well.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Battery swapping for cars has very high, probably disqualifying hurdles. It severely limits packaging flexibility and it’s a lot harder to guarantee pack integrity if it’s a drop out component and not integrated into the vehicle.

The new Hyundai/Kia twins can add about 200 miles in less than 20 minutes. A battery swap is t going to be much faster than that, if at all, and it’s going to be far more issue prone.

My other concern with swap out batteries in cars is as you say the packaging, and just how securely it can be mounted in the event of a crash. It can't just clip in like a power tool, it's gunna need to be bolted, and what happens as those threads wear, and again as you say, just how quickly can it be done, as fast charging seems to be aiming for ~20mins/80% capacity?

Edit: Strongly desire an LS600h for my next car. Value proposition is insane, especially here where I can get them ex-Japan in large numbers.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If you want to buy a 2023 Challenger or Charger they've put all their allocations online.

https://www.dodgegarage.com/horsepower-locator

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, that web site sure has “attitude” in spades.

quote:

We might not be able to "HELLCAT ALL THE THINGS!" but we sure as hell are going to Jailbreak all the SRTs for the ultimate possible customization.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

davecrazy posted:

If you want to buy a 2023 Challenger or Charger they've put all their allocations online.

Their “read this” includes something that makes me rage:

quote:

You'll be waking up your neighbors soon enough.

gently caress your loud cars.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

davecrazy posted:

What is Dodge gonna do without the Charger and Challenger to endlessly remix?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Their “read this” includes something that makes me rage:

gently caress your loud cars.

It'll make a nice acoustic accompaniment to their 5:30 AM Harley Warm Up sessions.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Civic Type R $43k msrp.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-a...ving-at-dealers

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I legitimately don't understand how Toyota undercut Honda pricing wise with something that is lower production, has more tech, and has extra driveline components.

I was wrong

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i bet Honda will sell as many CTRs as they want to. small volume price levels are not really cost based.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yeah but how many will they make, I need it to be exclusive like the GR Corolla

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The CTR is probably the better car imo

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but how many will they make, I need it to be exclusive like the GR Corolla

“Check out my exclusive Corolla”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Koirhor posted:

The CTR is probably the better car imo

I wouldn't be surprised either way, honestly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

The all-new 2023 Civic Type R – the most powerful and highest-performing Honda production vehicle ever sold in America

I was like "uhhhhhhhhhhh" but then I remembered that some people really think that Acura is different from Honda lmao

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My dad always said the Acura emblem was just someone took the Honda emblem, turned it upside down and squeezed the top together with a pair of pliers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sagebrush posted:

I was like "uhhhhhhhhhhh" but then I remembered that some people really think that Acura is different from Honda lmao

The NSX was Honda badged in the rest of the world, but I don't think it was ever sold here with an H?

Actually, come to think of it, a modern type R is probably way faster than an NSX, so they may not be wrong?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Twerk from Home posted:

The NSX was Honda badged in the rest of the world, but I don't think it was ever sold here with an H?

Actually, come to think of it, a modern type R is probably way faster than an NSX, so they may not be wrong?

They made another NSX though how could you forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

My dad always said the Acura emblem was just someone took the Honda emblem, turned it upside down and squeezed the top together with a pair of pliers.

It's supposed to represent a pair of calipers but yes, it shares a lot with the H.